Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking balance at ATMs

Options
  • 20-05-2010 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

This is something that's been bugging me for years. You can only check your balance at your own bank's ATM. Why? In Britain there's usually no hassle checking your balance at any ATM.

It just hit me again there in town today, I was nowhere near an AIB atm and needed to check my balance. I was of course surrounded by a multitude of other ATMs though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Data protection I would imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I can check my balance on any of my banks ATM. That's the 1st I heard about that. Get telephone banking and your sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 walshkvn

Banks aren't that friendy with each other I'd say ... its just something else to keep you with the big banks, i.e. the ones with the more ATMs.

You can only check your balance at an ATM of your bank.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I was able to check my UB balance at one of those convenience ATMs in a petrol garage. Actually now that I think of it, I think it was one of those Easycash ones that are powered by UB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JamieBly

it should work everywhere, shame that it doesn't.

aye i'd say work out telephone banking like unclebill said and/or check balance on internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

To be honest, I can't remember the last time I've wanted to check my balance at an ATM. I've online banking for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Banks don't share balance information with each other - when you make a cash withdrawal at an atm belonging to a bank other than your own - your own bank 'authorises' (and guarantees) the payment on your behalf - but the dispensing atm/bank never know your balance.

regards,

pjmn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

pjmn wrote: »
    Banks don't share balance information with each other - when you make a cash withdrawal at an atm belonging to a bank other than your own - your own bank 'authorises' (and guarantees) the payment on your behalf - but the dispensing atm/bank never know your balance.

regards,

pjmn
    Is there a reason the banks operating ATMs in Britain can co-operate but the ones in Ireland can't?
    dotsman wrote: »
    To be honest, I can't remember the last time I've wanted to check my balance at an ATM. I've online banking for that.

I'm not permanently connected to a computer so if I'm out and want to check my bank balance the only option I have is ATMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Banks in Ireland do co-operate with each other - they just don't share balances with each other. If we use an atm card in an atm belonging to another bank, behind the scenes the 'atm bank' contacts the customers bank and gets authorisation for the payment.

In terms of obtaining balances - I know BOI offer this service over the telephone and I'd suspect other banks do to (but I am open to correction on that latter point).

regards,

pjmn

• Advertisement

Is there a reason the banks operating ATMs in Britain can co-operate but the ones in Ireland can't?
    I'd imagine the Data Protection Act has a lot to do with it. I can imagine the amount of people on here complaining if PTSB could find out how much overdrawn their overdraft with AIB was etc. In fact, I'd imagine the banks would love to automatically look up your balances with other banks at the drop of a hat.

I'm not permanently connected to a computer so if I'm out and want to check my bank balance the only option I have is ATMs.
    But surely you're by a computer more than you are an ATM? When not in the presence of a computer, and you urgently need to know your balance, there is always a telephone.

To be honest, if your account fluctuates that wildly, you should be regularly checking it online.

Eh... what did people do before they could check their balance online?
    Phone bankin costs, ATM checkin doesn't.
    UK doesn't have a data protection issue.
    I'm talking about wanting to check my balance at times when I'm not exactly sure how much is exactly there - I'm not rich and live week to week on very little- and it's at times when say I'm in town and the nearest AIB atm is ages away yet there's maybe 3 or 4 others within a short vicinity and I want to check the balance at those rather than walking a mile like.

I'm talking about wanting to check my balance at times when I'm not exactly sure how much is exactly there - I'm not rich and live week to week on very little- and it's at times when say I'm in town and the nearest AIB atm is ages away yet there's maybe 3 or 4 others within a short vicinity and I want to check the balance at those rather than walking a mile like.

Well that was before the digital age :rolleyes:

Your issue has been fixed with the new age of telephone banking and the internet. You'll just have to move with the times. Surely if your online posting here you can go online and avail of free online banking!!!

Eh... what did people do before ATMs?
    Phone banking is very cheap/free depending on your phone package.
    You make that sound like a good thing! The data protection is there for your benefit. Most people do not want their account balances available for anyone who wants them.
    Sounds more like you have a budgeting issue than an ATM issue. If you draw up an accurate budget on a month-by-month basis, you will never need to worry "is there money there?".

Well that was before the digital age :rolleyes:

Your issue has been fixed with the new age of telephone banking and the internet. You'll just have to move with the times. Surely if your online posting here you can go online and avail of free online banking!!!

No need to roll yr eyes at me young man :pac:

Yep I'm online and I do have internet banking and I can check it now but I can't check it if I'm out and not near an ATM owned by the bank I'm with.
    dotsman wrote: »
    Eh... what did people do before ATMs?
    You missed my point. There's a balance checking service on ATMs. People use it, I use it, I used it pre-internet banking but it's a bit crippled in that you can only use it at your own bank's ATMs. I still check my balance at ATMs as do others.

Sounds more like you have a budgeting issue than an ATM issue. If you draw up an accurate budget on a month-by-month basis, you will never need to worry "is there money there?".

No, no budgeting issue.

Advertisement