Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

DigiJem wrote: »
    Good to catch up yesterday Aimman, I enjoyed the pacing, now all I got to do is learn how to jump :pac:

Such a pity we missed you yesterday J, have a super break and hope to see you soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

By the way... your heart rate percentage. It is a straight Garmin one or a working heart rate percentage?

I'm not sure which, I have the Garmin set to record the Average HR over the race. What is the difference? (I'm showing my ignorance now):rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Aimman wrote: »
    I'm not sure which, I have the Garmin set to record the Average HR over the race. What is the difference? (I'm showing my ignorance now):rolleyes:
    his heart rate is always higher when he is pacin wit u fin:D:D:D:Dxxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

DigiJem wrote: »
    Good to catch up yesterday Aimman, I enjoyed the pacing, now all I got to do is learn how to jump :pac:

Now that would be cool a synchronised jump across the line by you both! :D

Monday - 6M in 47:33 (7:56 pace Avg 83% Max HR) Legs felt good today, no tiredness after yesterday's outing.

• Advertisement

Tuesday
    5M lunchtime run, kept it in the recovery region.
    5M in 45:00 (9:00 pace, Avg 76% Max HR)

Evening run from West County Hotel into the park for a long loop and back again. Was trying to keep to 8 min pace overall but the long hill in the people's park took a bit out of me that was a bit of work to recover back, mind you, once I got into the side trails along the walls, the pace picked up. Was tempted to belt down the Knockmaroon hill to even up the odds, but that would be cheating :rolleyes:
    Belted down the Upper Glen Road to Chapelizod Gate instead for a 7:25 mile ;), did the trick

9M in 1:13 (8:07 pace Avg 83% Max HR)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

6 or 7 tomorrow if you want? we could meet at Marlay for a change?...

menoscemo wrote: »
    6 or 7 tomorrow if you want? we could meet at Marlay for a change?...
    Yeah, that''s grand. Earlier start so? Will the main car park be open till we finish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yeah, that''s grand. Earlier start so? Will the main car park be open till we finish?

Yeah it's open till 9 I think. Main carpark for 5:50 or back carpark for 5:45. Take your pick....

I 'll do a Frank and go in the back way :eek:

See you at 5:45

• Advertisement

I 'll do a Frank and go in the back way :eek:

See you at 5:45
    u may need this...Dogging-Tales-Masks.png

ultraman1 wrote: »
    u may need this...Dogging-Tales-Masks.png

Nah, that's last year's model, I already sold it on Ebay. Yoda masks are all the rage now that they are making Star Wars VII :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

I know what you 2 gays are meeting in a park for and it's not running :-)

Wednesday - Lunchtime 5M in 45:57 (9:11 pace Avg HR 75% of Max)

Evening - Bit of a warm up before Meno arrived and then ran around Marley looking for the ParkRun route. Ran it front ways, back ways, sideways and overall Arse ways! :D
    7.3M @ 8:43 pace Avg 75% Max HR

Any suggestions as to why both runs were done at the same HR for the duration of each run, but the lunchtime session was run slower? I would have thought that the body would have more fatigue and be in some sort of recovery AFTER the lunchtime run and so the HR would have been higher for the faster pace in the evening? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Evening - Bit of a warm up before Meno arrived and then ran around Marley looking for the ParkRun route. Ran it front ways, back ways, sideways and overall Arse ways! :D

Any suggestions as to why both runs were done at the same HR for the duration of each run, but the lunchtime session was run slower? I would have thought that the body would have more fatigue and be in some sort of recovery AFTER the lunchtime run and so the HR would have been higher for the faster pace in the evening? :confused:

I'd say it's because your a machine Eamo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I reckon your body is used to lots of miles Eamo so it was probably more based on external factors like a stronger breeze or some uphills at lunchtime, etc.

One thing I'm certainly confused about is that all evidence points towards Meno having a relaxing and calming effect on you...there must be another reason!!:D

belcarra wrote: »
    I reckon your body is used to lots of miles Eamo so it was probably more based on external factors like a stronger breeze or some uphills at lunchtime, etc.

One thing I'm certainly confused about is that all evidence points towards Meno having a relaxing and calming effect on you...there must be another reason!!:D
    The lunchtime run was along the flat path of the Canal and in the Evening, we went up the long drags a few times.

Now that you mention it, Meno was wearing his Chamomile scented aftershave, so that might be answer :)

The lunchtime run was along the flat path of the Canal and in the Evening, we went up the long drags a few times.

Now that you mention it, Meno was wearing his Chamomile scented aftershave, so that might be answer :)

How about meals beforehand? Maybe you were still digesting lunch and ran the evening route without food??
    That or your a sucker for chamomile...:P

maybe the thought of having to perform in marley with meno was playing on yir mind...sort of like a pre first date ****....

maybe the thought of having to perform in marley with meno was playing on yir mind...sort of like a pre first date ****....

Now that's science!

• Advertisement

Have you been running with a loaded gun again Anto? You're watching too much 'Something about Mary'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Are you planning another crack at DCM this year?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Are you planning another crack at DCM this year?
    Too early to say. I'll have to see how much stuffing the 10 in 10 takes out of me. It took ages to fully recover from the Belfast 24 hours, so I'll just have to wait and see what's left in the legs in August. Might throw my name in the hat for pacing instead.

Thursday - 5M Lunchtime Run in 45:00 (9min pace Avg HR 76% Max)
    Evening Run, cant get HR to connect to Garmin, battery might be flat, probably explains the results lately. :o 5M in 41:44 (8:20 pace)

Friday - Frame was a bit rattly this morning (couldn't be from all that wine last night, could it?), just took it handy 5M in 47:30 (9:30 pace)

Thursday - 5M Lunchtime Run in 45:00 (9min pace Avg HR 76% Max)
    Evening Run, cant get HR to connect to Garmin, battery might be flat, probably explains the results lately. :o 5M in 41:44 (8:20 pace)

Friday - Frame was a bit rattly this morning (couldn't be from all that wine last night, could it?), just took it handy 5M in 47:30 (9:30 pace)

I had to change my battery last night as the HR data was going skewiff the past couple of days. Mind you, I'm not sure yet though if that's done the trick!

belcarra wrote: »
    I had to change my battery last night as the HR data was going skewiff the past couple of days. Mind you, I'm not sure yet though if that's done the trick!

I just stuck a new battery in and its picking up a signal. At least I know I still have a heartbeat :D

Saturday - Handy Out today, brought the big sis running in Marley before the Parkrun Kicked off. Only did a few easy miles before the marathon tomorrow. Timed a big loop to get back to the start area just before the race started, but there was a lot of problems with delays and people arriving late into the carpark and having to be re-directed to the rear car park, so we did another short loop so we didn't get in the way of the hordes.

3.5M in 34:01 (9:37 pace Avg 81% Max HR)

so what do I believe now with the HR monitor with the new battery? I'll need a few more sessions to figure out what's going on with the heart rate readings. Most definitely didn't feel like 81% so something is a miss. Maybe I just just stock up on almost empty coin batteries so that my HR looks nice and low. :D

Despite the HR battery going flat and the possibility of believing that the sudden increase of speed and overall condition during a run would tally up with the good HR statistics, today was the day that I didn't have pacing duties and probably the best opportunity to have a 'tune up' race, or should that be 'time trial' day out?

Sunday - Clontarf East of Ireland Marathon.
    This was marathon No. 60 for me and what better way to mark it than with putting a bit of effort into it and see what's hiding under the bonnet after somewhat improved paces in the last three weeks training.

Being a cool overcast morning, there were a few usual suspects starting out in a variety of layers and jackets but I thought I'd brave it with just the bog standard finisher's technical top and stuffed a couple of gels into the belt.

The plan was simple. Start off with 8:30 pacing and run as comfortably as possible and if the pace slows off, keep her lit and aim for a sub 4 just to get back into the game. From the start, I was running alongside Frank (Oisin75874896) just a bit quicker than 8:30 pacing and tipping along nicely. At the first turnaround point (1/4 marathon distance) grabbed a small water bottle for the way back. The weather took a turn for the better (or worse if you are running) and as the sun scorched and the heat built up, I kept the pace at around 8:30 coming up to mile 13 and let Frank drift ahead as it looked like it was going to be a warm run. Coming up to the halfway mark, my overall average was 8:28 pace, but I stopped at the car to change into a singlet, took a gel, nabbed a salt tablet and ducked into a big bush for a toilet break and lost a bit of time. At the halfway point, I took a bottle of isotonic and shoved the salt tablet into it and got back into my stride.

With the warmer weather, the pace was dropping a bit and although I was running a good pace, I didn't want to do anything silly, so ran for comfort for the next half. Pace was dropping into the early 9 min band but I was feeling comfortable and able to pick up the pace a bit if I didnt like the look of the data on the Garmin. The beach section each time also played a bit part on the pace. Last time I ran this, I was just targeting 4:30 pace because I wasn't motivated to do better, but today I realised the effort in keeping up a decent pace in sand.

At the last turn around point (3/4) I had the option of grabbing a couple of bottles of water, but at the same point last month, I hit this mark in last place to find no water left, so I just opted for one bottle and leave something for whoever was behind me. With the hot weather, I was running this marathon with just 1 litre of water.

On the way back and onto the sand, pace was slipping a bit to the point where one of the miles got to 9:40, but any time the pace was slipping, I was comfortably stepping up the pace. I wasn't out for a PB in this heat today, but as long as I kept sub 4 in sight, it was enough.

With 1.7M to go from the wooden bridge, the last empty bottle was dumped in the bin and with the last stretch ahead, the pace dropped back to sub 8:50 pace for the last bit to finish in 3:53

If this was on Sky Sports, there would be some statistician pointing out that this was the 3rd fastest marathon I'd run. For me, it was the end of probably my longest training week this year and just by putting my mind to it, I comfortably knocked out a relatively good time. There was no proper tapering involved and although I was only 10 minutes outside my PB, I ran the whole thing strongly and comfortably like a training run.

The irony of all this is that by the time the 10 in 10 is finished, the legs will be knackered again and I'll be back to square one, but in the meantime, I'll enjoy the faster running and hopefully do something constructive in Portumna which realistically will be my last chance to do a respectable
    run before I head to SixmileBridge.

Monday - Lunchtime run 5M in 45:13 (9:03 pace, Avg 75% Max HR) Legs felt comfortable

Evening Run, 5M. Started off a bit uneasy and didn't think I was going to get a bit of speed. First three miles was at shaky 9:07 ~ 9:20 but just at I got to start mile 4, the legs felt fresh again and completed the last two miles @ 8:20 pace 5M in 44:34 (8:54 pace Avg 81% Max HR)

• Advertisement

Tuesday - Lunchtime Run - Dropped into Lidl and made the mistake of shopping on an empty stomach and carrying 3kg of stuff in my backpack for the last 2,5M. It was more like a game of Tetris trying to figure out where to cram it all into the pack.
    3.05M in 25 mins on the dot (8:12 miles, Avg 89% Max HR, but also peaked at 125% and that was not because of the girl at the checkout)

Evening Run Phoenix Park - Needed to clock up 7M to round today off at 10M but perhaps shouldn't have scoffed the banana and Red Bull too soon before going for a run. Had to take the first mile handy and pray the junk settled itself down (9:26 pace) then reset the Garmin

After that, I dug into the side trails and despite the odd calls of 'I'm a Banana, Get Me Out Of Here' I managed to hang onto my Park Picnic and keep the pace around the 8 min mark. For the next five miles, pace went

8:30, 8:05, 8:04, 7:54, 7:46

but just coming up to the end of the last mile a red light started flashing on the control panel. When I consulted my user manual, I discovered that the right leg was a bit hurty. Somewhere between the hamstring and IT band region near the top. It was my best mile of the day, so I was fecked if I was pulling up until the Garmin read 5:00M. After a bit of stretching, there were still calls of 'Objection' and 'Just Try It, Sunshine' from the right leg, so I opted for an easy mile (8:58) to bring it up to 6M, making it a total of 10M for today. Ironically, after about 800 yards into the last mile, the pain eased off, but I was damned if I was going to tempt fate and try to pull a sprint out of the hat just to get the last mile pace down.

Me thinks I should do tomorrow's miles at recover pace, just in case I'm burning the candle at both ends a bit too much after Clontarf.
    Evening 1M @ 9:28 then 6M in 49:16 (8:13 pace, Avg 81% max HR)

Advertisement