Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What's the goal for the half?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Fair play Ainman, that looks like a gold session and worked on a couple of levels too!
    I'd also be interested in finding out your target for the HM...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

What's the goal for the half?
    belcarra wrote: »
    Fair play Ainman, that looks like a gold session and worked on a couple of levels too!
    I'd also be interested in finding out your target for the HM...

Well, McMillan says I should be targeting a 1:39 half (7:34 pace) but the speed is only starting to kick back in the last week since the Belfast 24hr, so I dont know if I can sustain that pace for the whole half so soon. I'm planning on running the Firhouse 10k at that pace just to test the waters, hoping the whole race environment thing will carry me along. If it works, then I'll give it a try for the half. If not, then I might just have to treat the half as a 13.1M training run at PMP instead.

Fingers crossed. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Aimman wrote: »
    Well, McMillan says I should be targeting a 1:39 half (7:34 pace) but the speed is only starting to kick back in the last week since the Belfast 24hr, so I dont know if I can sustain that pace for the whole half so soon. I'm planning on running the Firhouse 10k at that pace just to test the waters, hoping the whole race environment thing will carry me along. If it works, then I'll give it a try for the half. If not, then I might just have to treat the half as a 13.1M training run at PMP instead.

I think there's a good few looking for a similar time including myself.
    McMillan tells me I should be looking at 1:42:38 (7:50 pace) but I'm out to prove him wrong, I mean what the hell does he know!!
    Hopefully I manage to stick with the 1:40 pacers!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Just to turn your head :), you ran faster that per mile in Mallow in February, with all the endurance work this year, do you not think you could hold that pace for an extra 3.1?

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Just to turn your head :), you ran faster that per mile in Mallow in February, with all the endurance work this year, do you not think you could hold that pace for an extra 3.1?

I havent been doing enough fast runs since Mallow and cant remember the last time I was running sub 8 min pace for a run.The increase in pace is only getting to fall in place in the last week or so. All my planned runs with PMP or PHMP were epic fails recently so dispite the endurance training, the body going to have to try hard to keep the pace up without the head telling it to slow down. I suppose it all hinges on the Firhouse 10k. If I can focus on a fast pace for that without getting stressed, I should have a good crack at it. It's mostly confidence building at the moment to tell the body to keep the pace up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I havent been doing enough fast runs since Mallow

Just so you know, I am going to spend all of Sunday's LSR telling you to go along to club sessions :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    Just so you know, I am going to spend all of Sunday's LSR telling you to go along to club sessions :D

And I'll be telling him the same (but in a diffeent location :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

He'll get his speed session trying to get away from the nagging voices in either ear :D

He'll get his speed session trying to get away from the nagging voices in either ear :D

You can hear Meno all over the park, no where to hide I'm afraid!:pac:

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    And I'll be telling him the same (but in a diffeent location :D)

Ye lads must be on great commission benefits. Tell you what, we'll sort it out by a drinking competition. Whoever can buy me the most amount of Paulaner after the Half, wins. :D

4M Lunchtime Recovery run. Legs feeling good since yesterday's session.
    4M in 37:45 (9:27 pace, 73% Max HR)

I was only picking the pace back up in the two weeks previous to Waterford really. A couple of confidence boosting tempo runs will do you the world of good. If I can run 98 minutes for a half - so can you.

Friday, 4.1M Recovery in 38:46 (9:26 pace, Avg HR 146 - 82% Max

Saturday: Firhouse 10k
    Plan was not to race it, but try to maintain 7:30 pace for the 10k as a try out before next week's Half, with minimal damage fro the windy uphill challenge

Quick Warm up, 0.6M at 9:19 pace, then some stretching and 0.6M at 8:11 pace and dynamic stretches.

Key thing to watch out with this race is the annual strong wind that hits you for the whole long uphill stretch. First lap went well and didnt go out too fast, and on the 2nd lap, I held a firm pace up the hill against the wind and overtook a lot of people with no-one coming past me since the 5k mark. Carried on overtaking people into the downhill section and felt good all the way. Didn't want to turn it into a race, only wanted to keep a pace I was comfortable running. All the overtaking was a big boost, as I didn't wane or lose the position (except for two lads that whored up the hill on the last straight racing each other and took me by surprise.)

Finished in 47:47 and was happy with the run. A few seconds slower then last year, but then again, I wasn't racing flat out this year and the wind seemed to be stronger. I didn't let the pace fade away mile by mile like last year either.

Splits in mins/mile went
    (7:24) (8:05 hill) (7:35) (7:34) (8:12 hill) (7:27) (7:16 for last 0.22m)

Think I should target a 7:40 pace for next weekend and see if I can improve the speed in the last few miles, all going well.

10k in 47:47 (7:41 pace, Avg HR 168 - 92% Max, but hit 115% Max at some point :confused:

Fair play for the discipline not to race all out.

Fair play for the discipline not to race all out.

I knew that if I did, and I messed up next week. I'd blame myself for doing too much today. Next week is more important.;) Plus, I don't want it affecting my drinking enjoyment in Ryan's afterwards. :rolleyes:

Missed out on the group run this morning. Headed out for a light recovery run, but ended up doing more of a hill session when I ended up on woodland trails and walkways with some nice climbs, lovely day for it.

8.6M in 1:25 (9:49 pace, 86% Max)

Splitter:cool:

Splitter:cool:

It was a tough decision to make

Monday
    5M Lunchtime recovery, Katia Blew me at lunchtime!!! For a whole 2.5M along the canal. Was more like resistance training for the first half until I turned around and tumbled back to the office like a tumbleweed in the wind.
    5M in 44:14 (8:51 pace, 83% HR)

5M Evening Recovery. Katia followed me to Tymon and blew me there too. Not that many runners in the park, probably too worried about being hit on the head with a tree. Gusts were very strong and almots felt like I was standing still at time.
    5M in 47:27 (9:29 pace, 93% HR (think the HRM is going a bit wonky now, recorded a 115% max at times

Tuesday
    Today's Schecule called for an 8M GA, but wanted to get a speed session out of the way a few days before the Half. Upped the Ante a bit and decided on 6 x 800m with 400m jogs between. Because of the strong winds, thought is was only fair to go to the local park where there is a 800M loop around football pitches, so I'll be facing the wind as well as having it behind me (alternative was to run the lenght of the canal with the wind behind me all the way. :rolleyes:)

1.5M warm up @ 9:18 pace then knucked down for the 800m's Set the interval on the watch at 0.5M running and 0.25M joging for 6 repeats. buzzer on the Garmin is fading rapidly though, barely audible , Pace for the Splits went as follows

(7:06) (7:14) (7:20) (7:18) (7:18) (7:11) Jogs between were around 9:35 pace.

I like the idea of the big 800m loop, and its right beside work, so I think I'll be back there again for more intervals.

I'll have to look back and compare it with 800m sessions from earlier in the year, but I felt good about the session, although I think there is still room for improvement

finised with 1M warm down jog clocking up 7M for today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Katia Blew me at lunchtime!!!

Don't be letting your better half read that :pac:

• Advertisement

I tried cycling to work yesterday. Yeah, I didn't get very far. :)

Don't be letting your better half read that :pac:

I'm more worried about her bumping into Katia :eek:

I tried cycling to work yesterday. Yeah, I didn't get very far. :)

Not suprised. I wouldn't fancy cycling a bike in those winds.

Handy run out today in the Phoenix Park, just some easy miles to give myself a chance on Saturday

7M in 1:01 (8:46 pace, avg 82% Max HR)

15/09
    Handy 4M run to get ready for the Half

17/09 Dublin Half Marathon
    Was feeling good for this race and had the mindset to target 1:40, hanging onto the pacers.

Myself and Pistol_75 started off with the pacers LeCheile and Liam123 at the start of the 2nd wave and all was going well, holding 7:30 miles. After the 2nd mile, we caught up with the stragglers from the 1st wave and the place got very congested with some weaving.

The hill up past the wellington monument took a bit of wind out of the sails and I expected to recover at the top and pick up the pace again, but between the gradual hill up to the phoenix monument and facing into the wind, the recovery didn't happen. I reckoned I'd make up the difference on the way back down the road, but although I felt I was travelling at a good pace, it wasn't enough to make up the difference and the pacers were slowly heading into the distance. Mile 9 was my slowest, around 8:30 and thats when Pistol went past me.

At mile 10, I got the second wind and picked up the pace again, but found it hard to make it back near 7:30 again until the last mile. The only consolation I got was that I was doing my best and still overtaking a lot of people who were struggling after mile 10.

Final time was 1:43:24 (Garmin read 7:49 pace, but over 13.2M distance)

Its a PB of just under 2 minutes which I'm happy about, but not the time I wanted for a measure of my fitness before the marathon and a significant drop since the Mallow 10M. I'm not even going to put it into the McMillan calculator to see what time it equates to, as the figure will be stuck in my head for the big race. I'm still going to try to give 3:30 a shot at the end of October. I think I just have to train a bit smarter, focus on a bit of speed work as the mileage shouldn't be a problem. Lose a bit more weight and ease off on the alcohol for the next few weeks, to have a decent crack at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

15/09
    Handy 4M run to get ready for the Half

17/09 Dublin Half Marathon
    Was feeling good for this race and had the mindset to target 1:40, hanging onto the pacers.

Myself and Pistol_75 started off with the pacers LeCheile and Liam123 at the start of the 2nd wave and all was going well, holding 7:30 miles. After the 2nd mile, we caught up with the stragglers from the 1st wave and the place got very congested with some weaving.

The hill up past the wellington monument took a bit of wind out of the sails and I expected to recover at the top and pick up the pace again, but between the gradual hill up to the phoenix monument and facing into the wind, the recovery didn't happen. I reckoned I'd make up the difference on the way back down the road, but although I felt I was travelling at a good pace, it wasn't enough to make up the difference and the pacers were slowly heading into the distance. Mile 9 was my slowest, around 8:30 and thats when Pistol went past me.

At mile 10, I got the second wind and picked up the pace again, but found it hard to make it back near 7:30 again until the last mile. The only consolation I got was that I was doing my best and still overtaking a lot of people who were struggling after mile 10.

Final time was 1:43:24 (Garmin read 7:49 pace, but over 13.2M distance)

Its a PB of just under 2 minutes which I'm happy about, but not the time I wanted for a measure of my fitness before the marathon and a significant drop since the Mallow 10M. I'm not even going to put it into the McMillan calculator to see what time it equates to, as the figure will be stuck in my head for the big race. I'm still going to try to give 3:30 a shot at the end of October. I think I just have to train a bit smarter, focus on a bit of speed work as the mileage shouldn't be a problem. Lose a bit more weight and ease off on the alcohol for the next few weeks, to have a decent crack at it.

Thought I saw you running front of the 1.40 pacers at one stage around the S bends but I never caught up to find out it it was you,
    I finished 1.43 14 so we must have been very close.
    Well done on the PB

Are you doing Tarmonbarry?

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Thought I saw you running front of the 1.40 pacers at one stage around the S bends but I never caught up to find out it it was you,
    I finished 1.43 14 so we must have been very close.
    Well done on the PB

Are you doing Tarmonbarry?

Possibly could have been just in front around the bends alright. Dont think I'll be doing Tarmonbarry this year, might just be doing the Donadea 10k as the only race between now and Dublin, what about yourself?

Couple of recovery runs for today

Lunchtime 5.1M in 46:34 (9:08 pace, HR 140)
    Evening 5M in 45:16 (9:03 pace, Avg HR144)

Tightened the strap on the HR and didnt get any bizzare max peaks on either run. Felt good all the way around, recovered from the Half I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Possibly could have been just in front around the bends alright. Dont think I'll be doing Tarmonbarry this year, might just be doing the Donadea 10k as the only race between now and Dublin, what about yourself?
    #Might do Rathfarnham on Sunday
    Undecided re Tarmonbarry, might do it yet, will suggest a weekend home in the midlands to the missus and see how she takes it

• Advertisement

13.1M today, with a target of all the mile pacings under 9:00. Made it a bit harder by following the marathon route from the Submarine Bar, but as I got into the climb along the Clonskeagh road up roebuck, I turned right at the top of Foster's Avenue and carried on up the hill through Goatstown and to the peak on Taney road, keeping the mile splits pace under 9:00 at all times.

Happy with the run, need to focus on getting the legs moving faster though.

13.1M in 1:54:56 (8:47 pace, Avg HR 84% Max)

Advertisement