Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

just to add to the hijacked thread,if ur gamin is readin ur HR wrong,its also calculating ur calorie usage to high as well,so lay off the pies and and indians...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

ultraman1 wrote: »
    just to add to the hijacked thread,if ur gamin is readin ur HR wrong,its also calculating ur calorie usage to high as well,so lay off the pies and and indians...

Will do, I'm having a Chinese tonight instead. :D

OK, looks like I can get some running back into my busy schedule and just in time to catch up for Donedea

Saturday
    2m short run to get a doggy out of the house for a while and stretch the legs. Dog was more obsessed with standing right in front of me all the time waiting for me to to throw a stick

Ended off the week with my shortest training week ever, 2M. :o

Monday
    Nice 4M lunchtime jaunt to get the muscles going. Felt ashamed looking at the great PB times clocked up at the Raheny 5M and Dungarvin 10M so decided to up the pace a little and save some dignity.
    4M in 33:22 (8:21 pace, Avg HR 158bpm, 87% Max)

Tuesday - Wednesdsay, no time for running

Thursday Lunchtime
    Handy 5M in 43:52 ( 8:36 pace)

Thursday Evening

Another Handy 5M in 43.17 ( 8:39 pace)

Friday
    An evening with Ultraman1 and Menoscemo taking in the delights of the Weekend traffic and fumes of the N4
    5.7M in 55:48 (9:49 pace)

Saturday

Group run in the park with the Boards Group, started off well but hard to focus on running after a while. Wasn't feeling tired, brain just had other things to think about and didn't give enough love and attention to the legs to speed them up. Felt like abandoning it after 16M but kept it going up to Knockmaroon Hill and then back to the car.
    20M in 3:14 (9:43 pace)

Sunday
    jaunt around Lucan taking in a few nasty hills
    7.2M in 1:07 (9:23 pace) Felt a bit better about the run today and found it easier.

47 Miles for the week. Gradually getting back to plan. If I realised beforehand that I was just 3 miles shy of 50, I'd have tagged on another 3 miles today.:(

Monday - Rest Day

Tuesday - Recovery Pace after the weekend,
    4.1M in 38:46 (9:27 pace, 82% max)

Wednesday - Upping the pace a little at Lunchtime
    Got a bit fed up looking at a 9 or a 10 in my pace, so got the finger out this lunchtime and pushed the pace to get back in the habit of faster running. Met* Krusty along the way who was doing a casual 15M at lunchtime. :eek: I have enough trouble squeezing 5M into my lunch hour. Had to let him carry on, as trying to hold a conversation was a bit difficult in my fastest run of 2012 so far. pace went
    8:19, 8:16, 7:56, 7:51, 8:14
    5M in 40:38 (8:07 pace, 89% Max HR)

Bit of a boost to the confidence holding this pace. Off to Cork for a couple of days tomorrow, so looks like I'll be enjoying the delights of the Model Farm Road and Carrigrohane Straight tomorrow night

*Definition of meeting Krusty - I'm belting out a sub 8 min mile gasping for air while Krusty casually runs up to me from behind, chatted for a little while and then sped off making me feel like a lada in the slow lane.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

In Cork Bouy!

According to the training plan that I havent really been keeping to anyway, today's call was for 8M Vo2 with 3 x 1200m

Didnt get out of work here till after 6 and was famished on the way back to the hotel, grabbed a Snickers (cos I didnt want to be mistaken for Joan Collins in the hotel reception) and threw on the shoes and headed out at a good pace so I decided to stick with it up the hills of the Model Farm road right to the end, then have a nice flat run alond the Carrigrohane Straight. Felt very confident all the way and Got into a comfortable running stride. Managed to get a couple of good paced miles in too.

8M in 1:06 (8:18 pace, Avg HR 162, 90% max)

Time to enjoy a nice meal in the Hotel bar now ;)

Didn't get back in time from Cork to meet up with the Running Duo 'Mento' so had to sort out my own run

Forgot to mention two things during the last week

1: One of my 5M runs last week, I tipped along at a nice brisk pace one of the evenings only to find that I put on the wrong shoes (wore a pair of casual Saucony trainers that the folks picked up in the States last year for $30. Not even ranked as a running shoe, but looks damn like my GT2160s. For an over pronator, I was surprised to discover I ran the whole thing with no discomfort or after affects.

2: Yesterday, on one of my faster miles along the Carrigrohane Straight, I felt a shuddering through my legs and up my spine to suggest that the GT2150s I was wearing had reached their 'Use Before' Date and was overclocking the odometer.

On the way back from Cork today, I stop into a shop and found a rake of GT2150 on sale for €57. To my frustration, they stocked every size but the one I've bought since 2007, however, of all my pairs I bought, my Big Toe always ended up wearing a hole in the mesh fabric eventually, suggesting it might be a little too big, although helped for Ultras, as I rarely suffer with black toenails or blisters. Taking a gamble, I bought a pair half a size smaller and tried them on tonight. they felt comfortable, but there were some niggles along the way. I wasn't putting it down to the half size. Just a new shoe with a fresh sole and fabric that needed breaking in

The recover run tonight was great. Planned for 5M recovery, but had problems keeping to 9 min miles. Big contrast to the last few weeks. In January, I had big difficulty speeding up to 9 min miles, tonight I had problems slowing down to 9 min miles. Ended up doing 6M but had to force myself from doing more.

The avg HR for tonight was 146. Looking back on runs in January, I was running 10 ~ 10:30 pace at around the same HR. For 9 min mile runs, my HR had been 20bpm higher, so I'm hoping my Heart, Head and Legs are finally starting to sing off the same hymn sheet again for 2012

I'll try out the shoes again tomorrow before committing myself to picking up a 2nd pair.

6M in 53:00 (8:50 pace, Avg HR 146, 81% max)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Aimman wrote: »
    The avg HR for tonight was 146.for 9 min mile.
    i know a good cardiologist....

Group run in the park

There was a big group in the park this morning, but several different paces and distances. I decided to try and stay with Chenguetti, Brianderunner and Pistol who were planning 10M @ 8:30.

Run went good overall and felt comfortable. Kept it together for the hills, but as the 9th mile was drawing to a close, we were hitting the Kyber Pass and I thought I was going to blow the pace for the last mile. Managed to climb it at about 8:50 pace then once at the top, I picked up the pace to finish the mile in 8:24. Shoes felt comfortable, so I'll be picking up a 2nd pair.

Pace is definitely on the up, looking forward to working on a bit of speed work after Donedea

10M in 1:24:39 (8:28 pace, Avg HR 155, 84% Max)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Group run in the park

There was a big group in the park this morning, but several different paces and distances. I decided to try and stay with Chenguetti, Brianderunner and Pistol who were planning 10M @ 8:30.

Run went good overall and felt comfortable. Kept it together for the hills, but as the 9th mile was drawing to a close, we were hitting the Kyber Pass and I thought I was going to blow the pace for the last mile. Managed to climb it at about 8:50 pace then once at the top, I picked up the pace to finish the mile in 8:24. Shoes felt comfortable, so I'll be picking up a 2nd pair.

Pace is definitely on the up, looking forward to working on a bit of speed work after Donedea

10M in 1:24:39 (8:28 pace, Avg HR 155, 84% Max)

Good stuff Aimmo, looks like your annual dose of EPO is taking it's effect again. Good job you took it before Donadea this year :P

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Good stuff Aimmo, looks like your annual dose of EPO is taking it's effect again. Good job you took it before Donadea this year :P

I got it cheap on eBay from a guy in Arizona, said he didn't need it anymore. Hope there's no spot checks at the Race next week.

Changed my multivitamin tablets after Christmas for ones with added iron, hmmm.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Good running Aimman. You were only getting warmed up towards the end.

Good luck for next weekend.

Monday - Lunchtime run.
    Started off with the plan of holding 8:30 pace all the way for the 5M. After mile 4, I was feeling good and upped the pace to finish off on a sub 8 mile. Started off mile 5 at 8:05 pace and got progressively faster as the mile went on and the average mile pace kept dropping till I finished the mile with an average pace of 7:33.

Mile Splits
    (8:31) (8:29) (8:22) (8:20) (7:33)

5M in 41:15 (8:15 pace, Avg HR 151 83% Max)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Monday - Lunchtime run.
    Started off with the plan of holding 8:30 pace all the way for the 5M. After mile 4, I was feeling good and upped the pace to finish off on a sub 8 mile. Started off mile 5 at 8:05 pace and got progressively faster as the mile went on and the average mile pace kept dropping till I finished the mile with an average pace of 7:33.

Mile Splits
    (8:31) (8:29) (8:22) (8:20) (7:33)

5M in 41:15 (8:15 pace, Avg HR 151 83% Max)

Nice pick up there Aimman, it's a great motivator when you finish strong!

Tuesday 14th – Lunchtime Run
    Decided to do this one blind ( no, not the Valentine’s Cupid Style Love is Blind kind of running) but refrained from looking at the watch for the whole run and set out running at a comfortable pace without feeling I was going too hard or much effort.

Miles & % Max HR went
    (8:14, 100%)
    (8:01, 92%)
    (7:48, 86%)
    (8:14, 85% )
    (8:18, 85%)
    (8:18 for 0.2M, 85%)

First 2 miles might have had high HR spikes while the strap settled down.

Was surprised to discover that my fastest mile took in the two marathon route hills out of Chapelizod and up the Sarsfield Hill.

Felt really good all the way around, I didn’t think I was running at that pace during the run. Body is definitely getting over the Christmas excess.

5.2M in 42:14 (8:07 pace, Avg HR 161, 89% max)

Time to pull in the reigns now for the next couple of days and keep the pace between 9 ~ 9:30 to let the legs rest up for Donedea.

Wednseday 15th - Lunchtime Run
    Kept this run above the 9 min mile pace, taking it easy for Saturday

5M in 45.41 (9:11 pace, Avg HR 147, 81% Max)

There’s a few great reports about this race already in the logs, but here is the bones of my account

Set off with the plan of holding 9 min miles all the way around for the whole race. Had the garmin set to auto lap every time I passed over the finish line of the 5k loop.

First few loops felt comfortable and enjoyed a chat with a few of the regular faces along the way at the race unfolded.

Pace for loops during 1st half
    (8:50) (8:50) (8:51) (9:05) (9:11)

At this point, the left hamstring was starting to hurt and I found it hard to keep up the pace comfortably. As the 2nd half went on, my footfall was becoming a bit sloppy from compensating for the sore hammer and the frustration of watching the pace fall off. I was staring to land on the edge of stones etc and then the left ankle started hurting. To add injury to injury, the base of my back was hurting also from the change in running. All the time I was on the move, I was constantly aware of running in the slow lane as leaders, faster runners and people behind me were passing me by. Fair play to all of them, they were giving me plenty of encouragement with each passing. I knew my run was over in terms of the plan, but a new and more frightening challenge was emerging. Frank was the last man back, pacing 9:40 for each mile to finish on the 5hr mark to mark the end of the race. With each glance of the watch, my overall average pace was creeping from just under 9 min miles towards the dreaded 9:40. Once I see that, I’ll have Frank beside me.

The whole landscape suddenly changed. Of all the races I participated in from 5k to Ultras, I’ve never had a DNF yet and Saturday was looking very likely.

Pace for the next 4 laps went
    (9:33) (10:26) (10:45) (10:58)

I even had my marathon time noted on the 9th lap, just in case. That was 4:10 on the dot. As I crossed the line for the last lap, my average pace was 9:36 but my current moving pace was 10:58 and as I turned around, I could see Frank, about 20 seconds behind me. It was like one of those nightmares as a kid. No matter how hard you run or where you hide, the baddie always knows where you are and finds you. This was my nightmare. I had all but given up. I resigned myself to just pull up, turn around and walk back to the finish area when Frank passed me by because I knew I couldn’t manage Franks pace of 9:40 even to just ran beside him.

As I rounded the pond, I could see Frank. When I got to the twin towers memorial and looks back, I could see Frank. As I tackled the three hills, not only could I see Frank, I could also hear him calling out to me. At the top of the last hill I had less than 3 km to go. At this point, I went from Never Ever Ever Ever running a race again, to just walk the last couple of km when Frank passed. Even if it was outside the cut-off time and might not be registered, at least I’d have the consolation of completing the whole 50k. Then I found myself taking advantage of the downhill stretch towards the marathon checkpoint timer, the steward was cheering and pushing me to keep going, then something strange happened. I heard her cheering on Frank but a bit later then I was expecting. I looked back and realised I had gained a little bit more distance on him. I had a Déjà vu moment from last year’s 50k when Finn O’Mara was gaining on me on the last lap and I felt the urge to use the same tactic to keep the distance. If I can’t see Frank, then Frank cant see me. As soon as Frank was out of sight, I felt the pace taking back up again. Feck the hammer, I might be in with a chance. The other niggles in the ankle and back had dissipated earlier. As I wound through the trails of last 2k there was no sight of Frank and my lap average pace was getting faster and faster. On the last corner, I looked behind and still no Frank.

There was no way I was giving a sprint finish, but in all the hype, I put caution to the wind and managed a big leap in the air at the finish line which ended up as a great photo from behind by one of the photographers. The last lap was completed at an average pace of 9:35, but as I didn’t pick up the pace until less then 3k left, I must have floored it somehow.

What happened after the finish line is a bit of a blur as I was just caught up in the emotion of almost missing the mark and somehow pulling it out of the bag at the last minute. I was followed by two people, one to give me a medal and the other one wanted my chip. Other then that, I remember a slice of Medbh’s chocolate cake, Frank standing on lots of finishers tee shirts and nearly puking after I drank a pint of milk. Would have loved to have chatted to more people at the end of it, but I think I was in too much shock, lol.

Definitely an experience and a relief to finish it.

Thanks to Anto and the crew for putting on another great race. The whole thing went smoothly and a great tee shirt and medal at the end of it. Support all the way around was fantastic and was great to see so many spectators coming along to watch.

50k in 4:57:47 (Overall pace 9:37, Avg HR 149, 83% Max)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

haha, that's a great report. Reads a bit like a 60s horror movie with poor frank as the relentless zombie coming after you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done Aimo. I'd say Frank saw your tights and threatened you with something else and you got a serious dose of HTFU.:D

menoscemo wrote: »
    haha, that's a great report. Reads a bit like a 60s horror movie with poor frank as the relentless zombie coming after you!

It was a 60's horror. 'Hammer' house of horror :D
    pistol_75 wrote: »
    Well done Aimo. I'd say Frank saw your tights and threatened you with something else and you got a serious dose of HTFU.:D

I didnt fancy Frank getting his hands on my tights in the forest. Out there, no one can hear you scream! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Er, glad I was some sort of inspiration to you Aimman :rolleyes: Will be there next year to keep you moving to the finish line once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

I was about 20 yards behind you at 4k to go but you put a minute plus on me upto the finish. Was laughing to myself as i was calling you.
    Very good report, probably the best of the lot even if you make me sound like a maniac chasing people around a forest:D

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    even if you make me sound like a maniac chasing people around a forest:D

Just as well I left out the bit about you wearing the hockey mask, blood stained apron and the chainsaw in your hand. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Well done. Great report..... bloody lunatics :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Great report and Well Done, I'm thrilled you beat Frank to the line.
    A super example of strong will and mind over matter.

Poor Frank, he had a tough day, as meno said, everyone was running away from the Boogeyman:D

Dipped the toe in the water at lunchtime to see how I would get on with a few miles (No, I'm not taking up Tri, just a metaphor). Just ran easy without watching the pace, just to keep an eye on the Hamstring. Still a bit tight but in fairness, I think I have been neglecting my pre and post warm down stretches over the last while which might be the reason.

4M in 39:12 (9:49 pace)

Evening Run
    Had extra gear in the bag, so thought I'd get into Tymon for another few gentle miles. Too dark to see the watch anyway, but again, just ran easy. Bumped into Meno after 3.5M and I checked my pace then at 9:44, but once we set off, my mind was taken off the leg and we had a grand chat about Donadea and the pace went up comfortably.
    5.2M in 49:03 (9:30 pace)

Glad to get back onto the road and enjoy the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

well done in Donadea and great report Eamonn... C u in Conn...

liamo123 wrote: »
    C u in Conn...
    Yep, I'll watch your head disappear into the distance again. :D, only unlike Donadea, I dont expect to see you looping past me several times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Thanks for the laugh at reading the report Eamo, needed it. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Well done Mister, great report!

Advertisement