Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating Grass

Options
  • 20-05-2010 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My two dogs have gone mad eating grass in the last 2 weeks. Every morning there at it and any chance they get during the day. Both have been wormed in the last month and a half. And one of them got sick three times this evening all containing grass. Both dogs are healthy. Never have the runs and always have solid stools. Cant wrap my head around it any idea's...
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Dogs just like eating grass, even when they're not sick. Mine always do it. If one does it then the others might be copying them. If they don't get sick again then I wouldn't worry about it. I'd imagine they just started because the grass is growing fast now and is more nutritious?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Sometimes dogs will eat grass to clear out their stomach if they've eaten something they're not happy with, but most of the time they eat it cos they enjoy it. I'm convinced I have a herd of cows instead of a pack of dogs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

My lot are chomping away recently, all the new grasses for Summer have come in and they are too tasty to resist! Dogs eat grass passively to get trace eliments into their diet, they also eat it to cause digestive irritation when they are feeling a bit off - either forcing themselves to vomit or to have a bout of diarrhoea. Sometimes, they over do it and make themselves sick without meaning to. I wouldn't worry if it is just a once off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

I'm convinced I have a herd of cows instead of a pack of dogs :D

Makes two off us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I've got a goat dog - he browses happily! Never throws up, but if he eats too much long stuff, he's been known to have problems at the other end due to it turning into rope on the journey through his digestive tract...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ceduffy

people say its a sign of good weather when a dog eats grass i dont know for sure though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

If my dogs see my picking grass for the rabbits and guinea pigs then they start eating it! I swear I have a flock of sheep . . .

Advertisement