Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Wednesday: 14M MLR Heavy showers were putting me off, so while I distracted myself, I got changed and out the door before realising it.

Thursday: 6M Recovery along the Straight Road in Cork in the sunshine

Friday: 11.2M with Ultraman getting the guided tour of all the rich houses of people either now seized by the bank or of people who went on a mad spending spree before the economy collapsed. Lovely run along the canal listening to the sound of ducks, but strangely enough I couldn't see any. UM1 said they were hiding in the bushes beside him. Finished off with a lovely curry and eton mess made by Mrs. UM1 who would probably hear a few more spicy ducks before the night is out.

Saturday: 4M recovery. Half hearted run, left it till the evening, should have done it first thing and get it out of the way.

Sunday:
    18M nice and early. Grand 9M from Lucan village out over the Ha'penny bridge and worming my way back through Kilmainham and Ballyfermot.

Hit the mileage target this week but because of a couple of nights out and a bottomless bag of chocolate yesterday, weight is not going anywhere fast. Looks like I might also have my scales set wrong so my body fat reading is not correct. Turns out I don't fall into the 'Athletic' category in the set up. :(

Week Left|Weight|Weight Change|% Body Fat|Target Miles|Actual Miles|Good? Bad?
    17|199|0||54|34|:o|
    16|199|0||55|32|:o|
    15|198:o|-1||58|53|:)|
    14|199:mad:|+1||62|62.3|:D|
    13||||63|||
    12||||55|||
    11||||68|||
    10||||66|||
    09||||67|||
    08||||58|||
    07||||70|||
    06||||65-69|||
    05||||70|||
    04||||60-64|||
    03||||68|||
    02||||55-57|||
    01||||43|||
    00||||28|||

13|198:rolleyes:|-1|20.9|63|48|:(|
    12||||55|||
    11||||68|||
    10||||66|||
    09||||67|||
    08||||58|||
    07||||70|||
    06||||65-69|||
    05||||70|||
    04||||60-64|||
    03||||68|||
    02||||55-57|||
    01||||43|||
    00||||28|||

Monday - 5M Handy recovery pace

Tuesday - Swapped the speed work with Wednesday for the race, so split Wednesday's 14M plan today into 5M at lunchtime then 10.1M in the evening taking in the lovely trail along the canal from Lucan to Celbridge and the not so lovely main road back to Lucan in the heavy lashing rain during rush hour traffic along a non existent hard shoulder. Found two fish in my runners when I got back.

Wednesday - 6k race in Cushinstown. Went along because one of my customers was doing his first race here. Enjoyable run, but more undulating hills then I expected. Hit the 5k point at 23:19 (that's an achievement for me at the moment) but within the last 1k there was a nasty ascent where four people got past me. At the top of the hill, there was a left hand turn with 500m to the finish line. Put the foot down and kept pushing to the finish line until I went past the four people who passed me on the hill, sweet revenge. Enjoyed the race. no PB compared to my 6k Navan time, but I felt I ran it better than I expected and kept the fight up till the end.

Thursday - Busy Day, didnt get out for a run.

Friday - Donadea 5k. Was expecting a flock of boardsies at this one, but just bumped into a couple. First 3k felt a drag, it was strange running the 50k route in the opposite direction. once I got to the 3 little hills before the twin towers memorial, no one was going to overtake me and I managed to pick up the pace and get past a few people before the finish line. Was slower then the 5k point in Cushinstown (23:37) but could be worse. Room for improvement

Saturday - Ended up resting for the Saturday.

Sunday - Should have been 18M with 10@ PMP. Met up with Meno after 6M and started off with good intentions but could not get up to 8min miles. Legs were not interested. Covered 18.3M, but some of the miles were quite sluggish.

I reckon I psychologically shy away from the PMP sections of the long runs because I don't think I can hold that pace for so long. Perhaps I should spend some of my midweek runs at PMP for all of the run (5 - 6M runs) or a portion of the mid week MLR. Speed work only calls for fast running for small sections so far and I'm not spending any time at PMP to give me the confidence that I can hold that pace for longer distances.

I missed the target miles by 15M for the week and this was down to not covering any light lunchtime runs on the days of the races and sitting on my a**e on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Aimman wrote: »
    I reckon I psychologically shy away from the PMP sections of the long runs because I don't think I can hold that pace for so long. Perhaps I should spend some of my midweek runs at PMP for all of the run (5 - 6M runs) or a portion of the mid week MLR. Speed work only calls for fast running for small sections so far and I'm not spending any time at PMP to give me the confidence that I can hold that pace for longer distances.

Maybe try doing a progression run instead where you'd get most of the benefit but psychologicaly it might be easier to build up to the MP speed over several miles rather than straight away.
    Or alternatively do the MP miles slower at MP-5% or similar. This would give you the boost to do MP-3% the following session/day, up until you are doing MP for the allotted time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'm Glad you couldn't get up to 8 min/miles on sunday as my legs would not have been fit for it.

How did you get your BF measured this time? I see it is quite a bit different from the initial weeks..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What did you name the fish?

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    Maybe try doing a progression run instead where you'd get most of the benefit but psychologicaly it might be easier to build up to the MP speed over several miles rather than straight away.
    Or alternatively do the MP miles slower at MP-5% or similar. This would give you the boost to do MP-3% the following session/day, up until you are doing MP for the allotted time.

Cheers, thats not a bad idea. I know early last year, I was heading out for 5M lunchtime runs @ 8:00 pace and it wasn't a bother to me. I', sure I can do it, I'm just NOT doing it. I think I'd give the MP-5% for the long runs alright and bring up the pace each time that run comes around. ;)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    I'm Glad you couldn't get up to 8 min/miles on sunday as my legs would not have been fit for it.

How did you get your BF measured this time? I see it is quite a bit different from the initial weeks..

Actually I was well up for it, I didn't want to mention that you were holding me back :p, lol. Well you had a tough session the day before and planning another one today.

I used the next profile setting below the one I had before. Was upset to see that the little graphic of the man on the display had a little bulge around the middle on that setting.

I feel a bit better today though, Ray Foley is talking about his weight today and he's now heavier than me. :D
    What did you name the fish?

Delboy and Rodney, cos they were a couple of sharks! :cool:

Things starting to look up already..

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - 8M in 1:06 (Avg 8:20) Met Ultraman1 in Phoenix Park and he insisted on bringing me around the secluded parts to point out the dogging spots. Started off 1st 4 miles around the 8 min/mile mark and backed off the next 3 miles to 9 min/miles as we played Commandos running and jumping through the muddy trails. Finished off the last mile in 7:38. Was happy to be running at the PMP and it felt comfortable

Wednesday - 10M in 1:22 (avg 8:15)
    Met Menoscemo in Corkagh Park and I was planning on starting off doing 8's for a few miles. Pushed out to 10k in 48:50 (7:50 pace) eased off for the rest of the 10M. Found the first mile or so hard after the 10k, legs wanted to take a break, but got comfortable for the last couple of miles.

After Sunday, I was really happy that I did some marathon paced miles during these sessions and that I felt comfortable throughout. Puts back a bit of confidence into the training. Group Hug now :D:D:eek::D:D

As I said tonight, something fishy has happened between sunday and tonight.

Have you been raiding Claralara's medicine cabinet since she and digger flew off to Itlay?

menoscemo wrote: »
    As I said tonight, something fishy has happened between sunday and tonight.

Have you seen his belly. It was MIA when I saw him yesterday? :eek:

Have you seen his belly. It was MIA when I saw him yesterday? :eek:

Now that you mention it, it was there on sunday and gone tonight :eek:

What the hell happened on sunday night :confused:

• Advertisement

The JML tummy tuck corset came in handy so.

Thursday - 5M lunchtime recovery run

Friday - 10.2M early run into work . Feet up after 5 o'clock to enjoy the real olympics now.

12|198:(|0||55|48.2|:o|
    11||||68|47|:(|
    10||||66|||
    09||||67|||
    08||||58|||
    07||||70|||
    06||||65-69|||
    05||||70|||
    04||||60-64|||
    03||||68|||
    02||||55-57|||
    01||||43|||
    00||||28|||

Opps, found dust on the log, need to catch up

Saturday 4th - Busy day, no chance of running

Sunday 5th - 15M Nice out and back to Heuston Station

Monday - Wednesday: No running. Ended up camping with UM1 with all the intention of doing some miles, but between long cooked dinners and many cans of Karpakie beer, it was agreed to take full advantage of the break.

Thursday - Tried to salvage the speed session I missed earlier in the week. Plan was for 10M with 5M at HMP. Warmed up 2M @ 8:30 then took it up to 7:30 but by mile 2, the pace was slipping a bit. Held on to keep a MP average of 8 min miles and dragged it out to 6M. So 10M with 6 @ PMP, not total disaster

Friday - Met up with Meno for 6M in the afternoon heat. Planned to go back out in the evening to do some more miles, but a double combo of broken fridge freezer and cooker put paid to that.

Saturday - Plan was for 20M LSR. Met up with The Boy Wonder who had done 6M of his training already and we tipped along at 9min miles for the first 6M before looping back to the car to meet Macinalli. Covered another 7M before the Boy Wonder wrapped up his training. I planned to do another lap of the Park with Macinalli to round up to 20M but at mile 16 I was feeling a bit suspect and told him to head on. Not too long after, the tummy was bubbling and I felt like I needed the toilet badly. Not sure if it was the heat, the Gel I took at 13M at the car or possible dodgy chicken the night before (see the bit about the broken fridge and cooker). had an uncomfortable shuffle back towards the car rounding up today's session to 17M

Sunday - Pacing Midlands Half Marathon. Had the job of pacing 2 hours with Digger and despite the odd rain shower, set off with everyone in good spirits. By mile 1 on the Markers, the Garmin said 1.1M and we thought that the course would be out by 0,1M but we would be able to factor that into the pace. At mile marker 2, the Garmins said 2.2M. Regardless of how many decades of the rosary we said, at Mile Marker 3 we were just under 3.3M and became obvious that whatever device was used to measure the route, it was not calibrated correctly and was measuring every mile at 1.1M. We had hoped that it would all snap back into position at some time, but the extra distance was continuously growing with each mile. We needed Carol Vorderman with a slide rule to work out what pace we should be going to get to the finish line at 2:00. The course distance was 14.3M which would mean running the whole thing at 8:23 pace (1:50 half marathon) but anyone that could run a 1:50 race had headed out with the 1:50 pacers. At some point we realised there was no solution to this because if we were to maintain a 9:09 pace, we would be coming in at 2:11 and to try to speed up and make the 2:00 target would mean burning off anyone with us. The measuring was a complete disaster and although the RD did apologise repeatedly about the distance, It would have taken a small amount to time for someone to even cycle the route with a Garmin to double check the distance and markers. Frustrating 14.3M for the day. Rant Over.

Missed this weeks miles by lots because of the break at the start of the week and some of the other sessions left a bit short.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

10||||66|||
    09||||67|||
    08||||58|||
    07||||70|||
    06||||65-69|||
    05||||70|||
    04||||60-64|||
    03||||68|||
    02||||55-57|||
    01||||43|||
    00||||28|||

Opps, found dust on the log, need to catch up

Saturday 4th - Busy day, no chance of running

Sunday 5th - 15M Nice out and back to Heuston Station

Monday - Wednesday: No running. Ended up camping with UM1 with all the intention of doing some miles, but between long cooked dinners and many cans of Karpakie beer, it was agreed to take full advantage of the break.

Thursday - Tried to salvage the speed session I missed earlier in the week. Plan was for 10M with 5M at HMP. Warmed up 2M @ 8:30 then took it up to 7:30 but by mile 2, the pace was slipping a bit. Held on to keep a MP average of 8 min miles and dragged it out to 6M. So 10M with 6 @ PMP, not total disaster

Friday - Met up with Meno for 6M in the afternoon heat. Planned to go back out in the evening to do some more miles, but a double combo of broken fridge freezer and cooker put paid to that.

Saturday - Plan was for 20M LSR. Met up with The Boy Wonder who had done 6M of his training already and we tipped along at 9min miles for the first 6M before looping back to the car to meet Macinalli. Covered another 7M before the Boy Wonder wrapped up his training. I planned to do another lap of the Park with Macinalli to round up to 20M but at mile 16 I was feeling a bit suspect and told him to head on. Not too long after, the tummy was bubbling and I felt like I needed the toilet badly. Not sure if it was the heat, the Gel I took at 13M at the car or possible dodgy chicken the night before (see the bit about the broken fridge and cooker). had an uncomfortable shuffle back towards the car rounding up today's session to 17M

Sunday - Pacing Midlands Half Marathon. Had the job of pacing 2 hours with Digger and despite the odd rain shower, set off with everyone in good spirits. By mile 1 on the Markers, the Garmin said 1.1M and we thought that the course would be out by 0,1M but we would be able to factor that into the pace. At mile marker 2, the Garmins said 2.2M. Regardless of how many decades of the rosary we said, at Mile Marker 3 we were just under 3.3M and became obvious that whatever device was used to measure the route, it was not calibrated correctly and was measuring every mile at 1.1M. We had hoped that it would all snap back into position at some time, but the extra distance was continuously growing with each mile. We needed Carol Vorderman with a slide rule to work out what pace we should be going to get to the finish line at 2:00. The course distance was 14.3M which would mean running the whole thing at 8:23 pace (1:50 half marathon) but anyone that could run a 1:50 race had headed out with the 1:50 pacers. At some point we realised there was no solution to this because if we were to maintain a 9:09 pace, we would be coming in at 2:11 and to try to speed up and make the 2:00 target would mean burning off anyone with us. The measuring was a complete disaster and although the RD did apologise repeatedly about the distance, It would have taken a small amount to time for someone to even cycle the route with a Garmin to double check the distance and markers. Frustrating 14.3M for the day. Rant Over.

Missed this weeks miles by lots because of the break at the start of the week and some of the other sessions left a bit short.

So whats your target for Dublin?

So whats your target for Dublin?

At the moment I'm targeting 3:30, like last year. It's a big chunk off my PB (14 mins) but I've cut back on all the mad ultra stuff when the training started in the hope of having fresher legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jonny99

Jeez, I leave ye to pace on yere own and this is what happens?:rolleyes:
    Must have been a killer to explain to the pacees, hope they were understanding!

Good to see the programme going well,you'll be tapering before you know it,this is probably the hardest part.

(And of course it gives me a chance to overtake on the marathon count):D

jonny99 wrote: »

(And of course it gives me a chance to overtake on the marathon count):D

Does that mean you're heading to Salthill on Saturday? ;)

Does that mean you're heading to Salthill on Saturday? ;)

Yep,think I might do the course twice.

jonny99 wrote: »
    Yep,think I might do the course twice.

You have to take a break inbetween otherwise it only counts as on marathon

You have to take a break inbetween otherwise it only counts as on marathon

True. 2 months sounds about right:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

YOu still running laps of Salthill Eamo?

10||||66|40|:(|
    09||||67|41|:(|
    08||||58|||
    07||||70|||
    06||||65-69|||
    05||||70|||
    04||||60-64|||
    03||||68|||
    02||||55-57|||
    01||||43|||
    00||||28|||

Just managed to catch my log before it fell off the end of the forum table, better try to keep up to date a bit more.

Running has been a bit erratic the last couple of weeks. Getting the long runs in and some speed work but the mid week medium long runs are suffering from a busy schedule which should be sorted now.

Main Points from the two weeks

Tuesday 14th - 8M
    Thursday 16th - Did my 2nd bit for science like a lab rat on a hamster wheel and got a free VO2 test done. Have two pages of readouts which confirms I'm a ****** ******* slow ***** :rolleyes:

Friday 17th 4M

Saturday 18th - Salthill Marathon. Plan was for 6 on Saturday and 20 on Sunday, but with the pacing gigs coming up, I thought I'd lump the two together. Quite a hot day in Salthill. Was tipping away nice and handy for sub 4 with plenty of reserve, but with the hot weather and lack of gels, I eased off around 18 miles. Was drinking too much water on the day too, but was hard to gauge in the heat. Got so fed up drinking water that I got a bottle of Lucozade Energy from Pat O'Keeffe just to taste something different and felt like a champagne bottle ready to pop during the last 6 miles. Kept it handy to come in comfortably at 4:15.

Monday 20th - 4M Recovery
    Tuesday Lunchtime 21st - 5M at lunchtime. I was very happy about this one, mainly because I decided to head out at 8 min miles and kept it under this pace for the duration. Probably doesn't sound like much, but was a good boost to myself to keep the pace up by myself. It wasn't difficult, but I've been in a habit of running slow by myself and only running a bit quicker with others. (Mind you, my last mile was in 7:40 because I had a dirty great storm cloud chasing me and I just got back to the office as the heavens opened)

Tuesday Evening - Met up with Ultraman1 for a recce of the 10M route in the park. Pace was averaging around 9min miles comfortably. Still a bit in the tank during the last mile, let the legs loose to finish last mile in 7:50

Wednseday - 10k around a stormy and blustery Sligo Town. Didn't get a chance to do any recce of the route, but had the 'pleasure' of running the old Dublin road with it's neverending climb from the town up to the retail park.

Saturday - Plan was 16M with 12 @ PMP, but I signed up for the Race Series 10M in the park. Left the car in the West County hotel and ran the 3M to the start line. In the race, ran the first mile in 7:30 comfortably and of course had the urge to speed up to put time in the bank, but resisted temptation and kept the pace between 7:45 - 8:10. Slumped a couple of times, but quickly regained the pace. mile 9 was the disaster @ 8:35 recovering from the hills but put the foot down for the last mile and made up the difference to come in at 1:20 with avg pace of 7:58. The run was good and I could have kept up pace for a bit longer, but once I passed the finish line and had a bit of a chat with people, the fire went out and just took it handy back to the car to make up the 16 miles. I should have had the foresight to sign up for the Longford Half instead and have a better chance at 13.1M @ PMP.

Plan for this week:
    • Not in work this week, so I'm determined to make target miles which will include the Dingle marathon pacing.
    • Get batteries for my weighing scales to keep the table up to date
    • Get battery for the HRM. My resting HR is back down to 40-44 bmp. I feel I'm running more efficiently so it would be a good idea to keep an eye on my HR.

Oh, had an interesting chat about my breathing technique with the guy analysing my VO2, so changing it a bit. Think I've been running to suit my breathing rate, not the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Good to catch up after the race on Saturday Aimman. Good luck with the pacing in Dingle. Your MAD :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Thursday 16th - Did my 2nd bit for science like a lab rat on a hamster wheel and got a free VO2 test done. Have two pages of readouts which confirms I'm a ****** ******* slow ***** :rolleyes:
    Hey Aimman, any chance you have an electronic version of the report?
    I'd be very interested in viewing it out of curiosity if you did.
    Did they do a LT test on you also??
    Saturday 18th - Salthill Marathon. Plan was for 6 on Saturday and 20 on Sunday, but with the pacing gigs coming up, I thought I'd lump the two together. Quite a hot day in Salthill. Was tipping away nice and handy for sub 4 with plenty of reserve, but with the hot weather and lack of gels, I eased off around 18 miles. Was drinking too much water on the day too, but was hard to gauge in the heat. Got so fed up drinking water that I got a bottle of Lucozade Energy from Pat O'Keeffe just to taste something different and felt like a champagne bottle ready to pop during the last 6 miles. Kept it handy to come in comfortably at 4:15.

I'm sure this is nothing new to you but a flavoured salt tablet would probably have done the trick here. Your remaining body salts were probably being diluted further with the on-take of plain water. The flavour to the Nuun tablets would be refreshing in comparison to the plain water also. I recommend citrus/lemon&lime but stay away from the Cola flavour!

See ya in Dingle!

Hey Aimman, any chance you have an electronic version of the report?
    I'd be very interested in viewing it out of curiosity if you did.
    Did they do a LT test on you also??

I'll scan it when I'm back in work, so I'll pass it onto you. No LT test though, just HRM and respiratory analyser thingy, but the HR is not on the report.

I'm sure this is nothing new to you but a flavoured salt tablet would probably have done the trick here. Your remaining body salts were probably being diluted further with the on-take of plain water. The flavour to the Nuun tablets would be refreshing in comparison to the plain water also. I recommend citrus/lemon&lime but stay away from the Cola flavour!

See ya in Dingle!

Yeah, I was a bit under prepared for the run. I wasnt going out to race it, just a bit of a time test thingy to see how I was managing at the latter end of a long run. I nabbed a few bottles of water and a recovery drink the day before, but forgot to pick up some nuun (I like the banana flavour). I'd normally have the likes of Aldi sports drink or Red Bull stuff in the car just for something to taste if the buds got bored. I wasn't expecting the day to be so hot.

Monday - 10k with UM1 like the grand old duke of york (was he the one playing strip pool with the 'entertainment' recently in Vegas????) Up and down the hills of Ballyer and Chapelizoard

Tuesday - 8.6M More hills, different County ( I think) with UM1, charging up the hills of St. Catherine's park, free falling down Captains Hill and then up some more. Fingers crossed, it will help for Dingle on Saturday

Picked up a 'marathon' kit from Cycle Superstore on Greenhills road for €10 with more gels and drinks then you can shake a stick at.

On the good news side, I got the battery for the HRM. Task One complete :-)

Wednesday - 6.1M Recovery. Didn't look at pace at all for this run, just watched the HR to keep it around 76%. Was a bit disappointed to find out the average pace for the run was 10:08 for 76%

Thursday - 5M very easy. Just tipping along for Dingle Pacing. Ran the 5M at average of 9:30 pace. Was surprised to get up to 8:40 pace at one point and HR was only at 76% i.e. recovery. I suppose it just depends on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Have fun in Fungiland, bring a bucket of ice water.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Best of luck in Dingle Eamon.... Enjoy!!

• Advertisement

10||||66|40|:(|
    09||||67|41|:(|
    08||||58|56.5|:D|
    07||||70|||
    06||||65-69|||
    05||||70|||
    04||||60-64|||
    03||||68|||
    02||||55-57|||
    01||||43|||
    00||||28|||

Still haven't got the batteries for the scales yet

Friday - 4M easy

Saturday - Dingle Marathon Pacing. Instructions were to come in at 4:14:30, banking 4-5 seconds per mile for the first 20M, then slower for the hill around mile 21 for a couple of miles and back to Marathon pace for the last 3 miles. Slight drift between garmin and mile markers after 4 miles, but nothing major, just has to speed up a little more gradually over the first half to get the time on the markers, not the Garmin. Pacing felt good throughout, but strong head winds and hills around 7M, 11M and just after the halfway put a bit of pressure on some of the pacees. I was glad to reach the top of the hill at mile 23 because there was a great temptation to walk a little bit of it.
    Chip Time for the Finish - 4:14:30

Great buzz around Dingle for the whole day and got to see TBubendorfer and Mithril finish the Ultra.

Sunday - Rest day from all the dancing ... eh running the day before

Monday - 5.2M easy sporting the new Dingle top.

Advertisement