Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Monday - Lovely 10k run out to Passage West @ 8:45 pace

Tuesday - 4M easy run
    Wednesday - 3M Easy run

Saturday - Killeigh Marathon, Offaly - Six loops around the town. Lots of hills and more exertion on the body than expected. Compressed Recovery into six days now for SixMileBridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Aimman wrote: »
    Tuesday - 4M easy run
    Wednesday - 3M Easy run

Saturday - Killeigh Marathon, Offaly - Six loops around the town. Lots of hills and more exertion on the body than expected. Compressed Recovery into six days now for SixMileBridge.

And they slag me for my short race reports? :rolleyes::)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Which run are you doing in Sixmilebridge?

jcsmum wrote: »
    And they slag me for my short race reports? :rolleyes::)
    Not quite a race for reporting on, just an LSR for Sunday ;)
    Which run are you doing in Sixmilebridge?

Going to have a crack at the double again, but I haven't done enough ultra training this year, so I'm expecting a slow painful slog around the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Going to have a crack at the double again, but I haven't done enough ultra training this year, so I'm expecting a slow painful slog around the town.

Best of luck on Sunday:)

Not to worry , I will likely be there behind you saving you from the humiliation ONCE AGAIN of coming last :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Looks like the Ultra operating system has been reinstalled!!

Enjoy the double on Sun! Hopefully you won't get dizzy with all those loops! Good luck and pass on my regards to the SMB crew!

Just checked your race report from last year...9:15:D

Will be well behind that .. HOpe you have as enjoyable a run as last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Just checked your race report from last year...9:15:D
    u better be quicker dan dat dis year,,,love and hate is on and i think frank and ken are apperin in it

• Advertisement

ultraman1 wrote: »
    u better be quicker dan dat dis year,,,love and hate is on and i think frank and ken are apperin in it

Hey! It was third place, don't knock it!! :p Love and Hate it great, new series certainly got off to a fast start.

Monday - Feck All, limbo transition between completing a marathon and taper for the next one. My excuse for sitting around in the hotel all evening.

Tuesday - Very early morning start in dark wet Cork - 3M, nearly knocked down by all the fire trucks rushing to put out the old Convent/Orphanage fine in SundaysWell, nearly late for work looking at the blaze.

Wednesday - More early morning running to prepare for Sunday, 5M in Cork. Think I did an extra 10M walking around the hospital all day. I'm starting to develop a Cork accent now bhoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Best of luck on Sunday Eamo!
    You'll be doing well to do your traditional leap across the finish line after 52.4 miles!

belcarra wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday Eamo!
    You'll be doing well to do your traditional leap across the finish line after 52.4 miles!

Well, if I have any energy left to leap up in the air, I'm hoping the legs will hold out for the landing otherwise I'll end up as one of those Epic Fail posters :-)

Thursday- 4M Last early morning run in Cork. I must be jinxed. After seeing the Fire Brigade rush over to the Convent blaze in SundayWell, I came back to the hotel to find two Fire Trucks outside with the lights flashing. No sign of any fire though. I think all my smelly running gear that accumulated over the week might have set off the fire sensors.

Friday 4M - Back in Dublin at last, much faster pace at lunchtime. The Cork air must have been slowing me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Best of luck on Sunday crazy dude :eek:

Decided for my sanity and yours, I wont be doing a long race report on this, as at some point, all the laps blend into one and not sure what happened when, but the main points are

• Approach for this one was 'Here for a good time, not a short time', so I just wanted to get the first 26M done and take it from there
    • Made up a nutrition band with key mileage points with what to eat/drink. It wasn't very scientifically balanced, but just made sure I wasn't forgetting to take a salt table, or leave it too long before I had protein drink etc. or overdose on Gels because I'd forget when I took the last one
    • I ran the whole of the race except for the 100m leg from the timing mat to the end of the car park on most of the laps, but I managed to run up that hill on each lap.
    • For the first time, I used one of those Tri - number belts which was ideal for the amount of layers that came off and went on during the race without messing with pins etc.
    • I covered the 39.3M quicker on Sunday then I did in Connemara this year
    • The total time for the double was quicker than the two races from the 'Two Marathons in One Day' challenge in June
    • It was definitely the worst weather I have run a race in. It was daunting seeing people pulled from the race because of the conditions and risk of hypothermia etc.
    • The Stewards did a great job again keeping people's spirits up
    • I was nowhere near last year's time, but had a ball of a time at all times. There were no 'Never Again' moments
    There was a great turnout for the race, despite the weather.

Anyway, back to the training again, have to get ready for Saturday's marathon.

Where and when for no 50?

Where and when for no 50?

I might hold off until the end of the year and have the Le Cheile Canal run as No. 50 on New Year's Eve.

I might hold off until the end of the year and have the Le Cheile Canal run as No. 50 on New Year's Eve.

A nice way to finish out the year! Good luck with No 48 at the weekend

Friday - 3M easy run before breakfast

Saturday - Marathon No. 48 in the Park. Great Turn out, over 50 people. Took is easy all the way around, wasn't worried about time today, until I came to the last mile and decided to catch up on the guy in front, then burst into a sprint near the end and pass him with 200m to go.

Monday - 3M just to ease back into it

Tuesday - 4M pre-breakfast run, easy again. I'll have to get the finger out and start bringing the pace back up before falling victim to Christmas Pudding and mince pies (is it too early to mention Christmas?)

Might take a trip out to Malahide on Saturday for the freebie 5k just as a reason to get the legs going again.

• Advertisement

IS that the new parkrun I heard someone mention?

Sure is...I hear he's a bit worried over his finishing sprint;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Took is easy all the way around, until I came to the last mile and decided to catch up on the guy in front, then burst into a sprint near the end and pass him with .0002m to go.
    otherwise known as "being Finned"....i have some experience of dat..

Ya, I was referring to you but only now do i see I'm in the other Ultra distance beast's home...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Sure is but with all the longer stuff Aimmo's been doing the 5k will be over before he has his leggings off :D;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Sure is but with all the longer stuff Aimmo's been doing the 5k will be over before he has his leggings off :D;)

Oh, I've got the wrong race so, I thought the K was 5Km as in 5,000 km.

As soon as the Marley one is up and running (excuse the pun) I'll be taking advantage of it until I finally get a decent PB.

I heard there wasn't much between you at the finish line, but then again, that was probably the cold weather. :D

Thursday - 4M minimal effort

Friday - 5.5M with Meno in the evening time

Saturday - 10k including the Malahide ParkRun 5k. Not ready for a PB just yet with the few marathons since Dublin, but managed to get my best 5k time for 2012. It's a start. Did a bit more after the race to bring the run up to 10k and found myself coming back around near the finish line after a while. Some woman was giving me encouragement saying I was nearly there and well done. She was mortified when I told her I was already finished. I then decided to change direction away from the finish line in case someone tried to give me the 'last place' token. Good event. Hassle free start up and finish. Looking forward to the Marley Park one opening up.

Monday - 5M @ 8:30 pace at lunchtime. Pace felt easy. Pulling the finger out to get back into running a bit quicker instead of just day dreaming. Although I've no goals left for 2012 except hitting the 50, I don't want to get into the habit of plodding along.

Tuesday - 7M

Saturday - Clonakilty Marathon 4:30 pacing
    This was definitely an experience. Started with Ultraman trying to get us all drunk the night before and the plan backfiring horrible wrong for him :P

The start of the race was a shambles. Between delays in getting runners from the town to the hotel, the delays in the baggage area and then the confusion at the start as the area was packed with full and half marathon runners which were starting at different times. Some marathoners were caught behind clusters of half marathoners standing about. Then a few minutes later, when the half was started, they all came crashing past us on narrow roads.

Because of the hills around the 12M and 10M mark, we had to bank a bit of time in the first 12M to accommodate people getting up the hills.

Some of the scenery was lovely, but might have looked better on a mild Summer's Day, but the overall race was definitely not for the faint hearted. A challenging one to pace given the profile and there was heartbreak for a couple of people who were hanging on with me at the end only to be met with a bi**h of a hill after 25 miles. Got to the finish line at 4:29:34.

I definitely can say I shed blood sweat and tears at this race, because I gave a blood sample to UCC research at the end, just before a good hard massage that hurt like hell.

No. 49 done, All going well, I'll have the Big 50 done on New Year's Eve.

• Advertisement

Wednesday - Enough time off, 3M @ 8:30 pace

Thursday - 5M @ 8:30 pace, but twisted my ankle coming off the kerb just before the end of the run. Still have movement in it, but hurts a bit when I twist it. Might be a good idea to rest it today and tomorrow before the 5k in Kilcock on Sunday.

Advertisement