Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of the line for the La Touche?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭woodsy2

We started the Celtic Tiger era with a Hotel and a Harbour, now we have neither.

We used to have a cinema as well :(

At one time it seemed to me that the entire town would just end up being apartments and coffee shops...... too late? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

woodsy2 wrote: »

At one time it seemed to me that the entire town would just end up being apartments and coffee shops...... too late? :D
    and pizza take aways :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭UrbexJunkie

woodsy2 wrote: »

The Cinema is now a funeral parlour now or a garden centre is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tiradon

There is a funeral parlour and a couple of other units in the building but the cinema itself is still lying empty.

Could be worth a look, thats the one where they filmed father ted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tiradon

"The Passion of St. Tibulus" - Down with that sort of thing! Careful now!. Absolute classic. The last time I was in the place was when Meet The Parents came out a fair few years back. The sound went half way through and we had to leave, oh the memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,851 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Could be worth a look, thats the one where they filmed father ted.

Filmed a couple of things there - Glenroe and some kids programs of the top of my head.

Don't think you would be able to get in without breaking in though - there is only two doors in, and both would be locked.

Filmed a couple of things there - Glenroe and some kids programs of the top of my head.

Don't think you would be able to get in without breaking in though - there is only two doors in, and both would be locked.

Next time i am in the area i will talk to the owners of the Garden Centre and Funeral place to see if the yhave the key as they are probably using it as storage or something.

They are not - place is completely unused.

But they would be the first people to talk to about it. I remember passing one day i seen the front doors wide open and a load of pots with plants and flowers in front of it.

Other than that i would suggest asking the OPW

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭woodsy2

Tiradon wrote: »
    There is a funeral parlour and a couple of other units in the building but the cinema itself is still lying empty.

For those who only remember the cinema as it was just before it closed, myself included, what we know as the seating area was actually the balcony, and the laundrette, funeral parlour and cobbler's were all a giant seating area underneath. I recently found out that my grandparents first met in that cinema waaaay back, makes me wonder how old that building is! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The cinema equipment is still there AFAIK - I heard that Michael Jackson rented it privately about 5 years ago for his kids

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

I have updated the photo's guys you can find them here:

http://www.urbexjunkie.com/2011/03/la-touche-hotel/

Uj

Ha my ol man was head chef in there many years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There is a proposal in the new development plan to remove protected status

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82582488

There are some objecting and they have st up a facebook group and petition

http://facebook.com/ProtectTheLaTouche?id=128425757317660&_rdr

http://www.activism.com/en_IE/petition/protect-the-la-touche-hotel/41695

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

its a difficult one - the building may not have a lot of architectural merit, but it is distinctive and a local landmark.

OTOH it seems unlikely that it will ever reopen as a hotel or that the building can be easily re-purposed. There's not much point preserving it to rot indefinitely in the centre of the town...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

loyatemu wrote: »
    its a difficult one - the building may not have a lot of architectural merit, but it is distinctive and a local landmark.

OTOH it seems unlikely that it will ever reopen as a hotel or that the building can be easily re-purposed. There's not much point preserving it to rot indefinitely in the centre of the town...

A few times myself and the OH have stopped and looked and wondered what to do with the building should we win the lottery.

It would make an absolutely wonderful hotel again, given the location but of course with things being what they are, it's not likely to happen.

Yes it's a local landmark but is it unique architecture and worthy of preservation? At the moment a sorry sight.

we've done the same, need the euromillions though as realistically the building isn't structurally safe anymore so would need to be knocked and rebuilt.

its currently only an eyesore and really should be knocked down.

we've done the same, need the euromillions though as realistically the building isn't structurally safe anymore so would need to be knocked and rebuilt.

its currently only an eyesore and really should be knocked down.

it would need gutting, but that's not the same as it being structurally unsound (if it was shown to be unsafe, Wicklow Co Co could slap an enforcement notice on it).

loyatemu wrote: »
    it would need gutting, but that's not the same as it being structurally unsound (if it was shown to be unsafe, Wicklow Co Co could slap an enforcement notice on it).
    i don't think thats too far off to be honest. Sure it couldn't possibly be structurally safe? it hasn't been maintained for 20 year (if not more?). Its likely to be wood framed and with the damp thats gotta be getting in there from the sea and any salt water affecting any iron structural supports that haven't been maintained/galvinised/protected there's no way it could be safe.

it would make a great temporary car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Macy0161

it hasn't been maintained for 20 year (if not more?).
    I don't know what the maintenance was like, but it's only closed as a hotel 8 or 9 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭karma_coma

i don't think thats too far off to be honest. Sure it couldn't possibly be structurally safe? it hasn't been maintained for 20 year (if not more?). Its likely to be wood framed and with the damp thats gotta be getting in there from the sea and any salt water affecting any iron structural supports that haven't been maintained/galvinised/protected there's no way it could be safe.

it would make a great temporary car park.

Add to that the two or three fires that have burnt out parts of the hotel post closure due to vandalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

karma_coma wrote: »

Add to that the two or three fires that have burnt out parts of the hotel post closure due to vandalism.
    fond memories of the hotel but as some said what can be saved? even if the facade could be saved it would be great for the history/heritage of g.stones..however that woman galleher?(she was on east coast earlier..really annoying voice)she was pushing to get it demolished..this is the same one who keeps harping on about how "beautiful"the harbour is and how we should all love it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

Maybe if anyone owns a protected building they can take a leaf from this book, close the business and allow vandals to wreak havoc.

Then a few years later the protected status can be removed and they can demolish whatever they like. Its a disgrace this was allowed to happen, and the town and county councils have a lot to answer for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

Maybe if anyone owns a protected building they can take a leaf from this book, close the business and allow vandals to wreak havoc.

Then a few years later the protected status can be removed and they can demolish whatever they like. Its a disgrace this was allowed to happen, and the town and county councils have a lot to answer for.

I know of a couple of UK listed buildings that "coincidently" caught fire, thus becoming dangerous structures, allowing the developers to demolish with no objections from town planners.

Not suggesting this is the case...but as you said, once the roof and windows are in a poor state, doesn't take long to become dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I don't know what the maintenance was like, but it's only closed as a hotel 8 or 9 years.

It was seriously run down before it ever closed. Even then it would have needed to be completely gutted inside. It's a shame to see it go but I don't see any alternative. Certainly don't want to be looking at a derelict site for the next 20 years only for it to be knocked then. I suppose saving the facade is a good compromise but makes it less appealing to any potential buyer / developer.

I know of a couple of UK listed buildings that "coincidently" caught fire, thus becoming dangerous structures, allowing the developers to demolish with no objections from town planners.

there's 2 types of closed hotel - those that have burned down, and those that will burn down. - cf the Woodlands, the International in Bray and numerous others around the country.

Is this an example of where a site-value tax (as proposed by Ronan Lyons and others) might encourage re-use of the building rather than leaving it to moulder?

Swanner wrote: »
    It was seriously run down before it ever closed. Even then it would have needed to be completely gutted inside. It's a shame to see it go but I don't see any alternative. Certainly don't want to be looking at a derelict site for the next 20 years only for it to be knocked then. I suppose saving the facade is a good compromise but makes it less appealing to any potential buyer / developer.

At a minimum, planners need to insist upon facade retention. Given its location, and if the planners allow flexibility on uses a potential buyer will be found.

But not at the moment; for as long as the economy is on the floor, even if full demolition was allowed, the site will stay the same.

The most important thing to learn from this is surely to force our local representatives to never allow the 'demolition from within' which seem to be used to circumvent protected statuses.

Also, while i cant comment on the accomodation, the bars and function areas were not particularly run down pre closure. Will we agree on shabby chic? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

At a minimum, planners need to insist upon facade retention. Given its location, and if the planners allow flexibility on uses a potential buyer will be found.

But not at the moment; for as long as the economy is on the floor, even if full demolition was allowed, the site will stay the same.

The most important thing to learn from this is surely to force our local representatives to never allow the 'demolition from within' which seem to be used to circumvent protected statuses.

Ironically, the local authority has plenty of powers to deal with derelict buildings :-
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/planning_and_development_in_ireland/copy_of_derelict_sites_and_dangerous_structures.html

WCC could, for example, employ a contractor to make whatever repairs are necessary to stabilise the structure, and then charge the property owner whatever the cost is.

They also have the nuclear option of a forced purchase, at market value :- given the state of it, if they maintained the protection status a very good case could be made that the market value of the site, given the cost of repair and maintenance, is a nominal one euro.

We're in a recession and you all want the council to spen millions on a derelict sh1thole????

Knock it down and make it into a car park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

We're in a recession and you all want the council to spen millions on a derelict sh1thole????

Knock it down and make it into a car park
    No, I don't want them to spend millions. They can buy it at market value :- if you read my post, I make the point that it could be argued market value is literally nothing.

Advertisement