Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Aimman wrote: »
    10.8M recovery run[/B]

:eek: Since when is 11 miles a recovery run?! Even for someone who runs 50 miles that's LONG...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

xebec wrote: »
    :eek: Since when is 11 miles a recovery run?! Even for someone who runs 50 miles that's LONG...

Well, according to the P&D program, there should have been a 6M recovery run yesterday morning and a 4M recovery run in the evening.

Today was a VO2 run of 11M with 6 x 1000M intervals at 5k pace.

Seeing as I missed yesterdays run, I 'adapted' the training plan and made a 10M recovery run today and feck the VO2, cos I was tired. Ended up a little more then 10M because of the route i took, :D

Ran 5 miles on the road in a terrible time that's between me and the Garmin. I'm convinced there's something wrong with the gearbox.

Went to the gym to do some core & upper body work and threw in another mile on the treadmill @ 8:00 pace just to remind the legs what they should be doing.

Summary to date

Month|Miles
    January|170
    February|250
    March|254
    April|128
    May|199
    June|108
    July|134
    August|201
    September|165
    Total|1609

It was a bad end to September and a worse start to October, but back on the road again. Not any decent long runs since the start of September and pissed off about missing the Cork to Cobh yesterday. Now I feel like I have to cram for an exam, but that's the worse thing to do, so not sure what time to aim for in DCM.

5.1M in 45 mins (8:50 pace)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

It was a bad end to September and a worse start to October, but back on the road again. Not any decent long runs since the start of September and pissed off about missing the Cork to Cobh yesterday. Now I feel like I have to cram for an exam, but that's the worse thing to do, so not sure what time to aim for in DCM.

5.1M in 45 mins (8:50 pace)

3.45:D

• Advertisement

Haven't done any real distances since Dingle and its surprising how quickly the body forgets. Took a half day off today to knock out a 20M run, as it was probably the last opportunity I'd get.

Glorious day. Armed with the mp3 player and go faster shades I headed off for a major loop of the south-side taking in the canal and sandymount beach. Headed off at race pace for the first 5 miles (about 8:30), which I knew was a bit ambitious for the whole thing, but the sunshine made me do it.

After 10 miles, still felt good and I settled down to a decent average LSR pace of 9:15. The last half of the run took in the climbs out of Seapoint through Deans Grange and up the Foxrock road and on to Stillorgan, so the pace dropped off over that stretch.

By mile 15 I was feeling tired and going further then my longest run since Dingle and could feel it. Over the last 5 miles, I could feel the legs giving out and started having doubts of setting any PB in Dublin, as I'd still have another 6M to bang out beyond this. It's Rookie thoughts, but I think Dingle took more out of me then I thought, especially pushing a PB in the half marathon and Rathfarnham 5k since then, haven't really done the right work for Dublin. Not making excuses, just realising there would have been better ways to train. I'll still do my best in DCM ;)

Not sure about doing the Tarmonbarry Half on Sunday. I'll probably get carried away and race it, but I'll wait till the day to decide. Might review my taper plan for the last three weeks too.

Ops, sorry, ended up as a sort of race report for an LSR,

20M in 3:19 ( 9:58 pace taking in the fall off in the last 10 miles) HR avg 139

Today's plan, 6M Recovery with 6 x 100M strides.

According to Macmillan, my recovery runs should be around 9:46 to 10:46 min miles. I kept the pace around 10min/miles. Was difficult without wanting to speed up during the full 6M.

Then the Strides. Read in one of the threads about running the 100M strides along the diagonals of a football pitch and recovering along the short side. Decided to give it a go. The Diagonals were on average, 120 metres, was hard to make out the other corner with the lines hard to see and no corner flags.

Strides Pace min/mile (120M)
    1. 5:55
    2. 6:25
    3. 6:49
    4. 6:10
    5. 6:16
    6. 5:55

Haven't really dabbled a lot in strides, which is my own fault, but felt good during them, Will have a few more opportunities to do more before DCM but the plan doesn't seem to go beyond 100M during the taper, so probably missed the boat for making the most of them.

The niggles from the 20M run seemed to have ironed themselves out during the recovery. :D

6:73M including strides 1:05:48 (9:47 pace)

Eamonn see you in the 3.45 group in Dublin. Have your €20 ready:D

lol, didn't realise there was a price for pacing. Do I get my money back if I end up over 3:46 :D

lol, didn't realise there was a price for pacing. Do I get my money back if I end up over 3:46 :D

Yeah you can have it back if you can catch me. So no:D

• Advertisement

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Yeah you can have it back if you can catch me. So no:D

Do you take IOUs?:)

Should have a better idea tomorrow if the legs are back to normal.

5M recovery today in the sunshine. Nice afternnon for running. Just took it slow and easy.

5M in 49mins (9:49 pace)

Little bit miffed over this race. Not because of the organisation, but because of the little bit of technology strapped to the wrist that I was relaying on.

I decided to try strictly adhering to pace for the whole race, as opposed to belting out way too fast, convinced I can keep it up all the way, then crashing half way around and watching the the PB and time slip away uncontrollably. Also abandoned the water belt and didn't pack an emergency gel either.

I shouldn't really be racing today, but didn't fancy handing out €20 just to do a medium training run, even if it was cheap. I wanted my money's worth. It's tight to say which has more hills, Dublin or Tarmonbarry, but I would say there's more work to be done on the Tarmonbarry hills, so a PB might be difficult. Either way, I wanted a crack at 1:45:xx before Dublin. According to the Garmin, if I keep an average of 8:00 min miles, it's in the bag.

Met W.B. Yeats at the starting line and got him to join me at the front of the starting line for the group starting photo.

Starting out, it was probably the first time I had my toe on the starting line as the whistle blew. The first mile was about 7:38 and felt good, but I promptly slowed back a bit in the second mile and my lap pace was bang on 8min miles. For the first 6 miles, I maintained average 8 min miles comfortably. Lost a little pace at the first hill but put the foot down when we got the downhill on the N5 before the turn off to Scramogue where the big hill was waiting. Here, the pace dropped back to 8:44 for the 7th mile, but mad up the time afterwards.

At mile 10, the time was 1:20:43 so I hit my unofficial PB at that point. Had a bit of banter with a couple of lads who were passing me and me passing them etc during the race, but at mile 8, I was in a comfortable rhythm and no one else was getting past me for the rest of the race.

After mile 10, I had to wake up, as the body was starting to slacken off, happy with the 10 mile pb and had to focus on the last 3 miles. Pace at this point was around 8:05 and according to my maths, was enough to come in sub 1:46

In the last couple of miles, I felt a bit guilty catching up on people and overtaking them so close to the finish. I know it deflates me a bit if someone whizzes past me so close to the end, but in the last mile, a look over the shoulder and I knew there was not going to be a challenge on my final position. I gained a decent gap on the people behind me.

Happy enough with my 8:05 pace for this half, I was gutted when I approached the finish line and the clock was reading 1:46:24, where did I go wrong? I'm no Carol Vordaman with maths, but I should have been on for a sub 1:46. Turns out that the Garmin registered 13:17 miles, which explains the extra half minute.

I'm not putting it down to the length of the course. I know the Garmin can be a bit out compared to the route, but It was my dependence on the watch that gave me a false sense of security. Maybe I could have tried a bit harder during a couple of miles to make sure I got the 1:45:xx, who knows, but I was relying on the Garmin to get me in on 1:45:xx

But on a more positive note. I am really happy with my control of my pace. I set out to hit a certain pace and I kept to it. When I lost time, I was able to make it up when I could, but I didn't start off too fast and watch the pace slip away as the race went on, so it was a great confidence boost to discipline myself and realise the benefits of regulating the pace for the whole race and I didn't feel tired or uncomfortable. Splits were as follows

1 7:38
    2 8:01
    3 8:00
    4 7:54
    5 8:29 (hill)
    6 8:06
    7 8:44 (big hill)
    8 7:52
    9 8:02
    10 7:58
    11 8:21
    12 8:14
    13 7:55
    13.1 7:04 (for last 0.17 miles according to Garmin)

13.1M in 1:46:24 (8:05 pace) Missed the PB by 4 seconds compared to Dublin

Learned a lesson today Aimman, the Garmin is just a tool and not to be relied on solely to give your pace. The best plan is always a pace band used in conjunction with accurate mile markers - if you can hit all these bang on 8:00 then you should get 1:45.

What I've learned for times where I'm relying on the Garmin is to allow a certain amount of leeway each mile to account for the inaccuracy - typically 4-5 seconds - so going for 8:00/miles I'd be looking for roughly 7:55/mile on the Garmin.

Well done on the performance today, another great half in the bag! Pity you were so close to the PB, but that'll fall no bother the next time you do one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Unlucky Aimman, good effort.
    It just goes to show that the Garmin is limited in it's use. I find it good to set 'av lap pace' and make sure you are running each mile to target pace... but after that the Garmin is only useful as a stopwatch (in conjunction with a pacing band) when it comes to trying to hit your target in a longer race.
    A Garmin mile is not the same as a mile on the course and after 13 the difference is usually fairly substantial. You'll get that PB next time.

Edit: I posted that before seeing xebecs reply. Great minds and all that :pac: :cool:

Cheers guys,

The race was a success in terms of pacing and disciplining myself. I didn't start out too fast, so was able to finish stronger and better then in some other races. Only thing about pacing bands is to remember to check it and your time as you pass by the markers, something else for me to remember in the race. :p

Now I should be able to taper better for the next two weeks because I didn't overdo it , but maintained a decent pace throughout.

Maybe the 3:45 is in sight. ;)

Yeah deffo 3.45. You wont have to do anything in Dublin, just run:D

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Extraordinary Eamonn, fantastic result with minimal preparation. There is a PB(weather permitting) in Dublin waiting for you. Well done you dynamo.:)

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Yeah deffo 3.45. You wont have to do anything in Dublin, just run:D

Well, If I can do today again a bit longer, I should be able to keep 8:30 pace for the 26.2M
    AJCOT wrote: »
    Extraordinary Eamonn, fantastic result with minimal preparation. There is a PB(weather permitting) in Dublin waiting for you. Well done you dynamo.:)

Cheers AJ, I know I said I wouldn't do the race last Thursday, but I just had to. I was drawn to the start line. It was the force, I felt it! :-)

On the cards today was 8M general aerobic with 10 x 100m strides. Was running the first 7.5M comfortably at 8:50 overall pace and had to hold back, because I didnt want to go too fast, wanted to stay slower than PMP. went faster then PMP in a couple of the miles, but overall average was 8:50

Strides were done on the football pitches again, about 120M diagonals. Pace for the strides were averaging 6:25 and again felt quite comfortable.

By the time I finished and ran to the car, ended up being a 9M run

9M in 1:18:58 (8.47 pace avg including the strides, HR avg 138)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

Getting back to the Garmin. Any half I have done has alway measured over the 13.1 and it is sometimes over the 13.2.
    I would only use the Garmin as a guide to pace and check off the actual time on each mile marker. I have somtimes set it to race 13.2 and then tried to stay ahead of the virtual partner as I know that that should keep me ahead of my target time.
    Its always frustrating when you miss out on a best time by a few seconds though. Especially when you see the finish line clock with a different time to what you expected.

Thats a good idea, setting it for 13.2M with the virtual runner. I really set out on the day to keep the pace steady and not go hell for leather for the start. I wanted to see if I could maintain a steady pace throughout and feel better at the end of it. I wasnt expecting to be close to a PB because of the course profile, so I was thinking on my feet (literally) and working out the maths during the race to get me in early when things were going good. Too much trouble trying to think about all the variable and still put one foot in front of the other at the same time :D

Handy 4M recovery scheduled today for lunchtime. Have neglected the marathon hills in Chapelizard and Inchicore for a while since the Canal route was opened, so went to pay my respects before the big day.

4.2M in 42:26 (9:39 pace)

5 miler at lunchtime. Was supposed to be a slow recovery run, but life was too short. Surprised to find out that my fastest mile was the stretch of marathon route that had the hills at Chapolizard and Inchicore @ 8 min/mile, and yes, it was uphill, not downhill :p

Felt good and enjoyed the run without overdoing it. Enjoyed listening to the Kiss Ass soundtrack along the way. Although I prefer running without an ipod, I seem to run quicker and more comfortable at times with it. Maybe its because it blocks out all the panting, spluttering and wheezing. :o

5M in 42:07 (8:25 pace)

Fan-Flippin-Tastic training today. On the cards was 6M including 10 x 100m strides. The park had a Duathlon going on today by the look of it, and the whole world and his dog was out walking their dogs (if you can work that one out, answers on a postcard please :confused:)

As a bit of a confidence booster for next week, I thought I'd keep pace below PMP and instead of leaving the strides till the end, I experimented with doing them in the middle, thus the pace went like

Mile 1 - 8:25 warming up
    Mile 2 - 7:35
    Mile 3 - 7:36

Then for the Intervals on the football pitch, the distance was 120m, while jogging along the goal line for recovery

Pace
    1 - 6:20
    2 - 6:18
    3 - 6:15
    4 - 5:58
    5 - 6:31
    6 - 5:50
    7 - 6:34
    8 - 6:09
    9 - 6:28
    10- 6:05

Some day soon, I'll string the lot together ;)

Recovery jog for the rest of the 5th mile and then increased the pace again for the last mile at 8:03 pace

Overall, 6M in 48:23 (8:04 pace)
    with the intervals and recovery jogs thrown in, so the overall pace was kept aroung HMP quite comfortably, which I'm delighted with.

Have a 13M run scheduled for tomorrow, but not sure what pace to run it. Might keep it at 9:00min miles, running it at PMP might be against the taper laws before next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

I am really enjoying following your training log. You are faster than me but I find your workouts very helpful as a guide to what I should be doing myself.
    I will be with you in spirit on Monday and know you will have a mighty day.

Then recover quickly so you can get me to my sub 4 at the end of November

Thanks Hot to Trot, Good to know that the do's and don'ts and of course the "What the Hell Was I Thinking" experiences I discovered are of benefit.

Sure you'll have no problem with a sub 4 after your achievement in Belfast. What marathon are you planning at the end of November? Please dont say the Lanzarote one, cos you'll make me dead jealous! :D

The Comerades is going to be a savage event. I'll be keeping an eye on your log to see how you prepare for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Venice this weekend a LSR and Florence/Firenze at the end of November. Then Comrades training with a vengeance from December.:eek: With a little blip in Clonakilty. Am afraid all Belfast did was qualify me to walk a long way:o.

What are you doing taper wise this week?

Also what kind of pace /marathon finishing time did you start at to progress to where you are now, banging on the door of 3.45?

How can you have a Marathon in Venice? Do you have to swim any sections of it? :D

Training for the next week is

Sunday 13M
    Monday Rest
    Tue 3M Recovery
    Wed 7M
    Thur 7M Recovery with 2M PMP
    Friday 5M Recovery
    Saturday 5M Recovery with 6 x 100m Strides
    Sun 4M Recovery
    Monday Run like Hell!!!!

All of my marathons were over 4h (bar Dublin 2008), until I got the 3:57 in the Bogtrotters, then I got 3:54 the week later in Leitrim, but mainly, I wasnt really doing any speed work, just Distances and lots of them, without trying hard enough to bring up the pace. After Connemara in April, I signed up with the BHAA and did all their road races, to make me get the finger out and start upping the pace with a bit more conficence.

I see you are doing the P&D training, so you're off to a great start . I only started getting into it once Dingle was over in September, so I think it was too late to take advantage of most of the Speed training as the legs were tired, and I was jumping into the deep end of the schedule, But I feel I'm ready for a 3:45 next week. Just have to wake up with the right legs on the day.

Once you know what you are capable of from race times, You'll know what speed you should be doing the Recoverys, LSR, Tempos etc at and your body adapts to it.

I know a few people who started the P&D training from the week one and are on course for 3:45 and even 3:30 (I'm not going to name anyone, in case I jinx it for them and I'm held responsible). Once you get your first sub4 under the belt, you'll be eyeing up the 3:45 and 3:30 catagories next.

Best of luck in Venice!

• Advertisement

Sunday 13M
    Monday Rest
    Tue 3M Recovery
    Wed 7M
    Thur 7M Recovery with 2M PMP
    Friday 5M Recovery
    Saturday 5M Recovery with 6 x 100m Strides
    Sun 4M Recovery
    Monday Run like Hell!!!!

Is 30+ miles the week before the race really the best way to prepare yourself for a fast marathon?! My plan (not fully formed yet) is 3/4 runs, nothing longer than 5 miles and just 2 miles on the Sunday...

Advertisement