Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Aimman wrote: »
    , but twisted my ankle. Might be a good idea to rest it today and tomorrow before the 5k in Kilcock on Sunday.

no excuses allowed b4 sundays final 5k showdown,,,im on the dry til then,,,,well maybe 2 lemoncellos or a few sherrys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

ultraman1 wrote: »
    no excuses allowed b4 sundays final 5k showdown,,,im on the dry til then,,,,well maybe 2 lemoncellos or a few sherrys

I'm soaking my foot in a bucket of Lemonchello. I reckon it will numb the pain for a while.

Dont worry, I'm saving the excuses for after the race anyway.

Well, I've no excuses. Took a bit of time off after Clonakilty and through Christmas to put my feet up, eat and drink lots and a good few late nights thrown into the mix. Thouroughly enjoyed the break but for the New Year, I might resemble Violet from Willy Wonka after she swelled up from eating the gum.

Managed to do a few miles each week, but nothing taxing.

16th Dec - Kilcock 5k Santa Dash. Ankle wasn't bothering me after the spill, but the legs were just suggish after Clonakilty. Felt in good form, but no speed in the legs. Needless to say, there was no PB on the day unless you are counting the number of Mince Pies and other cakes I put away after the race.

18th Dec 4M
    19th Dec 5M
    22nd Dec 5.5M
    26th Dec 6.5M
    28th Dec 5.5M
    Today - 3M

Ankle is fine most of the time, but pressing on certain spots is uncomfortable. Had hoped the sabbatical would have mended it fully.

Told you I was taking it easy. Anyway, I just have a small matter to attend to tomorrow and then I'll be doing a CTRL + ALT + DEL on the 2nd January to get back into proper shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AJAYC

Best of luck tomorrow, wicked way to end a year!

Early start this morning to head to Le Chéile club house to be ushered to the start line near Furey's Bar.

There was a 7M out and back section in the opposite direction along the canal as part of the Canal was closed off to restore the banks beyond Enfield. There were parts along this section that made the Bogtrotters Marsh look like the 18th Green just before the Ryder Cup starts. we reckoned that the nearer we got to Dublin, the better the conditions would get. rolleyes.png (Until I lost control running down a slippy mucky slope after crossing a road and looking like a flailing reject from Dancing on Ice) eek.png

As I barley accumulated 28 miles in the last 2 weeks, but gained the weight equivalent of a baby elephant over the same period, any notion of a PB or respectable finishing time was thrown out the window along with the turkey carcass and bad cracker jokes (actually, to be honest, I kept some of the jokes to use in people's logs in 2013)

Considering that the Dingle 50M and Mooathon passes the finish line half way and you loop back for the 2nd half, I think this is my first Point to Point marathon. It was all along the canal tow path with no opportunity to jump into a shop to buy supplies so it was a proper Bear Grills run with your own supplies, although we did get to leave a drink to collect at half way.

I stayed with Oisin458349 and a few others up to the 16M mark. After seeing his shoe disappear into the mud and watch him fish it out, I reckoned I'd take the last 10M handy seeing as all the slipping and sliding was putting a bit of pressure on the ankles and I was damned if I was getting an injury on this race.

In a lot of places, the footing was very dodgy and it was hit and miss about either falling into the canal or into the hedgerows. It got to the point though where I gave up on trying to side step the swamps and just charge through them. At points where it didn't make sense to run, I walked a bit and facebooked, or as Brian Ankers has now coined it, racebooking.cool.png

I was surprised at the amount of encouragement I got along the way from strollers and dog walkers. Seems like everybody along the canal route knew about the race. I'm indebted to a lovely woman between Enfield and Kilcock who lives in a house by a bridge who topped up my water bottle.

Despite running solo after 16 miles, I was delighted to eventually see a small procession of runners dotted along the canal in the distance with 2 miles to go. I put the foot down (very carefully...) and managed to overtake one of the runners ahead. I was gaining on a Le Chéile runner in the last mile, but didn't fancy the effort to gain a place but decided to savour the last mile of the year.

Back in the clubhouse, there was a most appreciated cup of soup, sambos and endless supply of biscuits to devour.

Since I got the 100 Marathon Club membership for Christmas, this was my first race ever as a club member.

Highlights of 2012

Miles Run....2078
    Racing Highlight........ Dublin Marathon PB 3:43
    Bonkers Idea Highlight......... Two Marathons in One Day 23rd June in Lexlip and Salthill
    Ultra Highlight......Eddie Murphy Ultra Double Marathon in baltic weather conditions
    Pacing Highlight........ Dingle Marathon, encouraging a newbie in surfer shorts and plimsolls in the last 2 miles to make 4:30 then standing at the side of the finish line with Runningcoach enjoying a can of Grafenwalder
    Crewing Highlight....... Accompanying Ultraman1 to Antebies to help him during his 48 hour race
    Crewing Lowlight........ Assisting Ultraman1 after he thought it was just a fart. eek.png
    Number of Marathons in 2012....... 20
    Overall Number of Marathons....... 50

That just about wraps up the log for 2012, lots of plans for 2013, but big thanks to all my friends who gave me support / encouragement / HTFU wake up calls etc.

Happy New Year to everybody and looking forward to seeing you all back on the road in 2013!!!! biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Crewing Lowlight........ Assisting Ultraman1 after he thought it was just a fart. eek.png
    Details please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

menoscemo wrote: »
    Anto looked like a French male prostitute when he turned up after the race, polo neck, beret, etc......

Buy him a drink and he'll give you all the details you want. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Brilliant year for you . Thanks for all the joy, reading your log, and trying to catch you , out on the roads...
    More please for 2013:D

What's up with all these new year resolutions and new logs? I had to plunge into the depths of the archive to find this. I better update it every 6 hours or I'll be ages looking for it.

Tuesday - UM1 overfed me and had to abandon any thoughts of a New Year's stretch.

Wednesday - First day back in work. Body can only handle so much shock, so rested the legs one more day

Thursday - 4M Lunchtime along the canal. Thought I'd be sick of the sight of a canal, but it appears not. Threw the 'Lock Up the Year' runners into the washing machine to see if I could bring them back to life. The have over 1000M on them, so it's not going to do any more damage. Have to keep my eye out for Asics sales.

Friday - 4M Lunchtime run again. Nothing too taxing to start off the new year. Definitely not anywhere like last year where I clocked up 150 miles in the first two weeks.

Training plan is geared towards the Connemarathon Ultra which I finally signed up for yesterday. Basically, its the last 14 weeks of the 18 week 55-70m plan which will have modified weekends for longer runs. Planning to do 3 marathons beforehand though.

Portumna WOI, Killeigh WOI and the 5 hour marker for Donadea 50k

• Advertisement

http://www.meathspringhalfmarathon.com/location.html
    #

jaysus those tee shirts are everywhere:D

Right, better do a bit more updating....

Saturday 5th, 10M handy pace

Monday 7th, 6M handy again

Tuesday 8th 7.4M @ 8:49 pace with Ultraman1 enjoying a few little hills here and there. Shared my Fish Pie with him, but at least it shielded the smell of his sweaty gear. :P

Thursday 3.3M Brisk leg stretcher around Cork City before the Portumna Marathon.

Saturday, Portumna Marathon. Started off slowly as an LSR run, but after hitting the halfway point and losing 5 minutes trying to use my numb fingers to fit my phone into the Arm Strap to use for music, I got a burst of energy and started to pass out a few people. Caught up with RunningCoach and his mate Ritchie for the 2nd last lap, but think their steroids kicked in soon after and they gradually took off for the last lap and I couldn't catch up in time. Finished in 4:15

Sunday- 7M Hills. Met up with the Le Cheile Group for a beginners hill session and ran up and down the trails of the Hellfire Club area. Legs felt very fresh and stayed with the head of the group for the run. Really enjoyable and great prep for Connemara. I'll definitely be back for more.

Tuesday Lunchtime 5M @ 7:53 pace (86% Avg HR) Comfortable faster pace but then again, was looking forward to finishing.

Evening 5M @ 10:08 pace
    . Would have been quicker, but I brought the dog with me which went mental at the thoughts of been out in to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

E, your log is all about the crazy! :D What a year 2012 was for you! Hope 2013 is as amazing and marathon filled.

Sorry , I thought you said 100 Miles...... Just thinking about this and wondering if you are giving it a lash this year or will you stick with targeting closer to 3.30, or clocking up more marathons? What is in store for Aiman this year??

Sorry , I thought you said 100 Miles...... Just thinking about this and wondering if you are giving it a lash this year or will you stick with targeting closer to 3.30, or clocking up more marathons? What is in store for Aiman this year??

Not doing the 100M this year, at least I haven't convinced myself to do it yet. Trying to persuade myself to do the 10 in 10 in July. I haven't had enough experience in the Uber Ultra Running, only managed a back to back a couple of times. I suppose I should have done the 4in4 or 5in5 last year to get a better idea of how I'd cope with a 10in10. I have Gerry Duffy's book, I might have to start reading it to see how he built up the endurance and willpower to do the 32in32. :eek:

Well 10x10 is still 100 :D
    So dont go changing your thread name anytime soon :D

jcsmum wrote: »
    E, your log is all about the crazy! :D What a year 2012 was for you! Hope 2013 is as amazing and marathon filled.

It was certainly an eventful year, I'll have to work a bit harder to top it :D

Wednesday - 5M at lunchtime @ 9:33 pace, 82% max? Think yesterday's faster run too a bit out of me

Thursday 13.7M @ 9:18 pace 80% Max with Meno. Soggy cold run. Was going well, taking in the climbs up Taney and Goatstown to Foster's Avenue. Left hammer was feeling tight for the last two miles and the pace had dropped off towards the finish. Didn't give me any trouble after I finished though. Had visions of needing someone to dig their elbow into the back of my leg to free it up. I noticed I don't have as much flexibility in it recently when I stretch. Maybe I should stretch more often. :confused:

I don't have much flexibility... Maybe I should stretch more often. :confused:
    strechin is overated,get ken to sort u out wit a few positions...

ultraman1 wrote: »
    strechin is overated,get ken to sort u out wit a few positions...

I think that's how the cramp started. :eek:

• Advertisement

Right, its that time where my log is on page double digits and needs some TLC

Saturday 19th 10M Group run with a few hills in St. Catherine's Park and discovered some back roads of Lexlip.

Monday 21st - 4M easy run at lunchtime

Tuesday 22nd - Lunchtime speed work. 8 x 400m along with warm up/down. Laps were not consistant but hoping it will improve with more regular speed stuff

Wednesday 23rd 9.7M ramble with Meno around Ballier and Clondalkin. Brough my new Tesco's Camel bac to try it for comfort. Will be handy in the Summer for long runs in the mountains without worrying about carrying bottles or looking out for shops.

Saturday 26th Kelleigh Marathon. Took this one handy, but brought the Camelbac to avoid all the stops at the car to pick up water etc. Limited the Gels to just one at halfway. I won the Mental Challenge competition halfway around the first loop which finally proves I am mentally challenged... eh no.... hang on... :confused::confused::confused:

Monday 28th Handy 5.1M Lunchtime run

Tuesday 28th Another 8 x 400 speed session with warm up and cool down, but for some reason, the 800m loop I was running on always seems to be into the strong gusts of wind.

Wednesday 11.3M re-enacting the Whitney Huston & Kevin Costner film. Running around Chaplizord, Ballyfermot and Clondalkin with me in tights and my Bodyguard Ultraman in his Buff. Although the only ham acting was my left hamstring acting up in the last few miles. Not sure what the story is with it, but it doesn't have as much flexability as it used to during a run and can't stretch it as as far as I used to. Anto said not to worry as it happens to a lot of guys and its not that big a deal. :rolleyes:

Thursday - 4.5M lunchtime run. Decided to run from Bluebell towards Newlands Cross but the headwind was very strong. Was relieved to turn around and run with the wind back to the office. Even more relieved to just have missed the almighty downpour of golf balls and torrential rain

Friday - 10M run with Meno around the posh places. MC Hammer needed a stretching again, but once it's done during a run, the problem seems to go away.

Saturday - 5.6M (W/U, 5k and C/D) Headed to Malahide to try and jump-start the legs but the legs were just not in competition mode. I feel like I started out well but the central governer was still in bed and settled into too comfortable a pace. The overall pace of the race wasn't that bad, but I could have done a lot better.

Sunday - 10.5M This was one of those days that stated off not keen on running, considering having a duvet day, then donning the gear and just going for it. Legs felt great along with everything else. Ran waded/skated/snorkled the tow-path from Lucan to Celbridge bringing back many muddy memories of the New Year's Eve marathon into a bit of a head wind. Was blessed when I just passed a side path where a large herd of ponies were just being brought out to walk along the Canal. A minute later and I'd have been wedged behind a mass of asses and not in a good way like some races I've run;) Trainers were four times heavier with muck and water by the time I got back onto Terra Firma. Had a great run back along the road and I was running a good pace with ease. It was that comfortable that it felt like I was running downhill with the wind at my back, until i realised I was running downhill with the wind at my back. :o

Mileage has finally come up to a more respectable level this week and no marathon to pad it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Friday - 10M run with Meno around the posh places. MC Hammer needed a stretching again, but once it's done during a run, the problem seems to go away.

Kimmage/ walkinstown/greenhills are posh? Well I suppose they are compared to Ballyfermot :p

Kimmage/ walkinstown/greenhills are posh? Well I suppose they are compared to Ballyfermot :p

Well, I live around there and I'm well posh. :cool:

Great consistent running there. Well done .

Monday - 5M run out the canal and back at lunchtime. Good strong breeze in the face on the way out to accompany the rain. Had to lean into the wind and got up onto the balls of the feet to keep moving. When I turned around I took full advantage of having the wind at my back and did my impersonation of a shopping bag blowing in the wind back to the office.

Tuesday 4.1 M Lunchtime @ 8:30 pace.

Wednesday Lunchtime - 6 x 800 with W/U C/D. I set up the Garmin to look after the intervals, but I dodnt look at the pace after each one, so was running them blind. I was cursing each one because I felt like I was crawling along and flagging towards the end. Was writing the session off on the way back to the office, but when I looked at the stats afterwards, they were a lot better then I felt they went. Still not a great session pace-wise, but a bit better then the last couple of speed sessions. 800s went thus

Time Pace HR
    3:25 (6:53) 88%
    3:39 (7:21) 97%?
    3:32 (7:08) 87%
    3:45 (7:34) 87%
    3:34 (7:12) 90%
    3:40 (7:23) 90%

Happy with the session, step in the right direction to improve the speed again.

Don't have to hunt so far back for my log. I'm either updating more regularly or some of the New Year logs have fizzled out.

5M Recovery @ lunchtime. Handy comfortable run in the lashing rain. I had the canal walk all to myself. 9:17 pace @ 75% Max.

Friday 10M at handy pace this evening. Legs felt great. Didnt want to go mad and tire the legs for the Parkrun

Saturday - Parkrun 5k. Got machettied at the last minute just as I was heading out the door (No names mentioned :rolleyes:), but despite the rain, I thought I'd go for it anyway. Did a quick warm up and recce of the mucky stretch and realised that for a good part of the swampy section, there was no way of dodging the puddles without moving out onto the soggy grass. Decided to run the race blind and not look at the watch, just run to what felt comfortable and fast.

Start of the race was like the opening scene from Saving Private Ryan with the scramble of everyone running on the grass and getting blocked in on the path until it thinned out a bit. Most people in front of me were opting for the grassy part when the puddles appeared, but I just ploughed through them kid a big kid in the rain and found myself overtaking a lot of people who were losing time and grip in the boggy grass. Even towards the end, I was gaining a few more places and felt great. The running felt consistant and there was no sigh of tiring towards the end. Was very disappointed though when I finished and realised I was just over 24 minutes. Very gutted with the time, was expecting it to be better. Not sure if I had looked at the watch, would it have have spurred me on more, but it was good to run the race with consistency instead of flagging after halfway. Maybe the speed-work is doing something for me after all. Slowly Slowly Catchy Monkey.

• Advertisement

Asics sent my two pairs of GT2150 a birthday card this weekend. They're now exactly one year old and have clocked up almost 2500 miles between the two pairs, so I went down to the Kildare Outlet and picked up a couple of new pairs of 2160. Was happy to see they dropped a tenner since January. No doubt they'll drop a bit further soon to make way for 2170 seeing as the GT2000 is the new thing now. Picked up a white and blue pair and stealth black pair. I don't mind what model I get anyway, because I look brilliant in anything. :cool:

Anyway, headed out today in the lashing rain to get the run out of the way before the Rugby in the black pair of 131-D-2160. Amazing difference compared to the old ones. I think there was that much wear on the old pairs that I was practically doing barefoot running. My big toes were giving out though, because they no longer has a sun roof that they could pop out to say hello to everyone.

6M @ 8:40 pace with lots of Gene Kelly moves in the rain avoiding car splashes and mucky puddles so that my new babies don't get all dirty. :P

Advertisement