Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well, its my own fault, and I was even sober at the time so I can't blame the wine. I've signed up for the 10 Marathons in 10 Days which is taking place in SixMileBridge from 4th July. What a way to spend the Summer Holidays. :eek:

I reckon all the other mad stuff I roped myself into in the past will still be there each year to lure me into doing something, but I might not get another chance to try a Decathon (not sure if that means one race the length of 10 marathons, or a 10 marathon event, but I'll go with it for the moment). Its not going to be by any means easy and there's a good chance that I'm not up to the proper level of fitness and training even at this stage, but sure that's all the more reason to get motivated and sort it out.

Anyway, that's the name change sorted, back to the log.

Easy 5M today in the other new pair of runners, nice and comfy. just a few easy miles for the rest of the week and then when the Clock strikes Donadea O'clock, the Ultra training will be kicking in for Connemara.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

E, that's just a whole new level of crazy :eek::)

Marathons are like buses now, you wait around for one and ten come all at once :pac:

Wednesday - 5M Lunchtime run @ 7:44 pace (Avg HR 83% of Max) Think the speed work and Park-runs might be starting to pay off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

10 in 10, is there no end to the lunacy? ;)

• Advertisement

Yep, unless someone organises a marathon on the moon (not sure how the Garmin would work though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭jonny99

The inaugural moon marathon will be held later this year.
    Please meet at cape canaveral at 9 for 9.30 transport to start.

As usual, these are very low key runs and are ideal for people who like to run the marathon distance and
    Experienced runners who do not need assistance on the course

These Marathons do not suit:
    Inexperienced/first time marathoners or anyone who needs assistance on the course
    People expecting a big event - this is an informal but official gathering of like-minded distance runners
    People who are looking to achieve a fast finish time.

In a bid to keep the price as low as possible:

There will be no finish gantry, tee shirts, mile markers or the usual big race facilities These races are to be regarded as self-sufficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Is the moon near the north side

jonny99 wrote: »
    The inaugural moon marathon will be held later this year.
    Please meet at cape canaveral at 9 for 9.30 transport to start.

As usual, these are very low key runs and are ideal for people who like to run the marathon distance and
    Experienced runners who do not need assistance on the course

These Marathons do not suit:
    Inexperienced/first time marathoners or anyone who needs assistance on the course
    People expecting a big event - this is an informal but official gathering of like-minded distance runners
    People who are looking to achieve a fast finish time.

In a bid to keep the price as low as possible:

There will be no finish gantry, tee shirts, mile markers or the usual big race facilities These races are to be regarded as self-sufficient.

My dream has finally come true, and all the Cheese you can eat at the end of it. My finish line celebration will probably go 20 foot into the air. One Giant Step and all that. The last time people were running on the moon, there was a great Buzz around the place.

Thursday 5.1M Lunchtime recovery run @ 9:27 pace. One more little run before Donadea now. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Is the moon near the north side
    Yeah just look for a massive crater a.k.a. Ballyfermott :-)

• Advertisement

3.5M morning run @ 9:30 pace just to get the legs ready for tomorrow.

Not sure whether to wear the new shoes, old shoes or flippers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

What's the strategy for tomorrow Eamo?
    I'm thinking the first 10km/2laps @ 5:30/km(8:50/m) and then take 10 secs/km off after every 10km so that I should finish in 4:50/km for approx 4h20m, i.e.
    Laps 1&2 – 10km @ 5:30/km
    Laps 3&4 – 10km @ 5:20/km
    Laps 5&6 – 10km @ 5:10/km
    Laps 7&8 – 10km @ 5:00/km
    Laps 9&10 – 10km @ 4:50/km
    Any chance you'll be running similar pace at the start?

belcarra wrote: »
    What's the strategy for tomorrow Eamo?
    I'm thinking the first 10km/2laps @ 5:30/km(8:50/m) and then take 10 secs/km off after every 10km so that I should finish in 4:50/km for approx 4h20m, i.e.
    Laps 1&2 – 10km @ 5:30/km
    Laps 3&4 – 10km @ 5:20/km
    Laps 5&6 – 10km @ 5:10/km
    Laps 7&8 – 10km @ 5:00/km
    Laps 9&10 – 10km @ 4:50/km
    Any chance you'll be running similar pace at the start?

Anto will have my head on the block if I do. I'm the 5h back marker on the day so I'll be running 6:00/km for the whole 5 hours. Best of luck, you'll thrash out a good time and probably get to lap me along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Aimman wrote: »
    Anto will have my head on the block if I do
    dont giv a rats wat way u do it,just finish at 4:50 somthing or before nightfall....id go boom boom style:D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

jcsmum wrote: »
    E, that's just a whole new level of crazy :eek::)
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    10 in 10, is there no end to the lunacy? ;)

Tis not often I agree with these 2 "wise" ould ones...but there's always a first time!

Good luck with it. Might have to make sure I am home in Clare one of the days to give ye some support.

Great crowd in the car park beofre the race and eveyone in good spirits. People were jealous of the very special and very limited edition lime green 50k top Anto got me. Nice match for the Jester's hat. :D

Job was to finish just at 5 hours which works out at 9:40 pace. From the word Go I was running on my own as everyone pelted off at race pace. I was doing the first 6 laps a bit quicker so that I could slow it down for the last 4 laps (Approx 9:20 per mile for the first 6 laps). I caught up with one runner for a couple of the first laps but after a stop at the kit bag for a gel, he had gained a bit of a lead ahead. At the halfway point I was gaining on Michelle, a Donroe runner. RQ gave me the heads up and said my life would be in danger if I passed her by. As I overtook her, I told her not to panic, because I was ahead of schedule a bit and would be slowing it down towards the end and she'd most likely catch up with me.

Lap 7 & 8 became a bit daunting because it wasn't actually pacing duties, just a back marker to give people an idea of if they were going to make the 5 hours. It was more like a solo XLSR and sanity was starting to play tricks on me. I was surprised to see people logging sub 4 marathon splits and walking back to the finish line with buckets of time left. I didn't even know if the two people behind me had dropped out or planning on taking a marathon split.

Towards the end of lap 8 with 1km to go and 3:55 on the clock, a very quiet Marthastew passed me by on her was to winning the ladies race. I let out a few roars at her to keep it strong and that the Course record was in the bag. I kept shouting to her as she was going into the distance, only to be told to shut up by someone behind me, it was Mr. Stew doing his best to catch sneak up with her in the last moments. :D

Coming up to the start of lap 9 I asked Anto if there was anyone behind me. I said that if I was the last runner back, I might as well log a marathon time and leave it at that, but that I'd run back to the start of the next lap to find out if anyone was still behind me before I stop.

Just as I was at the grub bag, Michelle was going past me with another runner (Also Eamonn) but he was running with her as far as the Marathon clock just to have his time recorded, so I said I'd join them. When Eamonn finished, I decided to stay with Michelle for the next lap and a half because it was the first time she passed marathon distance and was determined to finish the full 50k. She knew at that point that we were not going to make the 5 hour time as we were running 10:40 pace since I met her and my pacing target was now slipping away but the thing now was to get Michelle to the end. We had reached the Marathon clock at 4:17. She was getting worried that if she didn't make the time, she'd end up with a DNF but I told her not to worry and just keep going until we got to the end. We had lapped a couple of other runners during the last two laps and they were just planning on walking out the last few miles. We kept the pace going steady counting down the kms and I was glad having someone to run with for the last couple of laps as there'd be no more fast runners dashing by. We finished in 5:07 and it was great to hear everyone cheering her on and the finishers tape was up.

It was a great event organised by Anto and I was glad to help out in the last couple of laps to get someone around the more difficult section of the race.

When I got back to the house, I removed 2 tonnes of muck from the new runners and when I took of the sock I discovered a big blood blister on the arch of my foot. I think Anto can vouch for this because I was on the phone to him at the time and I think I screamed like a little girl when I took the sock off and seen it. The mad thing is that it looked heart shaped so I took a photo of it and put a bit of text to it to sum up the pain and pleasure of Ultras.

5517_10200249426054783_1425243681_n.jpg

Sunday 10M in the sunshine @ 9:40 pace. Legs felt a bit wobbly for the first 300m but quickly settled in and ran the miles very comfortably.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thanks for the lift and for looking after Michelle. She's thrilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Great crowd in the car park beofre the race and eveing his best to catch sneak up with her in the last moments. :D
    . The mad thing is that it looked heart shaped so I took a photo of it and put a bit of text to it to sum up the pain and pleasure of Ultras.

5517_10200249426054783_1425243681_n.jpg

[
    Thats some blister on Valentines week an'all.:D
    Spent 3 hours last night reading about foot care and ultras . Apparently blood blisters are best left alone due to higher risk of infection. Sit your bum down with a nice beer and some cake , if you can get hold of some :cool:

Well done on finishing another Donadea. Will chase you down next year :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sunday 10M

crazy person :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

I fully expected you to have a harem of adoring females around you, when I got to you on Lap 10 - just the one?
    Loosing your touch....

Nice report and a classic blister :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the lift and for looking after Michelle. She's thrilled.
    Glad to have you along for the drive.
    RayCun wrote: »
    crazy person :pac:
    I know, I felt guilty, should have done 15M
    Izoard wrote: »
    I fully expected you to have a harem of adoring females around you, when I got to you on Lap 10 - just the one?
    Loosing your touch....

I couldn't rent out the harem for Saturday, someone already had them booked.

Monday - 4M lunchtime @ 9:48 pace (Avg 85% Max). Had the intention of making this a recovery paced run keeping the HR under 76% Max, but the thing was all over the place after the weekend and I'd have been that slow to get 70%, I'd miss the afternoon in work. I reckon I must be pregnant because it must have been picking up two heartbeats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Monday - 4M lunchtime @ 9:48 pace (Avg 85% Max). Had the intention of making this a recovery paced run keeping the HR under 76% Max, but the thing was all over the place after the weekend and I'd have been that slow to get 70%, I'd miss the afternoon in work. I reckon I must be pregnant because it must have been picking up two heartbeats.

Must be all the blood flow required to keep that blister fed!:eek:

Sharp enough evening for a run. Cold air caught my breath as I headed out and thought I was going to struggle with today's session which was......

6x600m intervals

Probably a bit too early to be doing a speed session after the 41M weekend, but the SixMileBridge marathon is on Saturday, so I was better trying it this end of the week. I decided to run it blind without checking the watch as I expected the intervals to be a bit slower then usual. The main purpose was just try and run each one consistent without any fading or struggling.

I opted for the Distance/Time option just to give the body better time to recover in between, but I only set the watch for a 60 second rest where P&D recommends a 50% - 90% rest period (based on time to run the interval) so I was doing myself out of rest time.

Intervals went surprisingly well. Felt like I was maintaining a consistent pace each time and I wasn't flailing or losing it towards the end of each one.

6 x 600m

Lap Time Pace Avg Max%
    1 2:45 7:23 94%
    2 2:45 7:24 82%
    3 2:44 7:22 88%
    4 2:46 7:28 94%
    5 2:46 7:26 88%
    6 2:46 7:26 93%

Not greyhound quality just yet, but happy with the consistency and quality for each lap

6M today with W/U & C/D

Wednesday 6M @ 9:30 pace (88% of MRH) :o. Delayed reaction from the weekend me thinks, found it harder than I expected. Set off at 9:00 pace but after 3 miles of running straight into a cold wind, it got the better of me and the pace was dropping off. Heart Rate was all over the place.

Seeing as the legs were sluggish on Wednesday, I decided to rest up on Thursday to give myself a chance to catch up before Saturday

Friday - 2.5M light run at lunchtime. Wasn't pushed about doing it, but glad I did, because the watch went dead halfway around. It must have switched on in the bag at some stage. Better now then during the marathon tomorrow, its back on charge now.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Just thinking there about those 10 in 10.... are they all that same one mile loops in SMB? Worried about dizziness?
    Can people do any of the 10, or is it only for folk doing all of them?

Saturday - Sixmilebridge Marathon 4:25, 10 min/mile pace
    Started off well and brought the Camel pack so that I didn't have to rely on the drink stations for this one (without all the chaffing I got in Killeigh. First few miles went well and comfortable but eventually, I felt like I could just lie down at the side of the road for a long snooze. Not sure if it was the build up of a few sleepless nights along with the 5am start to get to the race, but didn't have the get up and go to keep pace and just shuffled along. Maybe I'm not getting enough iron :rolleyes:. I heard there is very little iron in horse meat.

This route is the 10 in 10 route, and seemed manageable on a regular basis. It's undulating, but there doesn't seem to be any section that I'd would dread tackling twice a day for 10 days, however, ask me again around 10th July.

Course was a bit long, 26.6M because some of us did the full 1M section of the town during each loop and overlooked the 'shortcut' road that should have been taken for this marathon. Wont be making that mistake for the next 10 races there. ;)

Sunday - 10.2M in 1:33 @ 9:13 pace
    Met up with UM1 this evening and stretched the legs for a few miles. Felt a lot better today then yesterday. Must have been the long lie in today. Ran the couple of hills strongly. Think I should have had today's legs yesterday. Burnt off 1200 calories on the run and fed 5000 calories to Anto in an attempt to 'pad' him out before Connemara.

Just thinking there about those 10 in 10.... are they all that same one mile loops in SMB? Worried about dizziness?
    Can people do any of the 10, or is it only for folk doing all of them?

Its a new half marathon loop that leaves the town, heads to Kilmurray and makes it's way back but half of the One Mile loop is used to make up the distance.

I think the final day for booking the 10 in 10 is February 28, then shortly afterwards, they will announce how many spaces are left over and give people the opportunity to book one or more of the spaces to do as many of the 10 you want.

Tuesday - 4M lunchtime run. Watch battery went dead on me half way around

Thursday - Very early morning start, plan was for 6x800 before work. During the 1M warm up, battery went dead again. With no stopwatch, I just had to belt out the 6 loops blind. No idea if I was keeping up with last weeks pace comfortably or was running slower then I thought. About 4.5M for the session with W/U and C/D

Think the watch is due a trade in now. 3rd time in a week it wend flat and I doubt it accidentally turned on in the bag three times in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

..... waits patiently for race report ;)

Advertisement