Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5 wasted years

• 20-05-2010 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

A friend of mine worked in a retail outlet for 5 years. She became pregnant and her employer would not continue her employment. when she looked for her social welfare entitlement she discovered that her employer had not been paying her prsi and paye. She was not entitled to social welfare or any other benefit. This happened 4 years ago but I was wondering if there is anything she could do now to claim the social welfare payments that she did not receive, and should her ex employer be held responsible for his non compliance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Firstly she can sue for wrongful dismissal.

Secondly he can, and should be prosecuted by the Revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

The employer is obliged to deduct and pay PRSI on behalf of staff. Did your friend never receive a payslip or P60 at any stage during the 5 years of employment?
    If not it would appear that they were not registered as an employee. I would contact the employer and state that Social Welfare has refused to pay the entitlements which she is entitled to.
    If the employer refused to issue a P60 and remedy the situation then you friend would have no alternative but contact the local Inspector of Taxes and inform them the PAYE/PRSI was not operated properly by the employer. The Revenue will probably do an audit and insist that the contributions are paid.
    If 4 years have now passed it may not be worth the hassel for very little return.
    She should not have accepted that her PRSI was not paid!!

Advertisement