Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are my parts compatible?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Nope, you've been tricked :o Decent, branded aftermarket PSUs provide the amount of power on the label and usually have 12V current capacity (the important bit!) equal to over 80% (nowadays often over 90%) of the rated wattage of the PSU (eg. a CX400 is rated for 30A on the 12V rail, 30*12=360W which is 90% of the total 400W available :)).

By comparison, of that 30A above a tri- or quad-core Athlon2 would consume less than 8A (95W/12 = <8A) even at peak. A HD5670 would use about 3A under a heavy 3D load when running a game (4A for a GT240 or HD4670/4770/5750, 5A for 9600GT, 6A for HD5770, 7A for HD4830, 8A for GTS250 and 9A for HD4850). Each 3.5" HDD or fan would consume a fraction of an amp, the mobo a couple of amps (just a little more if using onboard graphics, which we're not)... At stock speeds a very basic system with a 95W TDP CPU and a HD5770 will use around 50-60% of what a CX400 could provide. This is perfect, as 50% is the optimum efficiency point of a PSU and what you should be aiming for.

Of course, there are times where stuff uses more - most non-Turbo Mode CPUs will virtually never go past their rated TDP and even iof they did they won't head far past it unless overclocked. Graphics cards will sometimes use huge amounts of juice for a split second if under extreme duress, but this isn't a normal state for them outside of specific torture tests such as the latest version of FurMark or OCCT/Perestroika. Each 3.5" HDD (and, to a far lesser degree, 2.5" HDD and fan) will use many times their normal power requirement - often in excess of 2A per drive - for a split second when spinning up from off/idle. But these events are weighed up against the 100% mark of the PSU rather than the 50% mark, and it only becomes a big problem if you're running a fileserver with a ton of 3.5" HDDs.

Why a nVidia card? Fanbois (scourge of the universe :() tend to tell friends and... well, everyone else... to use whatever they like best rather than what the user actually need :rolleyes: In any case that GT220 is absolutely horrid and sickeningly overpriced. Touch. Bargepole. Don't. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭robbeardsley

Informative to say the least :)

I'll go with the CX400 so probably. And the GT240. I can get the graphics card at a good price and I heard good things (maybe fanbois :p but regardless I have faith).

Any clue where I can get a good atx case?

You need a case too?! Why didn't you just say you needed a whole new build in the first place? :p

And it depends on your tastes, but the NZXT Gamma is usually available for under €40 and is a great case for the money. Thermaltake V3 too. And there's always the Antec 200...

Where could I get that cx400 for €45? Only prices I've seen are 65 :(

Gona research for a case, I'm very picky though.

Komplett have it for €46, Dabs for €49, and Pixmania will have it for under €45 once they get it back in stock.

• Advertisement

Could you direct me to an efficient, quiet CPU fan?

Stock coolers for AMD aren't bad, especially if they have to shift 95W rather than 125W+ :o If that isn't enough then an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev2 would do for cheap... I wouldn't go for more than a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, which for just ~€25 would probably be overkill for you :D

Advertisement