Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hot rod starlet

• 21-05-2010 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi lads, I'm just getting into a bit of hotrod raceing and I have a 1ltr starlet (class1)86/87 model. Does anybody know how much I can skim the head down? 1 fella told me 10 thou but another told me I can take 40 thou off it. What would be the best? It's a good engine and there gettn hard to find now so I don't want to feck it up. Any other info I can get on getting more from the car will be good to.
    Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

why de ya want to skim the head, did the gasket blow or somethin?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ZANKOU

Wouldn't you get more compression eirha skimmed head? I want to get as much as I can from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

You will increase the compression by skimming the head but at the end of the day it is only a 1L.

If there is wear in your pistons/rings chances are that extra compression will end up in the sump anyway!

You will also need to add more fuel. There is no point having extra air in there without the fuel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

if you increase the compression ratio the engine with run hotter and it will probably suffer from detonation (pinking) and will be more lightly to fail. if i was you id fit a 4 speed gearbox, the reason being, a slower top end speed but a faster takein off

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ZANKOU

I have the 4 speed gearbox but it isn't enough some of the cars can pass me as if I was parked at the side of the track. I have asked some fellas about what they have done and they say just a skimmed head but I have heard of fellas using rally fuel and turbo starlet gearboxes. I'm not sure if it's true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

I had a rear wheel drive Starlet years ago, mine was not very fast but I enjoyed seeing them race on TV, I think lads put much bigger engines into them. Would smaller wheels help the gearing much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Is your engine a built race engine or is it one from a road car? What class are you running in? What engine mods are allowed (cam, carb etc)? If no engine mods are allowed, I'm thinking that a full blueprinted engine rebuild is on the cards, making max use of the manufacturer's tolerances.

Also, what "tricks" can be done with the carb, with polishing, chokes, jets etc (I dont know if there are any tricks) and what tricks can be done to the advance springs in the distributor?

With regard to the gearbox, the only advantage I can see at the moment of a turbo gearbox is the limo. However, a study of the gear ratios and CWP ratio is needed before deciding on the 4 speed or 5 speed.

How much weight is left in the car? I hope the underseal and sound deadening material is gone....

Edit - Are you still running an alternator? Can you legally remove it? Can you fit an electric water pump as opposed to the mechanical one?

woody33 wrote: »
    I had a rear wheel drive Starlet years ago, mine was not very fast but I enjoyed seeing them race on TV, I think lads put much bigger engines into them. Would smaller wheels help the gearing much?

1.5 from the Liteace was a popular upgrade years back when Liteaces and rwd starlets were common enough.

Advertisement