Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Pick a hill, any hill.
    15 minutes of running hard up, jogging slowly down.
    Stop to vomit
    5 minutes rest
    Do it again
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    Pick a hill, any hill.
    Stop to vomit
    5 minutes rest
    Do it again

You'll know you're getting there when you can vomit while jogging back down!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Pick a hill, any hill.
    Stop to vomit
    5 minutes rest
    Do it again

No issues with the vomiting(!) but I'm thinking 2 x 15 mins of that and the legs will be broken!?

belcarra wrote: »
    No issues with the vomiting(!) but I'm thinking 2 x 15 mins of that and the legs will be broken!?

You have your jog-down recoveries, don't forget. You could start with 2 x 10 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Hey Aimman,

You targeting sub-6 on the day? What's your plan?

• Advertisement

You have your jog-down recoveries, don't forget. You could start with 2 x 10 minutes.

Must be some hills down your way to be running full tilt uphill for 10/15 mins! :confused:

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Must be some hills down your way to be running full tilt uphill for 10/15 mins! :confused:

No - you run up the hill hard, and you jog back down.
    Say it takes a minute to get to the top, and a minute to get back down again. So you run up, jog down, run up, jog down, run up, jog down, run up, jog down, run up, jog down, run up, jog down, run up, jog down, run up again. You stop after 15 minutes. That's about the same as your 8x 1 minute.

But you can do the same session no matter how long a hill you have. If it only takes 40 seconds to get to the top, fine - 40 seconds up and down for 15 minutes. If you have a 2 minute long hill, same thing.

No - you run up the hill hard, and you jog back down.
    Say it takes a minute to get to the top, and a minute to get back down again. So you run up, jog down, run up, jog down, run up, jog down, run up, jog down, run up, jog down, run up, jog down, run up, jog down, run up again. You stop after 15 minutes. That's about the same as your 8x 1 minute.

But you can do the same session no matter how long a hill you have. If it only takes 40 seconds to get to the top, fine - 40 seconds up and down for 15 minutes. If you have a 2 minute long hill, same thing.

Thank you for clarifying albeit pedantically :P

copy and paste is very useful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

belcarra wrote: »
    Hope the Deja vu doesn't hit you too hard tomorrow morning when you discover it's Thursday all over again!!

What do you do for a typical hill session Aimman? This is something I may look into over the next month or two and I've never done them before.
    How many reps/how long @ what effort??

Ah, apologies, my Tardis is in for an NCT, I'm losing track of the days after the Bank Holiday.

I've neglected hill sessions for a while but made sure I got some hilly roads into longish runs when I can.

There are two sessions I prefer and the first one was specially for Connemara

1: Park the car in Crua Wood in the Dublin mountainsand run around the 2M footpath loop. You have one mile uphill with varying inclines, then a 1 mile downhill for recovery. Very handy for the enduring the never ending HOTW, but alas I didnt get an opportinity to get to run it this year.

2: At the foot of the Khyber, I do about 8-10 reps up the hills there at as hard an effort I can push out, I dont have a set effort.

Yesterday's session was a nit half-harted becuase I wasn't going to push too hard after missing a good few days running, with just a handful of days left for Conn, and to be honest, the Khyber isnt a hill if you take it at a handy pace
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    For me it's 8 x 1 minute on a good incline @ 10k effort not pace, I've just started these recently so would imagine the level of effort/difficulty will grow as the weeks go on.:(

That should do it. I got used to boot camp pushing us up at max effort, so never got to regulate the effort for the short sessions
    Izoard wrote: »
    Hey Aimman,

You targeting sub-6 on the day? What's your plan?

Still hoping for sub 6h all going well on the day. Splitting it up into thirds. I have a pace for each third, knowing I'll be slowing down anyway as the race goes on, but as the first 13.1M is on the flat, I can run the first section at a decent pace that's not beyond my means and the last 3rd should be manageable with the hills and fatigue. Have to finalised the nutrition plan though.

How about you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Aimman wrote: »
    Still hoping for sub 6h all going well on the day. Splitting it up into thirds. I have a pace for each third, knowing I'll be slowing down anyway as the race goes on, but as the first 13.1M is on the flat, I can run the first section at a decent pace that's not beyond my means and the last 3rd should be manageable with the hills and fatigue. Have to finalised the nutrition plan though.

How about you?

Good to hear!

Aiming for the same. Looking to do the marathon in 3.45-3.50, leaving me with 2.10 to stumble through the hard 1/3.

Izoard wrote: »
    Good to hear!

Aiming for the same. Looking to do the marathon in 3.45-3.50, leaving me with 2.10 to stumble through the hard 1/3.

Shouldnt be a problem to you, after Donedea.

Friday
    Met up with Menoscemo and Woddle for 1k intervals in Marley. Never got up to 1k distance before, so was a bit weary of how the pace would go. Set a target of trying to keep each rep under 7 min miles while the other two guys went around at a faster pace.

Reps went

(min/mile - % Mas HR)
    6:50, 91
    6:53, 87
    6:58, 84
    7:08, 93
    7:23, 90

Lost it on the last one, but I'd imagine I'd be a bit more confident holding a more consistant pace sub 7 the next time, first try is usually the hardest.

5.65M for the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

u shud of done an extra 160.9 metres;)

ultraman1 wrote: »
    u shud of done an extra 160.9 metres;)
    Are you mad? That would have killed me! :eek:

Saturday 24th
    Great day for running. Dug out the singlet vest in the hope of getting a tan. Plan was to do 5M recovery @ 9:30 pace. Just as I started, I bumped into Woundedknee and I gave him the guided tour of Tymon Park. Got plenty of tips about ultra running on the way around, didnt even notice the pace.
    5M in 41:40 (8:20 pace)

Headed out afterwards to a couple of shops to get the supplies for next week. Bumped into Digger and Claralara in one of the sports shops who were buying what looked like a food parcel for Africa to feed a village for a week.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

namedropper...

ultraman1 wrote: »
    namedropper...
    That's exactly what Haile Gebrselassie said to me last week too. :(

Sunday
    Met up with Menoscemo, the Vaggabond, Cunavalos and Bono (that one's for Ultraman) for a great run from Clontarf to Sutton and back. Great to run in the sunshine for a while.

On the way back, the pace started creeping up from the steady 9:30 until we were doing sub 8 pace on the last mile.

15M in 2:16 (9:07 pace)

Monday - The Taper Madness begins

4M recovery at lunchtime. Didnt have the pace on the watch, just went by heartrate to keep it under 76% all the way.

Tuesday - 3M recovery

Wednesday, working in Cork for the next few days, lovely 4M run along the Lee

Off now to watch the last rays of the day reflect through a pint of bulmers:D

Friday, gentle 3.3M just to put the seal on the Connemara training.

During the first mile, I remembered getting a text earlier from Tom Murphy telling me the date for Eddie's Memorial 10k race and that I'll put a post up in the events section to let people know (23rd June). Reaching the first mile, I stopped at a small park section that I used to do my stretches and as I was stretching out the calves, I seen a singe beer can on the ground facing me by a brand that I never heard of before. Saint Etienne. One of Eddie's favourite Ultra's in France that he loved doing. (And if you google Saint Etienne Marathon, first on the list is Eddie's posts as Scraggbaby asking about it on the RunIreland site)

Now, knowing Eddie, its probably his way of reminding me that I still owe him a beer, but I'm taking it as a sign that I'll have his good company and hopefully his support along the route on Sunday.

Well, I cant do any more or less before Sunday except spend the next couple of hours packing, repacking and making sure I remembered everything including the stuff I'll never use and the stuff I hope I'll never have to use.

So Am I ready?

1. I dont think I ran enough miles
    2. I didnt do as much speed work as I wanted
    3. I didnt loes the weight I wanted to shed
    4. I drank more in the last couple of weeks then I should have
    I'm Ready! :cool:

Miles in March: 151M

Miles to Date: 574M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Best of luck aimman. Sounds like you are ready to me;) I will give you a good ole shout out if I see you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck Eamo. Gutted I can't be there to beat you again. :)

Do us a favour an make sure digger doesn't run any faster than 6:40 won't ya?! :)

Best of luck Eamo. Gutted I can't be there to beat you again. :)

Do us a favour an make sure digger doesn't run any faster than 6:40 won't ya?! :)

Again? Presume you're referring to that 50k LSR in the forest?

I hope I'm not running around 6:40 to find out if he is running faster. :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Again? Presume you're referring to that 50k LSR in the forest?

I was going to tell you to go back after you crossed the finish line but thought that might be a tall order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

You gonna get OAP'd..... ;)

Just as well the hour went forward if we are still running at 6.40 ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Best of luck on Sunday Aimman, i'm sure you'll have a ball running around Connemara.

digger2d2 wrote: »
    You gonna get OAP'd..... ;)

Haven't you seen the film? Connemara is No Country for Old Men :) I'll have the kettle on for your Ovaltine at the finish line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Haven't you seen the film? Connemara is No Country for Old Men :) I'll have the kettle on for your Ovaltine at the finish line.

I'll come back from the pub and join you for a cup so ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

Good luck on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Best of luck on Sunday....no bother to you!

• Advertisement

Best of luck chief!

Advertisement