Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things You Never Say

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Sometimes I miss hs666 for the luls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I'm pretty sure I'm in love with D.R. Cowboy tbh

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Those are definitely things that should never be said! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Woow_Aqualung

I'm always thinking about aesthetics. Like could there be a formula for a beautiful person or a masterpiece painting or sculpture, or is it purely subjective?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

I'm always thinking about aesthetics. Like could there be a formula for a beautiful person or a masterpiece painting or sculpture, or is it purely subjective?
    just an anecdote,but I read an article on this a while back.Beauty is a lie in most situations.A concert violinist played his music in a subway station in new york for 2 hours [he played his signature piece and some classics] he made 1 dollars and no one other than a young child stopped to listen to him.
    He normally gets 100,000 per performance and is widely quoted as the greatest musician of his area.

and yet no one could appreciate what is award winning music the world over.Beauty[in this case] is a matter of social pressures,in a concert hall it's the greatest piece in the world,in a subway station it's nothing more than background music

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

and yet no one could appreciate what is award winning music the world over.Beauty[in this case] is a matter of social pressures,in a concert hall it's the greatest piece in the world,in a subway station it's nothing more than background music

I like that anecdote, but I don't know if I agree with its message. He was playing in a subway station, one of the busiest and more stressful locations you can be in! I've only ever been in the London Underground, but I found myself in too much of a rush to read the posters on the walls, let alone stop and listen to a performer for a few minutes. I'd imagine most people would be the same. If you're in a hurry, you tend to be blind to the beauty around you.

Speaking of beauty around you, I'd really like to be able to say "hello, I think you're very pretty/quite staggeringly handsome" to random people. Especially friends! Friends deserve compliments. But alas, I don't, for fear of people looking at me funny and the associated guilt. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I never say Flugelhorn

Now who will get this reference >_>.......<_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

In fairness, I don't think hs666 was a bad guy. Just a little....."eccentric". So I can kinda understand that.....
    Pygmalion wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I'm in love with D.R. Cowboy tbh

....but not so much this. Let's not go nuts. :pac:

I also think it's fair to say that everyone misses Jizzler.

Speaking of beauty around you, I'd really like to be able to say "hello, I think you're very pretty/quite staggeringly handsome" to random people. Especially friends! Friends deserve compliments. But alas, I don't, for fear of people looking at me funny and the associated guilt. :p
    I know! You say someone has a nice smile and they give you a funny look.:o
    just an anecdote,but I read an article on this a while back.Beauty is a lie in most situations.A concert violinist played his music in a subway station in new york for 2 hours [he played his signature piece and some classics] he made 1 dollars and no one other than a young child stopped to listen to him.
    He normally gets 100,000 per performance and is widely quoted as the greatest musician of his area.

It's the same for modern art, people paying millions for a triangle drawn on a canvas just because someone in specific did it.

It's the same for modern art, people paying millions for a triangle drawn on a canvas just because someone in specific did it.

+1 for recognising the ultra-crappiness of modern art.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Can I get a +1 for realising the ultra-crappiness of art in general? :P

*runs*

jumpguy wrote: »
    Can I get a +1 for realising the ultra-crappiness of art in general? :P

*runs*

You can but at least up until recently people put time and effort into it.
    Nowadays they realise that if they have influential friends they can pretty much vomit onto a canvas and sell it, and I wish I didn't mean that literally, but it's probably been done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

i think its weird when posh girls get with lads frm skobe areas....

i think its weird when posh girls get with lads frm skobe areas....

Oh D.R., how I love you so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Most people have no appreciation of classical music though. The fact that no one recognised him suggests that the people passing by were not the type of people to go and see him perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

"I like you"

"I like you"

When I try it just comes out as "I like boobs".

Most people have no appreciation of classical music though. The fact that no one recognised him suggests that the people passing by were not the type of people to go and see him perform.
    At least some people, out of the many who were using that subway station, would have appreciated a very good violinist playing. However I do agree with Banjo Fella:
    I like that anecdote, but I don't know if I agree with its message. He was playing in a subway station, one of the busiest and more stressful locations you can be in! I've only ever been in the London Underground, but I found myself in too much of a rush to read the posters on the walls, let alone stop and listen to a performer for a few minutes. I'd imagine most people would be the same. If you're in a hurry, you tend to be blind to the beauty around you.
    That other sounds would have drowned the violin out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Beauty is symmetry, apparently. In maths in TY we did a project on the Golden Ratio, which is meant to calculate aesthetic perfection (one girl in the class had a perfect arm!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

Mona Lisa's face is a perfect golden rectangle, and the painting 'Composition in Red, Yellow and Blue' (the one with a loada squares) is based on the Golden Ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I never tell people when they've upset me, or when they've hurt me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Novella wrote: »
    I never tell people when they've upset me, or when they've hurt me.

I do this too. Terrified of confrontation, I guess, but people never know when they've upset me.

I also never really tell people what they mean to me. I hate that. They should know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I do this too. Terrified of confrontation, I guess, but people never know when they've upset me.

I also never really tell people what they mean to me. I hate that. They should know.

I can't stand confrontation. I'd like to be able to say, "You know, when you said/did X, that actually really hurt me", but I'm too scared. I'm not really sure what of. Maybe of being seen as dramatic, or... Well, mainly I'm scared of fighting, and of the friendship ending because of that.

Yeah, same! Grr @ that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

Either do I. I don't know, I just find it hard and weird to talk about feelings and stuff. Which is silly, especially when what I want to say positive. But I'm trying to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

ohthebaby wrote: »
    Either do I. I don't know, I just find it hard and weird to talk about feelings and stuff. Which is silly, especially when what I want to say positive. But I'm trying to change that.

Do <3

When I remember I do it to the extent that people are incredibly taken aback. But if you love someone or appreciate them for something they do then let them know. Pretty pretty please. You have no idea of the chain reaction you might start - get those happy vibes out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭OopsyDaisy

I always think about the little voice inside your head that talks to you (i'm not crazy, think about it, you'll understand)

It sounds like you only inside you head..

Anyways, I always wonder whether people think the same strange thoughts I do, or am i alone?

Oh, and I get really freaked out thinking about that other dimention thingy...just the idea that there's another one of us out there and stuffs

And just the universe in general, although it's beautiful, it's also kinda scary how small we are, makes you feel kind..unimportant *sniff*

But then I think about places like this and all the lovely people in this world, and I'm fine and dandy once more :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

I never tell people my problems. Ever. I don't know why, I think it's because I despite the fact I know taking about problems helps on some unconsciou level I don't believe that so I just prefer to wollow in self-pity.

I also don't like telling people that I actually enjoy being alone because I'm afraid they'll think that I never want company. :o

I also never tell people how I can't fathom how I'm sitting here consciously doing...whatever and there are other people doing their own thing...like I feel like whem I'm not around people shouldn't exist.

OopsyDaisy wrote: »
    I always think about the little voice inside your head that talks to you (i'm not crazy, think about it, you'll understand)

It sounds like you only inside you head..

I always think about this too.

Is it just that EVERYONE in the world who has ever spoken about this is speaking metaphorically but never explains themselves, or do they actually hear this?

I have never heard voices and would be quite worried if I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭OopsyDaisy

Is it just that EVERYONE in the world who has ever spoken about this is speaking metaphorically but never explains themselves, or do they actually hear this?

You don't actually hear it, it's not a noise...but it sounds like you in your head...

^I think the reason no one ever explains it is because it's so hard to explain :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

I always hear voices (well not voices, voice) and often have fake conversations (almost like practise) before I fall asleep.
    Perhaps you're just much more visually minded.

• Advertisement

OopsyDaisy wrote: »
    You don't actually hear it, it's not a noise...but it sounds like you in your head...

^I think the reason no one ever explains it is because it's so hard to explain :confused:

I get it now.

You're a nut.

Advertisement