Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What gives you hope?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nelly1912

i really want to thank everyone here for postiing on this thread, as someone who is going through a very hard time and finding it hard to have hope, reading your posts and looking at the videos etc really brought a bit of sun to me. thank you very much xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

I heard on the radio today (I think it was Joe Duffy) people discussing David Norris for president. An 'aul wan' rang in and was asked could she see Mr Norris' sexuality being an issue. 'No' she said, 'so long as he didn't try to paint the Aras canary yellow. Other than that why would it?'

On one hand I was impressed, on the other, well I feel I should warn folks, beware gay politicians, they will paint their property canary yellow.... ;D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 generallyjack

Hello all,

I just wanted to thank everyone for posting, and reading. I would also like to apologise for not getting back sooner.

I feel the best kind of warm-hearted delight when reading the posts, it's simply wonderful - it's the biscuits to my tea!

Here's something for you all:

http://www.youtube.com/itgetsbetterproject

It seems like a truly brilliant project. While things are improving for LGBT rights with every passing second, I feel that we need to make sure every message is heard in order to penetrate the unfair stigmatisation and taboo, for all our sakes.

Best wishes my dears,
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Hello all,

I just wanted to thank everyone for posting, and reading. I would also like to apologise for not getting back sooner.

I feel the best kind of warm-hearted delight when reading the posts, it's simply wonderful - it's the biscuits to my tea!

Here's something for you all:

http://www.youtube.com/itgetsbetterproject

It seems like a truly brilliant project. While things are improving for LGBT rights with every passing second, I feel that we need to make sure every message is heard in order to penetrate the unfair stigmatisation and taboo, for all our sakes.

Best wishes my dears,
    John

Too slow! :D

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056040472

• Registered Users Posts: 26 generallyjack

Whoops-a-daisy!

Thanks,
    John C:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭DS333

I know I'm going to be classed as a stark raving luniatic, but I'm going to share this with you anyway. It is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me, God.

I am gay and Catholic. Despite countless abuses from within, I decided to stay. I just couldn't believe that God was the monster they were making him out to be. As for the abuse hurled at anyone who dared to suggest that Cardinal Newman was gay... There's no such thing as a gay man in heaven! God, am I sick hearing that.

Anyway, I recently read a book about Bobby Griffith, a young man hounded to death by religion. He took his own life back in 1983 when he was 20. The book is desperately sad, especially the quotes from his journal. After all he suffered, I refused to believe that he was in hell.

My 9 year-old dog developed a very aggressive form of cancer in July and everything that could go wrong went wrong. I was scared he's die under the G/A. Then when I'd mustered the courage, I discovered that the operating theatre was contaminated with MRSA. I had nowhere to turn.

So, on a Sunday morning, I asked Bobby Griffith to prove to me that he was in heaven by healing my dog who meant so much to me. By Sunday afternoon the tumour was half the size. By Monday it was half the size again. By Wednesday it was gone, without trace.

The Catholic Church proves someone is in heaven when a miracle is performed. What I witnessed was a miracle. Benign growths do not disappear, let alone cancerous ones.

As far as I'm concerned we gays have a bona fide Patron Saint in heaven. That certainly makes me feel good and, I must confess, is mud in your eye for my so-called fellow Christians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

DS333 wrote: »
    I know I'm going to be classed as a stark raving luniatic, but I'm going to share this with you anyway. It is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me, God.

I am gay and Catholic. Despite countless abuses from within, I decided to stay. I just couldn't believe that God was the monster they were making him out to be. As for the abuse hurled at anyone who dared to suggest that Cardinal Newman was gay... There's no such thing as a gay man in heaven! God, am I sick hearing that.

Anyway, I recently read a book about Bobby Griffith, a young man hounded to death by religion. He took his own life back in 1983 when he was 20. The book is desperately sad, especially the quotes from his journal. After all he suffered, I refused to believe that he was in hell.

My 9 year-old dog developed a very aggressive form of cancer in July and everything that could go wrong went wrong. I was scared he's die under the G/A. Then when I'd mustered the courage, I discovered that the operating theatre was contaminated with MRSA. I had nowhere to turn.

So, on a Sunday morning, I asked Bobby Griffith to prove to me that he was in heaven by healing my dog who meant so much to me. By Sunday afternoon the tumour was half the size. By Monday it was half the size again. By Wednesday it was gone, without trace.

The Catholic Church proves someone is in heaven when a miracle is performed. What I witnessed was a miracle. Benign growths do not disappear, let alone cancerous ones.

As far as I'm concerned we gays have a bona fide Patron Saint in heaven. That certainly makes me feel good and, I must confess, is mud in your eye for my so-called fellow Christians.

Just watched the film. Although it's so heartbreaking, you end up having immense respect for the mom at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭DS333

Just watched the film. Although it's so heartbreaking, you end up having immense respect for the mom at the end.

That's perfectly true but I bet her heart is broken. No matter what great work she does, she can't bring him back. But... Perhaps his martyrdom was what was needed to achieve so much progress...

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭rochey84

zoegh wrote: »
    Something that made me epically happy was when my Mum went out of her way 2 years ago to find a card that said 'Happy Christmas to my daughter and her partner', and made sure that the picture on it wasn't of a male & female, it was just 2 teddy bears. She went to 4 shops to find it.

That same year my pseudo grandmother (she's like, 80 and was my grans best friend, you know how it goes...) went in and yelled at a poor guy in Easons because all their cards were boy-girl. Before me she would never have even thought about it.

Stories my Mum told me about how her best friends were all sitting around thinking how bad it was that my partner and I didn't have automatic rights, like straight couples. I thought they were going to start marching at one stage!

The fact that at my Mum funeral last year nobody batted an eyelid about my girlfriend sitting beside my brothers fiance in the second row, in relatively small town Ireland.

Of course some things make me sad, about how people judge me and put a label on me. But you know what? Other people can surprise you. And that's pretty awesome.

:)

Amazing post, really thought you captured the spirt of some of the older generations and thats really inspiring, what gave me hope a few years ago was when my cousin and her family were over from Austrailia and without me saying anything my cousins 2 youngest kids asked if I had a partner and then other family members enquired as to why my partner wasn't there, (I didn't have 1 at the time) but that kind of told me that my family couldn't care less who I'm with as long as I'm happy and safe, so that was pretty heart warming to me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 NotYetKatie

What gives me hope is knowing I can reach a certain level of self-happiness in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

transgender model Lea T and Kate Moss

LEA-T-KATE-MOSS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

This song always puts in in a good mood :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I thought I would grow out of loving this, but no, clearly not....

possibly offensive and or not safe for work:

faget by korn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR0UkTiKxmc&feature=related

Saw this on Reddit /r/lgbt this evening, thought it was a lovely article.

2 gay dads, 12 happy kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Saw this on Reddit /r/lgbt this evening, thought it was a lovely article.

2 gay dads, 12 happy kids.

Amazing, thanks a million for that... Quite inspiring.

• Advertisement

Brian Pines - It Gets Better Project
    We are thrilled that Google selected our project as an example of everyday people using the power of the web to do extraordinary things. And tonight, the commercial debuted on Fox’s Glee. Here is a link to the spot if you missed it

Link

Gamespot has a transgender reviewer now:

http://kotaku.com/5803703/welcome-carolyn-michelle-to-games-reviewing-youre-doing-just-fine

This is great! And fair play to her. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

“I am here to tell you that playing gay is good in every way. And that hopefully the huge increases in gay and lesbian characters will lead to more diverse and transgender-inclusive storylines.”

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Katherine Zappone has been nominated to the Seanad

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Katherine Zappone has been nominated to the Seanad

No way, that's fantastic!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

think its pretty obvious obama is pro gay marriage too, but he won "come out" and say it until after the next election.

Advertisement