Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling to Kilmeadan

• 20-05-2010 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of cycling to Kilmeadan from Waterford. This is the route I was thinking of taking:

Out the new ring road,
    continue past TK Maxx,
    take a left down at the end,
    take the road past Kilotteran
    end up in Kilmeadan.

Just wondering if anyone else did this. I know they altered the road a bit. Would it be a safe route the whole way out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

havnt cycled it, but would drive it often. the stretch along mount congreve is narrow and twisty enough but that said its a lot lot quieter traffic wise since the new bypass. pretty steep hills in parts but if you can cycle to kilmeaden then you must be able for them! will you come back the same way or the old main road? terrible pity you cant do the new road its fab scenery along the route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

You can go the new road, bike are allowed. Your just not allowed cycle over the toll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

You can go the new road, bike are allowed. Your just not allowed cycle over the toll.

Is there a nice big hard shoulder for cycling in?

I travelled that road last December, but I forget about the hard shoulder. Nice views though :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dayshah wrote: »
    Is there a nice big hard shoulder for cycling in?

I travelled that road last December, but I forget about the hard shoulder. Nice views though :)

Yep there's a big hard shoulder all the way,
    I wouldn't recommend the old Kilmeaden road as its twisty, narrow and full of potholes (unless they've resurfaced it since the bypass opened).

Why not go the old cork road..it can't be too busy in fairness?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Done this for years, don't use the old Kilmeaden road, they race down that road.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Why not go the old cork road..it can't be too busy in fairness?

I don't that hill, the bit just before you come to where (on the way to Kilmeadan) you can turn right to bring you to Killotteran. Its a bit narrow, and i don't think a car coming behind me would see me after I turn the bend. Might be better now though.

Would it be fair to say that the only traffic now on the former Cork Rd is going to either Kilmeadan or towards Kill etc?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Would it be fair to say that the only traffic now on the former Cork Rd is going to either Kilmeadan or towards Kill etc?

I would say so for the most part, that or idiots who think that if they go onto the bypass to go to Kilmeadan they have to pay the toll...yes people still think this
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Just wondering if anyone else did this. I know they altered the road a bit. Would it be a safe route the whole way out?

Much more worried about hills than "safety" [many cyclists killed last year?] if I get your directions right - starting at SuperValu (Gracedieu/Summerhill):

start at 30m above sea level
    halfway new ring road - 65m
    down to 20m at TK Max rounabout
    Killoteran Bridge - 11m
    Up to 40m halfway
    and back below 5m at Killoteran
    up to 40m past Whitfield North
    Finish at Kilmeaden at 15m (ASL)

Direction ->
    2i21zzq.png
    Direction <-
    1s1suq.png

beazee wrote: »
    Much more worried about hills than "safety" [many cyclists killed last year?] if I get your directions right - starting at SuperValu (Gracedieu/Summerhill):

start at 30m above sea level
    halfway new ring road - 65m
    down to 20m at TK Max rounabout
    Killoteran Bridge - 11m
    Up to 40m halfway
    and back below 5m at Killoteran
    up to 40m past Whitfield North
    Finish at Kilmeaden at 15m (ASL)

Nice chart. The hills are half the fun :)

I was thinking of starting new Ardkeen, and using the new ring road, so that would eliminate summer hill anyway.

I was thinking of starting new Ardkeen

then this one is for you:
    258bcpj.png

• Advertisement

then this one is for you:

Where do you get such fancy graphics?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Still lots and lots of traffic for Cork and west Waterford using the former Cork road both ways despite the fact that the new road is much quicker and safer on top of that:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Mapmyride is a good place to map out things http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/waterford/454127454961170689

routef.th.jpg

Another place would be bikeroutetoaster

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jmdsk

258bcpj.png
    beazee Great graphics what site is that off?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Stokolan wrote: »
    Mapmyride is a good place to map out things http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/waterford/454127454961170689

routef.th.jpg

Another place would be bikeroutetoaster

As is ridewithgps

Sorry to keep you waiting that long.
    The above is slightly altered - I put the placemarks in.

http://www.geocontext.org/publ/2010/04/profiler/pl/

It's just a fancy script using Google Maps API.
    Use "Szukaj lokalizacji" to jump to a place by it's name.

Pick up to 30 points and you'll get gfx showing heights in between the points you've selected.
    Your Polish is good enough to know that "Resetuj" is "Reset", right?

Cheers!

Much more worried about hills than "safety" [many cyclists killed last year?]

I feel so bad now:
    In Waterford, a male cyclist is in a critical condition after he was hit by a vehicle last night in the city, on Thomas Street.

He is being treated in Waterford Regional Hospital.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/teenager-killed-two-others-critically-hurt-in-overnight-accidents-458803.html
    23/05/2010

Anyone any news?
    How did this happen?
    In a city centre?
    That could not be speeding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

You don't need to be speeding to knock a cyclist off a bike and cause damage. Could be a combination of things. Poor driving on the drivers part. No Hi-Viz jacket or lights on the cyclist part. etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

There is a sign on the new road at the Kiloteran bridge saying "no pedal cycles" heading out towards Kilmeaden. Bit strange really since it is a dualer rather than a motorway. Didn't think to much of it (the sign that is, the road was lovely) until I was told later that the Gardai had been seen pulling bikes on that road and loading the bikes into the squad car.

shapez wrote: »
    You don't need to be speeding to knock a cyclist off a bike and cause damage. Could be a combination of things. Poor driving on the drivers part. No Hi-Viz jacket or lights on the cyclist part. etc. etc.

If there was no lights or hi-vis jacket on the cyclist - sorry for saying that - he was asking for the accident.
    But it was city centre! Thomas Street - one way, cars parked on both sides, how fast could you go in a car? 40kmh? 50 kmh?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

fenris wrote: »
    There is a sign on the new road at the Kiloteran bridge saying "no pedal cycles" heading out towards Kilmeaden. Bit strange really since it is a dualer rather than a motorway. Didn't think to much of it (the sign that is, the road was lovely) until I was told later that the Gardai had been seen pulling bikes on that road and loading the bikes into the squad car.

Yes this true, however, it has been acknowledged by both NRA and City Council that these signs are indeed in the wrong place, its only the actual bridge that cyclists are prohibited from going over. This issue was to be brought up at a recent meeting involving all parties, with the intention of having the signs removed for their current location and erected in the proper locations.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Yes this true, however, it has been acknowledged by both NRA and City Council that these signs are indeed in the wrong place, its only the actual bridge that cyclists are prohibited from going over.

By bridge I assume you mean the 2nd river crossing

If there was no lights or hi-vis jacket on the cyclist - sorry for saying that - he was asking for the accident.

Hi-vis jacket isn't a requirment by law, a light however (flashing or solid) however is, none the less the accident happened during daylight hours so neither of these would have been a factor, confirmed against http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66038420&postcount=7

Without knowing more details I don't think its fair to speculate if the cyclist was "asking for the accident" it just as easily could have been a motorist 100% at fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

Yes this true, however, it has been acknowledged by both NRA and City Council that these signs are indeed in the wrong place, its only the actual bridge that cyclists are prohibited from going over. This issue was to be brought up at a recent meeting involving all parties, with the intention of having the signs removed for their current location and erected in the proper locations.

just to clarify this, the sign is wrong at both ends of the new road? the sign also stipulates pedestrians. so i can now take a walk on the new road as far as the bridge and turn back? i too have seen police stop cyclists on the road, but this was when it opened first. you never see pedestrians but its a lovely stretch especiall from the kilmeaden side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

The signs are placed wrong at the entrance to the road near slieverue and kilmeaden and also the slip roads leading to these locations so you should be able to walk these.

The part your not allowed walk or cycle is from the slip roads to the bridge on both sides. (section in red box on pic)

Welll thats what it seems to me but it would need to be checked.

bridgekf.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Is this bridge the one that crosses over the new road (i.e. the last exit before the toll)? If cycing is prohibited on that bridge it means that cyclists cannot cycle from Kilmeaden to Waterford (but can on the opposite journey) as it would mean them cycling up the off-ramp and onto that bridge. Correct?

Advertisement