Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

You sound to be in great spirits Eamonn which I'd say is half the battle. Keep it up. Inspiring stuff going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I'm just getting caught up on all your reports. :eek: Holy crap!!! You really are doing this thing!! I'm in awe....well done you!! Looking forward to the remaining reports...and hoping you'll score a date with the redhead. ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Meanwhile, back in Groundhog Day, Everyone was lining up for the next marathon. People got excited about the appearance of fluffy white things in the sky, but it wasn't enough to cool the temperatures.

Johnny's support team came out to cheer him on, so the Start line was a bit busier than usual.

From the start, I was running comfortable 9:40 - 10:30 miles.There was nothing particularly different to the other days running. I was taking the salt tablets every hour thereabouts, One gel at 9M, but I was easing off on the amount of fizzy drinks and ice pops.

Came in Halfway at 2:13 and picked up a cold Lucozade and the MP3 player. On the way out of the town, I just got a bit fed up running and walked the whole of mile 15 and then took up the pace a bit more.

Last few miles were plodding along at 10:30-11:30 pace until I spotted the Chairman of the UK 100 marathon club ahead and the competitive streak came out. The speed was gradually going up and as I passed him, I was convinced he was gaining back on me and I ran like the clappers. Last three miles went 9:37, 9:09, 8:12 :eek:

Needless to say, I enjoyed the rub down after that finish. Two more to do, and it's all over. :-)

26.4 in 4:39 (10:35 pace)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Aimman wrote: »
    Two more to do, and it's all over. :-)

"its never over,theres always somthin effin else".......mrs um1

Day nine - Almost there

For me today, this race had the same feeling as the last day of a summer holiday. The bags are packed and throwing into that room behind reception waiting for the airport coach to arrive, you're trying to relax on a sun lounger in your half 'summer' / half 'wear something warm for when you get off the plane in Dublin' clothes and you can't get back into the holiday mood. Couple of people in the house have gone home and one of the others stopped running a few days ago to get back to full energy to run on the 10th day. There was a noted lack of enthusiasm and motivation in the air.

After the now customary pre race preparation ritual, which I think I can do blindfolded now, like an Army Private can strip down and reassemble a rifle in 30 seconds I got to the registration area which was sparse as more people are opting for the early start because their times were getting slower.

When we started, I quickly found myself in last place and resolved to shuffle along. Don't get me wrong, I was in good spirits but because tomorrow was the last day and brings with it the hype of everybody showing up to share in the last run and the celebrations, Day 9 was like the big anticlimax before it all kicks off tomorrow and I just wanted today to be over so I could start soaking up the atmosphere in Day 10.

One if the BMOH guys was just planning to do 6 miles, but when I seen him hiding in a car at mile 4, I embarrassed the guy into joining me for a bit longer. It was good to have Mike along as it took my mind off things and just chat for a while.

I cheered myself up as we were approaching a bunch of girls offering refreshment by drowning the front of Mike's shorts with a bottle of water leaving him to explain himself to them when we were getting some fizzy drinks. Yeah, it's childish, but we had a great laugh and lifted our spirits. Mike decided to stay with me until half way (I was a bit weary he was plotting revenge) and at mile 9 we passed Shane at the water station.

By the time we hit halfway in 2:18, the finishing Gantry was already up so I told Mike to run ahead and do a celebration jump over the finish. I gave him an 8.5 (he lost marks for having wet shorts)

For the second loop, the earphones went on and just for a treat, I even plugged them into the MP3 player :D

At mile 16 I passed a day runner nursing a blister with vaseline but just before mile 19 he caught back up with me and we ran together until we got passed Steve Gibson and then he drifted ahead with less than 3 miles to go.

The last couple of miles were more or less the same as every other night, but I didn't have the same mad sprint finish as yesterday, I was happy enough just finishing comfortably and throwing in the obligatory jump at the end. Finishing in 4:50

After a couple of protein drinks and a good massage, the legs were not feeling too bad, but the Achilles is still a bit tender and after tomorrow, I'll have to spend a bit of time giving it some TLC before the Belfast 24 hour race next week (JUST KIDDING)

So it looks like day 10 is finally here and going to be another hot sunny day. I got a message from a friend that the good weather only came for the 10in10 and would I do another one straight away to make the most out of the summer weather. I can't print my response here :eek::D

Looking forward to all the other runners and familiar faces showing up today for the finale.

26.4 in 4:50 (11:00 pace)

• Advertisement

It was like waking up on Christmas Morning when I woke up and was convinced I could hear santa's sleigh still on the roof, but it was the medals hanging from the curtain rail blowing in the breeze like a wind chime......

Nah. I can't even get away with that bit of waxing lyrical, there was no bloody breeze, just the sun with his hat on again hip hip hip horray!!! ***insert sarcastic emoticon here***)

It was all kicking off for the finale. Ally and UM1 arrived in time to help clean up the house and a friend who was on holiday in Galway was passing through Bunratty on her way back to Cork and dropped in to wish me luck.

Pulling into the car park, there was an electric buzz of activity with a large contingency of Marathon Club Ireland members and the like showing up to take part in race No. 10.

In for a cent, in for a Euro (hmmm.... that updated phrase doesn't have the same impact) so when the gun went off, I made a dash for the front and held top place for the first 400m. Then like every professional pacer in the London Marathon, the time came to pull back and give the speedy guys a chance to lead the pack.

Shuffling along nicely for the first half, I felt full of beans and since early on in this event, I never bothered looking at my watch to see what the pace was. Today was a good day. I was out there with the front(ish) of the field running just sub 8:30 miles, wouldn't it be funny if I got a PB? Eight miles in and I could feel myself starting to slow up slightly, so I thought I'd just check to see what the pace was up to now before it gets lost in the overall stats (9:20 pace :() It was nowhere near 8:30, so much for using biometrics to judge pace. Regardless, I wasn't out to break a record, just finish strong and soak up all the memorabilia for the last couple of laps. Just after mile 10, I noticed that Anto's 'Never Fail' plasters had suffered a wardrobe malfunction and I looked like I just guzzled a sloppy kebab with extra tomato sauce at 4am coming out of Coppers.

There was nothing to do but bite the bullet, throw caution to the wind and do something I have never done in my entire life. the top came off and was tucked into the gel belt and I was running as nature intended (well, almost ;)) At this point I would like to extend my sincere apologies and sympathies to all the residents of Sixmilebridge and Kilmurray. In my mind when I run, I have the well toned hairy chest of John Hamm from MadMen. For everyone else in the real world, I'm a sight for blind eyes. :eek::eek::eek:

Unlike all the 5pm starts, the 2pm start meant all our favourite shady spots were not there, but at this stage all the 10in10 runners knew how to handle the course. I think at this point we could drive a rally car at high speed blindfolded around the course and not even brush up against a hedge once. It was another matter, watching the day visitors belt off with the best intentions and soon after, find them hunched over a wall or clambering into the back of a car to avail of Satan's temptations of Cold drinks, Air Conditioning and a free lift back to the finish.

Coming into the town, I quickly donned the running singlet and when I got to the car, threw it against the door to let it stick there for a while and dry out while I nabbed a backup and tucked it into the belt for later. At this point in all the other races, I've armed myself with the MP3 player but today I wanted to just enjoy the rest of the course enjoying the sounds of the country instead of polluting my eardrums with the best of Chesney Hawks and Michael Bolton (The best double A side single I every bought, please note ;))

Back out the town and I was tipping along nicely, only to find I was gradually overtaking people, Jonny99 and Steve Gibson were among the 10in10 people and a few day trippers.

At the Redhead station Ice cream and cold drinks station just before mile 22, I found UM1 (aka, let's smash out a PB today) lingering around a bit longer than usual asking for ice lollies from the bottom of the freezer ;)

The last four miles were run very comfortably. I let UM1 go ahead to save face by being beaten my a guy who did 10 consecutive marathons, (nah, he was grand, just would have been too much effort to keep up) and in the last straight, the top went on and I got ready for the big jump. What better way to end a 10in10 but with ten jumps up to the finish line.

Finished the run in 4:36

loved every minute of the 10in10, and not just in a retrospective hated it then, but love it now. There was no bad points. There was a bit of a wobble when the Achilles got knackered and you might have gathered that I was a bit off from yesterday's run, but that was just anxious about being so close to the end. It was completely different to what I was expecting but the legs held out and kept going and never let me down.

Just want say a big thanks to all organisers, volunteers, participants and even the locals who chipped in off their own initiative to help us all get through this during the hottest days in God knows how many years. And to Ally who's had the patience of an angel.

Time to put the feet up for a little while and rest the Achilles and figure out a new name for the log.

photo1
    photo2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

That's a great performance for a tenth marathon on the bounce!

Chapeau

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You. Totally. Rock. :D
    Amazing stuff there - adventure, intrigue, and romance all rolled into an entire sitcom season condensed into ten days. What a downer tomorrow will be for all us "groupies", but, alas, well done to you, and what a brilliant series of humorously written reports. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Legend :D Huge congrats

Chesney Hawkes...."Aimmo the one and only...." ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Fantastic performance Aimman. Well done! Really enjoyed your reports the last few days. Enjoy the well deserved rest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Well done Eamonn, I'll miss your race reports :( I've said it before, but not only was it a great achievement in a physical sense, but your race reports have all been so upbeat and full of good humour and you ended each day with a smile on your face. You never let tiredness or pain dull your good spirits and that is most impressive of all.

Hope it's not too much of a shock to the system to get back to work and away from your boys pad!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Great job Eamonn- I really began looking forward to your daily updates as the week went on- sad they are over now.
    Fantastic achievement and you must be so proud of having dug all 10 out to the end despite the dodgy Achilles
    Hats off to you on a great feat of endurance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Well done Eamonn, fantastic achievement. I've loved reading your reports. You have some mental strength to go out day after day in this heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

What an Epic journey. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences here and congratulations on a fantastic achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Amazing stuff, Eamonn. Really enjoyed reading all about the 10 day epic! The tough weather conditions and foot issues just add to the magnitude of your achievement. Well done, and rest up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Superb. Epic. Tired?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Very well done, congratulations. Must have been very tough in the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jonny99

Ok. The lowdown on Aimman and the redhead.

A date is being considered!!!!!!

It'll be mid-september at least though,partly because

a)Aimman cant face sixmilebridge for a while and

b) Her dad says she'll have to wait for the Junior cert results first:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Fantastic running & reports, huge congratulations! You've almost run more marathons in the last 10 days then I've done in my life I think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Aimman wrote: »
    I I noticed that Anto's 'Never Fail' plasters had suffered a wardrobe malfunction
    ur gonna have shave ur nipples.....

• Advertisement

jonny99 wrote: »
    Ok. The lowdown on Aimman and the redhead.

A date is being considered!!!!!!

It'll be mid-september at least though,partly because

a)Aimman cant face sixmilebridge for a while and

b) Her dad says she'll have to wait for the Junior cert results first:D:D:D:D

That soon? I thought it was October, excellent, I'll have to brush up on my Justin Bebo and Juan Direction LP's.
    ultraman1 wrote: »
    ur gonna have shave ur nipples.....

That's for another forum Anto ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Seriously impressive Aimman (and just a little nuts :rolleyes:). Really enjoyed your reports. Weather a bit dull today - maybe you should start again ........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on a wonderful and fantastic achievement and all done in such high spirits. The reports all give a sense that is was such a "normal" thing to do but only the mildly insane brave & strong could do that so Congrats & Well done.:D

Now enjoy the R&R and the home brew;) and get the Achills sorted.

Legend!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Christ that's some achievement Aimman, a marathon a day in that heat is ridiculous running. I also have to agree that the race reports were excellent - how you kept your spirits up is really brilliant. Fair play.

I was hoping to reply to each of the comments above, but I am overwhelmed with the amount of responses, both during and after the race. So to everyone, thank you all so much for your support and encouragement and making the 10in10 that bit extra special.

Glad you like the reports, Doing the same thing over and over made it difficult to make each day different so it helped me to break up the repetitive days by looking at each day from a different angle.

Iching to get back on the road again, but I'm going to give the Achilles a couple more days to HTFU. It's typical, My last two weeks were my highest mileage ever (113 & 159) and this week will probably be my lowest.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Big, big congrats to you E. Did Clontarf on Saturday morning and was buckled for the day after it. A friend was saying i was mad so I found myself telling a friend about your 10 in 10. You can guess the reaction!!

I don't know how you could do such a challenge in that heat but major kudos.

You the MAN:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Hows the recovery going? How many crunchies consumed? :pac:

blockic wrote: »
    Hows the recovery going? How many crunchies consumed? :pac:

Recovery has been a bit strange. Took a new approach to a reverse taper

Sunday - Nothing

Monday
    - Still Nothing

Tuesday - Nothing with Nada Intervals

Wednesday - Decided to double the intensity and did nothing for twice as long

Thursday - won first price in the 5k to Couch training program

Friday - Thank Crunchie it's Friday again, but couldn't be bothered to go out and buy one, that would have exerted too much energy

Saturday - Cross Training carrying boxes up and down stairs for about 26 hours

Sunday - Melted in the sun. I now look like this
    skin-tan.jpg

So from my highest mileage week to my lowest of zero miles, time to dig out the runners

Monday - Found a pair of runners that looked wrecked and ancient. I wondered how I didn't throw them out when I had my Runner Amnesty last year, then I realised they were one of my current pairs (only have 2) and the 10in10 aged them so much, David Dickenson would be convinced they were from the Victorian Era. Mind you, I think he was also out in the sun this weekend
    David-Dickinson-Real-Deal.jpg

Went our for an easy 5k, which is just as well because it nearly killed me. The breathing was off, legs were like 'WTF???? Here we go again:mad:' and I was being overtaken by grannies joyriding snails.

Tuesday - 4M along the canal. Pace was a little bit more respectable but still a bit shy of getting a speeding ticket.

Wednesday
    - Thought a 4M out and back to a shop at lunchtime would be handy enough. I felt like I was out for two hours getting there and back, time stood still.

I had the impression I was going to be like this

But in reality I was this

There's a strange clicking from my Right Hamstring. Finding it hard to extend the leg out too far without feeling something click or move suddenly. Must be just a knot somewhere which the hamstring is rolling over once it's stretched. Might just need to massage it out or bite the bullet and make my very first Physio appointment

Bad News.... Following the 10in10, I had a surprise visit this morning for Drug Testing. They found excessive levels of Beers, Cider, Homemade Wine, Macdonalds, Chinese Takeaways and several banned sugar/tasty comfort foods that I indulged in over the last week.:o

Good News... Final results are out and I got 8th out of 23 for the 10in10. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Belated congratulations Ainman, unbelievable achievement and in those conditions in that heat as well.

My wife and kids think you are mental..........but I know it for a fact!

Well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Best post ever! Loved the polar bear, that's me at the moment.

Advertisement