Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scientists create artificial life form - another nail in the coffin of religion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

King Mob wrote: »
    Why not?

And since when do cults get shut up by evidence?

QFW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Hallucinations cannot explain the conversion of Saul of Tarsus - the major persecuter of the early Christians - to Paul the Apostle. And even if the believing disciples were hallucinating then how do you explain the rise in early Christianity? If they were hallucinating then surely somebody at some point would have produced the body of Jesus in order to shut them up or at least stop other non eye witnesses to these events from believing in this nonsense. That did not happen. Why?

You sound like a 9/11 conspiracy theory pro-claimant. They should have done this, they didn't, therefore what I believe is probably true. It is this sort of nonsense which makes the claim that you question your faith ring rather hollow.

The logical fallacies of those who hold to the resurrection story have a lot in common with conspiracy theories.

http://warp.povusers.org/grrr/conspiracytheories.html

All you are doing is constructing fallacies to support and confirm for you what you wish to be true. That is not questioning your faith. Quite the opposite in fact

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

How long until I can build my ideal girlfriend:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

If you can explain the rise of early Christianity, the early Christian's genuine belief that Jesus was the Son of God whom they claimed they seen alive and real after His death and died happily proclaiming that testimony under the most horrific and agonizing of deaths then I'm all ears. And if you can explain that people would easily do this (even knowing that they were wrong) for the ones that they love you then need to explain what turned the apostle Paul around from being this new Faith's most aggressive opponent to become its chief apostle. When I hear GOOD explanations of these facts without needing to invoke anything supernatural then I will not be a Christian.

These are all very valid points you have raised.

I would be happy to answer your question as to....
    • explaining the early rise of the religion.
    • the early believers' genuine beliefs
    • how people easily believed this (even knowing they were wrong)
    • providing good explanations for the "facts" without having to invoke anything supernatural.

I would be happy to address those 4 points you raised above if you would be so kind as to do the same with regards to any of the religions below:

Mormonism
    Druzism
    Islam
    Sunni
    Shafi'i
    Hanafi
    Maliki
    Hanbali
    Shiite
    Alawites
    Ismailis
    Wahhabi
    Sufism (a form of Islamic mysticism)
    Nation of Islam
    Ibadhiyya
    Ahmadiyya
    Judaism
    First Century Messianic Renewed Judaism
    Pre-Rabbinic sects
    Essenes
    Hebrew religion
    Pharisaism
    Sadducees
    Rabbinic Judaism
    Conservative Judaism
    Orthodox Judaism
    Ultra-Orthodox Judaism
    Modern Orthodox Judaism
    Hasidic Judaism
    Reconstructionist Judaism
    Reform Judaism
    Falasha Judaism
    Karaite Judaism
    Rastafari
    Samaritanism
    20th Century Messianic Renewed Judaism II
    Ayyavazhi
    Buddhism
    Theravada
    Mahayana
    Vajrayana
    Hinduism
    Vedanta
    Vaishnavism
    Swaminarayan sect
    Gaudiya Vaishnavism
    ISKCON (Hare Krishna)
    Saivism
    Saktism
    Smartism
    Yoga
    Jainism
    Sikhism
    Manichaeism
    Zoroastrianism
    Mytraism
    Zurvanism
    Confucianism
    Iglesia ni Cristo
    Juche
    Mohism
    Shinto
    Oomoto
    Taoism
    Tenrikyo
    ching hung
    ting hung
    Candomblé
    Haitian Voudun
    Macumba
    Santería
    Umbanda
    Winti
    African religions
    Akamba mythology
    Akan mythology
    Ashanti mythology
    Bushongo mythology
    Dahomey mythology
    Dinka mythology
    Efik mythology
    Egyptian mythology
    Isoko mythology
    Khoikhoi mythology
    Lotuko mythology
    Lugbara mythology
    Pygmy mythology
    Tumbuka mythology
    Voudun (Voodoo)
    Yoruba mythology
    Zulu mythology
    European religions
    Anglo-Saxon mythology
    Basque mythology
    Chukchi mythology
    Druidry
    Finnish mythology
    Greek religion
    Hellênismos
    Roman religion
    Norse mythology
    Asatru
    Slavic mythology
    Middle Eastern religions
    Yezidis
    Native American religions
    Abenaki mythology
    Aztec mythology
    Blackfoot mythology
    Chippewa mythology
    Creek mythology
    Crow mythology
    Guarani mythology
    Haida mythology
    Huron mythology
    Ibo mythology
    Iroquois mythology
    Kwakiutl mythology
    Lakota mythology
    Lenape mythology
    Navaho mythology
    Nootka mythology
    Pawnee mythology
    Salish mythology
    Seneca mythology
    Tsimshian mythology
    Ute mythology
    Winnebago mythology
    Zuni mythology
    Northern indigenous religions
    Aleut mythology
    Evenk mythology
    Inuit mythology
    Yukaghir mythology
    Oceanic religions
    Australian Aboriginal mythology
    Cargo cults (Jon Frum, etc.)
    Dievturiba
    Hawaiian religion
    Micronesian mythology
    Maori mythology
    Modekngei (Republic of Palau)
    Nauruan indigenous religion
    Polynesian mythology
    Tuvaluan mythology
    See also: Animism, Goddess Worship, Paganism, Shamanism
    Eclectic unification religions
    Cao Dai
    Arès Pilgrim Movement
    Law of One
    Unitarian Universalism
    Universal Life Church
    THC Ministry
    Theosophy
    Falun Dafa (Falun Gong)
    Left Hand Path religions
    Neopaganism (some forms)
    Satanism
    Temple of Set
    Thelema
    Neopaganism
    Finnish neopaganism
    Neo-druidism
    Judeo-Paganism
    Wicca
    Alexandrian Wicca
    Dianic Wicca
    Gardnerian Wicca
    Seax-Wica
    Faery Wicca
    Feri Tradition
    Process Church of the Final Judgement
    Raelism
    Scientology
    Spiritualism
    Spiritism
    Science Grounded Religion
    Dev Samaj
    Summum
    Esotericism
    Alchemy
    Freemasonry
    Gnosticism
    Kabbalah
    Occultism
    Rosicrucian
    Ancient Mystical Order Rosae Crucis
    Confraternity of the Rose Cross
    Christian mysticism
    Gnosticism
    Hindu mysticism
    Tantra
    Tantric yoga
    Martinism
    Meditation
    Kabbalah
    Spirituality
    Sufism
    Theosophy
    Witchcraft

All of the above religions had/have followers that believed that their religion was/is also the "correct one".

They believe(d) this with just as much fervour and certainty as you hold your beliefs.

All of these religions have "back stories" which explain the "facts" associated with that religion just like Christianity and all of the points you raised are just as relevant to all of the above religions.

I presume you think (as I do) that the above religions are "wrong".

So what is different about the "facts" associated with those religions and the "facts" associated with yours?

Many of these religions also have devinely inspired "holy books" full of "facts".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Like I said over in the other forum, we question our faith all the time.

Which is not the question.
    The basis for the Christian faith is the resurrection of Jesus from the dead as an historical event in our space-time. If that didn't happen as an actual fact of history and it can be shown as such with logic, historical critique and solid argumentation then I don't need or want Christianity.

The question was what possible scientific discovery would force you to question your faith.

Short of a time-travel device, we can't know about the resurrection of Jesus. So is there anything else ?
    If you can explain the rise of early Christianity, the early Christian's genuine belief that Jesus was the Son of God whom they claimed they seen alive and real after His death and died happily proclaiming that testimony under the most horrific and agonizing of deaths then I'm all ears.

This has been pointed out to you a hundred times if it has been pointed out once.

There is nothing different from the above then from the stories of a hundred different religions throughout history.
    But I might as well tell you that if I could observe somebody creating matter from nothing then that would convince me that we don't need a God to do it.

Creating matter ? I'm going to assume that the following proof of such an act will not pass your criteria so I'm just going to preemptively ask you to expand on your requirements. How much matter would you need to see created ? What kind of matter etc ?

Scientists create matter using light. -> http://www.hep.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/e144/nytimes.html
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1997/09/970918045841.htm

Scientists create new type of matter -> http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2005/matter.html

So tell me why these scientist experiments don't pass your criteria ?
    If the Big Bang theory is correct then common sense will tell you that 'before' matter, space and time existed there was a force powerful enough to bring our universe into existence, and that force is beyond any natural force that came about as a result of this Big Bang. I believe this force to be God you can believe whatever you want about it.

No, common sense would dictate that we don't know. Full stop.

There are several hypotheses about what happened 'before*' the big bang ranging from a universe that continuously expands and contracts to nothing at all.

None of which require a god but also none of which have any evidence supporting them. So simple we don't know and anyone who says they do is simply wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

If you can explain the rise of early Christianity, the early Christian's genuine belief that Jesus was the Son of God whom they claimed they seen alive and real after His death and died happily proclaiming that testimony under the most horrific and agonizing of deaths then I'm all ears. And if you can explain that people would easily do this (even knowing that they were wrong) for the ones that they love you then need to explain what turned the apostle Paul around from being this new Faith's most aggressive opponent to become its chief apostle. When I hear GOOD explanations of these facts without needing to invoke anything supernatural then I will not be a Christian.

Haha, really?

budist_monk_on_fire1.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

If you can explain [...] the early Christian's genuine belief that Jesus was the Son of God whom they claimed they seen alive and real after His death and died happily proclaiming that testimony under the most horrific and agonizing of deaths
    How many people died to protect this belief, and how was this transmitted to the people who wrote down the story.

And how do you assure yourself that nobody was fooled, provided an inaccurate account, or subsequently edited the account to provide what we have now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I think it would be more of a miracle if you would actually listen to people when they tell you perfectly reasonable natural alternatives to the resurrection actually happening and give examples of modern day cults where people die for what they believe in. Tell me this, if Jesus did actual resurrect, why didn't more people turn to christianity at the time?
    But I might as well tell you that if I could observe somebody creating matter from nothing then that would convince me that we don't need a God to do it. If the Big Bang theory is correct then common sense will tell you that 'before' matter, space and time existed there was a force powerful enough to bring our universe into existence, and that force is beyond any natural force that came about as a result of this Big Bang. I believe this force to be God you can believe whatever you want about it.

Two things:
    1) Common sense doesn't necessarily apply before the Big Bang (no space and time remember)
    2) If there was no space and time and matter, why would the force need to be powerful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Zillah wrote: »
    Haha, really?

budist_monk_on_fire1.jpg

Yes, really.

The guy in the photo was protesting discrimination against his religion. He genuinely believed that his religion was truthful.

Soul Winner has referred to a very different scenario altogether - the idea that people would make up an untrue story and then be prepared to die rather than admit that the whole thing was hogwash anyway.

This distinction has been pointed out ad nauseam to those in this forum. the regulars here are either deliberately ignoring the difference or, to be charitable, are just extraordinarily forgetful.

Christians do not argue that the disciples being willing to die for their beliefs proves the validity of those beliefs. That would be a silly argument that, mercifully, doesn't exist outside of a strawman factory. They argue that being willing to die for something you knew fine well to be a lie would be much less plausible.

That of course, simply indicates that the early disciples genuinely believed that Jesus had been raised from the dead, and that they had not just made the story up. Whether you think that genuine belief was a correct belief is a different kettle of fish, and one where I have little optimism that we will agree.

But, hey, disagreement is fine. It happens all the time and, if we can actually understand what we are disagreeing about and be generous enough to describe each other's views accurately then a lot of nastiness can be avoided. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

PDN wrote: »
    That of course, simply indicates that the early disciples genuinely believed that Jesus had been raised from the dead, and that they had not just made the story up. Whether you think that genuine belief was a correct belief is a different kettle of fish, and one where I have little optimism that we will agree.
    No it doesn't.
    Some of them could have been fooled by others.
    All of them could have been fooled.
    All of them could have been doing the fooling but just where caught and punished, all of the martyrdom was added into later.
    They could have been fooling people at the start then eventual bought into their own bull****.
    Or they could have been talking about a spiritual resurrection and this was reinterpreed...
    Or any of the hundreds of other possibilities and combinations of these possibilities.
    None of which require a supernatural event to provide the explanation.

Also Joseph Smith faced jail and ultimately was beaten to death because of a supernatural event he professed.
    This event is laughably transparent as a fraud.

However your logic indicates it must be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

Christians do not argue that the disciples being willing to die for their beliefs proves the validity of those beliefs. That would be a silly argument that, mercifully, doesn't exist outside of a strawman factory. They argue that being willing to die for something you knew fine well to be a lie would be much less plausible.

This sort of thing really gets up my nose.

"You're strawmanning my position! That's not my position, this identical situation using different words is my position!"

This sort of thing really gets up my nose.

"You're strawmanning my position! That's not my position, this identical situation using different words is my position!"

So it gets right up your nose when a Christian clarifies an inaccurate portrayal of their position.

So you'd prefer it if we let you strawman to your heart's content, lay down and rolled over for you?

Sorry bud, you don't get that kind of free ride - and it does you no credit to seek it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

kiffer wrote: »

Where does that leave poor a-mouse? Do you need to treat it as well as you treat a regular mouse?
    Seems vaguely appropriate...
    wrote:
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the darkness at Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

MrP

Also Joseph Smith faced jail and ultimately was beaten to death because of a supernatural event he professed.
    This event is laughably transparent as a fraud.

However your logic indicates it must be true.

No, my logic indicates no such thing.

Firstly, if Smith died a similar death to any of the apostles, then my logic would indicate that it was implausible that he would willingly die rather than recant his story. That is not the same as saying his story was true.

However, Smith actually died in a gunfight in which he managed to pick off a couple of his attackers before they lynched him - not because of his stories, but because his followers practiced polygamy. I'm unaware of any recent developments in Church history that would indicate that any of Jesus' early disciples died similar deaths.

No, my logic indicates no such thing.

Firstly, if Smith died a similar death to any of the apostles, then my logic would indicate that it was implausible that he would willingly die rather than recant his story. That is not the same as saying his story was true.
    So how do you know that the apostles "willingly" died?
    Beyond "the bible said so"?
    However, Smith actually died in a gunfight in which he managed to pick off a couple of his attackers before they lynched him - not because of his stories, but because his followers practiced polygamy. I'm unaware of any recent developments in Church history that would indicate that any of Jesus' early disciples died similar deaths.
    Because they were told to practice polygamy by magically revealed golden tablets.

I like how the ultimatum "you can't explain this..." have can so much goalpost moving...

• Advertisement

I'm unaware of any recent developments in Church history that would indicate that any of Jesus' early disciples died similar deaths.
    If it's not too much trouble, could you give the bible verses which explain how each of the disciples died, and under what conditions, and how the story of each of the deaths was transmitted to the people who wrote it down?

So how do you know that the apostles "willingly" died?
    Beyond "the bible said so"?
    We have extrabiblical sources - namely the writings of the early Church fathers.

However, you are of course free to reject those historical sources that don't suit your purposes. You wouldn't be the first to do so by any means.
    Because they were told to practice polygamy by magically revealed golden tablets.
    And someone willingly died rather than recant their story of the golden tablets? Or he went down with all guns blazing?
    I like how the ultimatum "you can't explain this..." have can so much goalpost moving...
    Kindly link to where I made any such 'ultimatum'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

... Torture, what does the torturer hope to achieve? To get the truth? To get answers? To get the victim to say a particular thing regardless of the truth...

My position on this issue was for some time, "No one holds up under competent torture" ... one might hold up under incompetent torture if only because you die before you crack but a competent torturer can keep you alive pretty much indefinitely until you crack...

BUT of course that might not be true... maybe people can hold up indefinitely under torture... lets assume that the disciples held up under torture and did not break and make the statement that they authorities wanted them to make, "Jesus is not God, He's dead, it's all just a pack of lies, what ever you want! Just put the forceps and needles away!"
    What would the authorities do...?
    They would lie.
    Obviously that's not ideal for the authorities... Ideally you've left the diciples in good enough condition to stand up in font of a large crowd of believers and publicly denounce their prior "lies"... but if they don't crack and you end up killing them... well you just announce that they did...

Now their followers will not believe this... they'll say "they were tortured and under duress" so it doesn't count... or they would say "Ha! that's just not true! They would never crack! The Truth is the Truth! The power of God/Their faith would sustain Them!"

Rumor and Chinese whispers and by the time it's gotten back to the next community of followers what started as "They were arrested, taken away and tortured we assume, then the authorities claimed that they recanted before they died but we don't believe that" ends up recorded as "They were arrested and tortured but the holy spirit shone brightly round them and they endured! never did their faith waver!!!" People that say things like well that's not exactly what happened are ignored because frankly, Glorious shining martyrs are better for the cause than dull ones... and nay says just get ignored.

We have extrabiblical sources - namely the writings of the early Church fathers.

However, you are of course free to reject those historical sources that don't suit your purposes. You wouldn't be the first to do so by any means.
    Yep and as we all know the autobiographical writings of early Scientology leaders is 100% historically accurate....
    It's obviously the US navy who is lying when they say L. Ron Hubbard wasn't a war hero...

What evidence do these writings actually have that the accounts of the martyrdoms are accurate?
    And someone willingly died rather than recant their story of the golden tablets? Or he went down with all guns blazing?
    There is jack all evidence to support the idea that the apostles actually died willingly at all.

And the story of Joseph Smith shows that a fraud can be killed and that can be spun by believers into martyrdom.

Joseph Smith obviously died willingly in that firefight to spread the word of Mormonism

And what about the practitioners of Falun Gong who are actively, today, being captured and tortured by the Chinese government for their beliefs?
    Why do they not count?

Or how about the Heaven Gate cult? Who all willingly killed themselves because of their beliefs?
    Why do they not count.

Oh and btw these are just a few of the more recent examples, we can find hundreds of examples of people both enduring and committing horrible stuff because they believed in a supernatural event that you don't believe in.
    Yet some none of them count.
    Kindly link to where I made any such 'ultimatum'.
    Kindly link to where I said you did?

I specifically said that the ultimatum was made, not that you made it.

But you certainly have been doing a bang up job of moving those goalposts.

Yep and as we all know the autobiographical writings of early Scientology leaders is 100% historically accurate....
    It's obviously the US navy who is lying when they say L. Ron Hubbard wasn't a war hero...

What evidence do these writings actually have that the accounts of the martyrdoms are accurate?

You don't have proof that any inscriptions , eye witness accounts, or any historical accounts of anything that happened prior to the invention of photography are accurate. Which means you are totally free to reject whatever doesn't suit your ideological position ....... of course the notion of anyone then giving any creedence to your opinion is another matter entirely.
    There is jack all evidence to support the idea that the apostles actually died willingly at all.
    Oh there's evidence alright, but it's evidence you choose to reject (in a quite unbiased manner and entirely coincidentally to it suiting your ideological position to do so of course).
    And the story of Joseph Smith shows that a fraud can be killed and that can be spun by believers into martyrdom.

Joseph Smith obviously died willingly in that firefight to spread the word of Mormonism

Do you understand what 'die willingly' actually means? Smith was shooting back at his attackers. People usually do this because they're trying to stay alive.
    And what about the practitioners of Falun Gong who are actively, today, being captured and tortured by the Chinese government for their beliefs?
    Why do they not count?

Or how about the Heaven Gate cult? Who all willingly killed themselves because of their beliefs?
    Why do they not count.

Oh and btw these are just a few of the more recent examples, we can find hundreds of examples of people both enduring and committing horrible stuff because they believed in a supernatural event that you don't believe in.
    Yet some none of them count.

Are you genuinely unable to understand the difference (pointed out earlier in this thread) between people who die for their sincerely held beliefs and people who would die for something that they know to be a fraud?

Try to think really hard for a few minutes. I'm sure it'll come to you eventually.
    Kindly link to where I said you did?

I specifically said that the ultimatum was made, not that you made it.

But you certainly have been doing a bang up job of moving those goalposts.

When someone is 'moving the goalposts' it usually refers to their having stated one position and then subsequently shifting their ground.

This quite surreal conversation I'm having with you is, as far as I can remember, the first time that I've ever been accused of moving the goal posts from a place where I never placed them in the first instance. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

You don't have proof that any inscriptions , eye witness accounts, or any historical accounts of anything that happened prior to the invention of photography are accurate. Which means you are totally free to reject whatever doesn't suit your ideological position ....... of course the notion of anyone then giving any creedence to your opinion is another matter entirely.

We don't have photographic proof that the Battle of the Boyne happened, nor that the accounts of it are accurate.

We don't have photographic proof that the resurrection of Jesus happened, nor that the accounts of it are accurate.

However, one of these is a supernatural event. Surely we ought to be far more skeptical towards the accounts of that one.

ColmDawson wrote: »
    We don't have photographic proof that the Battle of the Boyne happened, nor that the accounts of it are accurate.

We don't have photographic proof that the resurrection of Jesus happened, nor that the accounts of it are accurate.

However, one of these is a supernatural event. Surely we ought to be far more skeptical towards the accounts of that one.

I'd have gone with "we don't have proof that Pythagoras existed... but the square of the hypotenuse of a right angle triangle is still the sum of the squares of its other two sides..."

A good rational idea is a good rational idea regardless of who said it...

So do you accept the autobiographical claims of L. Ron Hubbard even thought they have no other supporting evidence and are something in conflict with such evidence?
    Oh there's evidence alright, but it's evidence you choose to reject (in a quite unbiased manner and entirely coincidentally to it suiting your ideological position to do so of course).
    1) I never rejected it. Please show where I did.
    2) I specifically asked you to state the evidence they provide to support the accounts of the martyrdoms.

However because they are by people who could have benefited from their interpretation, and that they are the only sources for the accounts, I'll treat them like I treat the autobiography of L Ron.
    With extreme skepticism.
    Do you understand what 'die willingly' actually means? Smith was shooting back at his attackers. People usually do this because they're trying to stay alive.
    And again, how do you know this wasn't what the apostles did?
    Maybe they fought back and that fact was conveniently left of the accounts.

Or maybe Joseph Smith fought to a point, then gave up willingly.

Are you actually denying that people don't/can't interrupt his death as martyrdom?
    Are you genuinely unable to understand the difference (pointed out earlier in this thread) between people who die for their sincerely held beliefs and people who would die for something that they know to be a fraud?

Try to think really hard for a few minutes. I'm sure it'll come to you eventually.
    So the leader of Heaven's Gate didn't know it was a fraud and that he was making it up?
    Or the leaders of Falun Gong?

How about Jim Jones?
    Or the guys at Waco?

Or are they just crazy? And that crazy people can inspire true belief in their followers and those followers can die for their beliefs?
    When someone is 'moving the goalposts' it usually refers to their having stated one position and then subsequently shifting their ground.

This quite surreal conversation I'm having with you is, as far as I can remember, the first time that I've ever been accused of moving the goal posts from a place where I never placed them in the first instance. :confused:
    Well we've gone from "There's no other explanation for their devotion." to "why would they die for something they know is a fraud" (which is where you came in) to "why would they willingly die for something they know is a fraud."
    But at each turn when we provide examples of each of these scenarios you've added on a reason why they don't count. I'd call that moving the goalposts.

So... because some people might have died horribly for their faith roughly 2000 years ago, scratch built microbes wouldn't be counted as evidence that life can arise aboigenically from amino acids and lipids?

So it gets right up your nose when a Christian clarifies an inaccurate portrayal of their position.

So you'd prefer it if we let you strawman to your heart's content, lay down and rolled over for you?

Sorry bud, you don't get that kind of free ride - and it does you no credit to seek it.

No it gets up my nose when someone tries to pretend that their position is not their position because of semantics. It is goalpost moving.

If your position is that Jesus rose from the dead and your reason for believing that is the behaviour of his followers in dying for this belief then I am not strawmanning your position and accusing me of doing so because you can't convince me your claim contains some truth is petulant.

Being smug about it doesn't help either.

Well we've gone from "There's no other explanation for their devotion." to "why would they die for something they know is a fraud" (which is where you came in) to "why would they willingly die for something they know is a fraud."
    But at each turn when we provide examples of each of these scenarios you've added on a reason why they don't count. I'd call that moving the goalposts.

What do you mean "we"? I haven't gone from "there's no other explanation" since I was never there in the first place.

How can I have moved the goalposts from somewhere I've never put them in the first place?

Christians do not argue that the disciples being willing to die for their beliefs proves the validity of those beliefs. That would be a silly argument that, mercifully, doesn't exist outside of a strawman factory.

Really? That sounds an awful lot like what Soul Winner is arguing

"If you can explain the rise of early Christianity, the early Christian's genuine belief that Jesus was the Son of God whom they claimed they seen alive and real after His death and died happily proclaiming that testimony under the most horrific and agonizing of deaths then I'm all ears. And if you can explain that people would easily do this (even knowing that they were wrong) for the ones that they love you then need to explain what turned the apostle Paul around from being this new Faith's most aggressive opponent to become its chief apostle. When I hear GOOD explanations of these facts without needing to invoke anything supernatural then I will not be a Christian."

Of course "GOOD" explanations of these things is entirely subjective. He has been presented with plenty of potential explanations, but he has rejected all of them.

No it gets up my nose when someone tries to pretend that their position is not their position because of semantics. It is goalpost moving.

If your position is that Jesus rose from the dead and your reason for believing that is the behaviour of his followers in dying for this belief then I am not strawmanning your position and accusing me of doing so because you can't convince me your claim contains some truth is petulant.

Being smug about it doesn't help either.

It is not semantics.

We have two positions here:

a) People are often willing to die for something that they sincerely believe to be true.

b) People are much less likely to die for something that they know to be fiction.

So, if a Christian makes point (b) then it is clearly no rebuttal to present them with examples of (a). Even a child can see that.

So, if you continue to insist there is no difference between (a) and (b) then it is difficult to see where we can go from there. If you genuinely can't see the difference then there is an intellectual problem. If you do see the difference but insist that it doesn't exist then there is an integrity problem.

My only participation in this thread has been to point out that (a) and (b) are distinct positions and that therefore using examples of (a) to rebutt (b) is not a sensible manner of debate. I think, in my first post to Zillah, I did that politely and within the terms of this Forum's Charter.

For my pains I have now been accused of engaging in semantics, moving goalposts that I never put anywhere else in the first place, being smug, and being petulant. Which all leads me to conclude that it is probably pointless for me, or any other Christian for that matter, to engage in discussion here. Perhaps you want this forum to be a Christian-free zone where only like minded people can produce paradies of theists'positions to their hearts' content and without fear of correction? If so I congratulate you - you appear to be getting progressively closer to your goal.

I've made the one and only point I wanted to make in this thread. Have fun.

(Edit: Even as I have been typing this I see that Wicknight has posted and once again quite blatantly conflated (a) and (b). I give up with you guys. :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

monosharp wrote: »
    Because your supposed god created life. Now humans have done it or are extremely close to doing it fully depending on how you view it.

Not really. Unless humans can create something from nothingness then God still wins.

a) People are often willing to die for something that they sincerely believe to be true.
    Could you give the bible verses (or other accounts) which explain the conditions under which each of the relevant disciples died, what they believed they were being killed for, how they came to be aware of the ideas for which they believed they were being killed, and how this information was gathered and transmitted to the people who wrote it down?

• Advertisement

It is not semantics.

b) People are much less likely to die for something that they know to be fiction.

So, if a Christian makes point (b) then it is clearly no rebuttal to present them with examples of (a). Even a child can see that.

So, if you continue to insist there is no difference between (a) and (b) then it is difficult to see where we can go from there. If you genuinely can't see the difference then there is an intellectual problem. If you do see the difference but insist that it doesn't exist then there is an integrity problem.

My only participation in this thread has been to point out that (a) and (b) are distinct positions and that therefore using examples of (a) to rebutt (b) is not a sensible manner of debate. I think, in my first post to Zillah, I did that politely and within the terms of this Forum's Charter.

For my pains I have now been accused of engaging in semantics, moving goalposts that I never put anywhere else in the first place, being smug, and being petulant. Which all leads me to conclude that it is probably pointless for me, or any other Christian for that matter, to engage in discussion here. Perhaps you want this forum to be a Christian-free zone where only like minded people can produce paradies of theists'positions to their hearts' content and without fear of correction? If so I congratulate you - you appear to be getting progressively closer to your goal.

(Edit: Even as I have been typing this I see that Wicknight has posted and once again quite blatantly conflated (a) and (b). I give up with you guys. :) )

Though having said all you said there and without conflating (a) or (b), neither (a) nor (b) makes the claims of said dead people true.

Sincerely believing something to be true does not make it true.

Suffering death to perpetuate a lie is not unheard of, particularly if that lie can somehow serve what the victim believes to be a greater purpose.

The disagreement here before your first post was that the willing death of the apostles was/was not strong evidence for the reserruction. They may well have sincerely believed what they were saying was true, they may have believed that the reserruction was an essential part of the message they were preaching, who knows. But their belief [(a) not to be conflated with (b), I am giving the apostles the benefit of the doubt] does not make it true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭smokingman

Did anyone catch the knuckle-draggers in rte reporting on this?
    I nearly fell off my couch laughing at the "possible artificial forms of life escaping and terrorising local communities" as if they'd created something from John Carpenters "The Thing".....ah jaysus rte, thought the joe coleman thing was bad enough but you're adding fuel to a fire of those believing there's nothing but creationists running your station!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

smokingman wrote: »
    Did anyone catch the knuckle-draggers in rte reporting on this?
    I nearly fell off my couch laughing at the "possible artificial forms of life escaping and terrorising local communities" as if they'd created something from John Carpenters "The Thing".....ah jaysus rte, thought the joe coleman thing was bad enough but you're adding fuel to a fire of those believing there's nothing but creationists running your station!

Matt Cooper too, with his worried tone of voice and a sigh at the end of the sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I can only imagine Joe Duffy... I dread to think what his callers were saying :(

There really are alot of dickheads in the world

I appreciate you aren't Soul Winner and thus don't speak for him, but I quoted you what he said.

What do you mean "we"? I haven't gone from "there's no other explanation" since I was never there in the first place.

How can I have moved the goalposts from somewhere I've never put them in the first place?
    I said where you came in and how you moved the goalposts.
    It is not semantics.

I have provided you examples of both these scenarios but fro things you don't believe are true.

We've also pointed out that stories can be conflated, exaggerated and changed to suit a purpose.
    I.e. Joseph Smith dying willingly.
    We have also pointed out that you have not been able to show this isn't the case with the apostles.

I've been addressing both of these points and why they aren't a defence or evidence of a supernatural event.

You however don't seem to want to address my points however, preferring to hide behind indignation.
    So your whinging doesn't really ring true I'm afraid.

Wicknight wrote: »
    I appreciate you aren't Soul Winner and thus don't speak for him, but I quoted you what he said.

You quoted what I said about position (a) and then posted what Soul Winner said about position (b) as if they were talking about the same position. It's not for me to determine whether you're doing it deliberately or not.

Wags finger at the use of "whinging"...

Keep it nice, folks.

I said where you came in and how you moved the goalposts..
    No you didn't. I merely came in to point out the difference between (a) and (b) and why it makes no sense to try to use one to refute the other. That is the only point I have made in this thread. Therefore my goalposts have remained where they were when I entered the thread.
    I've been addressing both of these points and why they aren't a defence or evidence of a supernatural event.
    You have, but I'm not sure why since I made the very same point in my first post.

I have confined myself to pointing out the very real difference between (a) and (b).
    You however don't seem to want to address my points however, preferring to hide behind indignation
    Why would I address your points when they have nothing to do with anything I posted? If you want to argue with Soul Winner then that's between the too of you.
    So, I point out the very real difference between (a) and (b), and then I get accused of moving the goalposts, being smug, being petulant, and of engaging in semantics. When, quite reasonably, I point out that such insults in response to a straightforward and polite post are hardly likely to encourage theists to engage with this forum, I now get accused of whinging.

Welcome to the A&A forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

To address the thread title: No.

Whether or not humans can create life is entirely irrelevant in the debate concerning the existence of a god or gods. As pointed out, it may in fact strengthen some creationist positions.

Us creating life =/= no-one created the universe.

No you didn't. I merely came in to point out the difference between (a) and (b) and why it makes no sense to try to use one to refute the other. That is the only point I have made in this thread. Therefore my goalposts have remained where they were when I entered the thread.
    You started with the arguement that "it is unlikely someone would die for something they know is false."
    We provided you with examples of this very thing.
    You added the addendum "willingly."
    That is be definition, moving the goal posts.

And even then we showed example of this, and that how unwilling death could be interpreted as martyrdom.
    So, I point out the very real difference between (a) and (b), and then I get accused of moving the goalposts, being smug, being petulant, and of engaging in semantics. When, quite reasonably, I point out that such insults in response to a straightforward and polite post are hardly likely to encourage theists to engage with this forum, I now get accused of whinging.

Welcome to the A&A forum.
    Dramatic exits don't really work when you do them twice....

You quoted what I said about position (a) and then posted what Soul Winner said about position (b) as if they were talking about the same position. It's not for me to determine whether you're doing it deliberately or not.

No I didn't, read it again.

I quoted what you said about (a) and then Soul Winners position which also relates to (a)

"If you can explain the rise of early Christianity, the early Christian's genuine belief that Jesus was the Son of God whom they claimed they seen alive and real after His death and died happily proclaiming that testimony under the most horrific and agonizing of deaths then I'm all ears."

:rolleyes:

Genuine belief being the key phrase here. Soul Winner is asking for an alternative explanation for how these people would genuinely believe, demonstrated by willingness to die, all this if it wasn't true, an argument you yourself seem to realize is silly. People genuinely believe and die for things that aren't true all the time, as Zillah pointed out with his flaming monk.

If you insist in being needlessly argumentative then I'm questioning what exactly you think you are bringing to this discussion.

I'm still interested to find out how many disciples died, how they died, what reason they thought they were dying for, and how everything was transmitted without error or bias back to the guys who wrote down their stories.

I'd have thought this vital plank in the christian religion would have been of some interest to christians, but with the question avoided twice in one week, it seems I'm wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Wicknight wrote: »
    History seems to suggest that any scientific discover is simply absorbed into the dogma and doctrine...

I have that same impression of those who tie themselves to the evolutionary model. Every discovery is woven into the core idea - and is cited as a strengthening of the dogma. I suppose the same goes for religion as for scientific theory: so long as the observations can be accomodated, the 'theory' can be considered sound. If the theory can't adapt to accomodate then it gets dumped.

So far so good in terms of Gods existance in the face of this latest science (which says less about the creation of life than it does the partial copying of it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I have that same impression of those who tie themselves to the evolutionary model. Every discovery is woven into the core idea - and is cited as a strengthening of the dogma.

Just to clarify, do you reject evolution?

• Advertisement

I have that same impression of those who tie themselves to the evolutionary model. Every discovery is woven into the core idea - and is cited as a strengthening of the dogma.

What do you mean by the "core idea"?

To me the core idea of evolution is that species slowly evolve into other species. The details have significantly changed since Darwin's day.

Saying that new discoveries are woven into the dogma is a bit like saying new discovers of cosmology are woven into the dogma of "outer space exists"

Contrast that with what religions do and the difference should be clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Some people here need to watch Derren Brown's "Messiah" episode.

Just sayin'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Just to clarify, do you reject evolution?

In what I way? I think it fits the realm of the scientific method as it is currently done. Which is not to say I think science best explains the realm of reality.

In what I way? I think it fits the realm of the scientific method as it is currently done. Which is not to say I think science best explains the realm of reality.
    So is that a no?

And what do you think works better at explaining reality than rigorous experiment based on falsifiable hypothesises?
    Guessing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

In the way that the theory of evolution describes how life gradually changed from pre-single celled organisms to all the life we see today through a process of mutation and natural selection. Do you accept this version of events as being accurate?

And if not, what do you think happened? Basically I'm asking are you a young (or old) earth creationist?

• Advertisement
Advertisement