Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken curry

Options
  • 20-05-2010 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

Okay this may be a really stupid question so bare with me because I'm a newcomer to this cooking malarkey!!

I wanna do a chicken curry with coconut like a sort of korma but not exactly but along the lines...but I have no curry powder but I do have loads of different chilis, can I use them?? Or is that just the stupidest question in the history of this forum? :confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Theres no such thing as a stupid question if you genuinely don't know the answer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruthie_

Well.....do you have the answer?! :o

I think I found the answer online tho but I don't have that many different spices in the aul cupboard, think i may have to abandon the idea.

But if anyone else knows how one would go about making a korma style chicken dish without a lot of spicey spices it would be most appreciated!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Oh sorry, I am the worst chef in the world and was gonna start a thread just like this one actually, I love a good curry but don't really have much of an idea of how to make one! I dont know the answer and well, if its a stupid question you are not the only one asking it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Ruthie_ wrote: »
    Well.....do you have the answer?! :o

I think I found the answer online tho but I don't have that many different spices in the aul cupboard, think i may have to abandon the idea.

But if anyone else knows how one would go about making a korma style chicken dish without a lot of spicey spices it would be most appreciated!!

You're either going to have to buy a Curry Powder or go out to an Asian store and stock up on spices. If it's a one off go for an "All In One" curry powder. If you intend to make more curries and like them it would be aswell to buy the spices, look up the web for a recipe and cook from scratch. More satisfaction.

Planet X wrote: »
    You're either going to have to buy a Curry Powder or go out to an Asian store and stock up on spices. If it's a one off go for an "All In One" curry powder. If you intend to make more curries and like them it would be aswell to buy the spices, look up the web for a recipe and cook from scratch. More satisfaction.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to stock up because I'm really getting into the cooking. I got my boyfriend to bring me the ones I need from his parents house! And its cooking away nicely....

Yum yum!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭antocann

get ypur self a jar of unclebens , some chicken , mushrooms , chillies .

and your gud to go

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dubh101

OH YUCK,UNCLE BENS?????????? Best too make your own.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I recommend Patak's Korma Paste.

Gently fry up an onion until golden, then add in a tablespoon or two of the paste (directions on the label). Fry that up for a minute, then brown your chicken. Add some water (about 100ml) and let this simmer for about 15 mins.

Then add some creamed coconut (Pataks do handy creamed coconut sachets) and a few ground almonds, stir that in and you'll have a lovely coconutty curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭antocann

dubh101 wrote: »
    OH YUCK,UNCLE BENS?????????? Best too make your own.:P

yeh but as the op said , there new to cooking .

so best they shoudnt try make 1 from scratch yet , unless they wanna die with the squits for the next week lol

antocann wrote: »
    yeh but as the op said , there new to cooking .

so best they shoudnt try make 1 from scratch yet , unless they wanna die with the squits for the next week lol

Haha!! Na I'm not into Uncle Ben's one bit! And I did make it from scratch!! Ended up borrowing the spices I needed and it was seriously delish!! A hit in this house anyway.

And nobody has the squits as you so eloquently put it!! :p:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

when i do curry, i just make a load, freeze two thirds, for four of us, so i get 12 meals out of it,
    can of peeled tomatoes
    7 chicken fillets
    curry powder
    cumin
    paprika
    chilli pepper
    red peppers
    mushrooms
    baby sweetcorn
    bamboo shoots
    coconut milk
    onions
    i love the result
    i start with the chicken in a good hot oiled wok, then in toss the chopped onion, then the mushrooms chopped, red peppers chopped , bamboo shoots, chilli pepper, tomatoes, baby sweetcorn, then in with the cumin, curry powder, paprika, leave the lot blend for a while, then toss in two cans of coconut milk, bring to near bubbling, then turn down heat and leave on for 20 to 30 minuits, while boiling rice, there you have it
    three meals for 4 people
    cost around 22 euro to make, and the best thing, you know what is in it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

I recommend Patak's Korma Paste.

Gently fry up an onion until golden, then add in a tablespoon or two of the paste (directions on the label). Fry that up for a minute, then brown your chicken. Add some water (about 100ml) and let this simmer for about 15 mins.

Then add some creamed coconut (Pataks do handy creamed coconut sachets) and a few ground almonds, stir that in and you'll have a lovely coconutty curry.

yeah i second pataks

after adding the chicken to the paste, i add some coconut milk and chickpeas, bring to the boil then let simmer for around 15 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭ya-what-now?

Anyone know a good substitute for coconut milk - it's deadly for fat and am trying to lose weight!

Have gotten great recepies here for chicken curries before but they'd be even better if there was some element of creamyness to them (without too much damage!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Anyone know a good substitute for coconut milk - it's deadly for fat and am trying to lose weight!

Have gotten great recepies here for chicken curries before but they'd be even better if there was some element of creamyness to them (without too much damage!!)

Natural Yogurt gives a nice tang.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I would start with a paste if you have never had curry before, much better than powder and much easier than using all the correct spices which you can move on to later after you have done it a few times. With Korma you shouldnt use coconut you should use yogurt, I find it nicer and not so sweet. You will get better mixes and pastes in an asian shop. You can use a chili and usually do. Pataks paste is quite good although I havent tried their korma.You should be able to get that in a supermarket if you dont live near an Asian shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

There's actually a pretty good jar of Korma sauce in Aldi, I think it's from the Specially Selected range. It's got the spices in the top half and a sauce in the bottom half and you just throw in meat and veg. It's not quite as nice as Korma from scratch but if you're in a hurry or dont have the spices handy it does the job nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Can I use single cream instead of coconut milk when making curry? or would it split?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

where is pataks available?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

where is pataks available?
    Tescos, dunnes, I think supervalu. I expect most supermarkets have it, its very popular and very good. Even bombay pantry have pataks stuff in their windows, I have seen many chef types on TV praise it, including Indian ones who should know their stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

Okay so first time currier (har har) but i'm looking to make a medium/mild curry. So buy according patak's paste, fry chicken in it, add veggies and coconut milk and reduce? Is this the way to go?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I cooked a simple one last night:

Fried onions.
    Dice and fry chicken breasts.
    Throw in chopped garlic, ginger, fresh coriander, cumin, paprika, hot curry paste, soy sause and finally a tin of coconut milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭johnnycee66

curry paste (pataks or sharwoods), 2 tblspns of mild, and 2 of medium
    1 onion, chopped
    3/4 chicken breasts, diced large bitesize
    tin coconut milk (full fat or lite, choice is yours)
    2 tblspns fish sauce
    lime juice, 2 tblspns
    fresh coriander, chopped

heat frying pan/skillet with a tablespn oil, fry paste for few minutes. when sizzling, add onion and fry til translucent. add chicken and fry til coloured/white all over. Add fish sauce and coconut milk, simmer to reduce by half, 20 mins. Take off heat, add coriander and lime juice - simplest there is.

Advertisement