Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Aunt Fanny's Fruit Cake???!!!! :eek::eek::eek: I am not even going to ask.....
    Classic Enid Blyton stuff, was all innocent in them days, there weren't even cross dressers in those days, just tomboys.

ultraman1 wrote: »
    cocaine bars;)
    They lasted well in the freezer after all that time. I reckon the brandy made a good preserve.
    jcsmum wrote: »
    you forgot about cold meat, hard boiled eggs and jam tarts :rolleyes::D
    I hope you had to Google that or else you're be giving your age away :-)

Saturday - passed over the Lexlip 5k because I'd either race it and not get a proper snapshot of my 5k time because of the increased training this week, or I'd push to go eyeballs out and suffer at tomorrow's pacing in Limerick

3M @ 8:30 pace (Avg 79% MAx HR)

Now I just have to pack the earplugs and pick up Meno, Oisin and belcarra for the Limerick road trip. :D

Sunday - Great Limerick Run Pacing 4:30
    Great day out today, nothing major to report on the run, everything went smoothly on the day. Belcarra was pacing with me and did a great job of chatting to people along the way and pushing people along at the end to finish strong.

Water stations were well stocked although there were no gels left at the first gel station. The modified route was good and made a change running the canal and university in the other direction but I prefer the old route past Thomond Park instead of winding through the housing estate.

The names on the numbers is a great idea, calling out to people when they needed a bit of a push.

As the heat and distance was taking it's toll on people in the last few miles, there were a few people slowing down and dropping back but me and Belcarra were like sheep dogs, rounding them up to keep going. We caught up with a girl that started right beside us but was walking with 3 miles to go. She had given up but we persuaded here to stay with us and there were a few times when she gave up and we got her going again, she pushed on with half a mile left and finished well. She was very emotional at the end and kept hugging myself and Belcarra and crying saying that she had given up but we managed to get her going again. It's moments like that which makes the pacing job that bit more special, knowing that it made a difference to at least one person.

Just after mile 24, I had to dash over and catch a woman who's legs had buckled under her and was about to crack her head off the wall. She was running the half marathon and went out too fast. Another runner stopped to help me sit her up by a wall and she was given a gel and some water to take. After a little while her friend came along and sat with her to help her regain herself so I was able to head off and catch up with the group. Not sure what people made of a 4:30 pacer belting out sub 8 min pace past them towards the end of a race, but I did manage to spot one guy who was with us from the start and had slowed back. I pointed to the 25M sign and told him there was just a mile left in it and he dug deep and held on to the finish.

Myself and Belcarra did the 'Jump' shot for a photographer after the 20M mark just after the bridge. Just hoping he managed to catch us in action.

Great day out and really amazing to see so many people push to the end and reach their goal despite the hot day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Aimman wrote: »
    Sunday - Great Limerick Run Pacing 4:30
    Just after mile 24, I had to dash over and catch a woman who's legs had buckled under her and was about to crack her head off the wall. She was running the half marathon and went out too fast. Another runner stopped to help me sit her up by a wall and she was given a gel and some water to take. After a little while her friend came along and sat with her to help her regain herself so I was able to head off and catch up with the group. Not sure what people made of a 4:30 pacer belting out sub 8 min pace past them towards the end of a race, but I did manage to spot one guy who was with us from the start and had slowed back. I pointed to the 25M sign and told him there was just a mile left in it and he dug deep and held on to the finish.
    What a hero!! See I knew you deserved those chips I bought you ;)

What a hero!! See I knew you deserved those chips I bought you ;)
    And they were very tasty after all that drink and dancing around. Thanks a mill for them :-) :D

How's the 4th fastest woman in Limerick keeping? has it sunk in yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

And they were very tasty after all that drink and dancing around. Thanks a mill for them :-) :D

How's the 4th fastest woman in Limerick keeping? has it sunk in yet?
    Still on cloud 9 :D Have to keep pinching myself...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Great day out alright but I am disappointed to see no mention of your admirer at the start/Locke's...!

Fair play to you regarding that girl collapsing too...I was thinking I should possibly go over to help her but halfway through that thought you had just emerged from the telephone box (with your dodgy red tights and cape donned) to save the day! Then cue the 'faster than a speeding locomotive' pace to get back to us. Well done again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Apparently our gourmet dining experience was located in the infamous chipper where the term Stab City originated. Limerick legend has it that some guy wouldn't give his pal a chip and you can imagine what happened next. I bet you're glad you shared your gravy chips with me blocky;)
    belcarra wrote: »
    Great day out alright but I am disappointed to see no mention of your admirer at the start/Locke's...!

Fair play to you regarding that girl collapsing too...I was thinking I should possibly go over to help her but halfway through that thought you had just emerged from the telephone box (with your dodgy red tights and cape donned) to save the day! Then cue the 'faster than a speeding locomotive' pace to get back to us. Well done again!

It's like Anto said.... He's Kevin Costner in the Bodygaurd;)

belcarra wrote: »

.....you had just emerged from the telephone box (with your dodgy red tights and cape donned)....

I think he's signed up now for the 10 in 10. Anyway, who do you think I borrowed the outfit from ;)
    Marthastew wrote: »

It's like Anto said.... He's Kevin Costner in the Bodygaurd;)

You forgot to mention I'm Patrick Swazye on the dancefloor too. redface.png

Planned to meet up with Meno this evening, but squeezed in a few miles before he arrived. Because I valeted my car on Friday to meet Meno's high standards for the trip to Limerick, I put all the stuff in a box and left it in the house including all the inhalers, so I had to make to with just getting on with it best I could.

Knocked out 3.8M beforehand with split pace of 8:26, 8:09, 8:39, 7:50 but the breathing was under a bit of pressure and making things a bit uncomfortable. I told Meno that if we keep the pace up, the conversation would be a bit one sided (A bit more one sided) so we eased off a little for the next 6.1 miles at 8:50 pace.

Miles for today, 9.9M, should have gone the extra 0.1M, I might have to tag it onto tomorrows run now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Marthastew wrote: »
    Apparently our gourmet dining experience was located in the infamous chipper where the term Stab City originated. Limerick legend has it that some guy wouldn't give his pal a chip and you can imagine what happened next. I bet you're glad you shared your gravy chips with me blocky;)

:eek: ugh, having flashbacks now, that gravy did not look like gravy but it tasted unreal at the time!

Jasus Aimman you had some adventure! Do you have those superpowers all the time? Aimman could become a new character in the next Marvel movie!

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »

Aimman could become a new character in the next Marvel movie!

Aimman And The Race Against Time! (As in 'Time Gentlemen please, finish your drinks and make your way to the exits') :pac:

Are you sure it was gravy and not half a bottle of Chef?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

:eek: ugh, having flashbacks now, that gravy did not look like gravy but it tasted unreal at the time!
    Judging by this and MS description above ye must have wandered into the Chicken Hut on your way home.

The "gravy" is pretty much peppercorn sauce and the snack box is like crack at around 2 in the morning. The place is an institution, like Leo burrdocks, with a higher crime rate.

Wednseday, back home late from work and time was pushing for a long run, so opted for some self flagellation before dinner. 4.4M in 33:16 (7:33 pace, Avg 85% max HR) managing to avoid the heavy rain showers that signal the end of Summer 2013. Winter is Coming!

dev123 wrote: »
    Judging by this and MS description above ye must have wandered into the Chicken Hut on your way home.

The "gravy" is pretty much peppercorn sauce and the snack box is like crack at around 2 in the morning. The place is an institution, like Leo burrdocks, with a higher crime rate.

Yep, It was indeed Chicken Hut I remember catching that much if not much else. The "gravy" was recommended by a local that I slurred to for a recommendation! It looked a greyish/white colour! :eek: Did I care at the time, No. Did it taste unreal, Yes. Did I regret it the morning after, Yes! :D

Anyway I better go and burn some of it off! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

time was pushing for a long run, so opted for some self flagellation
    wud a bit of strecthin not suffice,havin a **** is just hard core...

wud a bit of strecthin not suffice,havin a **** is just hard core...

Same difference :confused:

Happy out today, nice 10M after work in 1:22 (8:17 pace, Avg HR 83% Max)

Had one challenging mile in 2nd half into the wind and up a hill, but managed to get over it and speed it all up again. Bumped into RQ cruising along the BF neighbourhood.

Splits (8:24) (8:00) (7:58) (8:10) (7:36) (8:41) (8:58) (8:44) (8:12) (8:09)

I think with Kildare pacing on the horizon for Sunday, I should spend a bit of time in the recovery zone for the next couple of days or Anto will be driving behind me with a Cattle Prod if I slow down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

I should spend a bit of time in the recovery zone for the next couple of days or Anto will be driving behind me with a Cattle Prod if I slow down.
    ul be doing the new 5:45 pacer for next year

ul be doing the new 5:45 pacer for next year

Subtle threat taken, I'll take tomorrow off work and have my legs massaged by angels and muses while sipping on heavenly organic protein and carbohydrate shakes to make sure I'm in top condition. Ah hell, I'll even give up the drink until Sunday.... :eek: .... eh, on second thoughts, two out of three aint bad? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You still on for that 10 miles tomorrow? :p

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    You still on for that 10 miles tomorrow? :p

Feck, it is Friday tomorrow already:eek:?
    OK then, but don't tell Anto.

Friday - 5M blind recovery run at lunchtime.
    5M in 44:39 (8:56 pace Avg HR 73% Max)

Happy to discover afterwards that my recovery pace today was under 9 min miles after the last couple of days sessions and it was under the usual 75-76% I normally run it in.

Sunday - Kildare Marathon 4:30 pacing
    Pacing duties today with Digigem. Weather started off raining and windy and thought it would be that was for the whole race. Pacees were in good spirits and we managed to push a couple on in the last couple of miles. Fair play to one guy who kept us in his sights since Newbridge and slowly slowly caught up with us by 23 miles (or 24 miles if you were going by the wrongly placed mile markers :P) and then kicked off past us to finish well.

Had the customary 30 seconds in the bank at mile 26 but I think the wind might have blown the finish line a bit further down the grandstand. On the last straight and the half minute magically disappeared. Anto said he tipped off one of the photographers to catch a jump at the end, the only problem was I didn't know who it was and I ended up doing 4 high jumps towards the finish line because I kept spotting another camera. I was like a grasshopper coming to the finish line. Digigem had that look of 'I'm not with him' as we crossed the line.:o Great pacing duties by Digigem today, keeping an eye on the pacing and not getting carried away on the pace while chatting to people.

Nearly forgot to stop the watch after the fourth jump across the mat, Garmin says 4:30:00 but chip time will be under

26.5M in 4:30:00 (10:11 pace, Avg HR 76% Max)

8732412388_9de57222df.jpg

Is this the best you can do? ;)

I ended up doing 4 high jumps towards the finish line because I kept spotting another camera.

That was the first attempt, I was just warming up, there isn't even a finishing mat in sight :P

253584.jpg

This is still the warm up one. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Take it back!!

247611_448948395198863_1077388998_n.png

Apologies! That was a close call with the clock! :)

Apologies! That was a close call with the clock! :)

Apologies Accepted blockic :), Chip Time, 4:29:56 :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good to catch up yesterday Aimman, I enjoyed the pacing, now all I got to do is learn how to jump :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

All those years of finish line training jumps are starting to pay off. Brill photo.

By the way... your heart rate percentage. It is a straight Garmin one or a working heart rate percentage?

Advertisement