Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nothing Happens when I press the power button on pc

• 20-05-2010 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

Just tried to turn on my main desktop computer there and it won't start. I push the start button and get nothing. No sound or any hint of anything. I have checked all the plugs and they are all working fine. I have checked the power cable to see if it works ok. I plugged it into my printer and it work fine. Everythiing is still plugged into the PSU and its switched on. Switched off for a bit there and back on again, nothing. The computer was working fine last night. Now nothing at all happens when i press the power button. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Might be small fuse blown in Power Supply of PC (well that was in my day but might still apply).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

It does sound like a problem with the PSU alright. What make and model PSU is it? You can test some of them by shorting out particular pins while having a fan or other small piece of equipment plugged in but obviously making sure all the other power connectors are unplugged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

could be an internal fuse, could be PSU just fscked, could be the button itself, could be the mobo. A new PSU might cost you 30-ish from Maplin

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    could be an internal fuse, could be PSU just fscked, could be the button itself, could be the mobo. A new PSU might cost you 30-ish from Maplin

You'd want to be spending more than €30 on a PSU to be fair, it is a slightly important piece of equipment in the computer and buying cheap can lead to massive problems down the line especially if it fails as cheaper PSUs tend to take other pieces of hardware with them.

I do agree about the button though, be a good idea to see if it's definitely being pushed in enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

How would the PSU have blown though? I was using it last night and when i turned it off didn't hear anything bad. Also when i went to turn it on there was nothing all. like it didn't start a small bit and then turn off. Just wondering how something could have happened to it? is there any way to try and troubleshoot this to narrow down what the problem is

• Advertisement

suppafly wrote: »
    How would the PSU have blown though? I was using it last night and when i turned it off didn't hear anything bad. Also when i went to turn it on there was nothing all. like it didn't start a small bit and then turn off. Just wondering how something could have happened to it? is there any way to try and troubleshoot this to narrow down what the problem is

Yep, first tell us what the PSU make and model is.

Edit: Also, we'll need information on the motherboard or if you can then trace back the wire from the front on/off switch on the computer to the motherboard. The header connectors that the wire is connected to can be shorted to simulate pressing the switch which will at least eliminate the switch as being the problem.

Advertisement