Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are my parts compatible?

Options
  • 21-05-2010 5:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Need some help in my attempts at building my own desktop. I've selected a motherboard, processor, graphics and sound card that I'd like. Now I need all the techies to advise me. Are all these parts compatible, and how well would they run together? Are there ant better options out there for the same price, or can I find the same quality elsewhere for less?

Here they are anyway:

Motherboard - Intel DG41KR

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo

Video Card - Nvidia GeForce GT 240

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

just a quick side note -

That CPU is old, the motherboard is old, the graphics card is weak for the price, and no need for a soundcard unless you are a total audiophile.

If you perhaps want some suggestions, provide us your budget and what you intend doing on the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭robbeardsley

I always thought that Video card was new-ish at least.

Anyway I'd say my budget for the CPU, board and video card would be around €250. is that ok or am I cheapin out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

what psu and ram and case are you going to use. amd would be a better option i would of thought as they are cheaper maybe some chip that you could unlock the core,s or overclock it. As for graphics card what monitor are you going to be using ie what size

500w+ PSU and 2gb or more of RAM.

And I'll be hooking it up to a 32" HD telly

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

But what resolution is the telly? 720p+ or 1080p? More importantly, will you be gaming with this build? :confused:

• Advertisement

Well I haven't got the telly yet. But I'm probably not gona get a full HD telly. So it'd be 720p/1080i

And what are you doing with the machine? Gaming? A lot depends on the answer...

What memory do you have? DDR2? What is the brand and model of your PSU?

Well I plan on gaming, but just games like FM or other strategy games. I haven't bought any of the parts yet, the while reason for this thread is to ensure im not buying the wrong kit. Prob end up getting DDR3

DDR3 is going to blow your budget clean out of the water - €100 for 2x2GB :o

If you cheap out you could get a modern AM2 mobo and an AM3 CPU and dodge the DDR3 ;)

FM? Football Manager? :confused:

Get a GTS240 or HD5670 - whichever is cheaper. You probably won't be able to find one under €75 though, so a cheap HD4850 might also be a good idea for under €90 if your PSU can take the much higher power draw. Otherwise the mid-range is barren, with the HD4830 and HD4770 both gone and the HD5750 512MB starting at €110 (yep, even Pixmania :().

I'll stick to DDR2 so :O

Bang on the money... Football Manager

I was planning on getting the GT 240. I might get one at a wholesalers i know. Still havent chosen a mobo, as ive gone of the idea of the Intel board i listed above. Im warming towards the AMD Phenom II series. Can you advise which one would be best, id like ram potential up to 4gb,dual core minimum

• Advertisement

What's your current RAM like? What speed, how many sticks etc. With just €250 to play with it'd be good if we could recycle them as RAM is extremely expensive nowadays.

What else are you doing with this PC other than FM2010?

I'm guessing this with this or this should finish things... oh and another 2GB DDR2 if you have the money left over...

But that mobo youve listed has an AM2+ socket, whereas the CPU's are AM3. Is that a problem, or am i being too detailed in pairing?

I was thinking of getting a Phenom II instead of an Athlon II, though im not sure which model

AM3 CPUs can be used on AM2 mobos, the newer the mobo's model the less chance you'd even have to update the BIOS ;)

Why a Phenom2? Seems like extra money for additional power that you might not even need...

Mobo is okay, bit pricey though.

CPU is poor and horribly overpriced. Its a very slow low-energy model, not at all what you should be looking for. For less than €4 more you could get a 2.8GHz quad-core! :eek:

Solitaire wrote: »
    Mobo is okay, bit pricey though.

CPU is poor and horribly overpriced. Its a very slow low-energy model, not at all what you should be looking for. For less than €4 more you could get a 2.8GHz quad-core! :eek:

Could you link me some similar alternatives?

I already did a few posts back :)

What about the Athlon II x3 435 with the Gigabyte 880gm-ud2h

that mobo comes with realtek audio card too. Looking for an alternative video card to suit

Fine, but I suspect that said mobo will be expensive (brand new next-gen model) and you'd be stuck blowing €90-120 extra on the DDR3 for it :o

I'll source some RAM from a place i know anyway. I'll see how 2gb goes then prob get a 2nd stick.

What about the Radeon 5450? Good video card?

• Advertisement

HD5450? Not for games. Not even FM, if you want the match view. Graphics, like RAM, has shot up in price, so expect to drop at least €75 for something usable and €110+ for something competant :(

What about a 5670? Or that GT240?

They're the ~€75 bit I alluded to in my last post ;)

9800GT?

Slightly better than a GT240 but much heavier on power, and you never did tell me what PSU you have... :p

I havent got one yet tbh. Any recommendations? Don't mind it being a juice guzzler. So long as it's a reasonable price and powers my gear well

I havent got one yet tbh. Any recommendations? Don't mind it being a juice guzzler. So long as it's a reasonable price and powers my gear well

Wait... you don't have a PSU yet either?! :confused:

I was gona pick a PSU based on what other parts I got

Hmm... a <95W Athlon2 plus a HD5670 in a fairly basic system could be run even by an Antec Basiq 350W, which can be found for just €30 in some places. Once you go up to a GT240 or HD5750 you're moving into Corsair CX400 territory, which is usually around €45. But if you move "up" to a HD4830/4850 or 9800GT you're looking at a cheap Corsair VX450 or OCZ StealthXStream 500 at least.

• Advertisement

Still not entirely sold on my graphic card. I'm set on a geforce. But which one?

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=ECE1892296#spec

or

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=ECE1876491#spec

And are you sure 400w would be enough. I was told i should get 500 minimum, and that was when I had the 400e dual core in mind

Advertisement