Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Aimman wrote: »
    Marathon No. 95 will be Longford which I think I have run the whole route more times during training sessions for Ultras than the actual marathon race. Two and a half weeks should be enough time to get race ready... Shouldn't it??? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Good to see you sticking to the 10% per week rule...You just need to start at about 20 miles!
    Actually, shouldn't you be tapering at this stage!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Welcome back Aimman! Coincidently, I pulled on the trainers for the first time today too, although my absence was significantly longer than yours :) It wasn't fast and it certainly wasn't pretty, but it's good to be back all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

belcarra wrote: »
    Good to see you sticking to the 10% per week rule...You just need to start at about 20 miles!

He is following the DCM Pacer Kings Program. Taper begins 12 hours before the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

blockic wrote: »
    When is 100th pencilled in for?
    I have a bit of a wait. I decided to do Athens in November and to the original Marathon route from Marathon to Athens to finish in the old Olympic Stadium. Seemed to be apropriate.
    belcarra wrote: »
    I'm envoking the reverse taper rule and will be patienting my 'couch to marathon in 2 weeks' plan afterwards
    ncmc wrote: »
    Welcome back Aimman! Coincidently, I pulled on the trainers for the first time today too, although my absence was significantly longer than yours :) It wasn't fast and it certainly wasn't pretty, but it's good to be back all the same!
    Welcome back ncmc. You had a reason, I just have lots of excuses. :rolleyes:
    ger664 wrote: »
    He is following the DCM Pacer Kings Program. Taper begins 12 hours before the race.
    I reckon by the time I get to DCM, I'll be race fit for the 4:40 pacing band. :eek:

Another 5M run at lunchtime. Getting the hang of this running stuff.

• Advertisement

Once again, 5M at lunchtime. Thats about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Get ur own log writing style

ultraman1 wrote: »

Once I get sponsorship, I'll be able to afford more words.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Nah, his post was way too verbose. But if he had written this:

Thurs...lunchtime...5.
    Dat's bout it.

then you'd have a serious case of style stealing. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Nah, his post was way too verbose. But if he had written this:

Thurs...lunchtime...5.
    Dat's bout it.

then you'd have a serious case of style stealing. ;)

You were doing so well until you included that apostrophe in the correct place DD.. Anto hasn't completed finishing school yet; that level of punctuation skill isn't provided until final semester.. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

and she only posted it once:)

3 x bans...and wtf does verbuse mean

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

;) Verbose!! Means "too wordy".

And as CL and RayCun pointed out so nicely, you're actually quite a complex man with that complicated style. Sort of sounds kind of sexy, and all that. ;):)

(did I get my ban lifted??)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    ;) Verbose!! Means "too wordy".

And as CL and RayCun pointed out so nicely, you're actually quite a complex man with that complicated style. Sort of sounds kind of sexy, and all that. ;):)

(did I get my ban lifted??)

The two of you, get a chat room!

Saturday, pacing duties for parkrun. 5k in 29:56. Not many verbose people running with me.

3 x bans...and wtf does verbuse mean

Verbuse is the shortened version of Verbal Abuse. Best describes a woman's reaction when one falls in the door at 2am singing the chorus to the Proclaimer's '500 miles'.

If the girl you sneak back with you is singing the harmonies, you experience physbuse, followed by a very long sleep over in the dog house.

Sunday - New Laptop / New Cloud backup thingy - Same old "What the f**k is is doing now?!!!" trying to set it up, distracted me from doing me valuable long run in the torrential rain.:rolleyes:

Monday - 4M along the canal, 2 miles into a nasty headwind, 2 miles turning back going weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee all the way back.

Wednesday
    About 4M at lunchtime with Fartleck session thrown in just to annoy the body. Have been ignoring the gym for the last few weeks so back there for a session on the weights in the evening.

Thursday. 4.6M before breakfast. Cant remember the last time I did a morning run. The legs thought they were sleepwalking.

Have u a phobia about 5 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

claralara wrote: »
    You were doing so well until you included that apostrophe in the correct place DD.. Anto hasn't completed finishing school yet; that level of punctuation skill isn't provided until final semester.. ;)

She lives! or is it digger? a pure guessing game!

Have u a phobia about 5 miles
    So far, the plan is to run the first 5M, thereabouts in Longford, and bluff the rest

Edit for today's log.....

Did an unexpected speed session along half of the Bray promenade this afternoon running to the car in the lashing rain while holding a gelato ice cream cone. Looked like a manic impression of an olympic torch carrier during monsoon season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

So far, the plan is to run the first 5M, thereabouts in Longford, and bluff the rest

Edit for today's log.....

Did an unexpected speed session along half of the Bray promenade this afternoon running to the car in the lashing rain while holding a gelato ice cream cone. Looked like a manic impression of an olympic torch carrier during monsoon season.

I love the ice cream from that place., up near the aquarium. What flavour did you go for? I have a very nice mango there the other day. Thankfully the sun was shining that day though.

RedRunner wrote: »
    I love the ice cream from that place., up near the aquarium. What flavour did you go for? I have a very nice mango there the other day. Thankfully the sun was shining that day though.
    I went for a half and half, but ended up one third white chocolate, one third cookie and one third rain water.

Early morning rise, 10M run with some nasty hills. The hills were for Dingle, the 10M was to mark the tapering off for Longford. :-o

Bit of a speed session today. 6 laps around a gaa ground in Bluebell at lunchtime with a bit of a breather after each lap. Definitely no records broken during it.

Wednesday - 6M Unintentional Progressive run in Galway City to Salthill. Pace started at 8:50 and gradually built up to 8:20. Not a spectacular increase but a good indication that the fitness level is getting back on track. 1M cool down afterwards

Thursday - 5k recovery run around Galway docks and pier.

Saturday - Waterstown parkrun to get the legs ready for Longford. Took it handy to finish in 26:17. HAd to resist the temptation to speed up and race it.

Sunday - Marathon 95 - Longford
    I was worried about this becuase of the time gap fromthe last marathon and serious lack of training since. The plan was to get half way and then damage limitation. Expected to finish 4:45 - 5:00
    I've been on the butter coffee plan for a couple of weeks so I experimented with just taking that this morning without any breakfast and see how far the body could run before I needed gels. Without turning this into a lengthy race report, I was delighted with the outcome. I started off around 4:10 pace and by halfway I was going a lot better than I expected. Pace felt like it had dropped off a bit, but I refused to look at the watch to see my progress. I ended up not looking for any gels, but I did have three small cups of energy drink and a couple of biscuits on the route (along with the usualy water). I spent the last 20M slowly passing out people and only two people passed me by for those miles. One woman fromthe Jack and Jill, and Jonny99 who came from nowhere on a mission to catch up with the 4:15 pacer.

I found the last mile tough, because it just seemed to take forever to get back into the town and becuase I was running well and didn't need to stop or walk, I just wanted it over before I felt the need to. There were a lot of walkers in the last 5M, I was surprised to see so many suffling along at that stage.

I finished in 4:18. You wouldn't believe my excitement when I turned the last corner and seen I was well under the 4:30 and wouldn't have to break into any extra effort to get sub 4:20. Gobsmacked!

So that's me taught a lesson. I was expecting hell and I got a great race and legs held out and nicely recovered now. Similar thing happened in Connemara Ultra this year after lack of training and had a great finial 13.1M, so perhaps I should just keep eating and drinking to improve! lol.

Dingle marathon is next and I'll try the butter coffee approach again with some standby gels, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Nice work Aimman :D

Bleugh to your butter coffee diet though. AKW is on that as well ...... ye're both mad :eek:

Nice work Aimman :D

Bleugh to your butter coffee diet though. AKW is on that as well ...... ye're both mad :eek:
    Sounds gross, but it's working at the moment. Just tastes like a creamy latte. I'll give it a bit longer and see how I get on.

All I want to do is look like a Greek God before Athens (as opposed a large tub of Greek Yoghurt! haha)

Alright, today's the day I'm jump starting my log again to document my training for the sub 3 marathin in Cork.

Wednesday 1st, 4 miles along Salthill, eyeballs out @ 10:20 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Alright, today's the day I'm jump starting my log again to document my training for the sub 3 marathin in Cork.

Wednesday 1st, 4 miles along Salthill, eyeballs out @ 10:20 pace.

Hope this is not an April fools prank - welcome back :)

kit3 wrote: »
    #runningisyoursuperpower

• Advertisement

kit3 wrote: »

Me? Prank? :eek:

Advertisement