Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic Roof Repair

• 21-05-2010 9:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Just looking for any advice on what I could use to patch up a very small tear in a plastic roof, similar to the one below. It's in a new (used) van I bought and the tear is right at the back where the roller shutter is. It's only small and it drips outside the shutter anyway but would prefer to get it sorted. There's not a lot of room for play so I'm guessing I may need some kind of paste?

Was thinking I could prop it up with a piece of wood where the tear is and then from above paint some paste over it to try and bond the torn bit together?

Must also be careful not to make it sag where water may build up.

92112733.jpg

Would appreciate any advice at all :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Spannerman7

Get a fiberglass repair kit from an autofactor, follow the destructions and give it a spray of paint after, would this do the job for you Cormie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the reply :)

Never heard of a fiber glass kit? Do you just mix some things together, apply and it bonds together?

I was in a building providers and they suggested to use flashing tape, they said roofers use it and it should definitely do the job. Haven't tried apply it yet though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭PrimalTherapy

would this help.? saw it in tesco but do not know enough to know if it would do your job. no connection to jml/tesco
    http://www.jmldirect.com/currency/EUR/Fix-It-PF8157/

Looks good alright, but I can't stand JML, most of the things they sell are things they make you believe you need when you don't even want them :p

Mightn't be the best for the nature of the tear in the plastic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

Flashing tape will do the job you can use copydex aswell if ye can stand the smell, Its a very stong horse glue

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestion. Would I use that WITH the flashing tape or one or the other?

Depends on the size of the tear. If you rub the copydex along the fray it will stop it getting bigger. Id use the flashing tape aswell just to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Nah - just go to trusty B&Q and buy a "Repairpatch", they come in two sizes, little, and a bit bigger, you peel off the backing and apply, and they stick like a sticky thing, they can be moulded to any shape, and they set really fast into a tough, permanent repair. We use em at work, and they are the dogs danglies and perfect for this situation.

Never heard of them before but if your talking from expierience then sound like the job... I pressume theyre waterproof yes:)

Just thought of this now, Wavin glue it will weld the plastic together again depends on the gap and the material too. Might be a good idea or a very bad one. how thick is the plastic

• Advertisement

It's a big enough tear alright, I'll have a go and see how it turns out, thanks :)

The repair patches are good-we use them to repair damaged plastic skylights on industrial roofs, they never fail to stick, they mould to any shape, and they cure by uv light in sunlight. Once cured, the will of God would not shift them, and they are all round wonderful, and bleedin perfect for what you want. Will you just go out and get one, NOW. Stop your messin.:D:D

Just saw your recommendation now, oops, missed it earlier. Sounds like you've done this before alright. B&Q is a looong way away though :(

Where are you?, if its miles to a b/q, pm me and ill post you one just to keep you happy.:)

Ah thanks, well I drive for a living so I'd pass them the odd time, but there's a woodies just up the road from me. Would it be better than the flashing I wonder? What's the brand name/description? :)

Self adhesive flashing is pure, unadulterated muck and fit only for wrapping sandwiches. The patches are called"Fibertech Rapid Repair patch", they come in a single sheet pack sized about A4, and I think they may well sell them in Woodies world of wonder or Atlantic childcare. If you wanted a viable alternative, use a bit of tec-7, that will do the job as well, but won't look as neat as the repair patch, and won't last as well either. And these patches will fix pretty much anything flattish and smooth that has cracked, split, leaked or skuttered itself. As will Tec 7 - the answer to all of lifes problems. If it moves and it shouldnt, use tec 7. If it doesn't move, and it should, use WD40!

Haha, thanks for the great advice :) What is it you do anyway?

So choice one is: Fibertech Rapid Repair patch
    Choice 2 is: Tec 7
    Choice 3: Flashing I guess since I have it already hehe

Do everything - have a small building co, do house refurbs and extensions, also do a lot of work for the likes of Tesco, Lidl and the pharma and haulage industry, if it can be welded, erected, dug or concreted, we do it. Also do a lot of industrial and domestic plumbing, and fill a lot of potholes!

Cool, thanks a lot for the help. When you say the haulage industry, what exactly do you do? Might have a nixer for you actually, to erect/weld some beams/hooks/holes for strapping furniture etc to in the van. Would need to be sturdy but can't go through to the outside as I don't want rivets on the van at all so would have to be built around the supporting frame and floor that's there at the moment.

I fix their buildings - haulage companies own an awful lot of big buildings and yards. Don't fix their trucks tho! Wish I did, cos theres money in it!

• Advertisement

There sure is, I've been quoted a bit too high a figure so I may try some DIY :)

I didnt think of tec7:( aw well but i did look at a demo of that Fibertech Rapid Repair patch and all i can say is just wow. Im gonna buy loads of em and find places to put them. That is impressive stuff. Thats my 1 piece of info learned today now its time for bed good luck folks>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZvCOvrL1ts

good enough vid there which also demonstrates the patch. Patch looks a good bit thicker than I Imagined which is good too :) Must have a look in woodies today :)

My work here is done:D:D:D

Picked up a 300x250 sheet in Woodies, €20:eek:

The sun had already bit farewell to the sky directly above me by the time I had a chance to apply it so didn't want to risk it without DIRECT UV rays. Will probably get a chance tomorrow :)

Nah, fire it right on Cormie, the sunl come out tomorrow, bet your bottom dollar, tomorrow therel be sunshine...... chorus.......:)

ah it's too late :P I better get to bed haha. I'll let you know how it turns out anwyay!

Itl be gorgeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

@Dunsandin

I have a couple of cracked roof tiles and was gonna cement the piece of tile back in place, sand down a bit to get a 'key' then cover with some of this Fibertech Rapid Repair Patch stuff.

I bought a roll of it in B&Q for other stuff but the thought of the roof slates came to me :D

Good idea?

• Advertisement
Advertisement