Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bird is that?

Options
  • 20-05-2010 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

We first found this visitor at Drumboe Woods (Ballybofey) a few weeks ago.

I've been carrying a camera since then, and this afternoon I finally managed to frame it.

P.S.: don't mind the old mat on the rock and rubbish along the river banks... it's very hard to point the camera anywhere clean over there...
    P.S. (2): sorry for the blurry picture (taken from an old camera + zoom 16x on a cloudy day).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

That would be a Heron(spelling?). Usually found wading around rivers or streams. A lovely gracious bird in flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

irlpic wrote: »
    That would be a Heron
    Thats it.

They are nearly always found close to the rivers. They exist on a diet of fish and frogs.

And as said they are a nice bird in flight, like watching it fly in slow motion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭pat58

looks very much like a heron your right usuly near a river but known to stray furter in field:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CWBS

My wife thought it was a crane, but I googled for crane pictures and they look nothing like that one. And me, well, I only know two things about birds: they sing and fly. :D

Beautiful bird, I hope no one harms it.

Thanks guys ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

CWBS wrote: »
    well, I only know two things about birds: they sing and fly. :D
    Thank God for that - I thought you were going to say something else ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

saw one in the diamond a 4.50am in donegal town waiting fro the bus gobsmacked what you see when theres no-one in the town !

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

a bird waiting on bus????:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

So thats a heron there you go I was calling them Cranes too this last while .Theres two of them in Castlefinn just as your waiting for the lights you can see them sometimes, . Actually now we are on the point theres a wee bird making a strange sound near my house lately I can hear him specially every morning and sometimes during the day, I know its going to sound crazy but it sort of sounds like someone tapping, three or four taps at a time ,I must try and record it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

puffdragon wrote: »
    So thats a heron there you go I was calling them Cranes too this last while .Theres two of them in Castlefinn just as your waiting for the lights you can see them sometimes, . Actually now we are on the point theres a wee bird making a strange sound near my house lately I can hear him specially every morning and sometimes during the day, I know its going to sound crazy but it sort of sounds like someone tapping, three or four taps at a time ,I must try and record it.

There had been herons there at Clady bridge for years. Nice to hear that they're still around.

And to your other question... that other bird sounds like a woodpecker. Try to get a photo if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Cranes are just a nickname for the grey herron, same difference, will i always thought so, also i've heard a cuckoo today for the first time (that i remember) myself and my father heard it, my GF's father als has heard one too recently he said he very seldom hears them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement