Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Great race report Aimman. Gave me a good chuckle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

One man's pain is another's pleasure, haha:o

Worked on the hamstring last night. I got a loan of one of those vibrating massage devices (not like the ones Frank hides in his bedside locker :P)
    It manages to get to the parts of the back of the leg the roller cant get. The result was almost immediate and the muscles relaxed out, not sure what I did, but I'll keep working on it for the rest of the week anyway, just in case it was only a temporary solution. Getting myself back into the habit of a few strecthes during the day and after a run.

Lunchtime. Great sunny day, thought I'd take advantage by heading to the park near work which has an 800m loop. Starting back on the speed work and decided on 6 x 400m with 200m rest just to get familiar with the whole 'left right left right gasp for air and puke' speeds.
    1M warm up, the pace for the 6 loops went
    (6:50) (7:17) (7:20) (6:59) (7:07) (7:25)
    Speed was a bit erratic, but was just a starting point
    1M warm down afterwards

Total Distance 4.2 miles

Evening Run
    Leg still feeling good, thought a 5M run wouldnt do any harm. Started off easy @ 9:30 pace and brought the speed up for each mile until I was finishing on 8:22 pace.

5.2M in 46:55 (9:00 pace), Apparently, the Max HR exceeded all scientific reasoning a few times over the run, so probably best to ignore it

Total for the Day - 9.4M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Aimman, loved the report and fair play for keeping at it. Did you ever think of writing a thriller?

So who would you like to play you in the movie of the film '50k zombie runner'?

chinguetti wrote: »
    Aimman, loved the report and fair play for keeping at it. Did you ever think of writing a thriller?

That's easy, it has to be the exceptionally good looking college football jock, there's one in every horror film. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

chinguetti wrote: »

Obv there is no need to cast for the zombie at the back :D

• Advertisement

Wednesday Lunchtime
    5m run in 42:52 (8:34 pace)

Thursday Lunchtime
    5.1M in 43:13 (8:28 pace)

Thursday Evening
    Ran slow and easy for bit of a recovery run
    5.5M in 54:56 (9:59 pace)

Nice run today, Headed out with Frank, Ken and Barbie in the back seat.

Usual delays at the car getting gels, drinks etc. Ran out of fluids towards the end, didn't bring as much as I needed, ended up rummaging through the car for dregs of bottles on the last three times around.

Didnt go mad on the run, put in a couple of slightly faster miles in the last couple of laps. Felt better at this Marathon point then I did last week in Donadea, and they were within a minute of each other. Hamstring feeling a lot better, but still massaging it in the evenings.

26.2M in 4:11 (9:38 pace, Avg HR 143, 78% max)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Are you coming to Mallow?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Are you coming to Mallow?

Probably not. Are you out to try and beat me this year? :)

I think it might be handier for me to run the 5k on the Sunday instead with the weekend that's in it.

Aimman wrote: »
    Probably not. Are you out to try and beat me this year? :)

My goal is to someday beat everybody! ;):)

• Advertisement

My goal is to someday beat everybody! ;):)

Good answer ;)

Sunday - Had a great sleep last night, probably the longest in a long time. Weather looked good, couldn't miss an opportunity to stretch the legs. Did a 10 miles run, headed out at a hand pace, nothing strenuous, but legs felt great after yesterday's marathon.

Found a great long stretch of flat road between Clondalkin and Adamstown that's closed off, so would be a great spot for intervals in the next few weeks

After 9 miles, the average pace was a steady 9:30 per mile, so opened it up a bit for the last mile to 7:43 pace, felt good :D

Total for today, 10M in 1:33:25 (9:20 pace, avg 77% of Max )

Miles this week, 70M but feeling in much better condition then 70M weeks last year.

Monday 27th
    Gentle 4M Lunchtime Run 4.1M in 35:26 (8:39 pace)

Tuesday 28th
    Busy evening ahead, so wasnt really in the mood of intervals, but got into it handy enough, once I started.
    Decided to copy last weeks attempt at 6x400m with 200m jog in between. Went down to that long closed road between Clondalkin and Adamstown, only to find it fully open, must have been a weekend thing. Didnt matter anyway, as I had a long stretch on the path without having to cross roads. Pace went

(6:48) (6:46) (7:00) (6:39) (6:25) (6:42)

Happy enough with the improvement from last week, not just from pace, but consistancy.
    4M including intervals, warm up and cool down.

Friday
    Met Menoscemo for a recovery run around Tymon
    5M in 43:42 (8:44 pace)

Saturday Howth to Bray Run
    Was great to see everybody show up in Howth for the run and that the rain was holding off for a while. Some people were doing shorter distances but stayed with us until they hit their target.

In all honestly, it was going well for the first 15M, but my pace was falling off gradually. Between getting stones out of my shoe, stopping off at Seapoint for the toilets, I was losing the group, only to catch up with them at the shops etc. At Dalkey, I told them to keep going and I’d see them in Bray, as I know the pace was suffering. The run from Dalkey was a lonely one, but since the weather was good, I was going to finish the 30M regardless. Ran up the Kiliney Hill (well, it was more of an ultra shuffle) I convinced myself that the rest of them were at the top of the hill waiting for me, and that kept me running, for fear of being caught walking up it.

Came into Bray in 5:02. Was a glad sight to see everybody in the Chipper tucking into chips, burgers and chicken.

Went home and put the feet up for the rest of the day.
    30M in 5:02 (10:04 pace) Would have preferred an average pace of about 9:40, but it wasn’t to be on the day. The only consolation is that I spent more time on my feet then the rest of them :)

Sunday – Half Marathon
    I had the intention of using this to just get me out of bed on the Sunday morning and drag my tired sore legs about. I reckoned that if I could get around in 2 hours, it would be a good day.

Right up until the walk up to the start line, the legs were feeling tired. I was trying to work out when fatigue would set in and the pace would drop off. Chatted to Vaggabond, Chenguetti, Nules, Shaz and Jcsmum at the start line. Bumped into Liamo123 who was also wearing the Donadea 50k top and did his 30M run on the Thursday.

The gun went off and I started out as a conservative pace, just running to what the legs were comfortable with. After the first mile, I was feeling great and looked at my watch, 8:11 for the first mile, I went out too fast, without realising it. Kept with the rhythm of the run and the second mile went by in 8:02. The recovery plan was well and truly out the window now, but I was still feeling comfortable and fresh. I decided to try and hang onto 8 minute miles for as long as I could. The hill back up to the clubhouse caused a bit of a problem both times around and that was the only point that I could feel the remnants from yesterday’s run and lost a bit of time on each ascent. For most of the race, there was a guy behind me determined to get past, and every time he came close to me, I was able to put the foot down and gain the gap again. He had the pace alerts on his Garmin and I could hear when he was speeding up and slowing down.

I was very surprised to find myself picking people off one by one and with 4 miles left, I spotted Vaggabond ahead of me and I was gaining on him, but only very gradually. For the last mile, we were treated to a heavy hail shower and the sunglasses I started the race with became handy eye protectors but I could have done with little windscreen wipers on them so I could see where I was going. At the last 100 yards, there was one person between me and him and I had enough power left to get past her, but finished a couple of seconds behind Vaggabond.

Needless to say, I was on a high for the rest of the day. I think 30M runs the night before might be the key to running a decent race, just missed the PB by a couple of minutes.

13.1M in 1:46:57 (8:06 pace)

Monday
    Handy 3M recovery at lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Fantastic result on Sunday! :D:D:D
    Well done, no way I could have done that yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Poor w-end running there Eamo, you'd really want to start upping your miles...I mean cmon 43 odd miles...useless :p

Well done, seriously impressed - not to mention the sunglasses :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I seriously have to stop reading your log, it really makes some of us feel like we're major slackers. I mean, a half marathon the day after a 30 miler.
    Maybe that's why you wore the shades yesterday....you're just too cool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Aww well done aimman. I am uber impressed ..... but i still think you are mad :D

jcsmum wrote: »
    Maybe that's why you wore the shades yesterday

The original plan for the shades was to hide the pain in my eyes when the going got tough. Maybe they are my lucky racing shades, I'll wear them to all the races, :cool:

Throat swelled up on Monday evening and I think I was burning the candle at both ends so had to take a couple of days off running to get back to some sort of normal. Still sore and inflamed today, but needed to get out for a run.

According to my training plan, missed out on my interval work on Tuesday and MLR yesterday. On todays adjenda should have been 8M with 4M @ 8:00 pace. I didnt think I was in best shape for it, so set out on a route that I knew I could make into 5,6,7 or 8M depending on how I felt.

After the first mile, found myself relaxing into a comfortable pace, looked at my watch and mile 2 went past in 7:43, Mile 3 was sub 8 too, but when I hit the inclines through Terenure through rathfarnham, I could feel the throat swell a bit more and eased of until I was back on the flat. Managed to push on and get the last three miles sub 8 aswell. I ended up doing more then planned. I reckon a reward ice cream to sooth the throat is called for.:pac:

Miles went (8:59) (7:43) (7:59) (8:37) (8:40) (7:57) (7:49) (7:55)
    HR seemed to start off ok with no mad spikes, so I think the reading is probably accurate

8M in 1:05:42 (8:13 pace, Avr HR 83% of max)

Felt like s**t all last week, Along with the throat, I could feel the start of some sort of cold/chest infection/manflu lurking in the background so postponed the running to shake it off. Miserable 11M ran last week

Monday 12th
    Seeing as I missed out on the back to back over the weekend, I dragged myself out after work for 15M, despite not being 100%. Pace and everything else was going great even tackled the Taney Hill and through Goatstown onto Roebuck Avenue, however, digestion system started giving out little distress signals after 8M and by 10M my pace had slowed down dramatically and I badly needed a pitstop ( I mean BADLY). Barely made it into St. Luke's Hospital to use the facilities there and just had about 0.4 nanoseconds to spare, otherwise it would have been a very long walk of shame home. Back on the road but the tummy still felt a bit sore and couldnt get back into bringing up the pace until the lat mile, I put the foot down to make up for some of the damage.
    15M in 2:16:44 (9:07 pace)

Tuesday 13th
    Another MLR after work to make up for the weekend, whoopie. This time, I headed out the canal to Sanymount and by mile 8 I had the long 2.5m drag from sea level, up the Booterstown Avenue, up Foster's Avenue and past the Goat Grill to the top of Taney road. Pace slowed a bit, but nothing like last night's Sonja O Sullivan episode. Ran it well all the way back and enjoyed the time on the feet.
    15M in 2:13:19 (8:53 pace)

Last week's two runs knocked me back and had to rest up before the chest got too bad. Missed out on the Metro 5k in the city centre. Nose stopped running eventually, so I thought I'd better start again

Tuesday 20th
    Lunchtime 5M to break back into it - 45:50 (9:10 pace)

Evening 5M - Was supposed to be doing intervals, but changed to a quick paced 5M - 39:56 (7:59 pace)

• Advertisement

Welcome back sir.

Welcome back sir.

Thank you doctor, and well done on the PB yesterday dispite your virus over the last 2 weeks. Maybe I should have wrung out the man suit and did the 5k after all. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Your letting me down Eamonn. Hand in your man card asap:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Nose stopped running eventually

Not before it did 143 miles in three days knowing you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Good to see you back out there this morning. I'd better make the most of my position above you in the 1000 mile table while I still can :)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Not before it did 143 miles in three days knowing you :D

Digger, I found the perfect tissues for it too

kleenex-ultra-soft.jpg

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Your letting me down Eamonn. Hand in your man card asap:-)

Frank, I found your tissues on line too, if you need to order a batch :p

feel_me_kleenex_01.JPG
    RayCun wrote: »
    Good to see you back out there this morning. I'd better make the most of my position above you in the 1000 mile table while I still can :)

Good to know I wasnt the only lunatic out running at that hour of the morning. I think I'm well down the list now. I'll check what's the difference in the milage and try to make it up before Connemara, I havent updated it since the 30M run anyway :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Frank, I found your tissues on line too, if you need to order a batch :p

feel_me_kleenex_01.JPG

:rolleyes:

Especially if he's wearing his body hugging DCM pacers gear ;):D

Thursday 21st
    Early moring rise, 6M run before breakfast. Met RayCun lurking in the hedges in Bushy Park, had to move fast, he nearly caught me lurking in the other bushes.:o
    6M in 57:50 (9:38 pace)

Evening hill session, headed to Phoenix Park and did a few runs up the Khyber Pass, very monotonous. Think I should have stuck to the shorter steeper hills at the fort with more reps of them at a harder effort
    6M in 55:40 (9:16 pace)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Hope the Deja vu doesn't hit you too hard tomorrow morning when you discover it's Thursday all over again!!

What do you do for a typical hill session Aimman? This is something I may look into over the next month or two and I've never done them before.
    How many reps/how long @ what effort??

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    Hope the Deja vu doesn't hit you too hard tomorrow morning when you discover it's Thursday all over again!!

What do you do for a typical hill session Aimman? This is something I may look into over the next month or two and I've never done them before.
    How many reps/how long @ what effort??

For me it's 8 x 1 minute on a good incline @ 10k effort not pace, I've just started these recently so would imagine the level of effort/difficulty will grow as the weeks go on.:(

Advertisement