Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Have a great day .Loved your earlier post...

I sat on the bus beside Eddie, having the crack on the way to the start of the Ultra. Wasnt it you, Eddie and me having the photos when we got off the bus? That was the last time I spoke to him.Sadly.
    Would still love the photos if anyone has them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

WINDOWS XP RE-BOOTING........

C:\>System Error....
    C:\>Windows is now operating in Recovery Mode.....
    C:\>It appears that your log seems to have stopped unexpectedly

C:\>System Analysis
    C:\>connemara_ultra_2012.sys forced your log to halt suddenly and run out of memory
    C:\>ultra_running.dll is using too many resources and causing your system to run much slower then possible
    c:\>training_plan.bat has become fragmented and some files have been lost

C:\>Do you want to reboot your log in safe mode [Y/N]?: N

C:\>Do you want Windows to optimise your configuration to improve performance and resource [Y/N]?: Y

C:\>removing all components of connemara_ultra_2012.sys ....complete
    C:\>deleting ultra_running.dll ....complete
    C:\>removing temptation_to_run_too_far.bat ....complete

commencing optimisation....

C:\>Creating Target Drive D:\>Dublin_Marathon_2012\Sub_Three_Thirty
    C:\>installing P&D_Advanced_Marathoning.exe ....complete
    C:\>selecting 55_to_70_mile_option.cfg ....complete
    C:\>starting 18_week_training_plan.bat ....complete

C:\>Your system has now been reconfigured to optimise performance
    C:\>Do you wish to continue and reboot in the optimised set-up [Y/N]?: Y

Rebooting.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Excellent! :)
    Best of luck with the training plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well that proves what i always thought. Doing 2 marathons in the one day means he is a machine.

Hope the rebooting goes well and well done:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Great post Aimman. Well done on yesterday. Great effort.

Dave from Raheny was in Enniscorthy for the half this morning as well. Savage

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I skipped past that post with a 'huh' till I saw the replies.

Even more proof that windows is a crap system Eamo, you really need to buy a mac. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Great! Am also aiming for sub 3:30 on the P&D 55-70 18-week :) Best of luck!!

Day one of proper training..... Let me see..... Oh, Rest. Nice. Handy way of starting the plan

Legs feel fine after Saturday's madness. Looking forward to having a structured plan again. Now I just have to keep to it. So far so good. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Aimman wrote: »
    Day one of proper training..... Let me see..... Oh, Rest. Nice. Handy way of starting the plan

Legs feel fine after Saturday's madness. Looking forward to having a structured plan again. Now I just have to keep to it. So far so good. :D

Ah can you not give us a report of saturdays madness before becoming a normal runner there Aimmo.
    Any truth in the rumour that your second marathon was faster than your first. Negative splits? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Didnt realise the camcorder was out Saturday morning Aimman.... We really should have put on some makeup for the occasion :D

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/bodyandsole/2012/06/25/so-how-was-your-weekend-2/

• Advertisement

liamo123 wrote: »
    Didnt realise the camcorder was out Saturday morning Aimman.... We really should have put on some makeup for the occasion :D

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/bodyandsole/2012/06/25/so-how-was-your-weekend-2/

I was wearing make up, but the rain washed it all away. I looks like the joker by the end of the race.

18 Weeks to go:

Legs still sluggish after the Saturday, so first week of training was a bit pick and mix

Tuesday 4 miles easy pace.

Wednesday busy day working in Enniskillen and late home so no running done (Think I walked about 6 miles around the hospital anyway, but I wont count it ;))

Thursday After my lab rat test on the treadmill in DCU, headed to the Phoenix Park for 6M easy pace again

Friday Thought I'd covertly go to Kilcock for the 5k to see how the legs were recovering. If I did bad, no one would see. Unfortunately I think I knew half the running field lining up and they all got to the finish before me.

Did a few warm up laps of the track with Meno and Mr Slow, but even during that, the legs didn't feel like they had the power for the race.

First mile went well, but into the 2nd mile the pace was trailing off gradually. There was a big gap between me and the group in front for the last half mile so there was no opportunity to try and speed up and steal a few places. Disappointed in the time, but its not the end of the world, I wasn't expecting a miracle. The double took a lot out of me on the Saturday, so speed will have to build up gradually. I'll have some speed work to do next week which should get the ball rolling again.

Saturday 6M around Lucan and discovered a little road off the Canal route to get away from the traffic for a while.

Sunday 15M in the park, did a few miles early then met up with Rainbow Kirby for the rest and had a good chat on the way around in the sunshine.

Overall, it was a struggle of a week, but its just while the legs recover. Next week's training should start to show signs of improvement. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

18 Weeks to go:

Legs still sluggish after the Saturday, so first week of training was a bit pick and mix

Tuesday 4 miles easy pace.

Wednesday busy day working in Enniskillen and late home so no running done (Think I walked about 6 miles around the hospital anyway, but I wont count it ;))

Thursday After my lab rat test on the treadmill in DCU, headed to the Phoenix Park for 6M easy pace again

Friday Thought I'd covertly go to Kilcock for the 5k to see how the legs were recovering. If I did bad, no one would see. Unfortunately I think I knew half the running field lining up and they all got to the finish before me.

Did a few warm up laps of the track with Meno and Mr Slow, but even during that, the legs didn't feel like they had the power for the race.

First mile went well, but into the 2nd mile the pace was trailing off gradually. There was a big gap between me and the group in front for the last half mile so there was no opportunity to try and speed up and steal a few places. Disappointed in the time, but its not the end of the world, I wasn't expecting a miracle. The double took a lot out of me on the Saturday, so speed will have to build up gradually. I'll have some speed work to do next week which should get the ball rolling again.

Saturday 6M around Lucan and discovered a little road off the Canal route to get away from the traffic for a while.

Sunday 15M in the park, did a few miles early then met up with Rainbow Kirby for the rest and had a good chat on the way around in the sunshine.

Overall, it was a struggle of a week, but its just while the legs recover. Next week's training should start to show signs of improvement. :D

You should look at the Park down by McDonalds in Lucan Village to get away from the traffic. Nice run in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

You should look at the Park down by McDonalds in Lucan Village to get away from the traffic. Nice run in there.

It's lovely alright, limited mileage though.

Are you going to Bangor to get the 100 or are you parking that until you get your sub 3.30?

Just a thought Aimman feel free to dismiss but you have all the endurance in the world, if you went with the up to 55 mile plan concentrating on the speed end of things is it possible you'd fare better?

Yeah, I know it well, some nice hill work one you get over the Liffey
    Are you going to Bangor to get the 100 or are you parking that until you get your sub 3.30?

Think I need to get the speed up first to be honest, at least that way, I might have a better chance of the 100M next year.
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    Just a thought Aimman feel free to dismiss but you have all the endurance in the world, if you went with the up to 55 mile plan concentrating on the speed end of things is it possible you'd fare better?

It's possible that it might help the speed work, but I'd be worried that I'd lose the endurance base if I cut down on the mileage so much, particularly for the pacing gigs.

If Dublin 3.29.59 is your target. Stick with what you trust. Its nice to aim for and achieve goals. There is plenty of time for other runs. Go with what you really really want first. Make it happen :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It's possible that it might help the speed work, but I'd be worried that I'd lose the endurance base if I cut down on the mileage so much, particularly for the pacing gigs.

You wouldn't. Endurance is hard to lose. Concentrate on quality if you want that sub 3:30. You're well able for it if you train right and pick some good warm up races.

Go with what you really really want first. Make it happen :)
    You wouldn't. Endurance is hard to lose. Concentrate on quality if you want that sub 3:30. You're well able for it if you train right and pick some good warm up races.

This is kinda what I was driving at, achieve the goal, any endurance lost would be easily retrieved.

• Advertisement

Hi;

Maybe look at Lucan harriers for your speed work and you can do your endurance other days. We train on Tuesday and Thursday and long runs Sunday. Tuesday is in the Griffeen park in the summer and track in winter.
    On Thursdays we do tempo run or mile fartlek sessions.

We meet at club house around 6.55 for the Tuesday and Thursday session.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Hey, he lives closer to Bros Pearse!
    (I think)

LOL, not another Club Recruitment war, :D

Right I'm attaching this table to my log to name and shame my bad weeks.

Week Left|Weight|Weight Change|% Body Fat|Target Miles|Actual Miles|Good? Bad?
    17|199|0||54|34|:o|
    16|199|0|14.9|55|32|:o|
    15||||58|||
    14||||62|||
    13||||63|||
    12||||55|||
    11||||68|||
    10||||66|||
    09||||67|||
    08||||58|||
    07||||70|||
    06||||65-69|||
    05||||70|||
    04||||60-64|||
    03||||68|||
    02||||55-57|||
    01||||43|||
    00||||28|||

16 Weeks to go
    Monday - Rest day on the Schedule

Tuesday - 5M incl 10 x 100m strides. Had the rest interval set to 10 seconds by mistake, so was a bit of a scramble.

Wednesday - 12.3M. Meno joined me for the last 10.3M, pace was 9 min miles

Thursday & Friday Didn't get the chance to run because of hectic scheulde in Cork but the bit of a rest was welcome for Clontarf

Saturday - Clontarf Half. Had the plan to just stay with the 1:45 pacers for as long as I could. Chinguetti and RAL3 were a good bit ahead of me, but I knew I was in the right position and would gradually catch up which I did by 5k. Unfortunately, the abrupt stop at the first waterstation broke the momentum and found it difficult to get the pace back up as I was starting to feel the heat. Bit silly putting the drink station right beside a massive puddle causing a bottleneck for everyone. The next few km into Howth and back were testing, especially watching faster familiar faces already running back to Clontarf. I wasn't beat yet though, it wasn't like before where the legs just ran out of juice and there was nothing less. I feel like the body went into rest mode because of the heat. Coming back onto the sand, there were a lot of people passing me by but I was determined to make up the time once I was back on the path.
    Just before the wooden brigde, I drowned myself with a bottle of water and one I turned back onto the path, the legs were ready for a respectable finish. The pace quickly picked up and I could hear one girl keeping up behind me cursing each time i speeded up to pass someone, until I couldn't hear her panting any more. It was a great boost to get past so many people in the last two miles and get back to the race pace. Kept pushing it until I overtook someone with 10m to go.
    Finished in 1:49 which I am happy with. Not my fasted half this year, but feel like the Double Marathons from two weeks ago are out of the legs now, so I cant have any excuses.

Sunday - Rest (I took this as the rest day instead of Monday because I have two MLR to do before midweek and will have to shuffle the schedule to do them Monday and Tuesday.

I like the weight change thing you have. Might have to rob that idea off you as something to push me along. Currently 84kg but want to get to 76kg somewhere down the line!!:D

I like the weight change thing you have. My have to rob that idea off you as something to push me along. Currently 84kg but want to get to 76kg somewhere down the line!!:D

The weight had been gradually creeping up and I'm always starting to lose weight but something always happens, so now I've no hiding place if I stick it up on the log. Meant to put % body fat too, I'll make a quick change

until I couldn't hear her panting any more.

You kept going til she stopped panting? What a man! ;)

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha:D:D:D

Mr Slow wrote: »
    You kept going til she stopped panting? What a man! ;)

Maybe I should change the name of this thread to 'Sorry, I thought you said 50 shades of Grey':)

Another week of training over, not going to mention that I declined to run the Marathon in Portumna yesterday for the sake of training.......
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused: :eek:

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - 11M was on the plan but had to giggle this week about, Ran 5M at lunchtime then 8 after work, making up 13M

Wednesday - 13M on the plan but had to swap around so did 5M in the morning, drove to Enniskillen, then drove to Kilkenny and knocked out another 6M around the city just in time for the work dinner evening out.

Thursday Handy 5M recovery

Friday - Didnt have an opportunity to do today's planned VO2 session, Rest Day

Saturday - Half thought I was avoiding the VO2 sessions so I double crossed myself and swapped todays 5M recovery for yesterdays 9M with 4M @ VO2max session. Headed out to the canal and after 2M, I brought the pace close to 7:30 for as long as I could. First two miles were grand, but on the way back along the canal, the incline was holding me back. pace didn't go slower than 7:52. Can't say I enjoyed it, but the three miles easy afterwards were very welcome.

Sunday - 15M plan, Got to the park early and did 5M before meeting up with Shazea, Nules10, SunflowerRo, Youngann, Lizzy C and Paulbn. Enjoyed the 10M loop with the group and seeing as Monday is rest day and I still had a bit of power left, upped the pace for the last mile up the Khyber Road and around the car park.

P&D Plan for this week was 58M but only got to 53.2M because I missed one of the 5M recover runs, but a bit of a jump up from the last couple of weeks. I have the dreaded weigh in tomorrow morning, so I'll update the training table afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Good running Aimman. You fairly tackled that kyber!!!

Advertisement