Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

..... waits patiently for race report ;)

Not sure if he's landed yet from his jump at the finish line ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Ah, no major race report for this one, set out for the Ultra at 9am, finished 7:10 hours later.

First 13.1M went well passing the HM point at 2:01 on schedule. Between the strong winds, niggles and weak legs, hit the Marathon point at 4:20, but kept running up to this point with only a stop at the HM point to fix my camelback which was sawing through my neck for 13 miles. Just battled with the wind and kept the legs moving as best I could for the last 13.1M

Anyway, its all about the 10in10 now, so having the last few weeks of pacing and racing, its now all focus on July

With the legs a bit battered after Sunday, its time to work on overcoming fatigue, so

Tuesday 4M Lunchtime run @ 9:32 pace
    10k evening run @ 8:53 pace

Wednesday 4.1M Lunchtime Run @ 9:23 pace
    6M evening Run @ 9:32 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

YOur persistence in the last third will pay off in the 10/10. Well done for slugging it out .

Thursday - 5M Lunchtime run, didn't get an opportunity to do an evening run

Friday - Had to miss out on the run today because of work

Saturday - Met up with the sister in St. Enda's park for 5k

Sunday - Disaster today, Ran to Phoenix Park with Meno and RQ to look at the Great Ireland Run. Heading back, I started getting a headache and couldn't keep the pace up. I was parched and had to scavenge left over water bottles from the 5k drink station, but didn't help. Think it was part dehydration and part delayed fatigue from Connemara, either way, it was an uncomfortable run back to collect the car from Park West. 13.7M for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Epic race report E, sounds like a tough slog so well done.

When is the 10/0 again - must try to remember to be home for some support one of the days.

• Advertisement

When is the 10/0 again - must try to remember to be home for some support one of the days.

Its between the 4th and 13th of July, Come along and give us a cheer

Took a bit of a break on the Monday to rest up after the bad day on Sunday

Tuesday - 5M lunchtime run easy pace

Wednesday & Thursday, No Running because of busy schedule working in Cork

Friday - Better get out and do something so 3M run before big hotel breakfast

Saturday - EOI Clontarf Marathon. Met up with a lot of the usual suspects for the inaugural East of Ireland Marathon. Four lengths of the Clontarf / Sutton Strip. Decided on a safe 4:30 time so as to spend a bit of time on the feet and not over exert myself and save a bit of energy for Sunday. Took a 5min toilet break at mile 18 and found myself in last position. The competitive streak came out in me and I gradually upped the pace each time I seen someone in front and gained back 8 places with a good steady pace to finish, getting back the 5 mins and a couple more to finish 4:28. Enough of a workout and hopefully enough time to recover for Sunday.

The day was run brilliantly, well organised at the start, water stations at each turn around point and a feed of sambos, cakes and crisps at the finish line. Got a free suntan thrown into the deal.

Sunday - Wexford Half Marathon 2:00 pacing. Meet jcsmum and belcarra at the registration tent. belcarra was doing 1:45, me and jcsmum were looking after the 2:00 group. Despite the brutal weather before the race, it gradually cleared up and brightened to lovely sunshine for the last 5M which may have caught out some of our group with the rise in temperature.

Unfortunately, we didn't have signs on our 'Time Keeper' Hi Viz bibs which caused a bit of confusion for people, but was funny at 2M when a woman came up to me and asked what time had I in mind? I said 2 hours would be nice. :)

Then as we went through the estate grounds, a French woman piped up "Have we slowed down?" To which I just said "No, We're just going uphill":confused:

We had a bit of banter with the group and dropped behind them for a bit to make sure the people starting to struggle were ok. The main group pushed on with less then 2 miles left and we were able to pick up some stragglers and get them to tag along for the last bit, counting down the distance with them. Crossed the line with 25 seconds to spare. Legs felt good all the way around with no niggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Rumour habit that the race director of the eoi marathons is fairly well hung, any truth in it :-)

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Rumour habit that the race director of the eoi marathons is fairly well hung, any truth in it :-)

Yeah, Ger is massive. The duo have the nickname little and large. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Aimman wrote: »
    Yeah, Ger is massive. The duo have the nickname little and large. :p

I think he was alluding to the meat and not the two vegetables...:p

belcarra wrote: »
    I think he was alluding to the meat and not the two vegetables...:p

I was alluding to the duo race directors, Ger is Large and you have to work out who is Little (Frank can give you a hint;))

• Advertisement

Monday - Feet up

Tuesday - Nice 9.5M run @ 8:50 pace taking in a good few nasty hills without letting the pace drop too much

Wednesday - 5M Lunchtime run @ 9:30 for the sake of recovery from the hills.

Friday - 5.3M @ 8:18 pace

Saturday 15M @ 8:46 pace.

Had a moment just now, thought the Garmin died on me when I went to upload, it wouldn't switch on. Soft reset failed but hard reset did the trick and I didn't lose any data. Thought it was going to be a panic job to get a new one before the Limerick pacing on Sunday.

Handy 12M at 8:30 pace. Was going well until mile 10 when I faced a strong headwind for a mile uphill on the duel carriageway but gained back the pace afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

All looking good Aimmo, you looked like you'd dropped a fair few pounds last time I saw you!

digger2d2 wrote: »
    All looking good Aimmo, you looked like you'd dropped a fair few pounds last time I saw you!
    Are you saying I was fat and nobody said anything? :eek:

Monday - 4.1M Blind recovery run - i.e. Couldn't see the pace on the Garmin, just the % HR and kept it in the recovery zone. Pace 9:19, avg 76% Max HR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Monday - 4.1M Blind recovery run - i.e. Couldn't see the pace on the Garmin, just the % HR and kept it in the recovery zone. Pace 9:19, avg 76% Max HR
    Wat r u recoverin from.......and datfrank fella say u remind him of him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

The paces are coming down bigtime there eamonn. Must be nearly in pb shape.

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Wat r u recoverin from

A weekend of drink;)

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    The paces are coming down bigtime there eamonn. Must be nearly in pb shape.

A nice flat one along the seafront in May might do it Frank

:cool:

• Advertisement

Took is a wee bit handy yesterday as I was hoping to do a bit of speed work intervals at some stage today but it didn't quite turn out as I expected.

Early morning rise and dropped the car off at work and headed out for planned moderate 6M pace to save the intervals for lunchtime. Legs took me on a bit of a wild chase and before I knew it, I had comfortably knocked out 10k in 49mins (7:54 pace, Avg 85% Max HR)

Miles went (8:06) (8:25) (7:51) (7:46) (7:32) (7:44) (7:47 for the last 0.22M)

After a faster than anticipated morning run, I thought I'd take it a bit slower and keep the lunchtime 4M run about 9 min miles. The legs had a different opinion on how it was going to be run. 4M in 30:00 (7:30 pace, Avg 91% Max HR)

Miles went (7:47) (7:11) (7:23) (7:39) think the Sarsefield hill climb was taking a bit out of me at the end.

I was getting a bit worried with the result this morning and thought I had done a Tom Hanks in that film Big. I had to look in the mirror after the first run in case I had woken up inside a much younger body (not in the Digger sense! :D)

Nice 10M run this morning in 1:28:23 (8:50 pace Avg HR 78% Max) Heart rate was in the Recovery zone for first 8 miles around but I upped the pace a bit for mile 9 & 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AJAYC

Some very impressive training times there, get out & grab those 5 & 10k PBs.

AJAYC wrote: »
    Some very impressive training times there, get out & grab those 5 & 10k PBs.

I have my eye on Lexlip on Saturday, if there's anything left in the legs by the end of this week ;)

I have my eye on Lexlip on Saturday, if there's anything left in the legs by the end of this week ;)
    ull be lucky to break 30 mins after tomorows fun and frolics

Thursday - Ran the length of the Royal Canal with Ultraman from Sallins to Robertstown and back, taking in a top up on the tan. Was a lovely day for a run and deeply regret not stuffing the backpack with Aunt Fanny's fruit cake, Tinned Apricots with Custard and lashings of Ginger Beer to have by the canal bank in Robertstown but it was all put good in Chez Lee where I was wined and dined for lunch with a massive salad spread. (mind you, it would have finished off perfectly with a poached egg on top, but I'll have to live in hope) :(

15M in 2:21 (9:26 pace, Avg 75% Max HR)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Thursday - Ran the length of the Royal Canal with Ultraman from Sallins to Robertstown and back, taking in a top up on the tan. Was a lovely day for a run and deeply regret not stuffing the backpack with Aunt Fanny's fruit cake, Tinned Apricots with Custard and lashings of Ginger Beer to have by the canal bank in Robertstown but it was all put good in Chez Lee where I was wined and dined for lunch with a massive salad spread. (mind you, it would have finished off perfectly with a poached egg on top, but I'll have to live in hope) :(

15M in 2:21 (9:26 pace, Avg 75% Max HR)

you forgot about cold meat, hard boiled eggs and jam tarts :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Aunt Fanny's Fruit Cake???!!!! :eek::eek::eek: I am not even going to ask.....

Dory Dory wrote: »
    cocaine bars;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Dory Dory wrote: »

:D

Advertisement