Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIS application disallowed

• 20-05-2010 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,
    I would appreciate any help on this. I am a single parent of two school going children. I applied for FIS payment 13weeks ago. Got a letter the other day to say my application was disallowed on the grounds that my ex husband and i have joint custody of our children - this was something we agreed between us at the time of our seperation, however, in reality it's not worth the paper it's written on -as he does not take the children at any time, not even for an overnight stay. I don't receive any maintenance or any type of support for the children at all from their father.. I have been their sole carer and provider since our separation, 10yrs ago. On the letter it said i can appeal this decision within 21 day's... which i think i should do.. but is it even worth appealing?? I'm concerned that even though we agreed this ourselves, between our solicitors etc.. it's stated on our agreement and the consent was signed by the court.. does this make it a court order and will that affect any decision.. given the reality of the situation. The situation with the ex is extremely volatile and has been for many years.. so it has suited me that he didn't take them as agreed because i saw it as a way to protect my children also.

so am i now to be penalised by our social welfare system for a word on a piece of paper?

any advice or experience of this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 movin2oz

I find myself in the same boat, am about to send in an application for FIS and was researching it when i came across this post. I think it is a disgrace! Have you since had any joy in claiming welfare? I too sogned the agreement for joint custody in order not to rock the boat! but have found that now i do not receive any maintainance and am solely responsible - financially for bringing up our children. I now have to work weekends as well as a full time job in the week in order to make ends meet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Its always worth appealing a decision you don't agree with,include most of what you have said in your post as reason for your appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

If your kids live with you for the majority of the week (nevermind full time) you should not have been refused FIS on this basis.

You should definitely appeal, although before you do so, make sure that they have all the relevant information, as often a review by the deciding officer can sort things out instead of waiting a year for an appeal.

I'd give the Irish National Organisation of the Unemployed a call on 01 856 00 88 or www.inou.ie as they're very good on FIS

Advertisement