Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    c+ must try harder:D

Very generous Master. Grasshopper will try better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Aimman wrote: »
    There's big hills in Cork, You'll thank me in June

Nobody feckin told me that!

Oh Yes he would,,,,,,,,,,

You're dead right

We waited at the top for everyone. :p

Ye didn't wait til Sunday!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

We'll have to hit knockmaroon tomorrow aswell MrSlow. I think we should do 20 as well just to make sure digger doesn't get ahead of you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

menoscemo wrote: »
    We'll have to hit knockmaroon tomorrow aswell MrSlow. I think we should do 20 as well just to make sure digger doesn't get ahead of you ;)

I see now you had a plan, well I love it when a plan comes together rauch02.gif

After a bit of 'feet up' time yesterday, just did a few miles tonight to work up an appetite before dinner. Started off a bit sluggish, but started to enjoy it and got the finger out.

6.3M in 54.30 (8:42 pace, Avg HR 155)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

(8:42 pace, Avg HR 155)[/B]

Does this mean the new Garmin arrived?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Does this mean the new Garmin arrived?

Not yet, it was only posted on Friday. Might be here but Wednesday. Still using the Lidl Stopwatch and HRM. Looks like I'll be bringing my pen and paper to the track again tomorrow.

Great day today. Postie delivered my brand spanking new 305. Had to get out at lunchtime for a trial run. Now I can start throwing out more statistics to beat the band! :D

5M lunchtime run along the canal, recovery
    Just headed out on an easy run, didnt want to over exert myself before the track session

5M in 46:02 (9:12 pace Avg HR - 139....:D:D:D)

Evening Track Session 6 x 800M
    Met up with Menoscemo, Rainbow Kirby, ClaraLara, Digger, Aficionado and Perkina.

After the 400m intervals last week, I think I need to work on 800m to get the speed up over longer distance. Last time I did 800m sessions, I was just under 7 min pace, so set an ambitious target of holding 6:30 pace today. Took 1:40 rest inbetween intervals.

Interval 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Time 3.18 3:16 3:12 3:18 3:17 3:18
    Pace 6:23 6:18 6:15 6:25 6:24 6:26
    HR 146 155 156 158 159 155

Max heart rate for each interval was up to 169

Very happy with the session. I was feeling good during the 800m, and although i was feeling a bit wrecked at the end of each interval, it was a lot better then other sessions. I could probably push a bit harder in future. Might just have needed a bit more confidence to bring up the speed. I'll either increase the number of reps or the pace next week.

Overall this evening, covered 5.4M, including warm up and cool down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Overall this evening, covered 5.4M, including warm up and cool down.
    and a little walk;)

ultraman1 wrote: »
    and a little walk;)

No walkies. Was either running or standing still. :p

You're giving me a complex on walking now. I'll have a fear of slowing down in Portumna now, in case you jump out of the bushes pointing at me and shouting "It doesnt count in your weekly miles!!!!!" :eek:

• Advertisement

Time to squeeze a medium long run today. Not ideal the day after the sped work, but wont get the chance to do it tomorrow. Took in the churchtown, Taney Road and Goatstown hills for good measure.

15M in 2:08 (8:32 pace, Avg HR 149)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

u mite a consider a small taper for sunday....

ultraman1 wrote: »
    u mite a consider a small taper for sunday....

Thats why I crammed the 15M in today. Sure Sunday will be a 26.2M recovery run. Seeing as Frank has defected to the faster side, it there time to clone another 4:30 pacer?

Seeing as Ultraman has imposed a mandatory taper before Sunday.....

5.1M in 43:55 (8:33 pace, Avg HR - 142)

Little Luchtime run in the occassional heavy shower

4M in 32:43 (8:10 pace Avg HR 147)
    (pace , HR) (7:58 , 153) (8:22 , 140) (8:43 , 142) (7:38 , 141)

Got a nice suprise this morning, listening to this weeks Marathontalk podcast. I got a mention during the interview with Ultrarunner Ian Sharman.

Two attempts to write this report, ending up in losing the report when I hit submit button.

finished in 4:31, despite being over a minute ahead at mile 23. didnt slow down, didnt lose pace, but the distance in last couple of miles stretched out a tad between markers, and I lost all the banked time and ended up with a deficit, despite having the Garmiin, stopwatch and pace band.

Very short version, not in the mood of doing it all again. Now for a bottle of wine.

Having time to look back on yesterday, I really enjoyed the pacing job, even though I was pacing on my own. I enjoyed talking to the runners and getting them through the hills and winds. At one point, we were on a long straight road in the Curragh with a strong headwind which they weren't happy about, so I got them all to go into single file behind me to shelter in from the wind. If I had been Frank, they probably would have felt more wind though. :p

It was a pity the main bunch thinned out between mile 16 and 18. managed to keep one woman going up to mile 24, but she just couldn't keep the pace for the last stretch. Fair play to her though, her last marathon was over 5 hours and she ended up with 4:35 i think.

Today
    After the pacing yesterday, the legs felt absolutely great. Took advantage of getting in another long run as I need to build up the mileage coming up to Portumna.

15M in 2:14 (8:58 pace, avg HR 143)

During the run, I met Menoscemo on one of the loops of Tymon and stayed with him until his session was over. Could have kept going for longer after the 15, but the tummy was starting to think the throat was cut and didn't fancy making dinner too late at night.

I'll probably head out to the track with the others tomorrow, but not sure if I'll be doing a speed session, I'll wait and see.

UCD Training session.

For once, noboby had matching tops, Result!!!!

Wasnt really sure if speedwork was the bet form of recovery after 41 miles over the last couple of days, but I decided to at least do one 400m and take it from there.

Rep Time (Avg HR) Peak HR
    1- 101 (136) 172
    2- 95 (148) 163
    3- 93 (155) 168
    4- 95 (154) 168
    5- 96 (148) 167
    6- 92 (146) 169
    7- 89 (148) 171
    8- 90 (148) 168

Better session than I was expecting, and feeling good after it. Legs didnt have the reserves after the last two days to bring the speed up, but I felt good at the end of each rep. Bit of rest and I could have done faster.

4.8M overall with w/u and c/d

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

For once, noboby had matching tops, Result!!!!
    I really took a gamble there by wearing the DCM '10 top :pac:

:D
    I really took a gamble there by wearing the DCM '10 top :pac:

You did. We'll have to enfore a time penalty for peole who show up in the same tops in future :D

• Advertisement

Handy 5M recovery run today

5M in 46:35 (9:19 pace, Avg HR 143)

That's all, nothing major. :o

OK, in Germany at the moment, and between technical training, running and beer drinking, not much opportunity to log the runs, so here goes.

Saturday 45k or 5hours

I wasn’t looking forward to this run for a couple of reasons
    1: After two days on the go working and little sleep, I was up at 4:30am to catch a plane to Frankfurt. By the time I eventually arrived in the hotel at 2pm, Breakfast and Lunch comprised of some type of Krispie bar and an apple strudel cake I grabbed from a vending machine before nearly missing my train.

2: It was sunny and 23 degrees

3: I was trying out the walk run approach for Portumna

The plan was to run 4k and walk 1k. the plan was for either 45k or 5 hours, which ever came first, but I decided to program 50k in 5hours into the Garmin and try to keep ahead of the virtual runner. The first 30k was going really well. I would gain about 400 – 500m on the virtual runner over the 4k, and then by the time I finished the walk, I’d still have about 200m up. It was a strange experience and it didn’t really sit right with me, but it was something I wasn’t used to. After the first 10 miles of great sunshine, the clouds rolled in, heavens opened with very heavy downpours and some great thunder and lightening for the next few hours. I was running a 12k loop and was able to stop outside my room where I stashed food and drinks.
    After 30k, I started to run into trouble and the pace stared dropping off. Thought it might be down to dehydration in the heat, even though I was taking on lots of water and salts. Then again I think it was down to fatigue, all the travel and lack of meals, all catching up on me. Eventually, I knew I’d end up doing more damage going for 50k and the 5hour target was slipping away. I settled for 45k in the end. It was in the plan, and with the hectic running around over the last few days and the travelling to Germany that day, It would be too much to expect more.

45k in 4:45 (10:13 pace, Avg HR 140)

Sunday – 16M
    I was disappointed that I only found out on the Saturday night that there was a marathon in Kassel today, not too far away from me. Would have been nice to squeeze in another international marathon. If I just went for an 8 Mile run today, it definitely would have been the best training run of my life. I headed off into the forest trails around the region, passing through sleepy towns and passing by people on miles and in line roller skates, all in the glorious hot sunshine, but when I got back to the hotel for some drinks, I found it hard to motivate myself for the next 8 miles. Even though I took lots of water with me, I constantly felt thirsty and the last few miles were hell to finish. What made it worse is that I was listening to MarathonTalk podcast a couple of days beforehand and they were talking about the importance of hydration and the complications from dehydration. I was starting to feel all the symptoms. I think I was suffering from Runner’s Hypochondria. I reckon the sudden change to a hot climate had an affect and regardless of how much drink and food I took on, the legs were not feeling the love.

16M in 2:36 (9:45 pace, Avg HR 137)

Monday – 4.6M
    Dragged one of the other engineers out for a run in the evening. Was only going to be a recovery run, but after the weekend, I found it difficult to breath and get into a decent rhythm but by the time I hit 3 miles, I was feeling comfortable.

4.6M in 41:53 (9:01 pace)

Tuesday
    Early morning run today, get it out of the way. Very handy 3M, just enough to get me over the 1000M mark for the challenge, a week earlier then last year.:cool::cool::cool:

3M in 26:29 (8:49 pace, Avg HR 147)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Great training. Well done for getting those long runs in while travelling.
    Saturday 45k or 5hours

Get thems km's outta here. :mad:

Edit: Well done on the 1000 miles.

Back on Irish soil, quick catch up

25th - Early morning run around the Fulda,
    4.35M in 36.03 (8:17 pace, Avg HR 147)

Today 10M run in the sun along the canals and bogs
    10M in 1:22:46 (8:16 pace, Avg HR 155)
    Think I'm gradually detoxing the weissbeirs out of me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I need to lie down after reading your log. That is some running! WOW!!

jcsmum wrote: »
    I need to lie down after reading your log. That is some running! WOW!!

Cheers, thanks. Starting to worry that it's not even enough at the moment for Portumna. The double runs on the weekend took a lot out of me and even after the run on Saturday, I was doubting I'd be able to carry on for another 55k, but I'm trying to put it down to all the long early travelling and lack of food before the run.

To make it worse, the first 8~9 miles of the next day's run was my most enjoyable ever, in terms of feeling strong and comfortable, lovery surroundings and keeping up a good pace after the previous day, then the whole thing crashed suddenly and made the rest of the run, one of my worst.

Took three days of towards the end of last week to reset things and got back out for a run yesterday, but I just think I've a touch of the runners blues from the weekend and have the niggling doubts about Portumna. Now that I'm back on home ground and back into a proper routine, I can get back into reading everyones logs for a bit of inspiration.

At least I got to run in the hot humid sunny weather. It might come in handy for pacing Cork next Monday. I believe the weather is to pick up here for the weekend. Another opportunity to top up the tan again :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

At least I got to run in the hot humid sunny weather. It might come in handy for pacing Cork next Monday. I believe the weather is to pick up here for the weekend. Another opportunity to top up the tan again :-)

Sunscreen was the last thing on my mind in packing my bags for Newry yesterday. I have lovely red neck and shoulders this morning. :cool: (my battle scars!)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Sunscreen was the last thing on my mind in packing my bags for Newry yesterday. I have lovely red neck and shoulders this morning. :cool: (my battle scars!)

Ouch, that must be nasty. A cold Pint glass of Bulmers resting on the neck would sort it out. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ouch, that must be nasty. A cold Pint glass of Bulmers resting on the neck would sort it out. :D

But if it's resting on her neck she can't enjoy drinking it!

• Advertisement

4M Recovery run,
    Nothing strenuous, just a light jaunt.

4M in 36:48 (9:11 pace, Avg HR 140)

Advertisement