Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Aimman wrote: »
    Another week of training over, not going to mention that I declined to run the Marathon in Portumna yesterday for the sake of training.......
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused: :eek:

You're getting soft Eamo!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

belcarra wrote: »
    You're getting soft Eamo!!:p
    :D we did wonder too where the real Eamo had gone when we heard this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Another week of training over, not going to mention that I declined to run the Marathon in Portumna yesterday for the sake of training.......
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused: :eek:

I am building a fire, and everyday I train, I add more fuel. At just the right moment, I light the match.

Mia Hamm

Portumna wasnt thew event to light your fire. Keep building :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Portumna wasnt thew event to light your fire. Keep building :-)
    I'd have loved to have gone, but it would only just notch up another marathon and mess up the training. I want to see the speed come up and weight go down first.

Week Left|Weight|Weight Change|% Body Fat|Target Miles|Actual Miles|Good? Bad?
    17|199|0||54|34|:o|
    16|199|0|14.9|55|32|:o|
    15|198:o|-1|14.9|58|53|:)|
    14||||62|||
    13||||63|||
    12||||55|||
    11||||68|||
    10||||66|||
    09||||67|||
    08||||58|||
    07||||70|||
    06||||65-69|||
    05||||70|||
    04||||60-64|||
    03||||68|||
    02||||55-57|||
    01||||43|||
    00||||28|||

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

are they kilos or pounds..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

:D hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

great meeting you yesterday Aimman...and well done on the 1lb off, better off than on!!!

ultraman1 wrote: »
    are they kilos or pounds..

I thought only tri-athletes work in kilo thingys

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - Plan was for 9 miles General Aerobic with 10 x 100m but changed the intervals to 6 x 400 to make the speed sessions a bit longer. Met up with Menoscemo and clocked up first 3 miles along the canal then doing the intervals and round up to the 9M afterwards

Pace min/mile (100m rest in between but meant to set it to 200m)
    6:32
    7:00
    6:51
    6:55
    6:45
    6:46

Too fast on the first one, set up the interval details on the Garmin but forgot to revert back to Statute settings so had no idea what those min/km things were

9.1M for today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The 10x100 sessions are a different kind of speed training than 6x400s.
    In the shorter interval you sprint, so you use an energy system and running form that you're not used to.
    The 400s would be faster than you normally run, but they're still aerobic, still the same running style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    The 10x100 sessions are a different kind of speed training than 6x400s.
    In the shorter interval you sprint, so you use an energy system and running form that you're not used to.
    The 400s would be faster than you normally run, but they're still aerobic, still the same running style.

In the P&D plan (which aimmo is following) the 100m are seen as aerobic as well and are just supposed to eb done at 5k pace afaik.....

menoscemo wrote: »
    In the P&D plan (which aimmo is following) the 100m are seen as aerobic as well and are just supposed to eb done at 5k pace afaik.....

oh okay, never mind me so...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

oh okay, never mind me so...

We never do! :pac::P

how far we goin on friday,,..dont want to upset mr p +d:D and wear orange as were on a bad road for a couple o miles

I think they are meant to be done faster than 5k pace iirc.
    I think you work your way up through the gears to approx 40m and then go almost flat out whilst maintaining good form for the remaining 60m. It's supposed to break up the slow run but also address the muscles required for fast running and help with form.
    I am pretty sure they are quite distinct from the regular interval sessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

how far we goin on friday,,..dont want to upset mr p +d:D and wear orange as were on a bad road for a couple o miles

I don't know where I'm running or how far I'm going on Friday but I'll probably definitely wear this really awesome green top I have… just FYI :rolleyes:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

belcarra wrote: »
    I think they are meant to be done faster than 5k pace iirc.
    I think you work your way up through the gears to approx 40m and then go almost flat out whilst maintaining good form for the remaining 60m. It's supposed to break up the slow run but also address the muscles required for fast running and help with form.
    I am pretty sure they are quite distinct from the regular interval sessions.

You are supposed to ease up to 3k-5k pace over the first 70m and then ease off. Never mentions anything about 'flat out'. They are always done at the end of an easy/recovery run so I am pretty sure they are not seen as a 'session' or anything difficult.
    This is from my memory and I don't have the book in front of me right now, but can confirm later. I think most people do the strides in P&D way harder than they are supposed to...

You are supposed to ease up to 3k-5k pace over the first 70m and then ease off. Never mentions anything about 'flat out'. They are always done at the end of an easy/recovery run so I am pretty sure they are not seen as a 'session' or anything difficult.
    This is from my memory and I don't have the book in front of me right now, but can confirm later. I think most people do the strides in P&D way harder than they are supposed to...

I think you're right.:eek:

Ecoli's version is 100m at 5k or slightly faster on a slight gradient with a walk back recovery and as you say, at the end of an easy or recovery run.

claralara wrote: »
    I don't know where I'm running or how far I'm going on Friday but I'll probably definitely wear this really awesome green top I have… just FYI :rolleyes:;)
    rules are
    1:it has to be in a race
    2:i have to pass u:D

• Advertisement

the horse's mouth
    V. Short Intervals (Strideouts):

Running short repetitions quickly but with relaxed form helps train your muscles to eliminate unnecessary movements and maintain control at fast speeds. Along with improved running form, you’ll gain power in your legs and trunk that may also contribute to improved running economy. These intervals are short enough, and done with sufficient rest between, that lactate levels remain moderate throughout the workout. As a result, they won’t interfere with your more marathon-specific workouts.

A typical session is 12 repetitions (or 2 sets of 6 repetitions with 3-5 minutes between sets) of 100 meters in which you accelerate up to full speed over the first 70 meters and then float for the last 30 meters. Another often-used session is 10 repetitions (or 2 sets of 5 repetitions) of 30 to 45 seconds, in which the acceleration is not as dramatic.

It’s critical to remain relaxed during these repetitions. Avoid clenching your fists, lifting your shoulders, tightening your neck muscles, etc. Concentrate on running with good form, and focus on one aspect of good form, such as relaxed arms or complete hip extension, during each interval.

These sessions aren’t designed to improve your cardiovascular system, so there’s no reason to use a short rest between accelerations. A typical recovery is to jog or even walk the same distance between repetitions. The most important considerations are to maintain good running form and to concentrate on accelerating powerfully during each repetition.

(note that these are in a different section to the VO2 max workouts)

Mr P +Diddy calls for 11M on Friday. Orange? Looks like I'll be advertising the Kildare Marathon so.

The way I'm looking at it is that I want to improve my long distance pace ultimately, not my 5k pace which the 10x100m will might do. Probably sounds daft, but I'd prefer to get the body running the longer intervals to get it used to the faster speed for longer. I have long sessions coming up over the next few months running portions of the run at either HMP or MP and I'd see that as my intended MP, not what I'm capable of at the moment. If I can the legs to move faster for longer in intervals, it will also give me more confidence to run a 5k better (which remains to be seen next week seeing as I have a 6k and 5k lined up). I was planning building up to 8 x 400m, 10x 400m then woring up to 6 x 600m, 6 x 800m then 5 x 1k.

Mr P +Diddy calls for 11M on Friday.
    he only wants me to do 9,ill bring a head lamp...and mrs um1 is lookin at recipe books..

Bear in mind that 10x100 at the end of an easy run isn't really a 'session'. I think most weeks will have a long run, medium long run and either a VO2 or a tempo session as well as the 10x100. If you change it to a 8x400 or 8x600 you're making it harder, so you're effectively adding another session to your week.

the horse's mouth
    (note that these are in a different section to the VO2 max workouts)

You tell him Ray...goes to prove those that work in kms are the enlightened ones!!

The way I'm looking at it is that I want to improve my long distance pace ultimately, not my 5k pace which the 10x100m will might do. Probably sounds daft, but I'd prefer to get the body running the longer intervals to get it used to the faster speed for longer. I have long sessions coming up over the next few months running portions of the run at either HMP or MP and I'd see that as my intended MP, not what I'm capable of at the moment. If I can the legs to move faster for longer in intervals, it will also give me more confidence to run a 5k better (which remains to be seen next week seeing as I have a 6k and 5k lined up). I was planning building up to 8 x 400m, 10x 400m then woring up to 6 x 600m, 6 x 800m then 5 x 1k.

P&D builds you up towards the end to 3 x 1 mile, that should tick that box for you or are you keen to nail a 5k pb before moving into the Steady State tempo runs?

I think the switch from 'miles' to 'metres' confuses them :pac:

Mr Slow wrote: »
    P&D builds you up towards the end to 3 x 1 mile, that should tick that box for you or are you keen to nail a 5k pb before moving into the Steady State tempo runs?

The plan doesn't move from 100m strides to 6 x 800m until 8 weeks left in the plan, that's 6 weeks time, so rather than the shock to the system, I was going to substitute the 10x100m sections with progressively longer intervals but keep the overall distance of that training the same. Granted it would be a harder session then planned though.

he only wants me to do 9,ill bring a head lamp...and mrs um1 is lookin at recipe books..

I can do 9 with you then tag 2 miles later to burn off the dessert. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

rules are
    1:it has to be in a race
    2:i have to pass u:D

You'll never pass me... :rolleyes:

That's me out so... :(

Advertisement