Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personl information

Options
  • 20-05-2010 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

I got a form from work asking about my marital status, if my spouse works and the names and date of birth of my children. It states on the top of the form that if I dont fill it out and I require any sick leave payments they will be witheld.

Is this leagal?? It seems like a lot of personal information to be giving my company with no idea whats its been used for. I asked my boss and he dosen't know either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Ask in writing what difference marital ar family status makes to the terms and conditions of employment. Request respone in writing (politely).

Post response here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Cant for the life of me understand why they would want this information.

your sick pay benefits are determined by what is in your contract or what has been the common practice over the previous years.

seems very personal details to be demanding from your employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

somuj wrote: »
    I got a form from work asking about my marital status, if my spouse works and the names and date of birth of my children.

Folks who are married with kids sometimes call in sick themselves when they need to look after an unwell child, or if their child-minding arrangements fall thru. Maybe they're trying to clamp down on that sort of thing by determining who has kids and paying special attention to their sick leave patterns? Paranoid, but possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollypocket10

Is it by any chance a social welfare form? Are you on sick leave at the moment or have you been recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do your Terms and Conditions include paid or contributed-to health insurance? If so, they'd definitely need the information about spouse/children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

It sounds like an insurance form to me, and as such it's the insurance company asking/getting the information, not your company.

I filled out something similar for my pension, which has a death in service benefit, though that was unrelated to sick pay. Just ask HR what it's for, and where the data will be held.

Thoie wrote: »
    It sounds like an insurance form to me, and as such it's the insurance company asking/getting the information, not your company.

I filled out something similar for my pension, which has a death in service benefit, though that was unrelated to sick pay. Just ask HR what it's for, and where the data will be held.

+ 1

I had to give this information to work for death in benefit cover so it could be something similar to that?

Advertisement