Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Rumours of my fleeing the country before the 10in10 have been greatly exaggerated. (OK, I did try to get out of the country, but was deported back before I could even crack open the bottle of Duty Free)

Suffered a major taper illness known as LOWLAH (You might remember the Kinks sang a song about it).Basically from Thursday to Saturday LOWLAH kicked in (Lots Of Work, Lazy And Hungover) The Friday Night late night Drinking session playing the game ‘Try to Get the Home brew wine into the Bottle and Cork it Before It Gets into Someone’s Glass’ Went down a treat, but ended up an a rather late night, early morning before heading to the Curragh for the Dubai Derby. But what the heck. I have two 100+ mile weeks ahead of me now, so a couple of days off the running radar was gladly needed.

Sunday – 5M in 46:0 (9:12pace Avg 76% Max HR)

The three days off worked atreat. Legs were as fresh as a Loaf of Brennan’s Bread (But not as soft when you squeeze them)

Three days to go and looking forward to it (although that thought is subject to change on a daily basis. Enthusiasm may fall as well as rise. Terms and Conditions Apply, Always read the label carefully) I have the supplies all ready to be packed and my Fancy Dress outfit for the Monday Marathon is all sorted but will be kept under wraps till the day:confused::confused::confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Very, very best of luck for the 10 in 10, I'm sure you'll keep smiling all the way.
    I expect to see 10 Finish Line "Leap of Faith" photos on Facebook:)

Cheers Marthastew. Not sure I can guarantee the 10 leaps of faith. I'd imagine My celebration jumps would resemble Darwins 'Picture of Evolution' going backwards as each day passes

> This in Reverse.........

%C3%A9volution-1024x556.jpg

Tuesday - Another chance to rest up the legs

Wednesday - 3M run out to Lidl and back, only to be nearly lifted out of it by a car pulling out of a shop car park and not bothered to look left for pedestrians. That would have been the cherry on the cake before tomorrow.

Right, that's as much as I can do. I feel like I've got the leaving cert tomorrow and 10 exams to complete. Feeling in great condition for this and don't think anything extra would have made any significant difference for the races. Mental attitude is the key for the next 10 days because as long as there's no injuries, the legs will carry through the distance regardless of the speed, once the brain says it's ok.

Looking through the logs, I have clocked up 1258 miles this year to get to this point. By Saturday week, I will have added a couple hundered more to it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Best of luck E. Keep us posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

No bother to ya Eamo, the only question now is what costume for day 5?
    I suppose you'll have a little bit of time in between then and now to fully consider that one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck E, ya mad thing!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Best of luck E, not one bother will it be to you! Keep us updated as you go :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Best of Luck with it

belcarra wrote: »
    No bother to ya Eamo, the only question now is what costume for day 5?
    I suppose you'll have a little bit of time in between then and now to fully consider that one!
    It's already bought and packed away. Just be prepared for some very disturbing photos leaked by Edward Snowden before the end of Monday night! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

I'll be seeing ye all down there on Friday evening.
    I decided I have to come down and soak up the atmosphere of one of the 10 in 10 at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Best o luck eammo ,,,,,,,,,,,,rumour has it dat frank gets extremely horny after a Mara,,wtf will he be like on sat,be carful....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Aimman wrote: »
    Just be prepared for some very disturbing photos leaked by Edward Snowden before the end of Monday night! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Sure he will be in the country by then and all! :D

Best of luck!! And don't party too hard for the 6 hours inbetween! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Good Luck Aimman. You'll be fab. Looking forward to all 10 race reports :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

The very best of luck Eamonn. I've no doubt that the race reports x10 will be epic!

belcarra wrote: »
    I'll be seeing ye all down there on Friday evening.
    I decided I have to come down and soak up the atmosphere of one of the 10 in 10 at least!

This Friday, before your WW recce, or next Friday when you are supposed to be tapering for the Belfast 24h? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Best of luck Aimman, hope it goes really well for you. There's a guy from my club doing it too. Mental the lot of ye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RedRunner wrote: »
    Best of luck Aimman, hope it goes really well for you. There's a guy from my club doing it too. Mental the lot of ye!

Must be Dave Brady!!
    Someone once said that if there was a marathon in someone's back garden, Dave would be running it!!

Good luck Aimman. I expect a PB on day 10 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

menoscemo wrote: »
    Must be Dave Brady!!
    Someone once said that if there was a marathon in someone's back garden, Dave would be running it!!

The very one !:)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Must be Dave Brady!!

I expect a pulse on day 10!

Dave Brady is the official reference point in Ireland for a marathon. If you're at the start line and Dave Brady is not there, its a scam. I'll be sharing the house with Dave for the next ten days, so I think these races are legit! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

I expect a pulse on day 10!

Dave Brady is the official reference point in Ireland for a marathon. If you're at the start line and Dave Brady is not there, its a scam. I'll be sharing the house with Dave for the next ten days, so I think these races are legit! :D

Surely you mean the champ eamonn

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Surely you mean the champ eamonn

You're supposed to be in bed Frank. You have a lot of running ahead of you!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

You're supposed to be in bed Frank. You have a lot of running ahead of you!!!!

I was just thinking the same about you Mister Aimman!!!!;)

Younganne wrote: »
    I was just thinking the same about you Mister Aimman!!!!;)

There was some wine left in the homebrew. Couldn't leave it there all on it's own. But off to bed now. Night :D

This Friday, before your WW recce, or next Friday when you are supposed to be tapering for the Belfast 24h? :D

Next Fri would be ridiculous!! This Fri indeed. You guys make simple back to back marathons look mundane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Best of luck. Please change your user name to madman, it's much more appropriate!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Some good pictures of Day 1 here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39020932@N05/sets/72157634484291729/

They all look very fresh it has to be said! Will be interesting to compare day 1 pics with day 10 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Fair play to you Aimman. Ridiculous running! :)

ncmc wrote: »
    Some good pictures of Day 1 here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39020932@N05/sets/72157634484291729/

They all look very fresh it has to be said! Will be interesting to compare day 1 pics with day 10 :pac:

Some great photos there. He missed the leap at the end, but there's a great photo just after it with me and Tom at the finish line.

Marathon 65 - 10 in 10, Day 1

Great start to the event, all 23 participants were presented with their 10in10 tee-shirts.

No major race report, but took it nice and handy. The 13.1M loop is relatively quiet regards traffic. Kept the pace around the 4:30 pace and then in the last 5 miles, I stopped and walked with people I caught up with, just to help the legs rest a bit. with 1M left, I passed Tom who was walking in a bit of pain so I walked with him to the end, finishing in 4:40

Great bit of grub when we eventually got back and then plenty of rest today. Some people are opting for the 3pm early start, but myself and Frank are getting a bit more relaxation before 5pm.

26.3M in 4:40 (10:36 pace)

• Advertisement

The run up to the race was generally slothing around doing as little as possible. Stretched the legs to gauge their condition by taking a walk around a sunny Bunratty. By the time the other lads peeled themselves out of their beds, we headed next door to the pub for a bloody lovely seafood chowder.

Feck that, This isn't the Holiday Show and I'm no Craig Doyle, back to the main stuff

Registration area was a lot more relaxed today. Eight people decided to opt for the 3pm start through injuries
    and probably wanting to spend Friday night in the boozer
    but there were a few new faces joining us for the Friday run.

Graham Whittiker joined us for the second of his back to back runs which was No. 24 and getting ready for No. 25 in Belfast 12h new week. A very calm looking Belcarra sauntered in at the last minute for a pre WWW (Wicklow Way Warm Up) and the legendary Dave Brady was lining up for his 300th marathon..... yes! 300 :eek::eek::eek::eek:

After yesterday's 4:40, the plan was to take it easy again. Yesterday, I took a bottle of water at every 3M water stop and a SIS isotonic gel at 9M, 19M and 22M (didn't really need the last one, but just passed the time for a few seconds). I wanted to run all the first half, then as I'd enter the large 10M loop for the 2nd time, walk the hilly bits to keep the effort on the legs to a minimum. It was too difficult trying to keep the HR in the recovery zone because it was all over the place. Dont know if it was a connection thing or just the body was trying to cope with day 2 halfway to repairing all the damage from Day 1.

It was a warm day, so hydration was key. The only significant things about the first 16M is that I took a gel at mile 9 and picked up a Lucozade Sport at the halfway point. so I'll fast forward to 16M like you'd skip through the ads watching Star Trek Next Generation on Sky Plus. :D

At the 16M water station I had met up with the Real 300, Dave Brady (Sorry Gerard Butler, you needed CGI to look like a warrior, Dave ran at least 7860 marathon mile to earn it) We walk/Ran for a mile or so just for a bit of a chat but I was still full of beans and didn't want to walk until the hills appeared so I pushed on and cranked up the MP3 player.

My apologies to anyone in the 5M vicinity. There's a saying, 'If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one around to hear it, does it make a sound?' Well, in Clare, although there was on one to hear it, when I started singing, I was making all sorts of noises that no one ever heard before!

Today was a good day and I was running a lot stronger than I was planning, averaging 10:04 pace which would bring me in just over 4:20. I didn't realise until a good bit into the race that I wasn't slowing down for the hills. At the 19M water station, I ditched the Lucozade I finished sipping but declined the need to take a gel, just didn't feel like I needed it.

Shortly afterwards, I caught up with RunningCoach who took the 3pm start becuse of an injury and despite walking, was in a very positive mental frame of mind. I walked with him for a bit for a chat and then pushed on.

At the 22M water station, the cupboard was bare but ten feet after I passed it, a jeep pulled up and handed me a bottle and stocked up the table, great timing. I thought about taking the 2nd gel but still didn't feel like I needed it, anyway, there was only 4M left.

with 2M to go, I could feel things starting to slow down a bit, but at that point, I don't think taking a gel would make much difference by the time it kicked in but in the distance, I seen one of the housemates, Steve Gibson and the boiler inside was lit again (not in a Brokeback Mountain kind of way). At the 25M mark I went past him and but the time I got to 26M I had done my fastest mile of the race, 9:00 and kept going to finish 4:25

Both days, the route came in at 26:4M.

After a protein shake and massage, it was time to head back to the house for one of Johnny's famous lasagne and a couple of weissbiers as part of the extended recovery plan ;)

Day 2 - 26.4M in 4:25 (9:58 pace)

We've already had one pull out from the 10in10. Conor had a bad day 1 race with just a couple of miles to go, and when I met him at mile 7 on Day 2, he was walking with a leg injury and didn't fancy the next 20M ahead of him. Now we are 22 contestants.

Day 3 is going to be a warmer one, particularly with the weekend start time of 2pm. Salts are going to be the one to watch on the day.

Advertisement