Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

menoscemo wrote: »
    If I'm not doing Raheny, I'll probably do this as well. We should be back in plenty of time for the free gargle :)
    Yeah sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

God I didn't realise you had done a marathon on the Saturday. Between you and digijem I'm going to have to get new friends. I'll try the 'couch to 5km' logs, pick some up there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Quick catch up, was feeling a bit lethargic this week, Only back running two weeks and I'm getting the runners blues already :rolleyes:

Wednesday, 4.1M slog early before work in 42.46 (10.:26 pace, 77% Avg HR)

Thursday, 6.2M in 56:17 (9:05 pace, cant take Avg HR of 89% cos I peaked at 128%

Friday, met up with Ultraman1 in Chapelizod for a few runs up the hill into Ballyfermot and a guided tour of Palmerstown and Liffey Valley.

10M in 1:32:26 (9:19 pace, Avg HR 83% but max of 109%, think the monitor strap need adjusting :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Aimman wrote: »
    Avg HR 83% but max of 109%, think the monitor strap need adjusting :rolleyes:

I'm getting a lot of this recently too. You have to take the readings with a large pinch of salt. Seems like when I'm wearing more than 1 layer the readings are very erratic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Friday, met up with Ultraman1 in Chapelizod for a few runs up the hill into Ballyfermot and a guided tour of Palmerstown and Liffey Valley.

10M in 1:32:26 (9:19 pace, Avg HR 83% but max of 109%, think the monitor strap need adjusting :rolleyes:

I should have arranged for yee to pick me up at B&Q. :) It's reps of Chapelizod hill next time!

Take it easy if you're feeling tired. You've been doing serious mileage lately, low mileage week won't do you any harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Take it easy if you're feeling tired. You've been doing serious mileage lately, low mileage week won't do you any harm.

That's great advice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Mr Slow wrote: »
    That's great advice.

:p

I was taking it easier this week before you told me too. :D

I should have arranged for yee to pick me up at B&Q. :) It's reps of Chapelizod hill next time!

Nah, knockmaroon hill for reps next :D

I'm not tired, just didn't have the motivation to get out and run. Between work and other stuff, the running didn't seem fun. Think its back on track now though. Excuse the pun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Just catching up Eamo some savage mileage going on.

:p

I was taking it easier this week before you told me too. :D

Sure you were!

• Advertisement

Legs a bit tired this morning from the hills yesterday, but met up with the gang in the park. Sure enough, we ended up on Knockmaroon Hill, and the hill in the People's park. After 10M, I could feel the pace dropping off a bit so let the others carry on, but caught up at about 10.5M and stayed witrh them till 11M. Pace was somewhere around 9:30-9:40 at that point. I let the others go ahead and then kept to the trails, headed done the Furry Glen and back up its hill, took the climb through the S bends and Finished with a run up the Kyber Pass, dont want to see another incline for a while! last 4 miles were slow though and ended up doing more than 15M but forgot to restart the Garmin after stopping to adjust my jacket, but not going to quibble over working out what extra I covered, just stopped the watch at 15M

15M in 2:30 (10:00 pace, Avg HR 84%)

Thinking of taking the eye off running pace for a while and just set up the Garmin to display HR% instead of pace and run within the appropriate band for the training session and then compare the pace to what I was expecting it to be.

Put the feet up for the rest of the day. Might blow the dust off my customised roller and give the legs a bit of a going over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Thinking of taking the eye off running pace for a while and just set up the Garmin to display HR% instead of pace and run within the appropriate band for the training session and then compare the pace to what I was expecting it to be.

I'm a firm believer in running by HR rather than pace. After all pace is just a number dependant on how well you feel on a given day whereas HR is an indicator of your effort.

At the moment while I'm training for Donadea and Conn ultra I'm just concerned with not putting in too much effort so I can maintain endurance. No room for fast running in my plan apart from maybe the odd session every couple of weeks.

Sounds like you had a lot of hills today so it would be less than sensible to get bothered about slower pace, especially if the HR proves you are putting in the effort!
    (But I'd say you already know all this:)!)

belcarra wrote: »
    I'm a firm believer in running by HR rather than pace. After all pace is just a number dependant on how well you feel on a given day whereas HR is an indicator of your effort.

At the moment while I'm training for Donadea and Conn ultra I'm just concerned with not putting in too much effort so I can maintain endurance. No room for fast running in my plan apart from maybe the odd session every couple of weeks.

Sounds like you had a lot of hills today so it would be less than sensible to get bothered about slower pace, especially if the HR proves you are putting in the effort!
    (But I'd say you already know all this:)!)

Problem is the Garmin HRM's. I did 2 runs today, both at an easy pace but my HR was apparently over 200bpm for large parts of both runs (my max is 185). I was only wearing one layer too so there goes my previous theory. If you run solely by HR it is pretty pointless using the Garmin at times, that's why I switch off the Hr on the watch now and just laugh look at the stats after the run. I hear the Polar straps are mouch more accurate. Apparently you can put the Garmin transmitter into a polar strap so that it still communicates with your watch....

tldr; Hr is great but you have to learn to run by feel too. If it feels easy/hard it probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Would it be worth it to pair the HRM up to another Garmin and then see if it works ok? If it does, it's likely a problem with the watch. If it doesn't maybe send it back to Garmin?

My HRM works fine 95% of the time but it does have spikes sometimes (All at the start of runs). I use it to glance at during the run to make sure I haven't been pushing too hard going uphill or into the wind.

I agree though that "If it feels easy/hard it probably is" but sometimes the personal central processor isn't workking as efficiently as even a troublesome GPS watch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Mine has only ever let me down once and like belcarra my running is all by heart rate at the moment, it can be frustrating at times but when you start seeing an improved/consistent pace for the same effort..it's a great confidence booster.
    Keep up the good work Eammonn

belcarra wrote: »
    Would it be worth it to pair the HRM up to another Garmin and then see if it works ok? If it does, it's likely a problem with the watch. If it doesn't maybe send it back to Garmin?

My HRM works fine 95% of the time but it does have spikes sometimes (All at the start of runs). I use it to glance at during the run to make sure I haven't been pushing too hard going uphill or into the wind.

I agree though that "If it feels easy/hard it probably is" but sometimes the personal central processor isn't workking as efficiently as even a troublesome GPS watch!

Second watch and second strap and still the same problems:mad: They seem to work better in the summer, probably becuase I sweat more (that's my latest theory).

But yeah, I used to train religiously by HR, so much so that I can petty much tell what my Hr is during a run by feel. It makes it frustrating after the run to see that stats are wrong though. I wore my HRM in the waterford HM to confirm what I though my LT was (should be about 165-167). Pretty annoyed that 3 of my miles (the hilly ones in the middle) had a HR of under 140 which were totally out of kilter. So yeah my HRM measure the HR both too high and too low randomly.

Sorry for the Hijack Aimman. I just needed to get this off my chest :pac:

No Worries on the HiJack, sure its all up for discussion.

My Theroy on the Blips on the HRM is this

According to my readings, the 'over the maximum' readings usually come in the first 1 - 3 miles of a run (can be 3 miles in cold weather). Although some people recommend applying a bit of water to the Strap sensors, its not a sufficient conductor and so movement on the body can be mistaken as heartbeats. Once the body starts producing sweat, that is a much better conductor because of the salt and the reading settle down and become stable for the rest of the run.

Ideally, ultrasound Gel should be applied to the belt's sensors to give optimum connectios and signal detection from the start. Unfortunately, even though I work in hospitals from time to time, I havent had an opportunity to get a tube of Ultrasound Gel, but as soon as I do, I'll be putting the theory to the test.

No Worries on the HiJack, sure its all up for discussion.

My Theroy on the Blips on the HRM is this

According to my readings, the 'over the maximum' readings usually come in the first 1 - 3 miles of a run (can be 3 miles in cold weather). Although some people recommend applying a bit of water to the Strap sensors, its not a sufficient conductor and so movement on the body can be mistaken as heartbeats. Once the body starts producing sweat, that is a much better conductor because of the salt and the reading settle down and become stable for the rest of the run.

Ideally, ultrasound Gel should be applied to the belt's sensors to give optimum connectios and signal detection from the start. Unfortunately, even though I work in hospitals from time to time, I havent had an opportunity to get a tube of Ultrasound Gel, but as soon as I do, I'll be putting the theory to the test.

I know all about miles 1-3 and generally expect to dicard those readings ( I alawys we tht HRM, sometimes with salt water), but recently I am getting spikes and troughs right throughout the run.

Look at this morning's run for example: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/143368018
    Note the random spikes even right at the end of the 7 mile run
    (170+ at a very easy pace)

Sunday 22nd, Didnt think I'd make it out to this after yesterday, but Met up with Menoscemo and Oisin4594895384 in Clontarf. Nice run into Howth taking in Dollymount Strand, with it's strong headwind to get back onto the road. We went up the sharp hill the lads did last week, but instead of turning left to go back down the hill to approach Howth from the flat, we went right and continued up the series of hills to the Summit pub and then freewheeled into Howth harbour, trying to ignore the Fish and Chip smells. Frank had to bow out on the way to Howth from an injury, but because he had clocked up 10 miles already, he was 20 miles into his the run at that point.

From Howth, we had a good flat run back to the car, but just before 18 miles, the legs were slowing down and Meno pushed on, in case his lap pace went over 10 min miles and he's be subjected to a torrent of abuse on boards :D.

Last two miles were slow but pushed on. Lasted further than yesterday, so there's an up side to the day.

I've seen more hills in the last three days then I care for to the point where I'm thinking of moving to San Fransisco just for a change:o

20M in 3:13 (9:36 pace, avg HR 147, 81% max)

Note the random spikes even right at the end of the 7 mile run
    (170+ at a very easy pace)

I'm new to the HRM but have remoistened the contacts on the run when things got erratic, seems to sort it straight away.

• Advertisement

I'm new to the HRM but have remoistened the contacts on the run when things got erratic, seems to sort it straight away.

That might work alright but I keep the HR data off during the run because of it's erratic nature (used to drive me batty). I think I'll just go back to not wearing it for a while and trust my insticts.

That might work alright but I keep the HR data off during the run because of it's erratic nature (used to drive me batty). I think I'll just go back to not wearing it for a while and trust my insticts.

Current training is pretty rigidly fixed to HR zones so I have to keep a close eye on it, at least for now.

Current training is pretty rigidly fixed to HR zones so I have to keep a close eye on it, at least for now.

Yeah, I'm a bit annoyed, not for the moment but for a few months down the line when I plan to be training exclusively by HR zones.
    How did you work out your max btw?

Yeah, I'm a bit annoyed, not for the moment but for a few months down the line when I plan to be training exclusively by HR zones.
    How did you work out your max btw?

6 reps of 300m uphill sprints with a jog back recovery.

6 reps of 300m uphill sprints with a jog back recovery.

Good session. Be prepared to add on a few BPM to your max if and when you (credibly) record a higher max. I've always recorded my highest readings in races.

Good session. Be prepared to add on a few BPM to your max if and when you (credibly) record a higher max. I've always recorded my highest readings in races.

I've found the perfect spot for those reps and not a million miles from your house either!

I've found the perfect spot for those reps and not a million miles from your house either!

I think i know where it is ;)

I think i know where it is ;)

Bet you don't!

Bet you don't!

Well, the only decent hill near me is the Chapelizod hill rd. And I can also imagine a certain someone advising you to using that one as a HR test.

• Advertisement

Well, the only decent hill near me is the Chapelizod hill rd. And I can also imagine a certain someone advising you to using that one as a HR test.

It's not as tough as that although on the link above there is a hill which is about as tough, not as long and in the middle of a forest.

Advertisement