Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scientist creates life

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Man does not create, he only discovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

m@cc@ wrote: »
    I just created a mess in the bathroom, and I feel for the poor fella who discovers it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Wow... We discovered a lot of children over the millenia...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Wacker wrote: »
    I just created a mess in the bathroom, and I feel for the poor fella who discovers it.

What you and your fella get up to is your own business.
    Slugs wrote: »
    Wow... We discovered a lot of children over the millenia...

Paedo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Venter, the scientist in the video, looks right like General Hammond from Stargate :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Pfft, get a life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

One more nail in religions coffin i think. The sooner the better it's forgotten completely in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Wacker wrote: »

Flush it ya punk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Great! I won't be needing this anymore...

*Rips out uterus*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No to be god you have to create a watch in the woods, or something like that I don't remember.

• Advertisement

WindSock wrote: »

*Rips out uterus*

Dibs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Pfft.

My ma and da created three. And they didn't go to university.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Fago! wrote: »
    Dibs

:pac:

What are you going to do with it? Make it into a tea cosy?

stovelid wrote: »
    Pfft.

My man and da created three. And they didn't go to university.

Gay parents ftw

kinda

:pac:

What are you going to do with it? Make it into a tea cosy?

I was gonna make a caserole, but tea cosy will do just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well he didnt "create life" for a start. He built up a novel genome and inserted into an existing cell. An amazing achievement though. My concern is this guy already has a string of patents for other genetic creations, which is troublesome. We already see this with GM crops, where the farmers are tied to a company. Commerciallisation needs to be controlled. The other aspect is if one of these creations goes rogue in ways not imagined if it gets into the wild. Unless they make them sterile like many GM crops and give them a limited lifespan a harmless bug could become harmful through mutation. Or simply interact in the wild in ways not imagined. Life will out. If it gets a chance it will spread and change. Its been doing it for 4,000,000,000 years plus.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Fago! wrote: »
    Gay parents ftw

kinda

Corrected :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well he didnt "create life" for a start. He built up a novel genome and inserted into an existing cell. An amazing achievement though. My concern is this guy already has a string of patents for other genetic creations, which is troublesome. We already see this with GM crops, where the farmers are tied to a company. Commerciallisation needs to be controlled. The other aspect is if one of these creations goes rogue in ways not imagined if it gets into the wild. Unless they make them sterile like many GM crops and give them a limited lifespan a harmless bug could become harmful through mutation. Or simply interact in the wild in ways not imagined. Life will out. If it gets a chance it will spread and change. Its been doing it for 4,000,000,000 years plus.

It's a pity though that these companies don't make gm varieties sterile for safety regions but to ensure that people can't collect seed and are tied in to buying seed every season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

In other news...life creates scientist!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

*Rips out uterus*

Adverts.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

My concern is this guy already has a string of patents for other genetic creations, which is troublesome. We already see this with GM crops, where the farmers are tied to a company. Commerciallisation needs to be controlled.

Pfft I've my deposit down on a Prada Branded Liver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The extent of their work to achieve limited results (relatively limited!) highlights the wonder of how this happened initially in nature.

Of course, how it happened is still a matter of personal belief, but regardless, the wonder stands for all.

I am entralled by this.

If you are clever enough to reverse engineer their work, they have hidden a code in their for you and invite you email it to them - a golden wonka ticket for bio-folk the world over.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

*Rips out uterus*

Urgh! looks like i'll be skippin breakfast so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

You have just reminded me

I must watch Jurrassic park again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

pierrot wrote: »
    Could this man be god?
    Not while this man walks the earth, apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Wow...life created by someone we can actually prove exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Well he didnt "create life" for a start. He built up a novel genome and inserted into an existing cell. An amazing achievement though. .

I thought at the end of the video that he said that all he used was 4 chemicals and software?
    I may not have been listening properly though.

What he says at 11.12 or so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Its all getting very Brave New World, isn't it.

Anyone for soma?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

O good, it sounds like the end is nigher than ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Now all we need is for someone to take this knowledge and make it into some sort of weapon .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

create life me hole ,

all he did was manipulate already existing life.
    im not religious , but its actually a case for a higher intelligence being confirmed.

lets see how far he'd get with a bucket of sand and a barrell of water- not too far im reckoning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Now all we need is for someone to take this knowledge and make it into some sort of weapon .
    I plan to throw the artificial life form at the assistant, the assistant has a weak stomach I'm fairly confident being covered in deadly artificial life will cause her to vomit, if my timings correct this will happen just before Derrick walks into the room with the mid morning tea and biscuits. He'll not notice the sick on the ground and will slip, losing his balance causing him to tumble out the window I had opened not 20 minutes earlier, he'll plummet over 5 feet (unless my plan to move the lab to the 6th floor gets the go ahead, although it's unlikely to happen before mid morning tea and biscuits) to the flower bed below the window causing him annoyance, embarrassment and maybe even a booboo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Dudes name is Craig Venter.

Craig Venter, the life inventer.

When he dies people will go........... "The life in Venter is gone."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

bytey wrote: »
    create life me hole ,

im not religious , but its actually a case for a higher intelligence being confirmed.

lets see how far he'd get with a bucket of sand and a barrell of water- not too far im reckoning

Give him a couple of billion years and every chemical on earth being mixed in every way imaginable and exposed to every environment that could exist in the span of a couple of billion years to go with that bucket of sand and barrel of water and I reckon he would get very far indeed. Time constraint is not a case for a higher intelligence.

I agree with the people that said it is bizare that someone can patent a living thing. Completely understandable why a company would want to though. This project and many others would never have got the funding needed if there was no possibility of a net profit somewhere down the line. It's a sad fact but that is capitalism for you. Legislation is definately needed to address the legalities of organic engineering.

I also agree with whoever it was that expressed concerns about an organism escaping into the wild and mutating..... "life will find a way", as our lord almighty, the Raptor Jesus, once preached. There was already an instance of a bio engineered bacteria, which was all set to be released into the wild for commercial purposes. It broke down dead crops and turned them into alcohol. The wonderful thing about it was that it could thrive in any known plant so could be used across the board. It was only after it was granted approval that an independant scientific team proved that the bacteria didn't actually wait till the plants were dead to break them down...........A bacteria that spreads like wild fire and can break down any plant life it infects was almost released into the world. Scary stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

He has created life. He basically made up an entirely new genome from scratch then placed it into a host cell. Entirely new organism once it replicates using the artificial DNA. New life. From scratch. Only thing he didn't do was make a host cell from scratch but that's a minor detail, the DNA is the source of all the genetic information anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

create life me hole ,

I don't think you realise how incredible this achievement is.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

I'm curious, what implications would this discovery have for life in lets say 20 years in the futre?

craggles wrote: »
    I don't think you realise how incredible this achievement is.

dont fret , I realise , but its not "creating life"

if he also created the host cell- now then id be impressed .
    " minor detail " me arse - lets see him do it .

rest of its just lego with genes

• Advertisement

strobe wrote: »
    Give him a couple of billion years and every chemical on earth being mixed in every way imaginable and exposed to every environment that could exist in the span of a couple of billion years to go with that bucket of sand and barrel of water and I reckon he would get very far indeed. Time constraint is not a case for a higher intelligence.

I agree with the people that said it is bizare that someone can patent a living thing. Completely understandable why a company would want to though. This project and many others would never have got the funding needed if there was no possibility of a net profit somewhere down the line. It's a sad fact but that is capitalism for you. Legislation is definately needed to address the legalities of organic engineering.

I also agree with whoever it was that expressed concerns about an organism escaping into the wild and mutating..... "life will find a way", as our lord almighty, the Raptor Jesus, once preached. There was already an instance of a bio engineered bacteria, which was all set to be released into the wild for commercial purposes. It broke down dead crops and turned them into alcohol. The wonderful thing about it was that it could thrive in any known plant so could be used across the board. It was only after it was granted approval that an independant scientific team proved that the bacteria didn't actually wait till the plants were dead to break them down...........A bacteria that spreads like wild fire and can break down any plant life it infects was almost released into the world. Scary stuff.

rubbish , the stats on life forming randomly are millions of times worse than zero -
    FACT
    no one can explain how it happens - its actually impossible .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

making people.... to replace people.... to work in crap jobs....what will happen us? ahhh!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Just because I built a helimachopter out of a box of lego doesnt make me a creator of Lego.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

rubbish , the stats on life forming randomly are millions of times worse than zero -
    FACT

Are you taking the piss? I can't tell. The stats on you randomly actually sitting here right now, at this time, in this place, typing that message, are "millions of times worse than zero". Every single permutation from the start of time had to coincide perfectly for you to type that message, an atom out of place anywhere along the timeline of the universe could have meant you never typed that message. But you are here, in this place, at this time, typing that message.........aren't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

FACT
    Stats? Do you mean chance? The chance of life forming randomly is millions of times worse than zero? Think perhaps you need a crash course in basic mathematics :rolleyes:

The chances may be slim in something like our lifetimes, but given the amount of time it had to happen, it seems quite plausible. Perhaps you should read up on some of the current theories of abiogenesis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

faceman wrote: »
    Just because I built a helimachopter out of a box of lego doesnt make me a creator of Lego.

Can't believe you're the inventor of LEGO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Stop....Hammer Time

Create Zombies ftw

*Joins Zombie Forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Where does this playing god business come from at all? I only ever hear it in conjunction with things like stem cells or other such modern biological practices. I don't imagine those were mentioned too much in the bible. Then again they might have been :P

I think ye are being overly harsh on byty there. Obviously he didn't mean they were "worse than zero" that doesn't even mean anything, criticising something that doesn't mean anything doesn't mean anything either.

Kazuma time doesn't really have any effect on these "fine tuning" arguments (as far as I know). They are more about a coincidence of constants and all that. It becomes more probable if you have lots of universes, or lots of different parts of the universe with different sets of laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

raah! wrote: »
    Where does this playing god business come from at all? I only ever hear it in conjunction with things like stem cells or other such modern biological practices. I don't imagine those were mentioned too much in the bible. Then again they might have been :P

I think ye are being overly harsh on byty there. Obviously he didn't mean they were "worse than zero" that doesn't even mean anything, criticising something that doesn't mean anything doesn't mean anything either.

Kazuma time doesn't really have any effect on these "fine tuning" arguments (as far as I know). They are more about a coincidence of constants and all that. It becomes more probable if you have lots of universes, or lots of different parts of the universe with different sets of laws.
    Perhaps you're right, I might have been a little too quick on the harshness :)
    The use of "impossible" set me off though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

nachoman wrote: »
    I'm curious, what implications would this discovery have for life in lets say 20 years in the futre?

it basically means that processes such as those used for the production of proteins - which are becoming the main ways of producing medicines for various complex diseases and disorders, can potentially be achieved in days and weeks rather than years as is currently the case. the same idea can be applied to developing cells capable of producing bio-fuels and to environmental clean-ups. make a bacteria capable of producing fuels as a by-product of it's own metabolism, engineer them to eat oil/radioactive waste/plastics. the possibilities are endless.

being able to produce bacteria (not to mention any higher organisms) with characteristics that are completely defined and desirable is a massive boost to any biological or chemical-based industry.

many scientists have argued that this isn't breakthrough science, because this is already achievable to an extent, although it takes a massive amount of time and work. i'd be inclined to agree with this observation to some degree, as the concept is not that compex, but in terms of technique, Venter is in a league of his own.

• Advertisement
Advertisement