Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Tuesday - 9M jaunt around Lucan / Clondalkin with Ultraman in 1:23 (9:15 pace)

Wednesday - missed out on last week's speed work because of Dingle, so scheduled 6 x 800m with 400m jog in between, with 1M for both warm up and cool down

Splits (Time / Pace / Avg HR) went

00:03:17 06:36 152 bpm
    00:03:21 06:43 187 bpm
    00:03:28 06:59 183 bpm
    00:03:28 06:58 187 bpm
    00:03:30 07:02 186 bpm
    00:03:35 07:13 173 bpm

Sorry about format, cut and pace was weird. HR seems to have gone a bit high, unless my max HR is higher then I thought :rolleyes:, not sure if the different breathing style was interrupting it.

The pace was getting progressively slower with each interval, but comparing it to the same session this time last year, the times/pace is quicker now and I felt more comfortable running them (not saying I could have pushed them much harder), but I wasn't having any of those naughty thoughts about cutting the session short or wishing I had done something different.

Thursday - 5M @ Lunchtime @ 9:11 pace

Friday - Met Menoscemo in Tymon park for handy 7 miles @ 8:35 pace

Taking it easy for the rest of the day and relax for the Firhouse 10k in the morning.

Saturday - Firhouse 10k. On the training was a LT 12M with 7@ HMP, so took the opportunity to use the 10k race for the speedy part.

Warmed up 2.3M then started the race, MEt up with AJCOT and RayCun along the way. Heat was starting to build up quickly, started out the race under 7:30 pace but got straight into the first hill on the 2nd mile and could feel the pace slowing off. Ironically, each year I do this race, I'm complaining about the headwind up this hill, this year I didn't notice a wind but had the sun straight in front, tried to stay close to the wall to keep in the shade.

From the first hill, I kept my place and a gap was developing in front and behind. On the second time up the hill I was struggling until I realised at the Speaker Connolly I was quickly gaining on the guys in front and realised that people were starting to flag at a quicker rate then me. That gave me the kick to wake up and push on, overtaking people up the hill and a good few more along the road with the roundabouts. On the incline up to the finish line, only one of the guys I overtook managed to put on a burst to get past me and I tried to take him in the last 100m but I just didn't have enough of a sprint. Finished in 48:19 (7:46 pace) but I was hoping to come in a bit quicker.

Finished off the LT with 3.6M with AJCOT before helping to clear off the biscuits and muffins

Maybe the heat, maybe not but ended up winning a team prize with AJCOT and another guy from the team, so ended up getting my entry fee back biggrin.png

12 miles for the day.

Week Left|Weight|Weight Change|% Body Fat|Target Miles|Actual Miles|Good? Bad?
    17|199|0||54|34|:o|
    16|199|0||55|32|:o|
    15|198:o|-1||58|53|:)|
    14|199:mad:|+1||62|62.3|:D|
    13|198:rolleyes:|-1|20.9|63|48|:(|
    12|198:(|0||55|48.2|:o|
    11||||68|47|:(|
    10||||66|40|:(|
    09||||67|41|:(|
    08||||58|56.5|:D|
    07|197|-1|20.5|70|50.5|:rolleyes:|
    06||||65-69|||
    05||||70|||
    04||||60-64|||
    03||||68|||
    02||||55-57|||
    01||||43|||
    00||||28|||

Yes, I finally got the batteries for the scales, but they must be the wrong ones, cos I'm only a pound down since the last reading. Maybe I should have got the ones filled with helium.

Anyway

Sunday - RambleAid 5k with Ultraman1 this morning in Lucan. Legs not quite recovered from the 10k but not really a solid excuse, more or less ran at the same pace as Saturday's 10k and a warm up and an extra loop cool down.

Monday - 4.1M recovery in the rain @ 9:36 pace. Avg HR was 73%, so comfortably in the recovery zone.

Didn't make the miles last week, but with Dingle last week and Sligo next week, I think I have the long runs covered at the moment. Had the silly notion of doing the Tymon 5k next Sunday and the Rathfarnham 5k the week after, but I'm going to skip them both and head to Charleville for the Half instead to see how my HM time is now before finalising anything for Dublin.

Tuesday - 9M VO2 with 5 x 600m with 300m jog in between

Met up with Menoscemo in Tymon and covered 5.5M in 48mins (8:47 pace)
    Set up the watch for the intervals and Meno headed off to finish his run. During the first interval, I bumped into my Sister out fopr a walk in the park (how inconsiderate to interrupt my training with her ramble :rolleyes:) and reset the watch again to start from scratch.

Intervals went
    1 6:53
    2 6:53
    3 6:55
    4 7:02
    5 6:43

Fast bits were comfortable enough as far as 5k pace goes. I probably could have gone a tweak faster

Finished up the day covering 8.5M

• Advertisement

Wednesday - Plan was 14M MLR, broke it up into 13.1M running and 1M cool down jog.

Today was one of those days that reminded me why I run. I wasn't in the mood for a run, would have been happy to just skip it. When I got to the park I was content to just knock out a half hearted ramble and cut the milage.

On the way out of the park, I headed along the quays to the O2 and within half a mile, my running felt good, breathing was good and I was generally tipping along between 8:00 and 8:30 pace and enjoying myself. Took the road out towards Sandymount and came along the canal to Inchicore passing all the other joggers on the canal walk.

All the time, I felt I had a comfortable running form. I made a point of regularly tucking in my elbows because from photos of me running, it looks like a cross between the Lambert Walk and Granny Style Line Dancing. It felt better with elbows in. There was no let up during the run. I didn't feel like flagging or tiring and no problem picking up the pace when I felt like it. Carried through to the half marathon point in sub 1:48, then cooled down for 1 mile. Felt like a bigger bonus doing it without any water, but the again, it was a bit cooler then usual tonight.

Thursday - Feet Up

Friday - handy 3M in 27 mins, just to loosen the legs for tomorrow's pacing in Sligo.

Week Left|Weight|Weight Change|% Body Fat|Target Miles|Actual Miles|Good? Bad?
    17|199|0||54|34|:o|
    16|199|0||55|32|:o|
    15|198|-1||58|53|:)|
    14|199|+1||62|62.3|:D|
    13|198|-1|20.9|63|48|:(|
    12|198|0||55|48.2|:o|
    11||||68|47|:(|
    10||||66|40|:(|
    09||||67|41|:(|
    08||||58|56.5|:D|
    07|197|-1|20.5|70|50.5|:rolleyes:|
    06|195|-2|20.2|65-69|62.5|;)|
    05||||70|||
    04||||60-64|||
    03||||68|||
    02||||55-57|||
    01||||43|||
    00||||28|||

Saturday 15th - Sligo Marathon – 4:15
    Pacing duties for 4:15 - Small gathering for this race, 120 people, but a very good turnout from the 100 marathon club.
    In terms of course profile, I would say this marathon is tougher then Dingle to race. Despite the few hills in Dingle, once they are done, you get some rest period on the flat to recover and catch up on the pace. In Sligo, it seems to be a series of small hills, one after the other, so if you are racing it, you’ll end up with an erratic pace, constantly slowing on the hills and only having a short burst to recover the pace before hitting the next hill. By the time we got to the halfway point, we started to overtake a lot of people who were starting to suffer from the additional effort required for the hills. I think if you look into the history books, you’ll find that W. B. Yeats created the word ‘Undulating’. Lack of mile markers made it difficult to pace sufficiently as there was only discreet markings on the road every 5k which could be easily missed. Essential to have more frequent markers, particularly according to my Garmin, I lost signal a few times in some of the dense forest sections and threw out the pacing by Garmin. Because the route is a popular one for cycle races too, there are a lot of additional direction arrows on the road that are not part of the marathon and too easy to take the wrong one as some people had done.

Lovely scenic marathon to pace, but not a route I’d set out for a PB, particularly with the big climb around the 35km mark. Absolutely no crowd support along the way, so even quieter then Longford. One other gripe I would have about the day is that because the half marathon started 45mins before marathon, practically all of the half marathon runners were finished and gone home before even the marathon winner crossed the line and the car park was a ghost town by the time we finished. Still, there is room for improvement, so hopefully, all the issued will be passed back to the Race Director to work on for next year.

Sunday 16th – 6.5M in 58 mins (8:55 pace)
    Met up with Anto for hill session which turned into a flatter run around the War Memorial Park and Phoenix Park. Along the way, Anto was defending my honour, Felt like Whitney in the Bodyguard. Legs felt good along the way, no tiredness from the day before.

Monday Lunchtime - 5M at recovery pace.
    Nice handy one today. 5M in 47:19 (9:32 pace) Avg HR 74%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Aimman wrote: »
    easy to take the wrong one as some people had done.

Sunday 16th – 6.5M in 58 mins (8:55 pace)
    Met up with Anto for hill session which turned into a flatter run around the War Memorial Park and Phoenix Park. Along the way, Anto was defending my honour, Felt like Whitney in the Bodyguard. Legs felt good along the way, no tiredness from the day before.

:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Tuesday - Plan was for 10M VO2 with 6 x 1000m
    Met up with Menoscemo and Digger in Marley and warmed up 4.2M before the dreaded 6 loops around the inner 1k circuit.

Performance wasn't great for the speed work, but I'm not putting it down to the weekend's running, more likely just an off day and hoping the result in Charleville has a better outcome. All the recent batch of intervals were run using the Garmin training feature on the watch set up with rest sections by jogging half the distance of the faster section but because the distance was up to 1k, I opted for resting for 50% of the time taken for the speed session (roughly 2 mins)

Interval time - pace - %HR went
    1 4:21 - 6:55 - 92%
    2 4:35 - 7:16 - 83%
    3 4:36 - 7:18 - 85%
    4 4:31 - 7:11 - 85%
    5 4:41 - 7:29 - 83%
    6 4:35 - 7:16 - 83%

1st interval would have the expected %HR for the session, but the other 5 reps have a much lower heart rate. Does that mean I wasn't trying hard enough for the other intervals? Not sure if I'm being too soft and not forcing myself to try harder.

Finished off with 2 miles off cool down.

Total for the day, 10.3M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Very quiet here lately;) Wondering how the training is going. You keeping it a secret and going to blitz all in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Best of luck on Monday Aimman. You'll have a super run out there.

So what kind of manouvere have you lined up for crossing the finish line? Or will you deliver the tried and trusted leap?!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Don't beat my pb! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

good luck on monday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Don't beat my pb! :P

Saw Aimmo at the Expo today, he mentioned his goal was an RQPB ;):D

Cheers everyone, looking forward to the race.

Training got a bit haphazard over the last few weeks, missing out on some of the key long runs with PMP pace. Covered all the other speed training, some good results, some not quite hitting the mark, so I've no sure thing tactic for tomorrow.

Very impressed with the pacer flags at the Expo and I thought were was a decent amount of goodies in the bag.

I suppose its not too late for last minute log entry

Sunday Gentle final slow 3M run this morning, putting the feet up for the rest of the day.

PS. Might at least have to have a crack at RQ's PB so that the last month's alcohol ban will be all the more worthwhile with my first drink in McGrattans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Aimman wrote: »

last month's alcohol ban will be all the more worthwhile with my first drink in McGrattans
    hope Ally was using 0% vanilla /almond essense ,

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Best of luck Eamon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Good Luck 2 morrow Eamon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Best of luck Eamon, nail that 3:30!

Dublin Marathon 2012

This race had no guarantees this morning. The training was Ying and Yang. Although I managed to drop the Ultra stuff in June after the two marathons in one day I missed some of the LSRs with miles at PMP through tummy bugs and a chest infection in the closing part of training, however I did honour the rest of all the speed sessions. Overall I was lacking distance at speed which also contributes to building mental confidence for the difficult parts. Regardless, I was optimistic coming up to the day. One thing I did miss this time around is the tightness in the legs in the days coming to the race. Not like crampy tightness, but the feeling that my legs were like strong elastic bands. As soon as I’d stretch them, they’d feel like they’d quickly snap back ready for the next stride. Always gave me a feeling that the legs were ready

Disclaimer: I’m not building up a list of excuses here, just outlining the form before the race. I always leave the excuses for the end of the report
    :D

Morning:
    After two good night’s sleep, I had a tasty breakfast of bacon and eggs with the intention of kick-starting the carbs burning just before the race started (after a chat with Meno about pre race nutrition techniques.)
    Fast forward to the start line where 1 took a gel and High Five 2:1 Drink to wash it down just before the start. Seen the 3:45 pacers poised at the start of wave two like the hare waiting to be released in from of the hungry greyhounds. The 3:30 pacers were too far in front and would have been a battle to get near them. Met Pistol, RAL3 and some of the 100 Marathon Club gang waiting for the gun.

Unlike last year, I found it easy to get up to 8 min miles in the first mile because the group was not that densely packed. I could always keep an eye on the flags in front but in reality, because they got a head start crossing the line and speeding up before me, it might be too much work to catch up with them, but if all goes well over the first half, I might be gradually gaining on them.
    First half was going great. I felt like I was on form, the pace was coming easy and comfortable. Some miles were run a little hot (Mile 8 and 9 were 7:45) but generally I was running 8’s. Coming up the 12M mark the pace was waning a little but I knew this was a long drag through Crumlin before the halfway point.
    Coming through Walkinstown to Terenure is always a difficult patch of the course for me, being the home ground where the Parents and Sisters stand to cheer me on, but grabbing another 2:1 drink from my dad, I was trying to kick start the legs back to race pace, but it wasn’t happening. Miles started to drift into the high 8’s and then into the 9’s. At mile 23 I recorded a 9:22. Although the 3:30 goal was long gone, I was still determined to run as best I could. No little walkie breaks, no convincing myself that I just needed to take a pit stop just for a chance to rest the legs. Despite slowing, I felt good running through Clonskeagh and up the Roebuck Hill but by the time I crossed the Montrose Flyover, I suddenly became conscious of the possibility of the 3:45 pacers catching me within the next 4 miles. Last year, they sailed past at the RDS. I knew there was a delay in them leaving in the 2nd wave, but telling that to my brain was like trying to work out one of those math’s questions where a car leaves Dublin at 9am heading to Galway and a train leaves Cork at 10am heading to Longford. If theirs paths intercept in Athlone and the car is travelling at 60mph, what is the price of a cup of coffee of the train????
    Every time I came to a crowd of spectators, I kept thinking I could head a stampede of people behind me as the crowd cheered. I kept looking back expecting to see the entourage of pacees whizz past me, despite roughly knowing that my average race pace was not slow enough for them to catch me.
    Got cheers from Cheguetti and Mr Slow at the side line around the 24M mark where I had ended up running at a sauntering pace to just finish and get it over with. I also seen The Boy Wonder cheering on people, wearing his medal and looking very relaxed so I know he had come in at a good time, but didn’t realise until after that he ran a 3:12! :eek:

Now, from early on, the mile markers were coming in 0.2M after my Garmin despite my efforts to hug the race line on corners. When the Garmin hit the 25M mark I realised that even though I’d taken my eye off the ball to just finish, there was a very slim chance of still getting a PB if I could get back to 8 min miles for the last 1.4M. That was enough for me, the brain went into overdrive and I ended up ignoring everything around me, just to at least make the race worthwhile. I grabbed a sugar coated Jelly off a spectator and guzzled it. The legs were moving again and taking the corner around by the Dental Hospital to encompass Trinity I was back in the zone. Some guy shouted at me that there was just 800m to go. I thought I’d save my energy rather than shouting at him ‘My B****ks It is!’ The Garmin was at the 8:00 pace again but panic was setting in. Half the Brain was telling me that if I keep going, I’ll get the PB, The darker side was telling me that I could be doing all this work and probably miscalculated and might miss the PB and it would have been all for nothing. Meanwhile, I had Scotty in the Engine Room telling me that She canna take any more captain, she’s gonna blow. Barely spotted Ally out of the corner of my eye coming up Naussa Street and when I finally seen the finish line, my eyes decided to do that perspective trick they do in Horror movies, where the corridor suddenly draws out longer, making it further to run for safety. I couldn’t tell you if I was passing people on the final straight or if the entire Swedish Female Volleyball team were in their rig out cheering at the finish line, All I could see was the little timing mat on the ground that would officially put a stop to the race. As I passed over it, my watch said 3:43:49 although I got the official time later of 3:43:51. And no big jump over the finish line this time. Knowing my luck, I’d have jumped too high for the sensor to pick up my chip and the clock would keep going.

Needless to say, I’m delighted with the PB but more so, I got a great mental boost in the last mile and a half. Even though the pace slipped after half way, I kept it going as best I could and didn’t stop once during the race, but to put the foot down and go for broke taking it to the wire was one of the toughest things I had to do and very happy that it worked out in the end.

I have the Double Marathon in SixmileBridge in two weeks, so I’ll see this as a challenging LSR before the taper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Great run eamonn, might be out of the one in the bridge, :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done Eamonn and as always a great and entertaining race report!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

well done eammon,,,,smackdown in 17 days?

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Great run eamonn, might be out of the one in the bridge, :-(
    Ahwh, Why Frank? :(
    jcsmum wrote: »
    Well done Eamonn and as always a great and entertaining race report!!! :D
    Cheers. Didn't realise it was so long till I cut and pasted it, by then I didn't have the time to do the Reader's Digest Version. Looking forward to reading your report.
    ultraman1 wrote: »
    well done eammon,,,,smackdown in 17 days?
    You Bet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Congratulations on a shiny new PB. Always nice to run faster than you ever have in your whole life:D
    Well done on keeping up the speedwork. It obviously paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Congrats on your PB:D

And I really enjoyed your report and I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has Scotty in the engine room in the finishing stages of a race;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Great report and congrats on the PB. Spotted you in McGrattans but when i went to say hi and i had missed you. see you next time. Double in 2 weeks, good luck with that, ye mad thing!!;)

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote: »
    Spotted you in McGrattans but when i went to say hi and i had missed you. see you next time. Double in 2 weeks, good luck with that, ye mad thing!!;)

It was getting quite hectic in there on Monday. Thought the Double was next weekend, but I got it wrong, There's only a marathon in Offaly this Saturday to get through, so I have another week to get ready for the double.

Thursday - Enough resting and eating like food is going out of fashion, gentle 5M to get back into it

Saturday - Very comfortable 10M at decent post marathon pace

Sunday Another 10M this morning before breakfast taking in lots of hills with no bother. Finished with a fast last mile getting back for brekkie.

Finishing this week with 51M. Off to Cork for a week's work, have to work out some routes around the Douglas Area.

Advertisement