Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New band?

Options
  • 21-05-2010 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Ok so here's tge deal... I have been on an extremely fruitless journey recently trying to find a new band to listen to bit to no avail. band after band has just been ****! So I'm hoping some of you could give me something new to listen to.

Do not reccpmend any metal bands though with nothing but screaming because I hate that stuff soooo much it's unreal.
    I just want some good quality rock. :)

this is what I listen to:

theory of a dead man
    black stone cherry
    soundgatden
    audioslave
    chris cornell
    atreyu ( only the newest one)
    breaking Benjamin
    cold
    disturbed
    fire wind
    the underserving
    incubus
    temple of a dog
    simple plan although only some...
    Nickelback

yep I think that's everything. Anyway fire away guys... And please no metal!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

fufureida wrote: »
    Ok so here's tge deal... I have been on an extremely fruitless journey recently trying to find a new band to listen to bit to no avail. band after band has just been ****! So I'm hoping some of you could give me something new to listen to.

Do not reccpmend any metal bands though with nothing but screaming because I hate that stuff soooo much it's unreal.

theory of a dead man
    black stone cherry
    soundgatden
    audioslave
    chris cornell
    breaking Benjamin
    cold
    disturbed
    fire wind
    the underserving
    incubus
    temple of a dog
    Nickelback

Kinda strange that you'd post this in a Rock/Metal forum then, innit???:p;)

But if you want a really good band to listen to, check out The Cult, especially their album Sonic Temple which is just one killer track after another. After that, I'd recommend Love which has their (arguably) most recognisable track in 'She Sells Sanctuary' and also has many killer numbers on it.

Bit older, bit more prog/pop/rock than the above, but also see Asia and their first two albums Asia and Alpha. Might be a bit too light-weight and A.O.R. for your liking but they are excellent musicians and the songs are nice and catchy!

The McAuley-Schenker Group is another one that might be worth a look for you. Similar to Asia but a bit heavier and featuring one of the best guitarists of all time in Michael Schenker. A lot more mainstream and 'pop' than his previous output, this late-1980's group still had a lot more to offer than most and this output is criminally underrated. Perfect Timing and M.S.G. are the 2 albums to concentrate on.

Tesla are another group that originated in the 1980's, playing a kind of stadium/arena rock but with a lot more soul and substance than anyone else. Jeff Keith's emotive and powerful voice drives all their numbers, and their first two albums Mechanical Resonance and The Great Radio Controversy are brimming with arena-pleasing, yet psuedo-heavy, rock tunes.

Hope this helps! Good luck, and happy listening!:)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

fire wind
    Going on this I'd recommend Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica: Keyboard based power metal with strong clean vocals

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

DazMarz wrote: »
    Kinda strange that you'd post this in a Rock/Metal forum then, innit???:p;)

no it's not. I like rock. I hate metal. This is a rock/metal forum. Make sense? lol

and thanks will check out!

EDIT: didn't like any of tge above. First posters stuff was too old but definately good music, just something I won't be able to get into, second poster bands I've already listened and didn't think much of.

Will I ever find a new favourite band...? :( lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

picky bastid aint ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭madheaded

I mostly listen to metal but here are somr good bands you might like
    Alter Bridge, Coheed and Cambria, early Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam
    Based on what you said you listen to i think you will like alter bridge the most

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

You say you hate metal but you listen to Firewind who are about as metal as it gets seeing as they have Gus G. as their guitarist. You're not going to get very far with that attitude. Broaden your horizons a bit. Since you like Firewind you've proven there's always an exception to the rule. Try and find other exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

theory of a dead man
    black stone cherry
    soundgatden
    audioslave
    chris cornell
    breaking Benjamin
    cold
    disturbed
    fire wind
    the underserving
    incubus
    temple of a dog
    Nickelback

A lot of what is on your own list would be classed as metal. But based on what is on your list, try the following;

Shinedown: The Sound Of Madness.

Pearl Jam: Ten, VS, Pearl Jam.

Audrey Horne: Audrey Horne

Rev Theory: Light It Up

Live: Throwing Copper

Cage The Elephant: Cage The Elephant

Smile Empty Soul: Vultures

You say you hate metal but you listen to Firewind who are about as metal as it gets seeing as they have Gus G. as their guitarist. You're not going to get very far with that attitude. Broaden your horizons a bit. Since you like Firewind you've proven there's always an exception to the rule. Try and find other exceptions.
    I suspect he was limiting metal to death/thrash metal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

theory of a dead man
    black stone cherry
    soundgatden
    audioslave
    chris cornell
    breaking Benjamin
    cold
    disturbed
    fire wind
    the underserving
    incubus
    temple of a dog
    Nickelback

Simple Plan - New Found Glory, Sum 41, Good Charlotte, Yellowcard, All Time Low

Breaking Benjamin - Chevelle, Shinedown, Three Days Grace, Seether

Incubus - Hoobastank, LostProphets

Disturbed - Godsmack, Avenged Sevenfold, Drowning Pool, Staind

Soundgarden - Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice In Chains

Atreyu - Mudvayne, Bullet For My Valentine, Flyleaf, Five Finger Death Punch

Cold - Trapt, Puddle Of Mudd, Trust Company, Crossfade, Papa Roach, Taroot

Um excuse me? I don't like screaming bands and as far as I'm concerned modern metal has lost the plot. So you don't have a right to tell me to ' broaden my horizons ' since I like more music styles than you can probably think of...:/ ranging for qawwali classical to hard rock to RnB to hip hop. I'm not going to listen to idiots screaming cus IMO that's what they are. Sure I like most of tge instrumental but tge second tge vocal cones in it's a instant turn off.

• Advertisement

Simple Plan - New Found Glory, Sum 41, Good Charlotte, Yellowcard, All Time Low

Breaking Benjamin - Chevelle, Shinedown, Three Days Grace, Seether

Incubus - Hoobastank, LostProphets

Disturbed - Godsmack, Avenged Sevenfold, Drowning Pool, Staind

Soundgarden - Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice In Chains

Atreyu - Mudvayne, Bullet For My Valentine, Flyleaf, Five Finger Death Punch

Cold - Trapt, Puddle Of Mudd, Trust Company, Crossfade, Papa Roach, Taroot

Listen to most of them too forgot to mention them!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Um excuse me? I don't like screaming bands and as far as I'm concerned modern metal has lost the plot. So you don't have a right to tell me to ' broaden my horizons ' since I like more music styles than you can probably think of...:/ ranging for qawwali classical to hard rock to RnB to hip hop. I'm not going to listen to idiots screaming cus IMO that's what they are. Sure I like most of tge instrumental but tge second tge vocal cones in it's a instant turn off.

So because you don't like the screams, that makes them idiots? I don't like pop music, but I don't go onto the pop sub-forum and call all of them idiots. Fair enough, if you like rock then continue talk about it. But don't come in to label most metal singers/bands as idiots. It may just be a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Denny M wrote: »
    So because you don't like the screams, that makes them idiots? I don't like pop music, but I don't go onto the pop sub-forum and call all of them idiots. Fair enough, if you like rock then continue talk about it. But don't come in to label most metal singers/bands as idiots. It may just be a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

That's my opinion, suck it up. Your tge one who started saying ' oh broaden ur horizon lolllll ' and that I'm not gonna ' get far' just because I don't enjoy that kind of music? I clearly stated I don't like metal. I like rock and hard rock but screamers... I really hate that. So yeah deal with it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Actually, I'm not the one who told you to "broaden your horizons", nor did I say anything about "getting far", get it right. I can accept that you don't like metal, what I don't accept is the "they are all idiots" attitude.

Denny M wrote: »
    what I don't accept is the "they are all idiots" attitude.

Boohoo too bad it's my opinion! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Try alice in chains, tool and pearl jam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Try alice in chains, tool and pearl jam

can't go wrong there. also OP...all metal is "idiots screaming?" hah. I, like yourself, also listen to many different genres but I find that metal is by far the most rewarding.

Oh well, your opinion I suppose.

My recommendations for rock bands would be Muse, Biffy Clyro, A Perfect Circle, Oceansize, System Of A Down and Deftones.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

fufureida go and listen to some Nevermore if you think metal is "idiots screaming". Then please do consider to broaden your horizons as others have suggested. It's good that you listen to other genres but you really shouldn't just dismiss metal out of hand. Lastly, please take some care over your posts as they are quite difficult to read.

OP is of the opinion that all heavy metal is screaming when in fact he doesn't realize there's about a million sub-genres of heavy metal spanning decades that doesn't involve screaming whatsoever. Do your research before you start mouthing off to people who know what they're talking about in this forum lad. That attitude certainly won't get you far! People are saying it's just this guy's opinion when in actual fact he's probably just a misinformed teenager who hasn't a clue what metal really is.

OP is of the opinion that all heavy metal is screaming when in fact he doesn't realize there's about a million sub-genres of heavy metal spanning decades that doesn't involve screaming whatsoever. Do your research before you start mouthing off to people who know what they're talking about in this forum lad. That attitude certainly won't get you far! People are saying it's just this guy's opinion when in actual fact he's probably just a misinformed teenager who hasn't a clue what metal really is.

Their are so many things wrong with your posts it's not even funny.
    1) I'm a female.

2) I'm 20

3) I don't have to listen to screaming/growling metal because I think it's ****.

4) I'm well aware of the retearded sub genres that exist. Nu metal, heavy metal, prog metal, math metal, death metal, black metal etc etc....

5) I don't give a **** if you think I'm misinformed. Lynard skynard? Love him. Deep purple? Love most of it. Led zep? Legends. Ac/DC? Brilliantly talented.

I do not CARE for metal that involves growling screaming all that piss poor excuse for 'musical talent' because I hate it. Simple as, end off. Most metal these days= screaming growling... Hence why I don't like it end of story! Besides most of what I listen to is probably metal just without screaming... Personally I define myself as loving hard rock and just good quality rock and roll. All these new screaming growling death are lame excuses for music. Its my opinion don't like it fine. Just stop bugging me and go read twilight! I listen to RnB hiphop rap classical drum and bass rick astley , Akita yamoaka , nabuo uematsu , utada hiaru and even Bollywood music! I have varying tastes and listening to screaming growling metal isn't going to get me somewhere as you keep putting it! Sheesh!

Aaaaaanyway, I love pearl jam, and havnt really listened to alive in chains. Went out and bought breaking Benjamin album ' dear agony ' today. Loved it!!! Every song in it is worth a listen!

• Advertisement

Most metal these days= screaming growling...
    That, quite simply, is wrong, I should know, I hate screaming/growling too.

My boyfriend has a folder of 980 ' best metal songs ' with over 70 bands new and old and not ONE of them isn't a screamer/growler band.

God metal heads are so sensitive it's unreal. I'm not gonna hate anyone who likes it I just can't stand most of the **** myself!

OP is either an epic troll or just... I don't know the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

OP is either an epic troll or just... I don't know the word.

+1
    Honestly OP if you wanted advice on bands go do it yourself on youtube... Everyone here has recommended you some great bands and you've either shot them down or been down right obnoxious.. Serious trolling as Twilightning says.. Not really endearing yourself tbh, i would have recommended stuff but i cant be bothered wasting my time when i know im gonna get a ridiculous response..

Their are so many things wrong with your posts it's not even funny.
    1) I'm a female. - That's fair enough.

2) I'm 20 - Really? I never would have guessed to be honest.

3) I don't have to listen to screaming/growling metal because I think it's ****. - Nobody said you had to love growling or screaming. You're just quick to pull generalizations out of your arse and say heavy metal is, for the most part, screaming or growling. This simply isn't the case.

4) I'm well aware of the retearded sub genres that exist. Nu metal, heavy metal, prog metal, math metal, death metal, black metal etc etc.... - Remind me what's so retarded about sub-genres? Nu-metal, heavy metal and prog metal 99% of the time don't utilize growls or screams as part of their vocal arrangements. There's many other sub-genres that don't either. Power metal would be a main contender here.

5) I don't give a **** if you think I'm misinformed. Lynard skynard? Love him. Deep purple? Love most of it. Led zep? Legends. Ac/DC? Brilliantly talented. You probably should care about being ridiculously ill-informed when it comes to rock and metal as a whole because you just shot yourself in the foot here. It's spelt 'Lynyrd Skynyrd', and it's not actually a person, it's a southern rock group?

I do not CARE for metal that involves growling screaming all that piss poor excuse for 'musical talent' because I hate it. Simple as, end off. Most metal these days= screaming growling... Hence why I don't like it end of story! - You seem to just veer off the point of the argument as a whole here. You think everyone here is trying to get you to acknowledge that growls and screams are awesome when we're not. I hate them just as much as you do and while years ago when I was a lot more narrow minded when it came to music I would have written them off as untalented, but now I just say it's not my cup of tea. I like harsh vocals now and again but I'll always come back to the clean ones. However, when you say most metal these days is screaming or growling you are talking out of your arse. No way around that I'm afraid.

Besides most of what I listen to is probably metal just without screaming... Personally I define myself as loving hard rock and just good quality rock and roll. All these new screaming growling death are lame excuses for music. - Again, I'd say it's not my cup of tea and I'd imagine growling or screaming would require some degree of talent. I'm not trying to make you like, just stop saying nearly all metal these days is like that. If you're really sticking to your guns with this, name 10 metal acts today that use growling or screaming in their music. I guarantee I could name 20 more that don't.

Its my opinion don't like it fine. Just stop bugging me and go read twilight! I listen to RnB hiphop rap classical drum and bass rick astley , Akita yamoaka , nabuo uematsu , utada hiaru and even Bollywood music! I have varying tastes and listening to screaming growling metal isn't going to get me somewhere as you keep putting it! Sheesh! - It's not that I simply dislike your opinion. The main reason I do is because you're talking out of your arse when you try to convey it. I think everyone else would agree with it. What other genres of music you listen to is pretty irrelevant. I've studied and listened classical music, Irish music, folk and modern music in school (and outside of it) and I regularly listen to jazz/blues in my house because my mother's partner has it on most of the time. I don't throw that in anybody's face because it's irrelevant. Also, what's with the juvenile Twilight comment? I don't read it?

Aaaaaanyway, I love pearl jam, and havnt really listened to alive in chains. Went out and bought breaking Benjamin album ' dear agony ' today. Loved it!!! Every song in it is worth a listen! - I like Breaking Benjamin too, but Dear Agony is exactly the same as their last 3 releases.

My two cents guys.

Loooooolllll trolling? This his hilarious! What have I 'shot down' other than screamers? Your all such drama queens.

Get a life. it's my opinion. I'm well aware all metal isn't screaming. I don't give a **** what any of you think...God your all protecting your precious metal as if it's a newborn child. Catching me off for a misspell is childish as hell. I love his voice and I know it's a band.

****ing retards...

Loooooolllll trolling? This his hilarious! What have I 'shot down' other than screamers? Your all such drama queens.

Get a life. it's my opinion. I'm well aware all metal isn't screaming. I don't give a **** what any of you think...God your all protecting your precious metal as if it's a newborn child. Catching me off for a misspell is childish as hell. I love his voice and I know it's a band.

****ing retards...

*hands you your coat*

Safe home now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

****ing retards...

One angry young lady..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I leave the thread for one minute and it turns into this???

Relax, boys... Daz is here and all is well again...;):D:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Okay I think I'd better close this thread as it's getting unnecessarily argumentative.

Let's all try to relax and enjoy the fine weather rather than be like this:

xkcd22.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement