Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    Hands off, he's coming to my sessions! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

No he's not, I convinced him last night to join Tallaght AC. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ah sure he can just run from one session to the next

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

LOL, Talk to my manager to strike a deal, but the transfer window deadline is coming up soon. $$$$$$$$$

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Join Donore. It's closer to yer missus. :pac:

Join Donore. It's closer to yer missus. :pac:

Lucan Harrier's is only two mins away from her. Any offers from there??????

• Advertisement

Aimman wrote: »

Nah, like Tallaght, they wear red so I don't approve. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

;
    Le Cheile is only up the road.....plenty of cake there;) and ul be elegible for the kildare 50km championships;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well done E on the 24hr and great race report to read. Whilst i was on the go for 12 hours i cannot imagine doing physical activity for 24 hours, savage stuff. Good luck with the 3:30 attempt in DCM.

Well done E on the 24hr and great race report to read. Whilst i was on the go for 12 hours i cannot imagine doing physical activity for 24 hours, savage stuff. Good luck with the 3:30 attempt in DCM.

But you were belting out a great pace for the swimming and cycling and stil lmanaged to know out a marathon at the end of it. I managed a wee snooze at one point;)

Thursday - 3M easy, just to give the legs a bit of a rest before Saturday

3.3M in 32:07 (9:45 pace, Avg HR - 138, 77% of Max)

Now, off to bed for an early start tomorrow. Hope to spend more time driving then I do running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Solid run today bud. Painful as well:D

• Advertisement

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Solid runs today bud. Painful as well:D

;)

Solid run today bud. Painful as well:D

T'was. Neither of us was feeling the benefits of the race after Belfast.

SixMileBridge Marathon
    Was supposed to be an LSR, but had a goal of sub 4. Had a great first half, then the 2nd half got tough as the temperatures rose. Belfast was still holding back the speed in the 2nd half and because of the heat, my hydration went to pot and I'd have licked the ice from Hannibal Lecter's Chest freezer for a bit of water at times.

Didn't stop me from enjoying myself for the best part of it, especially when myself and Frank were gorging on lunch by the river afterwards.

26.4M in 4:08 - 9.24 pace (Avg HR 82% Max)

T'was. Neither of us was feeling the benefits of the race after Belfast.

SixMileBridge Marathon
    Was supposed to be an LSR, but had a goal of sub 4. Had a great first half, then the 2nd half got tough as the temperatures rose. Belfast was still holding back the speed in the 2nd half and because of the heat, my hydration went to pot and I'd have licked the ice from Hannibal Lecter's Chest freezer for a bit of water at times.

Didn't stop me from enjoying myself for the best part of it, especially when myself and Frank were gorging on lunch by the river afterwards.

26.4M in 4:08 - 9.24 pace (Avg HR 82% Max)
    I like you had similar thoughts. I wanted to dip under 3.30. Fine for about 15 miles them a mixture of the heat and belfast in my legs i decided to take the foot way off the gas before i bonked. You dont know how much of a benifit water stations are until there are none. Happy with 3.40 given the circumstances.

I like you had similar thoughts. I wanted to dip under 3.30. Fine for about 15 miles them a mixture of the heat and belfast in my legs i decided to take the foot way off the gas before i bonked. You dont know how much of a benifit water stations are until there are none. Happy with 3.40 given the circumstances.

The water stations were evenly spread out, every 3 miles or so, But I just wasnt taking enough on board until it was too late. I thought I was drinking loads and didnt want to end up sloshing water in the belly all the way around, but I misjudged it. Think the stopping at the stations to refill took some of the momentum out of the run, especially at the halfway point when I went for one of Anto's energy bars.

Monday 23rd
    Plan was for 6M AM and 4M PM recovery pace, but couldn't get the time for 6M in the morning. Went to Sandymount and ran along the beach and along the South Wall to the Lighthouse. Weather was fantastic and its great to be co close to the city and not being able to hear a car. Just enjoyed the scenery and the fishermen catching the odd fish off the side of the pier.

Ran a bit more around the beach to make up 9M and treated myself to a Yazoo chokkie shake afterwards.

Hundred's of runners all around that way. Got to see a couple of Frank Duffy 10M tops too. Very em... purpley....

Legs felt ok following Saturday's marathon.

9M in 1:26:13 (9:35 pace, Avg HR 138, 77% of max)

Looks like ill be going down to longford afterall. After a nightshift though so it night be grim.:-)

Looks like ill be going down to longford afterall. After a nightshift though so it night be grim.:-)

Nice one. are you gonna head down in the morning with Ken? I hope to be somewhat fit by then, not sure I'll be able for the PMP miles at the end though :o

menoscemo wrote: »
    Nice one. are you gonna head down in the morning with Ken? I hope to be somewhat fit by then, not sure I'll be able for the PMP miles at the end though :o
    Yeah we might need someone to collect our mumbers. What time does number collection close at?

Yeah we might need someone to collect our mumbers. What time does number collection close at?

Not sure but I think you can pick them up on sunday morning. Don't know until what time though...

Ok, back on track, quick catch up

Tuesday 23rd August
    6.4M with 10 x 100 intrvals

Wednesday 24th August
    12M Recovery in 1:55:33 (9:38 pace, Avg HR 136 - 76% Max)

Thursday 25th August
    5M on treadmill in 40 mins (8:00 pace, didn’t have HRM with me)

Sunday 28th August
    Supposed to do a 19M LSR with 10 @ PMP, wasn’t in the right mind for it, so just ticked over with 5.2M in 45:22 (8:43 pace, Avg HR 148, 82% Max)

Monday 29th August
    6M Recovery in 1:01:18 (10:13 Pace, Avg HR 172? Cant be right, some miles were at 205bpm)

Tuesday 30th August
    Plan was for 10M LT with 5M @ PHMP. Went to the Phoenix Park, After 3M, I stepped up to 7:30 pace but found it hard to keep for even a mile. Major step back for me, so opted to head to Polo Ground and do 10 x 400m with 200m jog in between. Handy 800m loop around the polo grounds, interval pace went thus

(7:15) (7:51) (7:30) (7:39) (8:03) (7:25) (7:33) (7:55) (7:26) (7:26)

Rounded up to 10M afterwards. Hoping that the smaller sessions might just help to kickstart the legs into moving at a faster pace

Wednseday 31st August
    15M MLR. Planned to keep each mile under 9 min miles, lovely run from Lucan out to Maynooth and back

15M in 2:12:24 (8:50 pace, Avg HR 149 – 83% max) and kept each mile under 9:00

Thurdsay 1st September
    5M Recovery

5.3M in 53:07 (10:00 pace, Avg HR 144, 80% Max)

Friday 2nd September
    13.1M MLR, again with each mile under 9 min miles

13.1M in 1:53:22 (8:39 pace, Avg HR 162 – 90% Max)
    Then jumped on a bike and did another 7M along the canal. Should have set autostop on the Garmin, kept forgetting as I came to lights and gates. First time on a bike in years, legs were feeling it (wont be adding this milage onto my running total though J

Saturday 3rd September
    Happy Birthday to me ….. Celebrated with a 4M recovery run, but was running with someone who was only getting used to this running lark

Sunday 4th September
    Damn Birthday Celebrations, don’t think a 17M LSR is for me today… Sofa and TV instead

Monday 5th September
    Rescheduled the 17M LSR

Headed out strong, but when I got to Mount Merrion Avenue, all the hills came into the 2nd half of the run and the pace started to drop off
    17M in 2:42:37 (9:34 pace, Avg HR 146 – 81%)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Welcome back and Happy Birthday!

wats a mlr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

ultraman1 wrote: »
    wats a mlr

Midweek Long Run?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

medium long run, I think

Yeah it's a medium long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Welcome back buddy.
    Good to see that age hasnt affected you - other than make you sit in and watch TV. FFS whats all that about ? Get out there and be young while you still can.;)

RayCun wrote: »
    medium long run, I think
    Yep, got it in one. :D
    Welcome back buddy.
    Good to see that age hasnt affected you - other than make you sit in and watch TV. FFS whats all that about ? Get out there and be young while you still can.;)
    The thing about getting a year older is that I have to knock a whole 1BPM off my estimated Max Heart Rate. :(

Tuesday
    Was supposed to be doing some speed work today, but after the 17M yesterday, think a recovery run is in order and then do the speed tomorrow, should be able to catch up with the schedule by the weekend

4.6M in 44:06 (9:34 pace, Avg HR 159 but had some very high spikes up to 206bpm, 89% max)

Yeah it's a medium long run.
    wud a 5 miler be msr then:D

ultraman1 wrote: »
    wud a 5 miler be msr then:D

Think that's classed as an xmsr. but in your case it's a mlr. :p

• Advertisement

Raised the bar a little today, for a bit of mental strengthening coming up to the Dublin Half. Decided to do at least a 13.1M in the Phoenix Park with intervals thrown into the middle of it to overcome fatigue

5M in 43:12 (8:38 pace, Avg HR - 156, 87% Max)

10 x 400m intervals with 200m jog in between. Pace for the speedy bits went thus
    (7:17) (7:16) (7:11) (7:19) (6:52) (7:05) (7:23) (7:21) (7:14) (7:25)
    totalling 3.7M including the slow bits (around 10:30 pace for each)

4.4M to bring up to half marathon in 37:34 (8:33 pace, Avg HR 153, 86% Max)

Then jogged out additional 1.2M back to the car.

Was very comfortable running the first 5M and very happy with the splits for the intervals, compared to last week's session on the same course. I also like the 200m jog between them so the body is dealing with movement instead of a complete rest, hopefully improving the recovery process between fast sections. Also tried to stretch out my stride a bit more during them instead of just speeding up my ultra shuffle technique that I seem to have gotten settled into.

There was also a marked improvement in my condition after the intervals compared to last week where I shuffled the last mile to bring it up to 10M, but today, I set off straight after the intervals as a good pace and kept it up till I hit the 13.1M

didn't bring any water on the trip with me, but I think with all the heavy rain in the park, I didn't go short.

This is nearly ending up the length of a race report, but overall, today felt like a major step up for me, combining a MLR (Medium Long Run for Anto) with speed work and feeling strong throughout. That should tweak the Central Governor for the 17th.

14.3M for today in 2:03:33 in ( 8:38 pace overall, thereabouts)

Advertisement