Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Massive well done- fantastic achievement
    I'm in awe of you running 90 miles
    I was struggling away this morning doing 9 and I was thinking about you doing 90!

The extra 10 miles are just the little bit of motivation for next year. It would be interesting to see how you'd get on with the same training and a different race strategy, it seems to me that an awful lot of how you get on depends on your plan for the day and how you react to unfolding events. And I don't mean that in any superficial type of way- having never gone longer than a half I can't imagine the fitness and resolve required to keep going, I have a sense that psychologial preparation and tooling yourself to deal with the pain, the wanting to give up is probably really really important.

Having said that I'm sure you've ideas about what you'd do differently in training and in the event.

10 miles is less than 1/2 mile extra per hour for 24 hours- I've no doubt but that you have that in you. ( thus spake the man who is clueless about ultrarunning!)

A hearty congratulations again- be proud of your magnificent feat!

Cheers W.B. It should be easy enough to make up the 10 miles next year. Once I know what to expect, I should be able to plan the whole day better and watch out for the signs of tiredness or when I need to pop in for a massage etc.

They are moving the venue next year because the Mary Peters Track is being renovated. I just hope the location and weather conditions are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Never mind next year, i expect you over here in 7 weeks time, i'll be getting the whip out once you start walking :p

http://uk.srichinmoyraces.org/files/uk/ultras/24hour/entry%20form%202011_0.pdf

Saturday 30th

3.4M Recovery, legs felt good starting off and continued to feel better as the run went on. No niggles or injury.

Finally signed up for Dublin Marathon

3.4M (9:20 pace, Avg HR 141)

Miles for July - 173.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

well done in Belfast eamon... Fair play for coming through all ur wierd and wonderful ( not !! ) experiences... Showed real mental and physical toughness.... Relax now 4 a while and let those batteries recharge :)... Great report btw....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Amazing achievement. Well done (again!) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Never mind next year, i expect you over here in 7 weeks time, i'll be getting the whip out once you start walking :p

I was looking at that race. Was thinking of going over amazing depth of quality. Decided againest it it because to busy but maybe next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Fantastic report for a fantastic run.
    YOU KNOW YOU HAVE DONE YOUR BEST WHEN YOU HAVE GIVEN IT ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING.
    Be happy that you gave it your all and learned lots for the next outing. Its a fabulous distance and you can be well proud.
    You can always take up a career in writing if you decide to throw in the running .

Just as well i didnt stay for drinks after or I would have been sitting on my own.!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done in Belfast Aimmo! Amazing stuff, delighted for you :D

You can always take up a career in writing if you decide to throw in the running .

Sorry for the lenght of the report, I didnt think it went on for so long till I posted it, lol.

Tempting, but the 3:30 in Dublin is on the agenda now. Maybe next year :-)

• Advertisement

Legs getting back to normal. Signed up for the DCM and Half marathon just before the cheapy deadline. Going to give the 10m a miss, as I wont really have the full potential to give it a lash.

The 12 week P&D plan kicks in on Monday, so just getting the legs ready for a bit of hard work soming soon

Tuesday - 5M early run before breakfast. Had planned to maintain sub 9 average. Found myself struggling at 9:20 pace overall, but legs finally came around and knocked out a quicker 2nd half.

5M in 44:50 (8:58 pace, Avg HR 138)

Wednesday - 4.5M, bit more adventereous, tried out my new PMP, handled it well, but think I might have ben in trouble if I kept going. Dont think legs have fully forgiven me yet since Belfast, but getting there

4.5M in 35.54 (7:59 pace, Avg HR 153)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Just catching up on the 24 hour report now. Cracking stuff- well done!

OK, putting the ultra stuff on the backburner for a while. Time to concentrate on a 3:30 in Dublin and today is the start of my 12 week P&D program. Took to Tymon in my new Asics 2160 which I got as a pressie over the weekend. seems a bit lighter then the older models, but maybe thats because they havent accumulated all the dirt and sweat in them yet. :eek:

6M Recovery in 55:11 (9:10 pace, Avg HR 144, Max HR 162)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

There's one shot of you here!

Today's schedule : 8M General Aerobic with 10 x100m strides

Set off doing first 3.7M at 8:40 pace feeling comfortable

Tried out the interval program on the Garmin for the first time. Set it up to run 100m, jog 100m and repeat 10 times, meaning I didnt have to keep looking at the watch or use markers to run between, just went by the alarm sounds on the watch. Averaged around 6:05 - 6:10 pace for the 100ms running, but I think I was holding back as I was very comfortable after each sprint and could have done lots more. I'll put more effort in for the next strides session.

Finished off by doing another 3M @ 8:54 pace to round the whole thing to about 8M.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Which programme are you doing Eamo? 55 mpw or 70?

Which programme are you doing Eamo? 55 mpw or 70?

I'm doing the 70-85pw for 12 weeks. I reckon I'll be able for the high weekly milage and it will help things more when it comes to doing Eddie's Ultra in Sixmilebridge at the end of the year. It's just a matter of trying to keep the speed up for the longer weeks.

Today's plan, 12M Medium Long Run

Headed off well and keeping good pace until I had to run along the canal for a few miles into a strong wind near the end. Managed to make some of it back up for the last couple of miles though.

12M in 1:49 (9:07 pace, Avg HR 150)

Bit worried about Saturday's run though, 17M with 8 @ PMP, will be a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Good solid running, did you see the new half route for the Park? Much easier, you'll blow your PB out of the water! Get in some 24 minute rather than 24 hour track sessions, the tent is optional!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Aimman wrote: »
    Bit worried about Saturday's run though,
    puzzie......htfu

• Advertisement

11 August - 6M Recovery run
    Went out to keep the Heart rate around 70%, but could have gone as high as 76% for recovery.

Ended up with 73% and a pace of 10:24

No Running on the Friday, too busy

Saturday 13th August, the HFTU run according to Always Ultra-man :p
    17M with 8 at PMP. Didnt go so well. Ran from Lucan village out to Adamstown and along the Canal into Crumlin. The run out was nice and easy, but when I turned around to do the PMP pace (8:00) a headlong wind picked up and the canal route was uphill, knackering me out too early. Bit of an Epic Fail, but have 11 weeks to sort the s**t out

No Running on the Sunday, Even busier

Monday 15th August
    Lunchtime Recovery Run 5M
    This felt all wrong. Bit of discomfort on my back and the legs just didnt want to move. the fallout from Belfast was becoming more evident since the weekend.

5M in 49:07 (9:38 pace, Avg HR 141 - 78% Max)

Evening Run
    5M Recovery
    Although it was just 3.5 hours after the lunchtime run, it was much more enjoyable and I had more energy and could bring up the tempo a bit more

5.4M in 49:32 (9:10 pace, Avg HR 141 - 78% Max)

Have a LT planned for tonight, 10M with 4 @ PHMP:rolleyes:

Tuesday 16th

Planned 10M LT with 4 @ PHMP
    The less said about PHMP the better!!! Ran out easy 3M then speeded up to hold 7:34 pace. Needless to say it didnt last long. I need an exorcist to rid the bad ghosts of Belfast from the legs. No problem with the distances, just dont have the reserves in the legs to maintain speed. Only way to decsribe it is that my whole skeleton structure feels loose and rattles. Will do some core work tonight after my 10M GA run

10M @ in 1:27 (8:45 pace overall, Avg HR 150 (83%) , (Peaked to 159 (88%) during LT phase)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You should come up to Knocklyon Runners some time - it's handy enough for you, and would help get the speed back into your legs.

RayCun wrote: »
    You should come up to Knocklyon Runners some time - it's handy enough for you, and would help get the speed back into your legs.

Yeah, I think I need to do the fast stuff in some sort of group, it would be harder for me to just give up when it got tough. Did a few speed sessions with Meno earlier in the year in Tymon and helped me push past the will to slow down and eventually got the confidence back to keep up pace.

Whats the times the group meet at? Is there a subscription charge, or just pay on anyday I show up?

I think I might benefit with diverging from the training plan a little and go back to the UCD track to do some 400m and 800m repeats again. I found that very useful earlier.

It's Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7-8pm, meeting here at the container beside the grass track

I think come September there'll be a new membership year starting, and it will be 50 quid for the year, but you can go along to a few sessions to give it a try first.

It's something different every session - tempo runs, hill repeats, 300s, 600s, 1000s, circuit training.... I only go on Tuesdays at the moment, so I can do a longer run on Thursdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Aimman wrote: »

Saturday 13th August, the HFTU run according to Always Ultra-man :p
    lilets just stick to the trainin or youl need wings:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi Aimman I'm hoping to get the speed sessions up and going in Marlay park, starting next Thursday the 25th with an eye on Rathfarnham and racepix 5kms, could be exactly what you need.

Woddle wrote: »
    Hi Aimman I'm hoping to get the speed sessions up and going in Marlay park, starting next Thursday the 25th with an eye on Rathfarnham and racepix 5kms, could be exactly what you need.

Cheers, that would be handy alright. :D

Wednesday 10M GA
    Met up with Menoscemo in Tymon and between a loop and then a trip to Bushy for another loop, brought the distance up to 10.5M

Legs still a bit tired. Was suggested to up the protien a bit.

10.5M in 1:36 (9:07 pace, Avg HR 84% max)

• Advertisement

Woddle wrote: »
    Hi Aimman I'm hoping to get the speed sessions up and going in Marlay park

Hands off, he's coming to my sessions! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Advertisement