Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland football this weekend, 21/22 May 2010

• 20-05-2010 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

Premier Division
    Friday, 21 May 2010
    St. Patrick's Athletic 19:45 Bohemian FC
    Dundalk 19:45 Sligo Rovers
    Bray Wanderers 19:45 Drogheda United
    Galway United 19:45 U.C.D.
    Shamrock Rovers 20:00 Sporting Fingal

First Division
    Friday, 21 May 2010
    Salthill Devon 19:00 Finn Harps
    Longford Town 19:30 Monaghan United
    Derry City 19:45 Limerick
    Waterford United 19:45 Cork City
    Shelbourne 20:00 Wexford Youths

Saturday, 22 May 2010
    Mervue United 14:00 Athlone Town

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Big game for us against Pats, they'll be out for revenge. If we win we can take top after our games in hand. Would take a draw.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Pure_Cork wrote: »
    Premier Division
    Friday, 21 May 2010
    St. Patrick's Athletic 19:45 Bohemian FC

i have a fair bit of confidence going into this one - which is a very unfamiliar feeling. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

shels seem to have a good few injuries, hope we (wex) can sneak a draw tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

adamski8 wrote: »
    shels seem to have a good few injuries, hope we (wex) can sneak a draw tonight

We're looking very light in midfield with injuries and a suspension, probably see a few of the A League brought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

We're looking very light in midfield with injuries and a suspension, probably see a few of the A League brought in.

We've got some Aussies in? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

1-0 bohs :(

Quigley subbed after one of the most scumbaggery tackles i have ever seen, ref hadnt got the bottle to send him off so Fenlon took him off.

Sickening tackle, Coughlan gone to hospital with a brace on his leg :(

1-1 :D
    2-1:D
    3-1:D

3-1 HT

we ****ing destroying them, they a seriously dirty team.

still expect them to win tho :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Hancock bottled it as he always does. How the hell do you only have 2 minutes added time at the end of the half?. Coughlan was down for 4 minutes with that injury at least.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    1-1 :D
    2-1:D
    3-1:D

3-1 HT

we ****ing destroying them, they a seriously dirty team.

still expect them to win tho :(

This is awesome! Have to keep the heads second half. Bohs are up to nothing.

Scandalous tackle by Quigley, actually felt sick after that one

Coughlan open fracture on his Tibbula, pretty much finished playing football for this season and possibly ever.

Anyone know the full rules on what i can say about that tackle and quigley?

Easily the worst tackle i have ever seen in my life, it was vile. Not pleasant of Setanta to keep showing it. thankfully their crappy pixelatted coverage hides the fact his leg is barely attached anymore.

• Advertisement

3-1 FT

FT Bray Wanderers 2 - 2 Drogheda United
    FT Dundalk 1 - 0 Sligo Rovers
    FT Galway 2 - 2 UC Dublin
    FT St. Patricks 3 - 1 Bohemians
    83' Shamrock Rovers 0 - 0 Sporting Fingal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Rovers 1-1 Fingal
    Chambers. Crowe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Hancock bottled it as he always does. How the hell do you only have 2 minutes added time at the end of the half?. Coughlan was down for 4 minutes with that injury at least.

Hancock is not fit to referee. Although I didn't see the incident tonight, his usual standard of refereeing is shocking, to put it nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Interesting to hear Barry Murphy was shite tonight for Bohs while over in Tallaght Mannus had a great game for rovers and pulled off some unbelievable saves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Interesting to hear Barry Murphy was shite tonight for Bohs while over in Tallaght Mannus had a great game for rovers and pulled off some unbelievable saves.

Some top-drawer saves from him tonight.

Chambers scored in the 88th minute, then Fat Boy in the 89th. :(

Has to be one of the most open leagues for a long while and I think Fingal will be right in the mix.

Sorry to hear about the Pat's lad. Hope it's not career-threatening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Shelbourne 1-2 Wexford Youths

:D

stovelid wrote: »

Sorry to hear about the Pat's lad. Hope it's not career-threatening.

Career ending is his mates who with him hospital opinion, shame really showed promise. it wasnt a tackle, it was UFC take down, honeslty dont know what quigley was thinking, played for us for years and never once tackled anyone. shocking tackle.

Bohs keeper is easily the dodgiest keeper i have ever seen he looks like a pussy, in 3 games the guy doesnt command his box. Something our keeper couldnt do last season but this season is the best keeper in the league :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Great win.

Feel very sorry for Coughlan.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Bohs keeper is easily the dodgiest keeper i have ever seen he looks like a pussy, in 3 games the guy doesnt command his box. Something our keeper couldnt do last season but this season is the best keeper in the league :confused:

Surprised (albeit happy ;)) to see that he's doing so badly, but I do think he's a quality keeper.

Surprised (albeit happy ;)) to see that he's doing so badly, but I do think he's a quality keeper.

he was aweome with you lot, just now doesnt seem into it. he was offered to us last season and i would jumped at him. now ehh no rogers is a sensation with confidence, still prone to an oopsie tho.

all our goals came from him :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

andyman wrote: »
    Shelbourne 1-2 Wexford Youths

:D

:eek:

Pippo Inzaghi was born in an offside position...and Glen Crowe was born on the scoresheet against Rovers. He's worse than Caulfield, Coyle or Morley ever were.

dfx- wrote: »

Pippo Inzaghi was born in an offside position...and Glen Crowe was born on the scoresheet against Rovers. He's worse than Caulfield, Coyle or Morley ever were.

Calling him a fat cunt when he comes on is like drinking too much: highly enjoyable but you know you will end up paying for it.

Fingal fox yoke got sorted out anyway :pac:

31076_426894798139_681618139_5467675_63313_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Freddie! Noooooo!

dsmythy wrote: »
    Freddie! Noooooo!

I missed it but was told he won the dance-off though.

dfx- wrote: »

Yep. Could have gone either way though. Youths found it much harder to break Shels down and were missing Jimmy Keohane's spark of creativity. Shels, on the other hand, hit the woodwork at least twice maybe three times and had a penalty well saved. Having said that, though, they deservedly had a man sent off and should have had another when Youths won their penalty (I don't know who they were, my knowledge of LoI is woeful compared to 5 years ago).

Oh well, 2 excellent wins against top opposition on the bounce. Hopefully we can keep it going. Tonights win was even greater since we were missing arguably our best player in Keohane. Hard to think this could be his last season with us :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Four times, we hit the post four times. :(

Töpher wrote: »
    Four times, we hit the post four times. :(

I knew it was an obscene number alright. Deano Broaders was woeful at LB for us as well. Looked really nervous. Who was it that got sent off for you lot? And who was the lad that commited the foul for the penalty?

Was my first away game with Youths and I have to say I was astonished by the amount of singing we did. Excellent atmosphere from our end. Some of the kids supporting Shels though were disgusting! Spitting at us and everything (although one of our fans wasn't exactly a saint either!). I don't remember anything like that happening when I was frequently going to away games with Bray (used to live there).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

(although one of our fans wasn't exactly a saint either!)
    He was worse to be honest presuming we're talking about that racist/sexist scumbag with the cockney accent, I was the chap who ended up having a go at him because I couldn't listen to him anymore, and at least the idiots that call themselves Shels fans got kicked out for what they did. And that chap who was spitting on the Wexford flag will never be allowed in Tolka again, I can assure you of that. The cretin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

I have a feeling that is the end for Dermot Keely now, surely he will walk or be sacked.

Great game up in Tallaght, good attacking game from both sides. Fingal had the better of the chances and Mannus made some great saves from O'Neill.

Have a feeling this it will be Pats year unless the get some injuries or suspensions at the back.

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    I have a feeling that is the end for Dermot Keely now, surely he will walk or be sacked.

Great game up in Tallaght, good attacking game from both sides. Fingal had the better of the chances and Mannus made some great saves from O'Neill.

Have a feeling this it will be Pats year unless the get some injuries or suspensions at the back.
    It is as yet unconfirmed, but he has gone, with Matthews coming in as our new manager. Should be announced during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I knew it was an obscene number alright. Deano Broaders was woeful at LB for us as well. Looked really nervous. Who was it that got sent off for you lot? And who was the lad that commited the foul for the penalty?

Was my first away game with Youths and I have to say I was astonished by the amount of singing we did. Excellent atmosphere from our end. Some of the kids supporting Shels though were disgusting! Spitting at us and everything (although one of our fans wasn't exactly a saint either!). I don't remember anything like that happening when I was frequently going to away games with Bray (used to live there).

Yeah, your left back was a definite weak link alright, in the first half almost everything Shels created came down that side.

Clarke was sent off for us, not sure who made the foul for the penalty, I was down the other end for that half and could barely see straight for the rage consuming me. Or was it depression? :confused:

CSF wrote: »
    He was worse to be honest presuming we're talking about that racist/sexist scumbag with the cockney accent, I was the chap who ended up having a go at him because I couldn't listen to him anymore, and at least the idiots that call themselves Shels fans got kicked out for what they did. And that chap who was spitting on the Wexford flag will never be allowed in Tolka again, I can assure you of that. The cretin.

Yeah it was a bit funny at first but then everyone realised what an idiot he sounded. He definitely had a few beers on him, though because one of the lads I was with was saying he's usually a bit of a wind-up as opposed to full-on aggressive.

To be honest, I'd rather the Shels fans that were spitting at us were kids. If they were adults then I would have been very, very worried. Still a horrid thing to see at a game though. Never seen that anywhere.

Yeah it was a bit funny at first but then everyone realised what an idiot he sounded. He definitely had a few beers on him, though because one of the lads I was with was saying he's usually a bit of a wind-up as opposed to full-on aggressive.

To be honest, I'd rather the Shels fans that were spitting at us were kids. If they were adults then I would have been very, very worried. Still a horrid thing to see at a game though. Never seen that anywhere.
    Yup horrible stuff altogether, if its any consolation I hadn't seen them before at Tolka, and with our attendances recently you'd nearly know every face:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

FreeOSCAR wrote: »

Keely was going to walk earlier this month but the board begged him to stay, now he's moving to over look the schoolboy section with Matthews coming in as manager, as CSF said, it's all but confirmed but should be wrapped up mid-week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Freddie took a dive just to make Hooperman feel better;)

Great second half of football. Easily the most enjoyable game of the season. 1-1 was a fair result although we could have nicked it at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Terrible incident in the Bohs Pats match.

Mark "thick bollix" Quigley went over the top of the ball and two footed into Gareth Coughlan. Hancock less than 5 yards away only books him.:rolleyes:

Then hands out 2 more yellows for handbags. Meanwhile the young fella is being stretchered off to hospital.

Quigley and Hancock hang your heads in shame.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Barry Murphy has been very poor for us. Results this year have shown how important Brian was, but I suppose he probably is one of the best keepers of all time to play in the league.

Barry Murphy has been very poor for us

Still the best keeper in the league on his day....when things are going his way.

Mannus has more mental strength and good attitude in his big toe than Baz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Yeah he is a real dick alright! No one likes him afaik, except his two little pals it seems. His excuse was "sure im just enjoying myself":rolleyes: yeah at the expensive of others u twat. Think he was the guy that got us in trouble before with racist shiite. sitting well away from him in future. I dont even think he was drinking!

Crazy match though, had a bet on the draw, youths will always get the result you dont expect!

• Advertisement

Then hands out 2 more yellows for handbags. Meanwhile the young fella is being stretchered off to hospital.

Quigley and Hancock hang your heads in shame.

Murphy told coughlan to get up and S Byrne went for him, thats why both were booked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

enjoyable game in the rsc, a game that city should have won. how that goal in the second half was flagged offside was beyond me.

waterford have struggled since george came in and switched to 4-5-1.

the hell was Ross Hogan doing for the own goal? :confused:

Terrible incident in the Bohs Pats match.

Mark "thick bollix" Quigley went over the top of the ball and two footed into Gareth Coughlan. Hancock less than 5 yards away only books him.:rolleyes:

Then hands out 2 more yellows for handbags.

Anto then got booked for fek all down in the corner a few minutes later too - linesman on the stand side was no help whatsoever

Still feeling sick over that thuggery(sp) from Quigley, I can't believe I was defending him when the lads were booing early in the game - look at the replay, coughlan sat up in shock looking at what used to be his leg, poor young lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

theteal wrote: »
    Anto then got booked for fek all down in the corner a few minutes later too - linesman on the stand side was no help whatsoever

Still feeling sick over that thuggery(sp) from Quigley, I can't believe I was defending him when the lads were booing early in the game - look at the replay, coughlan sat up in shock looking at what used to be his leg, poor young lad

In fairness, Anto made a ridiculously stupid lunge in the corner that time. Jumped in with both his feet off the ground, but Kenna jumped out of the way luckily enough.

Was sickening seeing yound Coughlan trying to move his legs. Shocking stuff.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

We were in charge of the first half... then we fell apart at the back. Pats bossed the second and could have added a few more.

Disgusting tackle from Quigley, nobody wants that sort of **** on their team.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Must have been a rule change during the week that I missed.

Apparently it's ok to be six yards inside the box when the opposition are taking a penalty.

Wasn't aware of that Mr Doyle and I bow to your superior knowledge of our game.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Happy enough with the point in the end. Cracking match, particularly the first half. UCD are a good footballing side, always looked to play it on the ground, their keeper nearly always started attacks with a throw to one of his defenders, which was refreshing to see.

Corry impressed me a lot. Was always looking to dink the ball in behind the Galway defence; faded a bit in the second.

Galway played well. They dominated after the early goal and deserved to be in front 2-1. Even in the second half the dominated possession, I reckon both sides were fairly jacked running around in that heat though - would've been difficult to maintain thos srots of levels for the full 90. That said, UCD looked dangerous any time they got the ball moving.

Flood was industrious as ever. Foley (surprisingly!) had a great game. Besides the usual hustle and bustle he actually played a number of neat passes. Bobby Ryan was hot and cold, played a lovely reverse pass over the top of the UCD defence in the second half but was kept quiet for most of the game.

Good to see O'Donnell back after suspension too. The side need him so much to knit things together. It's just those small bits of composure he shows throughout the game - taking an extra touch past a player, turning into space, spreading the ball wide - than can make a huge difference. Particularly as most of our goals come from the front men.

Barry Ryan was solid again, apart from UCD's equaliser. Why he didn't just backheel it out or thump it out of play I don't know. He made some spectacular saves in the match, his concentration just lets him down at times. Unfortunately it resulted in a goal this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

It is as yet unconfirmed, but he has gone, with Matthews coming in as our new manager. Should be announced during the week.

Matthews is by far a better manager, you get the feeling from Keely that he doesnt give a feck most times . You need more than screaming and shouting to be a good manager.

Matthews is by far a better manager, you get the feeling from Keely that he doesnt give a feck most times . You need more than screaming and shouting to be a good manager.

I'm no fan of Keely but if he's one thing, he's a winner.

It breaks his heart not to be winning things.

I'm not sure if anyone else has won LoI titles with three diferent clubs, and that's something that he has has done.

Anyway, seems like fun times ahead.......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I've just seen Quigley's tackle on Setanta..it doesn't look as bad as the descriptions of it from the main camera angle tbh. The end result does though

• Advertisement
Advertisement