Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird Flashes in the sky 20/5/10

Options
  • 21-05-2010 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭

JUst bac in from relaxin outside lookin up at the sky for awhile.
    I seen some odd big flashes in the sky which i couldnt figure what they wer.
    They werent planes or anything as they only seem to happen every few minutes and that i couldntnt see a red flash after each one.
    Any1 to hav a guess to what they could hav been?

But ye ... was perculiar but exciting.

Seen quite a few nice shootin stars also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

have you been at the sherry again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Lightning high up in sky or far away?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

If they were only as bright as the average star then they were run of the mill satellites. If they were as bright as the planet Venus which is shining brightly in the west after the setting sun at the moment, then they were likely Iridium Satellites. Go to Heavens-above.com and input your town and click on Iridium Sats. It'll give times for tonight and you can see if its the same thing you saw the other night. Some have been known to set their stopwatch for the next Iridium flare and call the girlfriend out and tell her you love here so much you've decided to make a new star for her. Click you fingers at the appropriate time and boom. Mad bright 'Star' appears in the sky for a few seconds for her. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Calibos wrote: »
    If they were only as bright as the average star then they were run of the mill satellites. If they were as bright as the planet Venus which is shining brightly in the west after the setting sun at the moment, then they were likely Iridium Satellites. Go to Heavens-above.com and input your town and click on Iridium Sats. It'll give times for tonight and you can see if its the same thing you saw the other night. Some have been known to set their stopwatch for the next Iridium flare and call the girlfriend out and tell her you love here so much you've decided to make a new star for her. Click you fingers at the appropriate time and boom. Mad bright 'Star' appears in the sky for a few seconds for her. :D

Iridium Flare?... now thats new to me, for ahwile i thought it was just my eyes adjusting to the low light and somehow im seein a flash from another stare. But ye ill do that and see tonight if they wer similar.
    Thanks pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Lightning high up in sky or far away?

Na man... it was like the stobe lights that do be on planes and helicopters. But it only happened once or twice in different spots over the course of a half hour or so.
    So they definitely werent planes or helicopters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭CaraFawn

I see red stuffs in the sky too I am trying to catch them I have camera and video camera all the time next to me now when I go out for a smoke...:o

Advertisement