Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things You Never Say

Options
  • 20-05-2010 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭

So, I've spent a while reading a good few blogs and was kind of surprised at how open and honest some people are on them. I don't think I have the willpower to make a proper one of my own so I thought I'd make a thread that can be used for everyone's ramblings or whatnot. I know that's kind of what boards is in general, but this could be for things that you think about but never say because they're just a bit, well, weird.

I'll start!

I'm obsessed with the reasons why people like other people. Not in a crush way, just in general. Why am I friends with the people I'm friends with? Why are some of my friends the polar opposite of me when there are people way more similar to me that I can't really stand? Why do people just connect with other people? WHAT IS IT??
    Yeah... I think about that a lot, I don't really know why. I study psychology, could be an occupational hazard I guess? My textbooks don't really have much to say on it really, I want more of an explanation than "proximity, similarity and reciprocal liking".

So yeah, that's one of my (many) thoughts/obsessions that I never talk about IRL. Anybody got anything similar?

/anticipates thread fail.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Very ironic. It seems that things that people never say, are the things they never want to say. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I do write one of those crazy, personal blogs :P But things I never say IRL and always think, hmm... I guess I always kind of wonder when people are going to just stop being my friend. Man, that sounds so weird! But I have this huge fear of abandonment... so I always think, "Will this be our last hug?" and generally worry that something'll happen to make the people I love go away.

/weirdness :o

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I don't do personal blogs. Too... eh... personal?
    jumpguy wrote: »
    Very ironic. It seems that things that people never say, are the things they never want to say. :P
    Don't yeah think? It's a bit like raaaaaa-i-yaaaiiiin on your wedding day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I find blogs interesting, I read some peoples' blogs and really enjoy them, but then others are like seriously boring clusters of facebook statuses.... we really don't care that you had a boiled egg for breakfast love, giz a bit of philosophy there!

I kind of plan on starting one when I'm abroad, but we all know my mother will be there ONLY person who reads it.

I criticize grammar a lot in my head, and I'll say it jokingly sometimes but I'm a serious Nazi on the inside about it. There are things that infuriate me for no reason that I'd love to say outloud but I'd probably be sectioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I don't have a lot of personal stuff to even talk about. My personal life is very boring. :pac:

Of course I have the odd strange thoughts that I don't bother talking about either. Usually thinking about how things work the way they do and coming up with blatantly wrong hypotheses that I never test.

Sure it's great craic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Davidius wrote: »
    I don't have a lot of personal stuff to even talk about. My personal life is very boring. :pac:

Of course I have the odd strange thoughts that I don't bother talking about either. Usually thinking about how things work the way they do and coming up with blatantly wrong hypotheses that I never test.

Sure it's great craic.

You could spend your summer proving them with like, maths and stuff..

Or get a personal life. Try Chat Roulette. ;)

(Ah sure I'm only winding you up..:P)

I don't think I could blog. I can't even write my thoughts down in a diary, I couldn't even if it was guaranteed that nobody else would ever see it. Which is odd, because I'm quite an open person most of the time. It's probably because my feelings change a lot towards anything and everything, though I don't really talk about it. Hmm, let me see, I also wonder why I talk so much sometimes. I think it's nerves or something and I could secretly be a quieter person than I act. (Conor is probably laughing if he's reading this..)
    Yes, well, I doubt that made much sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I write and draw constantly, and I've done diaries and things like that- they all end up as bits of paper tucked away in a drawer. The reason I don't do a blog is because I usually have a clear-out every 6 months, and I just throw everything away because it's not relevant anymore. So if I did a blog everything'd be deleted soon after I'd posted it. If what I write doesn't interest me very much, it probably won't interest anyone else.

I do quite a lot thinking, but I never put it into words because it's much more easier* that way- I rarely get an opportunity to air my thoughts with other people in any meaningful way, and that's probably just as much my fault as anyone else's.

edit: much more easier? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

I just looked back over my blog, I'm obsessed with....myself? apparently.

I've a pretty odd way of looking at the world and even I know how strange my perspective can be sometimes.Most of the peronal stuff I don't talk about is because it generally makes people uncomfortable and their reactions just kill me inside.
    I'm a terrible writer,I could never write an essay to save my life,I just think that putting it all out infront of you in text helps break things down a little,which is nice.
    I'm F*cked if I know why anyone would read it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

I'll start!

I'm obsessed with the reasons why people like other people. Not in a crush way, just in general. Why am I friends with the people I'm friends with? Why are some of my friends the polar opposite of me when there are people way more similar to me that I can't really stand? Why do people just connect with other people? WHAT IS IT??
    Yeah... I think about that a lot, I don't really know why. I study psychology, could be an occupational hazard I guess? My textbooks don't really have much to say on it really, I want more of an explanation than "proximity, similarity and reciprocal liking".

So yeah, that's one of my (many) thoughts/obsessions that I never talk about IRL. Anybody got anything similar?

/anticipates thread fail.

You don't learn about that stuff when you do psychology?
    Damn I really wanted to do it after school for reasons like that..but more how the mind works..
    Ooh theres something im obsessed with,I could spend litreally hours thinkin about it and I just end up confused:pac:

Also seriously OCD about the kitchen..especially the furniture!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I've got one of those fabulous personal blogs. I know they're not for everyone, and that's grand but I love writing it. It helps me a lot in making some sort of sense of my thoughts. That said, I don't really write about actual people, and actual situations and my opinions/thoughts on them. That's a bit too divulging imo.

I'm not ashamed to admitting that I think about things, or look at things in a way that I shouldn't. Fúck it, no one's normal and I don't really give a crap about what people think of my 'weird' notions.

So yea. I guess the vast majority of the things I'll never say, I DO say (or write at least) :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Novella wrote: »
    I do write one of those crazy, personal blogs :P But things I never say IRL and always think, hmm... I guess I always kind of wonder when people are going to just stop being my friend. Man, that sounds so weird! But I have this huge fear of abandonment... so I always think, "Will this be our last hug?" and generally worry that something'll happen to make the people I love go away.

/weirdness :o

No Novella, nooooooo. Thats not wierd. Here, have a huge internetty hug from me:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Mine would be fairly personal, never planned, it's more a load of stuff going on in my head that I need to get out. So they tend to be very rambly, and also pretty much going from happy cheerful ones to pissed off ones, so I think I come across as fairly bi-polar in mine.
    But it's really just stuff I need to get out, and don't particularly want to have a big conversation about.

Better I get them out somewhere, then bottle it all up until I go crazy I think. That's pretty much what I did until I started my blog, I'd never talk to anyone about the stuff that was bugging, me and I'd bottle it up, obsess over it, get angry and eventually take it out on the wrong person. So in a way it helps me. I get everything out without really having to say it face to face with someone.

Mine tend to be more thoughts on technology or society than thoughts about my feelings or how I am. Simply because I think about the former two much, much more than the latter two.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

No Novella, nooooooo. Thats not wierd. Here, have a huge internetty hug from me:pac:

Thank youuu <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Boards.ie (and this forum in particular) is almost like having a blog for me. I have no problem talking about lots of personal stuff here that in real life I'd be terrified to mention to anyone (except when drunk, when I tend to reveal way too much about myself altogether :o) I like talking about stuff that you want to get off your chest on the internet because it's so much easier than having to do it face to face with someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I wonder about a lot of weird stuff.

Something I've been think about recently, though, is...

How the fuck did eyes evolve? How was the body even aware that there was anything to see? It's not like you can feel like. On the evolutionary chart how did our body decide "I think I'll put these things on my head (or whatever) that can see light, even though I'm unaware of the existence of light"

How?!

I'm gonna try to avoid this thread because I'll contribute waay too much. :p

I should think less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Jako8 wrote: »
    How the fuck did eyes evolve? How was the body even aware that there was anything to see? It's not like you can feel like. On the evolutionary chart how did our body decide "I think I'll put these things on my head (or whatever) that can see light, even though I'm unaware of the existence of light"

I believe even single celled organisms have SOME response to light in some cases.
    From there I imagine it was a process of going from "I can tell the difference between light and a lack of light" to "I can detect different intensities of light" to "I can now detect that light can be coming at me stronger from some angles than others" to "I can get a rough idea of objects around me based on this light" to "I can see basic shapes/outlines of objects and recognise them from past experience" and so on.

As for me, I wonder about the intelligence of animals and small children.
    Basic stuff like pattern recognition and associating actions with responses, like children will learn that if they cry you give them attention and stuff like that, dogs do the same, but do they associate white text scrolling on a black screen with you changing the channel, do they draw a link with it getting dark and you drawing the curtains and locking the doors.
    If they do, would they find it weird if you do so when it's bright out?
    Less direct stuff too, like at what point do they realise "Oh he's not talking to himself, that device is allowing him to talk to another person"?
    Probably a stupid, easily answered question but I never thought about it quite enough to justify searching for an answer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I am always thinking how lucky I am to be born into a world where any information we need is attainable from a computer, and how we can get others opinions from boards like this, it's amazing really, I actually cannot imagine being without it, I really really pity my parents and grand parents, we actually are lucky! And phones too, dunno how I'd chase the beors without it lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

I almost never talk to people about how feel, especially in person. It's not that I don't want to, I'd much rather if I did because I wouldn't loathe myself so much for clamming up even around my best friends... I'm just incapable of honestly communicating my emotions. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I'm always thinking about everything. I just can't stop. This past week I've had lots to think about and I haven't slept properly at all.
    I'll just share the one thing that I think about everyday. Time. It amazes me. You can feel like time is crawling by when you're stuck in a waiting room or a boring class..then suddenly that day is weeks behind you. I'm probably not doing a great job of explaining this...but I'm dying to get out of school. I feel like I'll never be done...then suddenly I look back in my diary or something and realise just how much time has passed since I said how much I wanted to be finished school. And like, every Monday morning Friday feels like it will never come, and then suddenly you're there, and after that it's Friday again. And this school year, it's been the fastest of my whole life. It's like, whoa how did I get from September to here?
    I tried to explain...I probably failed... but anyway!

• Advertisement

I always wonder about ESB poles. Who put them up? I did myself for a while a few years ago, but I mean originally. There were no JCB's in the 50's or 60's. Nowadays if people do a 2 mile walk for charity its in the bloody paper! Once upon a time, gangs of men went around the country digging holes for a living, putting up ESB poles so we can have electricity. It facinates me.

Also, along the same lines I suppose, I always wonder who cut down all the trees in Ireland. The entire country was once covered in hardwood forests. Somebody cleared them, and there was no such thing as chainsaws when it happened!?!?!?!?!

Arrrgh while I'm at it, where are all the skelletons of the generations and generatons and generations of people who lived here before us? Where? We should be living on bone island by now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

WHO PUTS THE FIGS IN THE FIG ROLLS?!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Little tiny aliens from space!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I almost never talk to people about how feel, especially in person. It's not that I don't want to, I'd much rather if I did because I wouldn't loathe myself so much for clamming up even around my best friends... I'm just incapable of honestly communicating my emotions. :(

well if it helps, you can always talk to me about anything! consider it payback for all the personal **** that ive told you and bothered you with throughout the past 3 years. *manly, straight hug*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

This. It's sometimes just so much easier to type it all into a faceless computer than it is to actually sit down and tell somebody. I hate putting the burden of all my stuff on my family and friends, and I don't want them feeling sorry for me or thinking I'm weird either. Silly I know, but most of the time I hate telling really personal stuff to the people i'm closest to.

WHO PUTS THE FIGS IN THE FIG ROLLS?!

Jacobs. The question is how?

I always wonder whether I really like something or if I just want to like something so much that I tell myself that I do.

Then again, our impression of the world comes from simulation in our brain so does it really matter whether I really like something? After all, we only like things because of electrical and chemical signals.

That's the kind of thing I never say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

jumpguy wrote: »

Not necessarily, a lot just never really come up in conversation.
    Liking the way this turned out, good to see I'm not the only one fascinated with really weird ideas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Xx_emma_xX wrote: »
    I'm always thinking about everything. I just can't stop. This past week I've had lots to think about and I haven't slept properly at all.
    I'll just share the one thing that I think about everyday. Time. It amazes me. You can feel like time is crawling by when you're stuck in a waiting room or a boring class..then suddenly that day is weeks behind you. I'm probably not doing a great job of explaining this...but I'm dying to get out of school. I feel like I'll never be done...then suddenly I look back in my diary or something and realise just how much time has passed since I said how much I wanted to be finished school. And like, every Monday morning Friday feels like it will never come, and then suddenly you're there, and after that it's Friday again. And this school year, it's been the fastest of my whole life. It's like, whoa how did I get from September to here?
    I tried to explain...I probably failed... but anyway!

Yeah I'm exactly like that! It's so strange, when I first went into sixth year I was thinking that the end of the year will never arrive and look now. The leaving cert is in 9 days!

I have this weird idea/notion that the moment I am living in right now(i.e typing this message) will be the moment I am in forever :confused:, I can't imagine how I will get to the next moment. It is extremely weird and it's probably just me, but I always think about stuff like that.

• Advertisement

I always wish I was in the Vietnam war

Advertisement