Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What gives you hope?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

This made my day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭checkcheek

This made my day :)

I remember when I first saw that it gave me so much hope.

Still to this day I love it

It's so nice and I just love it(plus the guy is hot ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Domyno

Great thread, it's nice to focus on the supportive, positive stories for a change.

This is part of a series of four videos supporting gay marriage in different US states. Three of those states voted for gay marriage in November :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Lovely videos - good to see it was approved in Maine, Maryland and Washington State.
    Ireland next maybe? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

lottpaul wrote: »
    Lovely videos - sad to see same sex marriage was rejected in Minnesota but it was approved in Maine, Maryland and Washington State.
    Ireland next maybe? :)

Now correct me if I'm wrong but while the other states were voting on an amendment to allow for same-sex couples to marry, I thought Minnesota were voting on an amendment to explicitly ban same-sex marriage. Thus by rejecting the amendment, it was a vote on the side of marriage equality, in that the voted not to explicitly ban it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Cygnus wrote: »
    Now correct me if I'm wrong but while the other states were voting on an amendment to allow for same-sex couples to marry, I thought Minnesota were voting on an amendment to explicitly ban same-sex marriage. Thus by rejecting the amendment, it was a vote on the side of marriage equality, in that the voted not to explicitly ban it.

Absolutely right - :o

Thanks for that. I should have read the wording more carefully. Am off now to do suitable penance and self mortification,,,,,,,, :D

Was in work (restaurant) this evening with the friend I came out to. She was pretty sure that a table of two men she took were a gay couple and said it to me. They were in their late thirties I think.

I cleared their mains when they were done. One of the men was on his forth quarter-bottle of wine. As I was picking up the plates, the drunk one of the two asked me who I was. I told him and said where I was from.

Then he said "Ah thanks, Michael... Eoin... (both wrong!).. You're a nice young lad!"

Just made me smile coming to the end of a 10 hour shift. I'd say the other guy is getting sex tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭apache

What gives me hope is the truth coming out in the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Soldering_Iorn

Domyno wrote: »
    Great thread, it's nice to focus on the supportive, positive stories for a change.

This is part of a series of four videos supporting gay marriage in different US states. Three of those states voted for gay marriage in November :D

This is an amazing video. Although I disagree with same-sex parents and would never see myself as one, this video really makes you think! The guy with the two mothers was the nicest part IMO!

I'm sure my opinions will change, seemingly that tends to happen a lot! :rolleyes:

This is an amazing video. Although I disagree with same-sex parents and would never see myself as one, this video really makes you think! The guy with the two mothers was the nicest part IMO!

I'm sure my opinions will change, seemingly that tends to happen a lot! :rolleyes:

I'm all in favour of same sex marriage, but not so sure about same sex parents. People give as good as they get, so it's important that kids have a loving environment when growing up. They would get that with same sex parents, but I think they need the roles of mother and father / male and female carers and authority figures when growing up.

I can't see myself as a parent either. I'm only 20, so that might change in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm all in favour of same sex marriage, but not so sure about same sex parents. People give as good as they get, so it's important that kids have a loving environment when growing up. They would get that with same sex parents, but I think they need the roles of mother and father / male and female carers and authority figures when growing up.

I can't see myself as a parent either. I'm only 20, so that might change in time.

I really really don't understand why some lgbt people side with conservatives in opposing same sex couples parenting.

The academic evidence and studies have shown overwhelmingly that children parented by same sex couples are happy, healthy and sane. As well as that those opposed to same sex parenting completely sideline single parents.

These give me hope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM2oPz_rslc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVzJnTBr4uY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I really really don't understand why some lgbt people side with conservatives in opposing same sex couples parenting.

The academic evidence and studies have shown overwhelmingly that children parented by same sex couples are happy, healthy and sane. As well as that those opposed to same sex parenting completely sideline single parents.

These give me hope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM2oPz_rslc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVzJnTBr4uY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

IMO same sex relationships/parenting are very very different!
    Briefly, people argue that same sex relationships/marriage is unnatural but I disagree with this, as I feel love between two people is a natural thing and it happens. On the contrary, the case of a child having same sex parents is totally unnatural. IMO a child should have a mother and a father and it all boils down to what is morally right, nothing religious or the likes.

But hey, opinions are opinions... we all have them! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Right I think I will give my opinion on this :-)

As some of the posters have already said, same sex relationships/marrige is ok as you cant help who you fall in love with.. There really isnt any problem there..

Now do I think same sex couples should be allowed parent a child - yes

Do I think this is unnatural? No

Fair enough it might be a little different than a hetrosexual couple parenting a child in the sence that when the child is old enough to realise that both their parents are the same sex and other people have a mom and dad..

Will this impact them? Im my opinion No.

Once a child is brought up and in.a loving and happy enviornment I can't see what difference it makes.

To be honest I dont think the child as they grow up will see any difference either once they start growing up and underatand. Yes they probably will have.questions as there growing up but by then they will understand that they wete brought up in a happy and loving enviornment and should be used to the situation..

I am only 22 but if you asked me a year ago if I wanted kids I would have said no. If you ask me now yes I really really want to have/parent kids with whatever partner I will have in time..d

I want that right as I think every couole should have same sex partners or not.

At the end of the day I KNOW that myself and my partner whoever that might be when that time comes WILL and CAN bring up happy child in a supportive, happy, loving enviornment as good as any hetrosexual couple can.

This gives me hope :-)

Tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭Daith

I wonder if things were different and a single person couldn't adopt by themselves would I think differently. Possibly but that's not the reality in Ireland.

Do I think it's wrong that a single straight person can adopt a child? No. Do I think it's wrong that a single gay person can adopt a child. No. There's no difference.

However I think it's preferable in both situations that there are two parents instead of one. So I can't see any reason why I would not be in favour of giving a child two parents with full legal rights.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

For everything he's done from healthcare to civil rights, and despite what some of the minority of eejits in America might think, surely he will go down as one of the greatest US Presidents. I remember back in 2008, I was following the run up to the election really closely. I stayed up all night watching the results coming in (despite having an early start for college the next day). I had tears in my eyes as so many states started turning Blue.

The words that came up: "Barack Obama Elected" made me so happy.

He is truly trying to do his best. People say he's not doing enough, but his hands are tied as the Democrats do not hold a majority in the Congress. If only the Democrats had a majority in the House and the Senate as well as the Presidency... man, the world could be so much better.

But for the time being, Obama is doing his best. I think he is a great man, and time and history will judge him to be that.

Terry Pratchet

A friend shared this, this morning. Its fantastic! :D

Same Love

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭kingfisherdove

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I think the House and Senate will be re-elected half way through his second term, so if there is a Democratic majority in his final 2 years, he should be able to get an awful lot done for that Country. The least he has done in the last 4 years is restore my faith in humanity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

What gives you hope?

Knowing that, when you least expect it...a certain person says "don't worry lad, you're grand" ....and that's what someone says to me when they're after seeing me throw shapes on a dance floor and just have nothing but respect, even after 5 years. I can never find the words to say what I actually mean...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

What gives me hope?

I'm not gay but I'm the parent of a gay teen so I hope its okay to add my two cents :o

What gives me hope is my 16 yr old can be open about who she is and no one cares. People in the family who would have said the most disgusting things about gay people when I was that age have done a total 360 in their views and just accept her as she is.

I think the fact its not an issue and is just accepted in a "yeah whatever" kind of way gives me hope that things are changing.

There are bigots out there sadly and its not easy but there is a growing change and an acceptance that treating gay people as different is no longer okay and that gives me great hope for the future.

I have total faith that my 3 yr old will grow up and look back at the David Quinns of this world and be shocked anyone ever felt that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

eviltwin wrote: »
    What gives me hope?

I'm not gay but I'm the parent of a gay teen so I hope its okay to add my two cents :o

What gives me hope is my 16 yr old can be open about who she is and no one cares. People in the family who would have said the most disgusting things about gay people when I was that age have done a total 360 in their views and just accept her as she is.

I think the fact its not an issue and is just accepted in a "yeah whatever" kind of way gives me hope that things are changing.

There are bigots out there sadly and its not easy but there is a growing change and an acceptance that treating gay people as different is no longer okay and that gives me great hope for the future.

I have total faith that my 3 yr old will grow up and look back at the David Quinns of this world and be shocked anyone ever felt that way.

Thank you... absolutely brilliant post x

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KDII

People like you give all of us hope. By creating a safe space for your daughter in her own home you have made an amazing difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

KDII wrote: »
    People like you give all of us hope. By creating a safe space for your daughter in her own hope you have made an amazing difference.

Thank you both :o I was thinking about this last night, how far we have come in even the last 5 - 10 years and think another reason for hope is that gay rights are no longer just a gay issue, its great to see people who have no connection to anyone who is gay fight for this issue for no other reason than they think its the right thing to do. Its now mainstream and thats the biggest hope of all I think.

The anti gay brigade are a loud bunch but I think thats to convince us their numbers are large when really its the same voices over and over again. Most people are on your side and not just supporting you but fighting alongside you and we'll get there, don't ever doubt that.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Thank you both :o I was thinking about this last night, how far we have come in even the last 5 - 10 years and think another reason for hope is that gay rights are no longer just a gay issue, its great to see people who have no connection to anyone who is gay fight for this issue for no other reason than they think its the right thing to do. Its now mainstream and thats the biggest hope of all I think.

The anti gay brigade are a loud bunch but I think thats to convince us their numbers are large when really its the same voices over and over again. Most people are on your side and not just supporting you but fighting alongside you and we'll get there, don't ever doubt that.

Can you be my Mammy too? ...pleeeease, I'll be good - promise! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cosmic Maybe

A bit of good news amongst all the burgers and promissory notes....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21346220

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

A bit of good news amongst all the burgers and promissory notes....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21346220

Here's hoping we're not too far behind

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I dunno if this fits in here, but today is my 9th anniversary with my girlfriend.

:cool::cool::cool:

Apparently she was coming on to me for weeks before (I'm a bit dim like that :p) , and suddenly I realised she might like me. 9 years, countless silly fights, 3 years long distance, coming out to family and one ridiculous proposal with an upside down ring and her thinking I was going to break up with her later, here we are.

And we didn't meet on the scene- we met doing charity work for the SVP!

So for all of you whipper snappers out there who don't think they'll ever find someone, or for those who doubt that gay relationships last as long or are as serious as straight ones... well, here we are! And I couldn't be happier.

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KDII

This thread gives me warm fuzzy feelings

Advertisement