Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Camper vans...A real holiday???

• 20-05-2010 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

I think every male over 40 has a desire to own one (me included)but is it something you need to be bread into from a child....Or can everyone become a member.I hired one about 6 years ago at great expence and drove it to the spanish border and back.Have to say didnt really enjoy it...:( Matter of fact it became a bit of a nightmare...Fortune on ferries, diesel,road tolls,,gas ran out...Twice and couldnt get replacement and I got cabin fever into the bargain.To be honest can anyone sleep soundly in one of these things ...(no matter how luxurious).Have heard about people being gassed and robbed even on approved camp sites. I spent 15 years driving a truck around europe and thought this would be a natural holiday for me but somehow i just cant feel it....Comments please..;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i think its pure waste! In fact i was just watching topgear on bbc3, it was an episode wherethey went for caravan vacation! I know TopGear is far away from being... practical? Thought they did had a good few points about it...

if people whatn to do it, i dont mind, but i would choose anather way of spending mine holiday ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭fortuneteller

Havin done it i agree 100%. I know a lot of people that have spent their retirment money on one and end up selling it for half what they paid for it.
    I rekon if you dont like camping or sleeping rough dont buy one...:D

Havin done it i agree 100%. I know a lot of people that have spent their retirment money on one and end up selling it for half what they paid for it.
    I rekon if you dont like camping or sleeping rough dont buy one...:D

hehe true, but the problem in my eyes was camping it self! You go to camping spot where you see 20 more of campers, where you cant do sh*t! Cant light up fire, cant play with ball, cant put music loud, have to go to bed 11:00 etc. Like clarkson said: "its not camping its consentration camp!"

Outside mine house i have loads of "green stuff" ( and i dont speek about brake pads :D ), i can make a frie, BBQ, turn the radio up loud! ( next door neighers are very quiet, and newer complain, they all dead... graveyard...)

Back in lithuania we were going camping with tent, not in some " camping spot" but in woods near lakes... making camp fire, cooking sausages, swiming in lake... now thats camping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

When I was younger I'd always head off for the whole summer with my parents in the oul campervan!
    Absolutley loved it tbh,wouldn't usually stay in camp sites either,just travel around and stop somewhere for the night.

Travelled all around the coast here and over in europe aswell,me and my brothers used to love it anyway,apart from the fact I got travel sick a lot:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I think every male over 40 has a desire to own one (me included)but is it something you need to be bread into from a child....Or can everyone become a member.

Depends on what you make of it ...you can turn your campervan holiday into a race from boring campsite to boring campsite (or worse ...just drive to one site, stay for a fortnight and drive home again) ...or you can just go with the flow in the secure knowledge that all you'll ever need is just behind you and that you can stop (or drive on) pretty much as you please.

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    Depends on what you make of it ...you can turn your campervan holiday into a race from boring campsite to boring campsite (or worse ...just drive to one site, stay for a fortnight and drive home again) ...or you can just go with the flow in the secure knowledge that all you'll ever need is just behind you and that you can stop (or drive on) pretty much as you please.

+1, that actually would make sence!

but for god sake, dont just sit in those awefull caravan sites...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I'd love one, although I do reckon camp sites would be a bit boring. Kids everywhere. I was driving through Scotland last year and there was loads of spots that looked great to pull in for the night.
    What's the story with them, can you pull up anywhere, or does it have to be a proper camp site?

You don't have to use campsites ...just use your head and park up (and behave) in a way that nobody can object and you'll be grand.

Obviously, there are places where you mustn't park ...but these can easily be avoided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

The alternative, a package holiday? Pack your bags watching every kilogram, Sit in an airport hoping the ash cloud doesn't interrupt your plans, arrive at your destination and sit on a beech for two weeks. Watch your purchases as you'll be over your baggage allowance on your return flight :D
    The only way I can afford my annual three weeks of sun in France/Germany is in my Motorhome. Campsite choice is very important, find a nice one close to a beech or lake, good restaurants nearby and you're sorted. Unload the kayaks & bikes and the kids are happy.
    I certainly wouldn't do it any differently. Horses for courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

i got my first one just coming up to 3 years now,i had no back ground in caravanning or campers and have to say i love it,in ireland i use in conjunction with another hobby we are gone nearly every week end over the summer,when we go to france we never plan a route and use a mix of aries and campsites and never have a problem,our rule for parking for the night if it doesn't feel right,,,move

i have never been on a site in ireland but some of the french ones i have been on have the bar that stay open till late,the pool the lot and defo no curfew any way if you dont like the site just move their are loads

now its not for every body just like all hobbies some people just dont get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jinghong

what inspired me was a 3 month trip around Oz about 10 yrs back.
    never went 'inside' in 3 months All the time in the bush
    best time of my life, biggest challenge was hunting for next waterfall or billabong to swim in and chill for the day

wouldnt have used a camper there though, weather was too good

back in ireland now, hard to get herself into a tent in the best of times and new babee, so the only answer was a 7.3m battleship
    what a buzz, we love it
    its wild camping all the way though

heading down to southern europe and morocco for 3-4 months at the end of the year. Pretty much indespensible for our lifestyles I'd have say

Lough Boora last weekend outside tullamore camping beside the lake, great spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

hehe true, but the problem in my eyes was camping it self! You go to camping spot where you see 20 more of campers, where you cant do sh*t! Cant light up fire, cant play with ball, cant put music loud, have to go to bed 11:00 etc. Like clarkson said: "its not camping its consentration camp!"

Outside mine house i have loads of "green stuff" ( and i dont speek about brake pads :D ), i can make a frie, BBQ, turn the radio up loud! ( next door neighers are very quiet, and newer complain, they all dead... graveyard...)

Back in lithuania we were going camping with tent, not in some " camping spot" but in woods near lakes... making camp fire, cooking sausages, swiming in lake... now thats camping!
    If you know where to go you can still do all that but just by the sea, with waves, stars at night around a fire with a cold beer - and six billion flys

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭joed571

just bought mine last thursday in dublin and headed away to the nw200 in antrim on friday,,, first time driving one on thursday, first night sleeping on friday, loved it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Its the usual thing - try before you buy. Especially since campervans are so expensive.

We have a caravan, we love it, kids love it. Caravans are relatively cheap and have less to go wrong with them. The con is that they are a bit clunkier to move, the pro is that they're great once you get there - you unhitch and you have your car to explore in. That's why you'll see campervans with bikes & mopeds etc strapped to the back of them.

While on the one hand I can see the thrill of parking just anywhere and enjoying the wild (as I've done in a tent - and the back of a Ford Falcon in Oz), there is a great social side to campsites. Its the unwritten code that its ok to talk to other people, for your kids to play with other kids etc. Some have bars, some dont. Theres nothing to stop you getting legless at the local pub or nightclub if thats what you want.

Overall I think adults can be a bit obsessed with having "unique" experiences, the exclusivity appeals to them, whereas they be better off getting over themselves, realising that if they do one unique thing in their lives they'd be lucky, and enjoying the company of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 salmon7

Had a wonderful road trip a few years ago. Intended to stay in France but met a lovely couple and ended up driving to Portugal. What a drive in 37.5 degree heat.
    Stayed in Portugal for a few weeks camping on a sand spit. Sunshine every morning and old guys catching octopus for their brekkie.

There was one catch however.... the flies!

Mozzies
    At precisely sundown the mozzies would come out to play:pac:. One learns lessons very quickly in relation to these.

Houseflies
    The couple had a fly swatting device, rather similar to a miniature tennis racket. It contained batteries and produced a small voltage shock. What they didn't tell me was that the swatter only stunned the flies. Feeling proud at the sight of a housefly holocaust on the floor of van, which I intended on sweeping out the following morning, I went to bed only to be woken a couple of hours later by the resurrection and furtive-than-ever flies using my face as a landing and take-off strip. Nice!

I wouldn't swap it for the world:eek:..truly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

well done joed571.good meeting to start.safe travelling.them road races are always a good spot to park up too

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jinghong

Betsy Og wrote: »
    Its the usual thing - try before you buy. Especially since campervans are so expensive.

We have a caravan, we love it, kids love it. Caravans are relatively cheap and have less to go wrong with them. The con is that they are a bit clunkier to move, the pro is that they're great once you get there - you unhitch and you have your car to explore in. That's why you'll see campervans with bikes & mopeds etc strapped to the back of them.

While on the one hand I can see the thrill of parking just anywhere and enjoying the wild (as I've done in a tent - and the back of a Ford Falcon in Oz), there is a great social side to campsites. Its the unwritten code that its ok to talk to other people, for your kids to play with other kids etc. Some have bars, some dont. Theres nothing to stop you getting legless at the local pub or nightclub if thats what you want.

Overall I think adults can be a bit obsessed with having "unique" experiences, the exclusivity appeals to them, whereas they be better off getting over themselves, realising that if they do one unique thing in their lives they'd be lucky, and enjoying the company of others.

yes its good to interface with the humaniods
    I believe theres good well known wild camping spots on the continent where you will meet similar minded people
    thats my plan

When we travelled australia we missed having people to meet, although had some unique experiences in the bush there too

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭joed571

meercat wrote: »
    well done joed571.good meeting to start.safe travelling.them road races are always a good spot to park up too

its was a great weekend, wife and kids first time at a bike race, they loved it.
    me and the lads heading away to the cavan rally in it this weekend :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

Dont understand people who Shoot thousands of euros down the barrel of a gun.
    Dont understand people who join expensive golf clubs to shoot in the 100's.Dont understand people who drink in pubs every night of the week.

Many pastimes I dont understand.

But I do understand people who buy, use and enjoy Campers or Motorhomes.
    And like the Shooter, the Golfer and the Drinker, its not much fun on your own. And thats one of the reasons I like Campsites.

But its not for everybody and those of us who are into it are perfectly entitled to enjoy it in our own way.

Live and let Live.

But please observe local rules when wild camping and dont destroy it for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭coolvale

we love the campervan. we done 2 weeks in scotland last year & the year before. never once used a campsite.
    there was nights we parked up you could see or hear nothing just the wilderness & peace & quiet. fantastic .
    i know its not for everybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

coolvale wrote: »
    we love the campervan. we done 2 weeks in scotland last year & the year before. never once used a campsite.
    there was nights we parked up you could see or hear nothing just the wilderness & peace & quiet. fantastic .
    i know its not for everybody.

How did you dispose of the contents of you'r toilet and waste water?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭coolvale

there are plenty of public toilets in scotland where we emptied the toilet.
    a lot of them also have a water tap apart from the wash baisins.
    the waste water we let out on grass but kept away from streams & roadways etc. just be careful that no one see you. they could get the wrong idea & think its the toilet waste.

coolvale wrote: »
    the waste water we let out on grass but kept away from streams & roadways etc. just be careful that no one see you. they could get the wrong idea & think its the toilet waste.

Like mouldy spaghetti, toothpaste blobs and washing up liquid bubbles is going to give them the right idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

As other posters said...try before you buy. Campervaning is not for everyone. I think you have to be a bit of a free spirit and be to bothered with life's luxuries to get the most of it.
    I love it myself ,spent 6 months traveling around australia in a 79 nissan urvan pop-top...happy times

Best to buy second hand in the autumn when people are selling after the summer..:cool:

Advertisement