Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1D Shutter Failure - Need Help ASAP

• 20-05-2010 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Howdie folks,

The shutter failed in the 1D MKII at the weekend and I need to get it sorted ASAP before an event next weekend. Rang ISS and got a very vague answer as to cost / time of repair.

Anyone know where I can bring it to be repaired and get it back before next weekend ?

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Fireman

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Howdie folks,

The shutter failed in the 1D MKII at the weekend and I need to get it sorted ASAP before an event next weekend. Rang ISS and got a very vague answer as to cost / time of repair.

Anyone know where I can bring it to be repaired and get it back before next weekend ?

Paddy

Paddy, Sorry I'm no good to you but that is a disaster, What is the count on you're shutter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Less than 50k anyways, no idea on an exact number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

ISS will most likely ship it to Canon UK service centre.

Maybe call Canon service tomorrow morning and see what they say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

might be worth going to somewhere like conns

they tend to give you a loaner while yours is away, least then if it costs a little more and or takes a little longer you might have use of another cam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Maybe rent one for the event, are you a CPN member? suppose to get priority repairs with them.

• Advertisement

Aye I'm registered with CPN, I'd imagine it's going back to the UK regardless. It's the only piece of equipment I've ever bought used so I'm going to try get the original receipt for the purchase and see if it can be done under warranty.

Anyone ever have this happen here ? Any idea on a rough price ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

as far as I know it runs to around €300 for a new one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Paddy

If you're in the Dublin area then you can borrow mine for the weekend if it will get you out of a hole. PM your details to me and I'll give you a a shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Paddy,

my 40D is in Hertfordshire for related problems at the moment. Shutter failed to respond something like 20% of the time.

I too called ISS and they wanted an error number which I wasn't getting from the camera. I was given a number by another boardsie of the Canon service centre in the UK and sent it DHL to them. They will require payment in advance but that along with a repair to a 580 EX II came to 255 sterling, return delivery included AFAIR (don't have the note to hand).

However, the turnaround time is given as 5 working days depending on the repair, You may have it back faster but...

I had 14000 clicks or so on the camera. It's 3 months out of warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Ur unlucky with your 40Ds Calina, is that not the 2nd one?

• Advertisement

Ur unlucky with your 40Ds Calina, is that not the 2nd one?

yeah it's the second one. This one apparently can be repaired though so not complaining too much. I wasn't in the mood for buying a brand new camera given some other stuff I have going on at the moment.

The last one committed suicide. On balance if I didn't have 6 Canon fit lenses and other related equipment I'd probably switch to Nikon at this stage. They seem to be a bit more robust. That being said, the 7D looks like a nice camera so if I did have to replace, that's where I'd go.

Some people are just lucky, I've had 5 Canons and all good, knowing what I know you shoot 7D would be the way forward, all improved body and fantastic AF on it amongst numerous other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I've used my mates 7D a few times and I love it.

Ended up dealing with Canon UK directly after reading some horror stories about ISS. Also makes more sense to deal directly with the UK if ISS only act as a middelman anyways. Hopefully the CPS priority repair will turn it around before next weekend !

Thanks everyone for your help and advice ! I'll let you know of my experiences once it's back so you can make a more informed decision if your ever unlucky enough for this to happen to you also !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Paddy give me a shout during the week if you don't get it back and I'll drop you off a MKII to loan while I'm on holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Some people are just lucky, I've had 5 Canons and all good, knowing what I know you shoot 7D would be the way forward, all improved body and fantastic AF on it amongst numerous other things.

I'd have to say no to this, The 1D is first of all a professional camera, The build quality is brilliant, mine's probably shot near 100,000 frames and is still in very good condition, Where as the 20D i had (same design/build as a 7D) wasn't looking the best after 18,000 frames.

Also there seems to be some teething issues with the 7D( might be fixed now though ) I've considered going to a 7D but just can't see my self ever moving from the quality 1 series line or the 1.3 crop sensor.

I'd say a 7D is an upgrade from a 40D
    A 1D MKIII is an upgrade from a 7D or a 1D MKII...

Ricky at a guess I'd say for what Calina shoots she wouldn't like the gigantic size of a 1 series, why do you think I prefer a 5D II to a 1 series and to compare a 20D to a 7D is a bit naff.

and Calina does own a 40D!! so thats why she is thinking of the 7D!

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I'd have to say no to this, The 1D is first of all a professional camera, The build quality is brilliant, mine's probably shot near 100,000 frames and is still in very good condition, Where as the 20D i had (same design/build as a 7D) wasn't looking the best after 18,000 frames.

I've looked at the 1D Mk III in the past. I rejected it for two reasons 1) the lesser crop and 2) the cost versus its likely income raisingness. Put simply at the time I bought the first of the 40Ds, the 40D was a better option for someone like me than the 1D is. Now if I were earning a fortune shooting watersports then that might be different. But I'm not and I really can't see the point in me starting to shoot rugby and football since I've limited interest in either sport, and limited knowledge of the finer points of them. I'll recognise that the 1 series has a lot going for it but for me, it's not really an appropriate option.

The 7D, compared to a 40D has a number of finer points which I'll come to in a minute.

With respect to shutter actuation, I believe my 350D probably has around 50-60000 actuations on it now, if not more. It had about 30,000 when I sold it on and the guy who bought it (for around 200E AFAIR) still loves it.
    Ricky91t wrote: »
    Also there seems to be some teething issues with the 7D( might be fixed now though ) I've considered going to a 7D but just can't see my self ever moving from the quality 1 series line or the 1.3 crop sensor.

I'd say a 7D is an upgrade from a 40D
    A 1D MKIII is an upgrade from a 7D or a 1D MKII...

The 1D series is pretty much an upgrade from most of the Canon range with the exception of the 5D series in my view.

Because I've had prior problems with irreparable 40Ds I was looking at the possibility of what I'd replace it with. I've already decided that the 50D really isn't an option - there's not enough upgrade/improvement over the 40D to merit the money it costs. This is why I still went 40D last year when I bought the second 40D. The choice was 40D plus 100mm macro or 50D. Given the use I've gotten from the 100mm macro todate, I would say that was a wise option.

Quite a few of the watersports photographers do not appear to be going 1D. I haven't looked at the specs for the 1D Mk VI in any great detail so cannot comment on what it's like. However, the tools of choice for most of the surf and kitesurf guys that I know is a bag that has a 7D and a 5D MkII in it. Rather frequently the full frame in fact, and they are using the HD video shooting big time from the 5D Mk II.

To be honest, issues with the 40D aside, I was strongly considering getting a 5D Mk II anyway when I could fund it. The 7D has HD video on it as well, albeit on a cropped sensor. I would have had 40D + 5D MkII in mind. I absolutely need a frame rate on continuous shooting that matches at least the 40D and the 5Ds do not do this. The 7D does and it has the HD video function. Yes, it costs about 1500E but that's still almost 3000E less than a new 1D.

Again, the 1D is a very good camera. But it's not appropriate or necessary for me.

@Paddy, they started working on my camera yesterday. Hopefully have it back end of next week. All the best for yours.

@AR, that pretty much summarises the position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Ricky at a guess I'd say for what Calina shoots she wouldn't like the gigantic size of a 1 series, why do you think I prefer a 5D II to a 1 series and to compare a 20D to a 7D is a bit naff.

and Calina does own a 40D!! so thats why she is thinking of the 7D!
    Sorry!!!
    I assume you were talking to Paddy!:pac:

Advertisement