Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching JC Classical Studies at home...

• 21-05-2010 12:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi!
    We want to teach our daughter the course at home, since it is not offered in school and we feel it's essential for a complete education. We are both qualified teachers, with degrees in Classics/ History/ Philosophy etc.
    However, I've found that there are no available textbook or resources apart from what is provided by the Department and the Classical Assoc. (to which I've subscribed, and they seem very helpful) and it will demand a lot of preparation work to even gather the documents and design a course.
    Anybody here has any advice or ideas? What about British resources? Are they quite on target for the Irish Curriculum?
    Thanks in advance for any tips.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Unfortunately there are no textbooks for classical studies either for JC or LC. It is primarily up to each teacher to design notes etc based on the course guidelines.

Having taught classical studies, i would suggest finding out if a local school includes classics in their subject choice, and maybe talk to the co-ordinating teacher to see what aspects of the course they are concentrating on and any supplementary texts that they find helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Galwaymother

Thanks Nead21.
    The only problem is that there is no Secondary in Galway teaching the subject, as far as I know. I'm starting to gather resources etc, but it is difficult and expensive to get in-depth and well-illustrated books, so I think I will print out a lot from the auld Internet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Nead21 wrote: »
    Unfortunately there are no textbooks for classical studies either for JC or LC. It is primarily up to each teacher to design notes etc based on the course guidelines.

Having taught classical studies, i would suggest finding out if a local school includes classics in their subject choice, and maybe talk to the co-ordinating teacher to see what aspects of the course they are concentrating on and any supplementary texts that they find helpful.

That's a very good idea, OP. Alternatively, or rather additionally, download the syllabus here and here and the exam papers here and devise your own course. There is even a short Boards.ie discussion here.

A quick google on Irish pages for "classical studies" will give you more than enough Irish schools which are currently teaching it, and thus classical studies teachers to contact for advice.

Go n-éirí an t-ádh leat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

I just had a quick look at the syllabus for JC and from what i can remember (i taught LC classics) the areas that were focused on in the school where i taught it were;
    A)Roman World
    (i) The Quest of Aeneas based on Virgil's Aeneid
    (ii) The Roman Theatre based on Plautus' The Swaggering Solider
    (iii) The Roman City based on the study of Pompeii

B) Greek World
    (i) The Wrath of Achilles based on the study of Homer's Illiad
    (ii) The Athenian Acropolis

What year is your daughter in, or will she be starting secondary school in sept?

She will be starting in First Year in September. I have the Papers and Guidelines and Curriculum. The other hitch is that the NCCA is changing the exam format, and it will probably be different for her JC. But I suspect the same topics will be covered, just maybe different emphasis or less questions with more time. Anyway, in First Year, as I understand it, they need a general survey of the field. I am probably going to teach it also to her best friend, so I need to be very good and interesting, which the subject does allow though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Would you think of running a class? Just a thought but might make it more interesting. Fair play by the way, let's hope I don't lose my motivation to teach my little fella what we feel is important when the time comes in a few years time!

Hi Gaeilge grinds!
    Yes, my friend whose son might do it with my daughter is saying some other kids might be interested once they hear of it, and that I should get paid! Never thought of it like that, though I give grinds already in all types of subjects!
    I also want to teach my daughters French Lit. and History, as they'll do Spanish in school. Might have to add Hispanophone Lit. if they don't cover some of it in class. Also Philosophy when they hit 16, as it is done in France, where it is compulsory for all students for the Baccalaureat...
    I don't know where we'll get the time though, and as for the students' motivation, we'll see! They're enthusiastic about Classical studies though, for the moment anyhow...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I would tend to agree with your daughter on this one. However, I'd say interest by some will wain come the big JC as they'll think they have enough on. That said, those really willing to learn will love it. Such a shame it's gone, my parents were mad into classics when I was growing up, taught me Latin too but that's another story! Fair play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ju_q

I know that Yeat's College in alway used to teach classics - not sure if they do anymore, but I did it there for LC 2001. Could be worth checking with them. A woman named Mona used to teach it there - great teacher and really helpful. Good luck

I know Mona, she's lovely, but she only taught LC...At the moment, unfortunately (or fortunately?), I got a very full-on position and have little time to do Classics with my daughter at the weekend. Her friend is not ready to do it, he is slightly lazy at the weekend!
    So she has read the Odyssey (complete Penguin Edition), which she loved with a passion, especially relishing Homer's language. She is starting the Iliad, but is less taken with it. I gathered a lot of resources and hope to do some work with her over the holidays and in the summer...I think we will be able to catch up if she keeps reading the real stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Americanmother

My son is on 5th and is looking to do classical studies but not offered at his school in Galway. Have you been able to source this? Is this Mona mentioned above still teaching LC classical studies? How might I find an LC classical studies teacher? If he cant do classical then economics or geography. I am not used to the Irish system of not getting your subjects you want at school and having to privately fund outside of class. In school he got History, Biology and Physics as his choices. French as his language. Maths and English of course. Because we moved here when he was 11 he is taking his exemption from Irish for the LC

Unfortunately Americanmothero I haven't been able to get in touch with a teacher. Mona is semi-retired I think. She is in Yeats (Am I allowed to say this?).
    My daughter's school has not helped even though I know some teachers used to teach Classics. Maybe they are all gone.
    It would be quite easy to find a private teacher for Economics or Geography. Alternatively there are private "grinds" school teaching them in a class situation on Saturdays or evenings.
    I think your son would be well advised to take a seventh subject in case one of them is proving difficult, and he is not able to gain points from it.
    Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Americanmother

Thanks Galwaymother. I found economics at millstreet but it is for 6th years and I am not sure if it is for someone who is not doing the class at all during school. He is very bright so I think it is the way we will have to go. I havent gotten any replies from the few economics grinds (one on one) tutors I found online. Gort school teaches classics on a saturday and you pay extra for them but when I called they said it was only for their students. Seems strange as it is out of school hours and privately paid for but whatever. Never thought it would be so hard even when the child wants to learn.

Advertisement