Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm with xebec on this one, I know you're following P&D 70 mile week plan but is it really necessary this week? The 55 mile plan has;

Rest
    6 recovery
    7 w/2@mp
    Rest
    5 w/6x100
    4 recovery

I'd even have that as a bit excessive, I don't think even that is necessary for the week leading up to a marathon...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

xebec wrote: »
    Is 30+ miles the week before the race really the best way to prepare yourself for a fast marathon?! My plan (not fully formed yet) is 3/4 runs, nothing longer than 5 miles and just 2 miles on the Sunday...

It's in the P&D schedule. I might Shift Wed > Tues and the Thursday > Wed runs and rest up on the Thursday.

The miles will be slow ones, wont be any repeats of today. If I feel its not productive, I'll drop the amount of miles on each run.

Bought all my gels today. Going to strp them to the water belt, but I'm not bringing any water bottles with me, I'll just depend on the water along the way. Once it's in bottles, I can carry one from stop to stop and sip as needed.

Got a BIG tube of Carbo / Protein powder in the Health Shop in the Square, 20% off fitness nutrition. Will use it after the 13M tomorrow and have a bottle of it ready at the finish line, along with a High5 4:1 protein bar to chew on as I wander the streets of Dublin afterwards.

Going to try to be as good as possible diet wise for the next week, but to counter the lack of calories burned off, I bought a bottle of Kelp tablets to take with meals to increase the metabolism. I found this handy in the past to stop the weight creeping up in the last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

All I'd do is rest Friday.

Early morning run today before Breakfast. The Plan was for 13M, but I decided to make it a round half marathon and try to keep a constant pace all the way around to make it a 2h comfortable run at a pace of 9:10. Joined up with the main marathon route after 4 miles at the zoo right through to the Submarine Bar. Dispite a quick start, miles went thus

1 9:02
    2 9:03
    3 9:08
    4 9:20 (slowed down at the steps into the park from Island Bridge)
    5 9:05
    6 9:06
    7 9:07
    8 9:07
    9 9:08
    10 9:03 (pace was 9:09 until mile 9.95, when I turned the corner at Dolphin's Barn , it jumped suddenly to 9:03. Damn GPS)
    11 9:11
    12 9:10
    13 9:09
    13.1 9:09

Was very comfortable all the way around. Could have done more at that pace afterwards, but breakfast was calling out to me.

13.1M in 1:59:33 (9:08 pace)

Due to excessive peer pressure (:p) and maybe some common sense I might review my last week's taper plan and move down from the 70MPW plan to the 55MPW for the last week to have a better shot at the 3:45

Pamper time in the Gym today (had a free pass). Warm up on the bike and cross trainer. Damn running machine had them new fangaled kilo-meter units on it.:eek:

Ran 5k in 27 mins (8:41 pace) was supposed to be a slower recovery, but couldnt help myself.

Finished off with core work, sauna and jacuzzi. Might as well enjoy it. This time next week, I'll be twiddling my thumbs wondering 'what am I going to do now??:confused:'

• Advertisement

Wee bit bold today. Was supposed to do 6M recovery, ie 9:45 - 10:45 pace thereabouts

Felt a bit underdressed in the park this evening in my teeshirt and shorts. Everybody was wrapped up in jackets, leggings, hats and gloves.

Anyway, halfway around, I realised i was running @ 8:50 pace average for first three miles, So I slowed it down a little. Before I knew it, I was back up and running at 8:30 pace running along to the music.

**Mental note to self, dont bring fast music to a recovery session)**

just with less then half a mile to go, I bumped into Menoscemo, so had a brief chat along the way and slowed the pace down for the last bit.

Damn taper is a test. your body is able to and wants to run much faster, but you have to makle yourself run slow. Bring on the 25th and lets get this thing over and done with! :rolleyes:

6.11 in 54:22 (8:54 pace)

Bold again today. PE teacher will have me in detention.

The plan was for 7 miles as 5M recovery pace and 2 miles at PMP. Met up with Menoscemo and did the first 3 miles just under 9 min/mile pace. at about 3.4 miles, we hit the next 2 miles at PMP, but was his PMP of 8min miles (ended up being about 7:53 per mile). I went along at the same pace, what harm can 30 seconds per mile more do for just two miles? :rolleyes:, then ran out the last 1.6M at a slower pace less then 9min miles.

The run was good and easy and enjoyed it, but on average, the pace for the whole run ended up being just over PMP overall. So much for recovery pace, haha. Fell into a damn taper trap again! Ah well. I'll put my feet up and relax till Saturday anyway. :D

Made up a Carb/Protien shake afterwards, yummy.

6.93M in 59.28 (8:34 min miles)

Did my final LSR today before breakfast. A light 22 miler, but decided to wear a backpack with 50kg just to keep the legs nimble. Went out at a pace of 6 min miles for the first 18 miles then decided to do the last 4 miles up and over the Dublin mountains just the firm up the calves and quads a little. Couldnt really notice the 50kg Haversack on the back so I slung a deer around my neck and upped the pace.

Cooled down with 500 squats, 500 lunges and 1000 crunches, before running back the 4 miles at an easy 7min miles to drop the deer back home.

By the time Haile Gebrselassie finally caught up with me, I was on my 3rd Ice bath having a conversation with the Polar Bear that lurks in the Freezer flogging those chicken dippers.

It was all going nicely until I heard this constant buzzing noise. By the time I knocked off the alarm clock and got out of bed, I checked my training schedule for today...

**REST**

Nice..... ;)

Second last day of training

5 Miles with 5x100m strides

Set off at 9:30 pace. lovely weather. hope it's like this on Monday.

At mile 4 i started the strides. no Football pitch nearby, but on the long road, three lampposts measured exactly 100m.

Stride Pace

Was trying not to do the strides too hard, but ended up getting faster for each one.

I made up a pace band too, just in case I don't get near the pacers. Not depending solely on the Garmin this time. :rolleyes:

Visiting the Expo tomorrow for the number etc. Decided to dig out my red running top from last year with my name on it. Never got to wear it this year, but then again, I wasn't doing races with lots of spectators to encourage people along, so I'll make the most of it on Monday, when I'll need the extra burst.

overall, 5M in 47:19 (9:27 pace)

Dublin City Marathon 2010 <<< Splits etc all here

This is my second attempt at the race report, as my first one ended up being over 3 pages long in Word. All I needed was to put in chapters and an index. I’m going to take a leaf out of Mick Rice’s report on the Connemara 100M run and break it up into 5 mile segments.

Pre Race: Armed myself with just 4 gels and a small Red Bull Shot. No extra fluids today. Didn’t get much of a chance to warm up, but ducked into a laneway to join the few hundred male runners to write my name on the wall to make sure I wasn’t going to need a pee break for the next few hours. Lined up across from the 3:45 pacers, but during the walk up to the start line, they somehow ended up a good bit in front of me.

Mile 1-5: Slow start but had to go with the flow till I caught up with the pacers. Before I knew it, we were in the park admiring the frosty fields

Mile 6-10 First gel at 6M and a small bottle of water. Because we were all packed into the Furze Road, there was a massive cloud of steamy vapours coming off the mass of people along the road. Very happy about sticking with the pacers for the Chapelizod and Inchicore hills. Tucked in behind pacers to stop myself going too fast too early.

Mile 11-15 The crowd gasp in disbelief when one of the pacing balloons floats away, almost at the same point HM had to ditch the 3:45 balloon to assist an injured runner last year. 2nd Gel at mile 12 and started to lose the group because I slowed taking the gel and water. Had to run on the path to get a decent straight line to run to catch up with pacers. Passing the halfway mark, one guy beside me checks his watch to see his time and didn’t see the oncoming traffic cone and went flying. He got up quick enough to carry on, but looked injured.

(13.1M in 1:53:xx, probably my slowest HM time ever, including the first 13.1M in Connemara and probably Dingle, how can I get a PB from that?)

Lost pace at 14-15M running through hometown looking out for familiar faces, got annoyed when I seen the gap I made.

Mile 16-20 The downhill in Terenure was a blessing, allowing me to speed up and catch the group again. Still felt very strong and no signs of tiring. Was starting to skip some of the water stations, because I didn’t need much water, just a couple of swigs, then ditch the bottle. Tackled the Millltown hill with a good pace again and celebrated with the 3rd Gel. Started to lose the pacers along the long incline on the Clonskeagh Road, but this always happens. My worst part of the course. The Roebuck hill was finished before it felt like it even started.

Mile 21-25 Got fed up trying to play catch up with the pacers. I had the pace band and started about 20-30 seconds behind them anyway, so I knew I could pace my own endgame from here on in. Took the Red Bull shot at 22M and decided to carry a bottle of water from Vincent’s, just so I could sip regularly if the thirst was on me for the last bit. Being away from the pack gave me a bit more focus and I was enjoying running my own race, checking my splits, rhythm, stride etc, doing all my own work. Was getting more cheers from the crowd too, because of the name on the top, and that I wasn’t hidden away in a group. I never bothered with the 4th Gel, didn’t feel I needed it. I knew I could finish on my own steam. The pressure was on, because even to stop and stretch or slow for a quick break could be enough to lose the sub 3:45 time. From St. Vincent’s hospital onwards, people were slowing down, walking, and clinging onto trees, trying to stretch life back into the legs. My pace wasn’t faltering. In fact I was starting to overtake more and more people, even recognising some that had to break away from the 3:45 group ahead. Slight disaster struck after mile 25, the road narrowed considerably because of the crowds and I found it very difficult to get past people who were struggling with the last mile, until Westland Row and the open road again.

Mile 26: The long loop around Trinity College was not as long as it appeared for the previous 3 Dublin marathons. The crowd were in a frenzy for all the runners and my name was being shouted from all over the place. Good call on digging out the named jersey again. Looking at my watch as I hit 26M, I think I had two minutes to cover .2M. I couldn’t tell you what happened in that last 0.2M, It was just awash with cheering and before I knew it, I crossed the line in a chip time of 3:44:25. I remember saying something to myself, but I haven’t got a clue what it was. I thanked Oisin at the finish line and the fecker looked surprised that I kept up, cos I went missing from view ages back, haha. For the last 5 miles, I didn’t focus on the pacers at all, and I didn’t realise how close I was behind them until I seen the video footage of me running over the line and they were just in front of me.

Looking back, this seemed to be the first race that I truly went out and raced from start to finish. One I didn’t just settle for whatever time I thought make it to the finish line. It wasn’t easy, but I set out and kept an even pace from the first footfall, all the way and didn’t compromise anything along the way.

The funniest moment was when a guy came over to me at the end, shook my hand and thanked me for keeping him going for the last few miles. Turned out his name was Eamonn too, and when the crowd were cheering me on, he was getting a boost and then eventually figured out why they were shouting his name, until he seen my top J

Well, that’s my log more or less finished for the year. No other major races planned till 2011, bar a couple of 5ks. Might take the opportunity to get the speed up a bit, if I get the calculator and slide rule out to see what pace I can up my game to achieve.

Month|Miles
    January|170
    February|250
    March|254
    April|128
    May|199
    June|108
    July|134
    August|201
    September|165
    October|135
    Total|1744

Might try to notch up a few miles before the end of the year to hit the 2k mark!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Fairplay Eammon (well now you have let the cat out of the bag yourself ;)). Great race and a change from your normal head out too quick startegy. It is amazing how many of us have even paced or negatived split that marathon.

I am about any of these days for a few recovery miles in tymon when you want ( and I mean recovery i.e. slow :pac:)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Fairplay Eammon (well now you have let the cat out of the bag yourself ;)). Great race and a change from your normal head out too quick startegy. It is amazing how many of us have even paced or negatived split that marathon.

I am about any of these days for a few recovery miles in tymon when you want ( and I mean recovery i.e. slow :pac:)

Think the cat was out of the bag in the newspaper clipping back in page 1, :D

I'm dying for a run and even feel up to a good LSR at the moment, but I made myself a promise to take a whole week off after Dublin, think the legs deserve it. Will be up for something next week though.

In fairness, the pacers did a great job for me to keep even splits, now I'll work on disiplining myself to do it on my own steam, ditch the 'going out too fast' mistake and trust the steady approach, knowing it will turn out good for the end of the race.

In all the races i've done in the last 3 years, short and long, I think I learned more in this one, from the last few weeks of training down to reducing the extra baggage that I dont need to carry around in the race.

I'm just dying for the next marathon though, to see if I can do it all again. ;)

Incidently, I stuck to the old traditional carbs the night before and porridge/toast and coffee on the morning of the race. I hadn't tried the Irish Beakfast approach before, so thought I'd leave it for another day's training. Did you go for the scrambled eggs for brekkie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Scrambled Eggs, Ham and toast. Maybe that's why I felt sick coming into the park :o

Thats just because you didnt have enough ketchup with it.

Well, if it helps to get a 3:32 later in the day, I think I'll be flogging jumbo breakfast rolls before the start of next year's race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Brilliant Aiman.
    I dont know why your last post didnt come into my inbox directly. I feared that it had not going your way even though your race preparations was super. I am so pleased to read your seemingly cushy jog to sub 3.45

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

I saw you at about 2 miles bud and never again. I did fear the worst. Excellent running mate.

Brilliant Aiman.
    I dont know why your last post didnt come into my inbox directly. I feared that it had not going your way even though your race preparations was super. I am so pleased to read your seemingly cushy jog to sub 3.45

Cheers hottotrot. It wasnt that cushy and will be a bit of work for me to improve on it. Well done in Venice btw, amazing that you got over your fear of bridges, especially the big one to finish the race. Not many people would run 26.2miles laced with phobias.
    Oisin11178 wrote: »
    I saw you at about 2 miles bud and never again. I did fear the worst. Excellent running mate.

I just tucked myself in behind and kept up. Hopefully, I'll be running with the 3:30 pacers next year, if all goes to plan. :D

Back on the road again, after a week of rest, drink and food.

Early morning start, 3.1M in 30.55 (10:02 pace, just to wake the legs up)

Another early morning start while waiting for the Body Clock to adjust to the new times.

5M in 42:30 (8:30 pace)

Should have been quicker, but caught myself daydreaming for the 4th Mile. Think the brain hit the snooze button.

between work commitments et al, finally broke the dry spell and got myself onto a treadmill to endure a 5k in 27 mins (8:41 pace)

Felt like I was congealing into a ball of blubber since the DCM, but back in the shoes again. Not sure how I'll pull off the 6k Dollymount Strand race on Saturday. Not expecting a PB, but I'll keep it respectable ;)

• Advertisement

Despite the howling winds and rain, went out at lunchtime armed only with a pair of shorts and the DCM top to brave the elements. Ran 2.5M headlong into the wind before turning around and enjoying the wind behind me.

Mile 1 9:04
    Mile 2 9:39
    Mile 3 9:27
    Mile 4 8:06
    Mile 5 7:47

Not exactly an even pace, but felt good for getting out and doing it instead of just staring out the window. Too much fair weathered running recently, need to get used to dragging myself out on the bad days too.

5M in 44:04 (8:49 pace)

Nice slow run in the park this morning with RK, Menosecmo and Briantherunner

10.6M 1:44:34 (9:53 pace)

Monday : Pushed for time, did 2 miles on treadmill with varying paces, cant remember the time, was more interested in doing core work and weights

Tuesday: Planned a road run, but the winds and heavy rain meant I stayed indoors and back on the treadmill. Did a half mile warm up and cool down, but in the middle, I did an hour run, increasing the speed gradually after 40 minutes. Would have liked to have dome more distance, but had to reset the machine cos it only went as high as 60 mins, and lost all the last hour's info

first 40 mins - 8:20 pace
    40-45 mins - 8 min pace
    45 - 50 mins - 7:40 pace
    50 - 55 mins - 7:20 pace
    55 - 60 mins - 7:00 pace
    Felt comfortable for all the run. Covered 7.5 miles in main hour's run, carried on with core work and resistance

8.5 miles overall for tuesday

Wednesday - Ran 2 miles from the LUAS stop back home after the Art O'Neill talk. Wasnt really planning a run, but rain gave me an incentive. Did in in about 17 mins (8:30 pace). Was wearing jeans and smy casual runners without the support and could feel the knee twinge a bit. Bad Runners!:mad:

2M in 17 mins (8:30 pace)

Thursday - Handy 5.5M with Menoscemo in the park. He was my guiding light with his head torch, startling rabbits snd oncoming runners alike.

5.5M @ 8:58 pace

Arrgghhhh!!!! After writing up my log for the last couple of days, I hit the Submit Reply button, IE tells me the page timed out and I lost it all.

Seeing as I'm not going to be able to write it all again before the Apprentice starts, here's the Reader's Digest version

Saturday 20th 5K Time Trial

Finished it in 22:28, should have done it quicker. Thought I'd at least maintain 7 min/mile pace all the way around, 15 seconds slower then PB

Monday 22nd
    6.8M in Tymon with Menoscemo 1:00:55 (9:04 pace). Lashed rain and we were soaked, stumbled on a mound of debris on the path and dived into the ditch.

Looking forward to Track running tomorrow.

Right, Express entry over, off to watch the apprentice :cool:

**cut and paste incase it times out again**

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Glad to hear I'm not the only fool who falls after a bloody sore one in the early darkness of Thursday morning. Head torch will be bought & worn in future.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

From reading menopause's log, it sounds like your fall was way more epic than my near miss in Dingle. :)

AJCOT wrote: »
    Glad to hear I'm not the only fool who falls after a bloody sore one in the early darkness of Thursday morning. Head torch will be bought & worn in future.

Well recommended to get the head torch if the path is badly lit
    From reading menopause's log, it sounds like your fall was way more epic than my near miss in Dingle. :)

I had a more dramatic description in the first draft, but its gone now.:(

You were lucky, you managed to catch yourself in Dingle and keep going. Dispite my best efforts, i couldnt right myself and just gave up stumbling and I let gravity win.

Intervals today in UCD with Menoscemo, RK and Briantherunner while Mithril made us dizzy as he constantly zipped past in his training. 10 x 400m with 100 sec rest in between. Wanted to try to have a consistent 1:35 as a trial and error effort, seeing as I hadn't done this type of session before.

1:35, 1:34, 1:34, 1:35, 1:40, 1:38, 1:40, 1:35, 1:39, 1:30

I'd try maintain 1:35 again for the next session and try to bring the 1:38 - 1:40 laps under the 1:35

Was delighted to knock out the fastest time on the last lap. With a bit more of these sessions, I'll get more confident with upping the pace a bit.

Total distance with warm up and cool down on the watch was 4.69 in 37:28, but I didn't start the watch for a warm up lap on the track so was around 5 miles in total.

• Advertisement

Simple 4M recovery run this evening, Nothing major. Temperatures dropping even more.

4M in 36:43 (9:11 pace)

Advertisement