Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Have you got the stats to gauge the total eleveation -v- what it was in Dingle? With a hill on every mile in 6MB it may be quite similar.

Might target this as an Ultra for next year actually, all my goal races will be out of the way by the time this comes round so would be good to go down for the lolz.

Great running, you'll have to pace me around next year! :)

According to the map we got, there's a rise of 66ft over quarter mile, so thats over 3400 ft over the duration of the race. Dingle has an assent of only 2251ft over the 50M, but most of that is lumped into Connors Pass.

I reckon you'll be well able to beat 9:15 next year. I'll have to fight to keep my 3rd place, :eek:

Oh, forgot to mention, I passed my 2000 mile marker during the race, must update the challenge thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Great run today Eamonn. Some recovery from last week:-)

Cheers Frank. It was a great day. Nice to get back to Portumna again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Has a pub been picked for Limerick yet?

Important to nail these things down you know! ;)

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Has a pub been picked for Limerick yet?

Important to nail these things down you know! ;)

Very important! We'll have to schedule a recce, but in fairness, I think we visited all of them on the night of the marathon. :rolleyes:

Wednesday
    3.5M in Tymon 9:30 pace

Thursday
    8k on treadmill in 42:30 (8:00 pace)

Saturday - Portumna Marathon 26 Nov 11
    Race Stats
    6:30 am and once again for a second weekend, Myself and Frank are heading down the motorway for another marathon. The usual suspects line up at the start in the empty car park and we head off for 8 loops around Portuma Forest Park

For the first 6 miles, the pace was kept comfortable at 8:30 but memories of the last lap of the Portumna 100k must have came back and I got stomach cramps which lead me to run like a duck for a mile before I got to the toilets. By the time I got back on course, the average race pace had dropped to 9:07. The legs were feeling good, so I wanted to bring up the pace again and see if I could get back to 8:30. I wasnt too worried about going out too fast and feeling it later, becuase after the Double last weekend, it would have been enevitable, so I wanted to see how long I could sustain 8:30. The pace was gradually coming down and I had it to about 8:40, but the stops at the car for drinks and gels etc kept slowing me down. By 18M I was still maintaining a respectable 8:45 pace, however, the legs started to lose momentum now. I was determined not to walk for any of the race, especially knowing that I was ahead of a certain person (cough, Frank) and there was also another person behind me that I could get sight of every now and again.

On my 2nd last lap, I was finally lapped by Dennis. Behind me, RuthAnn was gaining, heading to her finish line. I was determined not to be lapped by anyone else, so I put the foot down and raced RuthAnn to the finish, I think I just made it by about 50ft. It was a great feeling to pick up the pace to avoid being lapped, but the legs didn't really thank me for it.

On the last lap, the Average Pace was 9:05 and to make sure I got under 4 hours, I got 2nd wind and got the last mile in at 8:58 to cross the line at 3:57

All that remained was the long walk back to the car park for a feed of sambos, then a stop off in SuperMacs for Taco Fries.

Great day today, felt excellent considering the 52M last week and very happy that I kept up the running all the way without having to stop or walk.

Marathon No. 29 out of the way, just one more to hit the 30 which I want to get in before the end of the year :D

26.2M in 3:57 (9:05 pace)

• Advertisement

I was bonked after 5 miles, i have a personal thing that i will never drop out of a marathon so i struggled to the end. Gave 110% last week and i just had nothing this week. Good training for long ultras,feeling dire and keeping it going. Well done Eamonn, excellent powers of recovery.

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    i have a personal thing that i will never drop out of a marathon so i struggled to the end. Gave 110% last week and i just had nothing this week.

You did great Frank, fair play for not pulling out. If you cant run > walk, if you cant walk > Crawl. If you cant crawl > crawl anyway :D. Sure you were back running on the route, think you only walked for a small section, kept the running going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

d pair of ye get a room...

We do it in Eamonns car Anto. The seat goes all the way back:-)

We do it in Eamonns car Anto. The seat goes all the way back:-)
    aloe vera eammo....now i know:D

• Advertisement

ultraman1 wrote: »
    d pair of ye get a room...
    We are, we're bunking in for Limerick Marathon. No bibles thrown inbetween the beds that weekend :D
    ultraman1 wrote: »
    aloe vera eammo....now i know:D
    And its the heated type, savage! lol.

OK, managed to skip through the whole of December without updating the log, so going to make a new years resolution to keep it up to date more regularly, so for the Month of December, here's the Highlights

Hit Marathon No. 30 in Salthill on 17th December (my shortest race report);)

Ended off the year totalling 2140 miles

Ate more food over the Christmas than I brought to Belfast 24h (and that was a LOT) And washed it down with more alcohol that would not merit the 'DrinkAware' logo,

But now, its time to shed the Christmas dripping once more and knuckle down to some training, its going to be a busy yearn
    2012 - HAPPY NEW YEAR

Plan is to cut out alcohol until after the Donadea 50k, while doing a major healthy eating 180 degree turn to get the bod resembling that of someone who might have a chance at running

Sunday 1st Jan
    5.5M run around Lexlip with Ultraman1. Ended up running headwind into a massive hail shower and my legs now have more pits then a golfball

5.5M in 49.53 (9:08 pace)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Aimman wrote: »
    OK,

]Plan is to cut out alcohol until after the Donadea 50k, while doing a major healthy eating 180 degree turn to get the bod resembling that of someone who might have a chance at running[/COLOR]

SNIGGER. BEST OF LUCK BUDDY.
    FROM HER WHO SITS ON THE SOFA WITH NEGATIVE EQUITY ON ALCOHOL UNITS AND WEIGHTWATCHERS POINTS.:D

yEAH. DO IT FOR THOSE OF US WHO CANT

Eamonn myself and meno are doing 20 on saturday if you fancy it

Eamonn myself and meno are doing 20 on saturday if you fancy it

I already have a date, running 17M around the Wicklow mountains on the Sunday, but if It doesnt go ahead, I'll definitely join you for the 20M on the Saturday

Monday 2nd
    Dispite the Lazy December and lugging around an extra stone, there was no time to start buliding up the miles again, so went head first into the deep end with a 20M LSR loop around the southside with a lovely collection of hills from Dun Laoghaire, through Foxrock and into Stillorgan. Just took one gel at mile 12 but had to stop into a shop to get more fluids (I blame the alcohol withdrawl on that one :rolleyes:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I already have a date, running 17M around the Wicklow mountains on the Sunday, but if It doesnt go ahead, I'll definitely join you for the 20M on the Saturday

Do both :)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Do both :)

I was thinking about knocking out the 37M for the two runs aready, it might be a possibility. I'll see how well this 'Couch to 37M' training week goes and make my mind up on the Friday. Are you planning on running the 20M in a big loop or just wear down a trench in the Phoenix Park running around and around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I was thinking about knocking out the 37M for the two runs aready, it might be a possibility. I'll see how well this 'Couch to 37M' training week goes and make my mind up on the Friday. Are you planning on running the 20M in a big loop or just wear down a trench in the Phoenix Park running around and around?

Not sure yet. Oisin was thinking of plotting an out and back route so that we get no water :D
    I was thinking of doing 15/16 on sunday as well so I might be interested in your mountain run on sunday. let me know.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Not sure yet. Oisin was thinking of plotting an out and back route so that we get no water :D
    I was thinking of doing 15/16 on sunday as well so I might be interested in your mountain run on sunday. let me know.

I dont mind what course we. We can loop back for water a couple of times if you want

. Just took one gel at mile 12 but had to stop into a shop to get more fluids (I blame the alcohol withdrawl on that one :rolleyes:).
    maybe it was the pace on sunday....

• Advertisement

Tuesday 3rd
    4.1M Recovery run at lunchtime

6.2M Recovery Pace in the Evening

Total 10.3M for the day

Wednesday 4th

Lunchtime run of 5.1M around a windy Dublin

Evening, met up with Menoscemo in Hurricane Tymon for 6.2M. Wind was almost stopping us in our tracks on the hills. Between the wind and the rain and hail, it was definitely a toughening up run.

Total for today, 11.3M

Lovely lunchtime run along the canal, but had to battle another 5M back into the wind.

Pace wasn't great (9:45 average) but felt very comfortable there and back. Endurance is definitely back in the legs, not bothered about speed this week.

Now I'm off to be treated to a slap up Indian Meal and a night with Dara O'Brien :)

10M in 1:37

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Now I'm off to be treated to a slap up Indian Meal and a night with Dara O'Brien :)
    I hope Dara's buying!!

belcarra wrote: »
    I hope Dara's buying!!

Unfortunately he didn't. Dangerous combination, going for a hot spicy curry and then sitting for an hour and a half watching someone who makes you split your sides laughing.:eek:

Handy 5M recovery pace today, nothing special.

Saturday: Met up with Boards gang in the park and set out to do 20M, First 10 were good and was feeling a bit under pressure after we did the 2nd pass of the car park and my pace was starting to slow and I was losing the group. Decided to head off into the trails in the park to shuffle for as long as I could. Managed 17.5M. At a push, I could have gone the extra 2.5M, but there would have been a good bit of walking or ultra shuffling so I decided to give the legs some respite and rest for the Sunday run

17.5M for the Saturday

Sunday
    - Was hoping for 15M all going well, but after Saturday's run, it was a matter of wait and see. Met up with Digger, Meno and Claralara and headed off around the Bordnabreena resevoir. I wont say the hills were easy. The legs were definitely tired after the intense week of running but avoided the temptation to walk and just wanted to keep up with the rest. By the time we got back to the car park at 9 miles I didn't feel the benefit of trying to go beyond 10M as the pace was dropping off and I had done more miles this week then every before, so it would be better to call it a week and let the proper training start

10M for the Sunday

Although I ran a 100 mile week last year, it had the 24h Belfast race in it, so this 84M week is the longest training week I have ever done. I'm very happy with it considering it's my first training week back since November and it's 20 miles more then I ran in the whole of December (including the Salthill marathon)

I could definitely feel the effects of it this weekend running with the group and the legs were progressively getting weaker and for the whole of the week, my pace was no where near satisfactory, however, I don't expect that for the rest of the year, I will come across a longer more enduring training week, so it gets easier from here on in. Nice way to start the year.:D

Now that the legs have had the mother of all wake up calls, I can get into a proper training schedule which include lovely words like 'rest' and '4M Recovery' etc. and start tweaking up the speed so that I don't have to look at the back of the running group all the time.

Miles this Week 84.1M

Well done bud, very heavy week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Serious mileage Aimman. Fair play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭topday

Good job! Some milage.

Advertisement